There are always compromises. Where is the pen input? Where is the split screen multitasking functionality? If Apple created the perfect, no compromise iPhone, I guess there is no room for improvement and Apple need not create an iPhone 6S or iPhone 7 or iPhone 8.
    Apple left their stylus back in 2004 where it belongs.
    FFR, mikeo007, Issa-7 and 2 others like this.
    09-22-2014 02:23 PM
    There are always compromises. Where is the pen input? Where is the split screen multitasking functionality? If Apple created the perfect, no compromise iPhone, I guess there is no room for improvement and Apple need not create an iPhone 6S or iPhone 7 or iPhone 8.
    I would love for you to show me where I said this, or any device, was the perfect device. I work in IT. I *know* there is no "the perfect xxxxx" because different use cases require different solutions.

I *have* said that this phone is the perfect device *for me.*. Meaning that for *my* use case, this iPhone meets or exceeds my requirements and expectations.

As far as a stylus - that is a use case feature that bears no draw or importance to me.

As far as a split screen - that is a fantastic feature but on a personal device I do not find it useful. On my work issued note 2, it is fantastic.

So, *this* iPhone is *the perfect device for me* because it integrates seamlessly and effortlessly with all my other devices, it gives me those functionalities that are important for me based on my use case, and because thus far it has proven its dependability by being absolutely trouble free in syncing, in set up, and in interoperability.
    anon4757448 likes this.
    09-22-2014 03:17 PM
    I would love for you to show me where I said this, or any device, was the perfect device. I work in IT. I *know* there is no "the perfect xxxxx" because different use cases require different solutions.

I *have* said that this phone is the perfect device *for me.*. Meaning that for *my* use case, this iPhone meets or exceeds my requirements and expectations.

As far as a stylus - that is a use case feature that bears no draw or importance to me.

As far as a split screen - that is a fantastic feature but on a personal device I do not find it useful. On my work issued note 2, it is fantastic.

So, *this* iPhone is *the perfect device for me* because it integrates seamlessly and effortlessly with all my other devices, it gives me those functionalities that are important for me based on my use case, and because thus far it has proven its dependability by being absolutely trouble free in syncing, in set up, and in interoperability.
    In the post I quoted you stated that the new iPhone has no compromises and was perfect. You did not say it was perfect for you, just perfect. I was only pointing out (like you did in your reply) that every phone has compromises. I did not mean to ruffle your feathers, and if I did I apologize.
    09-22-2014 03:25 PM
    In the post I quoted you stated that the new iPhone has no compromises and was perfect. You did not say it was perfect for you, just perfect. I was only pointing out (like you did in your reply) that every phone has compromises. I did not mean to ruffle your feathers, and if I did I apologize.
    Please note the use of the word "my" as a qualifier.

The first statement is a general statement. I then use the word "my" to describe my impression of the device.

"Yup. Apple might have come late to the large screen market but they did it right with no compromises. My battery is fantastic. Speed is fantastic. Smooth.

Perfect. "

It's not a matter of ruffled feathers. It's a matter of not accepting words or meaning that I did not say or convey.

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6
    Chrisy likes this.
    09-22-2014 03:34 PM
    Please note the use of the word "my" as a qualifier.

The first statement is a general statement. I then use the word "my" to describe my impression of the device.

"Yup. Apple might have come late to the large screen market but they did it right with no compromises. My battery is fantastic. Speed is fantastic. Smooth.

Perfect. "

It's not a matter of ruffled feathers. It's a matter of not accepting words or meaning that I did not say or convey.

If you wish people to not misunderstand your words and meaning, then using qualifiers like "in my opinion" or "perfect for me" would be a much better way to make your statements. All I saw was that you think the new iPhone has made no compromises whatsoever in the large screen market and that it is the perfect phone, period.
    09-22-2014 03:45 PM
    I truly find the Apple detractors to be hilarious. Apple sells 10 million phones in three days - let's say that again, *10 MILLION PHONES IN THREE DAYS - on a LIMITED rollout, and they find it necessary to come into iMore, find positive threads where an article is posted where neither their Android phones are put down nor their upcoming offering that is truly an abomination of design, with the intent of in the case of the first poster, instigate controversy and in the case of the second poster bring up features that are not even desired by the 10 million buyers who scooped up these devices over three days. Then, when confronted with an opposing viewpoint, suddenly go on yelping after a well deserved corrective bite or obsess on the absence of a phrase, even when the meaning was clear.

