"Being first isn?t the point, being the best is"

Status
Not open for further replies.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Well, although I do admit to possibly getting a Passport when it comes out, I think it's actually the BlackBerry Quasimodo phone. It is an abomination.

However, the tech behind it is intriguing, and since I'm a geek I'm curious enough to buy one, depending on the price. But then again, having nearly zero apps is really a serious flaw that I'm not keen on looking past.

But THIS iPhone 6....WOW....Apple really did hit it out of the ballpark. Quality. Just QUALITY.

Yeah, I thought about picking up a blackberry Quasimodo to go with my iPhone 6.
But what's the point.

Picked up an iPhone 6 plus instead, couldn't be happier. :).

Regarding the quality, I completely agree. I don't think I can go back to a plastic phone anyway.

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Here is a thought then....if you're sensitive, about anything, it is generally not a good idea to go poking at a Rottweiler when she's having a good time and interrupting her good time....it will get you a bite....and when you do get bitten, remember it was your actions that caused that bite.

HaHa. This gives the term...Bite Me, a whole new meaning.:yes::p

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I thought about picking up a blackberry Quasimodo to go with my iPhone 6.
But what's the point.

Picked up an iPhone 6 plus instead, couldn't be happier. :).

Regarding the quality, I completely agree. I don't think I can go back to a plastic phone anyway.

Yup. Apple might have come late to the large screen market but they did it right with no compromises. My battery is fantastic. Speed is fantastic. Smooth.

Perfect.

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6

Paradocks

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Yup. Apple might have come late to the large screen market but they did it right with no compromises. My battery is fantastic. Speed is fantastic. Smooth.

Perfect.

There are always compromises. Where is the pen input? Where is the split screen multitasking functionality? If Apple created the perfect, no compromise iPhone, I guess there is no room for improvement and Apple need not create an iPhone 6S or iPhone 7 or iPhone 8.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
There are always compromises. Where is the pen input? Where is the split screen multitasking functionality? If Apple created the perfect, no compromise iPhone, I guess there is no room for improvement and Apple need not create an iPhone 6S or iPhone 7 or iPhone 8.

Apple left their stylus back in 2004 where it belongs.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

I would love for you to show me where I said this, or any device, was the perfect device. I work in IT. I *know* there is no "the perfect xxxxx" because different use cases require different solutions.

I *have* said that this phone is the perfect device *for me.*. Meaning that for *my* use case, this iPhone meets or exceeds my requirements and expectations.

As far as a stylus - that is a use case feature that bears no draw or importance to me.

As far as a split screen - that is a fantastic feature but on a personal device I do not find it useful. On my work issued note 2, it is fantastic.

So, *this* iPhone is *the perfect device for me* because it integrates seamlessly and effortlessly with all my other devices, it gives me those functionalities that are important for me based on my use case, and because thus far it has proven its dependability by being absolutely trouble free in syncing, in set up, and in interoperability.

Paradocks

May 5, 2012
Visit site
I would love for you to show me where I said this, or any device, was the perfect device. I work in IT. I *know* there is no "the perfect xxxxx" because different use cases require different solutions.

I *have* said that this phone is the perfect device *for me.*. Meaning that for *my* use case, this iPhone meets or exceeds my requirements and expectations.

As far as a stylus - that is a use case feature that bears no draw or importance to me.

As far as a split screen - that is a fantastic feature but on a personal device I do not find it useful. On my work issued note 2, it is fantastic.

So, *this* iPhone is *the perfect device for me* because it integrates seamlessly and effortlessly with all my other devices, it gives me those functionalities that are important for me based on my use case, and because thus far it has proven its dependability by being absolutely trouble free in syncing, in set up, and in interoperability.
In the post I quoted you stated that the new iPhone has no compromises and was perfect. You did not say it was perfect for you, just perfect. I was only pointing out (like you did in your reply) that every phone has compromises. I did not mean to ruffle your feathers, and if I did I apologize.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
In the post I quoted you stated that the new iPhone has no compromises and was perfect. You did not say it was perfect for you, just perfect. I was only pointing out (like you did in your reply) that every phone has compromises. I did not mean to ruffle your feathers, and if I did I apologize.

Please note the use of the word "my" as a qualifier.

The first statement is a general statement. I then use the word "my" to describe my impression of the device.

"Yup. Apple might have come late to the large screen market but they did it right with no compromises. My battery is fantastic. Speed is fantastic. Smooth.

Perfect. "

It's not a matter of ruffled feathers. It's a matter of not accepting words or meaning that I did not say or convey.

Paradocks

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Please note the use of the word "my" as a qualifier.

The first statement is a general statement. I then use the word "my" to describe my impression of the device.

"Yup. Apple might have come late to the large screen market but they did it right with no compromises. My battery is fantastic. Speed is fantastic. Smooth.

Perfect. "

It's not a matter of ruffled feathers. It's a matter of not accepting words or meaning that I did not say or convey.

If you wish people to not misunderstand your words and meaning, then using qualifiers like "in my opinion" or "perfect for me" would be a much better way to make your statements. All I saw was that you think the new iPhone has made no compromises whatsoever in the large screen market and that it is the perfect phone, period.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I truly find the Apple detractors to be hilarious. Apple sells 10 million phones in three days - let's say that again, *10 MILLION PHONES IN THREE DAYS - on a LIMITED rollout, and they find it necessary to come into iMore, find positive threads where an article is posted where neither their Android phones are put down nor their upcoming offering that is truly an abomination of design, with the intent of in the case of the first poster, instigate controversy and in the case of the second poster bring up features that are not even desired by the 10 million buyers who scooped up these devices over three days. Then, when confronted with an opposing viewpoint, suddenly go on yelping after a well deserved corrective bite or obsess on the absence of a phrase, even when the meaning was clear.

Boys - if you can't handle the bite, don't poke.

By the way, and to get back to the OP's point because it was a good one that should not be lost with the arrival of detractors, is the fact that Apple did absolutely design a winner. And THAT is the point of this thread.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I was just thinking about some of the points this gentleman made while I was handling the Plus just yesterday. It dawned on me that with the addition of third party keyboards and the fingerprint scanner, they might have waited to get such things ready before they were to release larger model phones. It is that much easier to use the keyboard with an application like Swiftkey as well as unlock your phone with the press of a finger instead of a passcode.

Man, the wait till next month to get my 6 is getting more and more excruciating. I might just need to take a break from these forums until then. Haha.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I was just thinking about some of the points this gentleman made while I was handling the Plus just yesterday. It dawned on me that with the addition of third party keyboards and the fingerprint scanner, they might have waited to get such things ready before they were to release larger model phones. It is that much easier to use the keyboard with an application like Swiftkey as well as unlock your phone with the press of a finger instead of a passcode.

Man, the wait till next month to get my 6 is getting more and more excruciating. I might just need to take a break from these forums until then. Haha.

It will be sweet. It is a winner. You'll love it.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Here is a thought.....the Passport has a 1:1 aspect ratio. Apps are almost universally 16:9. BlackBerry has given over consumer app development. How will all those apps lifted off Android work on a device with a 1:1 aspect ratio when the very company that built that device didn't bother to accommodate its own customer App Store?

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
And not to mention the fact that Android is moving over to Art runtime and not dalvik anymore.
Honestly I think the passport is gonna flop harder then Amazon fire phone lol.

Sent from my HTC M8

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
It will have buyers. BlackBerry hard core fans are lining up and it's aimed at the medical industry. It's already got a partnership with a large medical company.

But as far as the consumer market, I don't know. It's bad enough that users are encouraged to lift Android APKs but now those apps won't run for the very reason you stated.

I just don't know. BlackBerry will post a positive quarter tomorrow and the phone will go on sale in Europe on the 26th. It will be interesting.

I'll pull up a chair and grab some coffee and study the trends.

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I think Apple takes ideas from all platforms and makes them their own. They usually make it better and smoother.

But it is funny to witness. My dad just updated to iOS 8 and was showing me all these "new" features that were clearly from Windows and BlackBerry devices. I mean, kudos to Apple, they make it work and take the best from each platform!

When I mentioned "that's a feature from BlackBerry 10 UI" he scoffed. Unheard of! Haha.

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if this will become a trend, but our entire practice is switching from Apple to BlackBerry! It's a large cardiology practice.

Last edited:

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Tnpt sure if this will become a trend, but our entire practice is switching from Apple to BlackBerry! It's a large cardiology practice.

That's exactly the target. It will be interesting.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
It will have buyers. BlackBerry hard core fans are lining up and it's aimed at the medical industry. It's already got a partnership with a large medical company.

Working in the medical field myself, that device seems to be much less useful than most of the mainstream phones for any practitioner I know.
A relatively small, square screen will be useless for viewing any sort of computerized imaging, and since healthcare information is generally displayed using portals or applications like Citrix and not stored on the device directly, the square screen will also hinder usage of standardized applications like this.

That thing is designed for emails and spreadsheets. It's designed for a CEO who still thinks that carrying a feature-limited device means that he'll be more productive, despite the lack of actual productivity software.

Meanwhile, we're deploying iPads and iPhones all over the place, as tools for a variety of projects. Even Surface pro tablets are starting to creep into usage in some places where more portable power is needed. If they're trying to encroach into the medical world, they're going about it the wrong way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234