Boys - if you can't handle the bite, don't poke.

By the way, and to get back to the OP's point because it was a good one that should not be lost with the arrival of detractors, is the fact that Apple did absolutely design a winner. And THAT is the point of this thread.

mikeo007 likes this.
    09-23-2014 04:55 AM
    I was just thinking about some of the points this gentleman made while I was handling the Plus just yesterday. It dawned on me that with the addition of third party keyboards and the fingerprint scanner, they might have waited to get such things ready before they were to release larger model phones. It is that much easier to use the keyboard with an application like Swiftkey as well as unlock your phone with the press of a finger instead of a passcode.

Man, the wait till next month to get my 6 is getting more and more excruciating. I might just need to take a break from these forums until then. Haha.
    09-23-2014 05:07 AM
    I was just thinking about some of the points this gentleman made while I was handling the Plus just yesterday. It dawned on me that with the addition of third party keyboards and the fingerprint scanner, they might have waited to get such things ready before they were to release larger model phones. It is that much easier to use the keyboard with an application like Swiftkey as well as unlock your phone with the press of a finger instead of a passcode.

Man, the wait till next month to get my 6 is getting more and more excruciating. I might just need to take a break from these forums until then. Haha.
    It will be sweet. It is a winner. You'll love it.

SprSynJn likes this.
    09-23-2014 05:11 AM
    Here is a thought.....the Passport has a 1:1 aspect ratio. Apps are almost universally 16:9. BlackBerry has given over consumer app development. How will all those apps lifted off Android work on a device with a 1:1 aspect ratio when the very company that built that device didn't bother to accommodate its own customer App Store?

Beyond Fire and Chrisy like this.
    09-23-2014 05:24 AM
    And not to mention the fact that Android is moving over to Art runtime and not dalvik anymore.
    Honestly I think the passport is gonna flop harder then Amazon fire phone lol.

Sent from my HTC M8
    09-23-2014 05:35 AM
    It will have buyers. BlackBerry hard core fans are lining up and it's aimed at the medical industry. It's already got a partnership with a large medical company.

But as far as the consumer market, I don't know. It's bad enough that users are encouraged to lift Android APKs but now those apps won't run for the very reason you stated.

I just don't know. BlackBerry will post a positive quarter tomorrow and the phone will go on sale in Europe on the 26th. It will be interesting.

I'll pull up a chair and grab some coffee and study the trends.

09-23-2014 05:43 AM
    I think Apple takes ideas from all platforms and makes them their own. They usually make it better and smoother.

But it is funny to witness. My dad just updated to iOS 8 and was showing me all these "new" features that were clearly from Windows and BlackBerry devices. I mean, kudos to Apple, they make it work and take the best from each platform!

When I mentioned "that's a feature from BlackBerry 10 UI" he scoffed. Unheard of! Haha.
    09-23-2014 06:39 AM
    Not sure if this will become a trend, but our entire practice is switching from Apple to BlackBerry! It's a large cardiology practice.
    Last edited by Chrisy; 09-23-2014 at 03:28 PM.
    09-23-2014 06:39 AM
    Tnpt sure if this will become a trend, but our entire practice is switching from Apple to BlackBerry! It's a large cardiology practice.
    That's exactly the target. It will be interesting.

09-23-2014 07:54 AM
    It will have buyers. BlackBerry hard core fans are lining up and it's aimed at the medical industry. It's already got a partnership with a large medical company.
    Working in the medical field myself, that device seems to be much less useful than most of the mainstream phones for any practitioner I know.
    A relatively small, square screen will be useless for viewing any sort of computerized imaging, and since healthcare information is generally displayed using portals or applications like Citrix and not stored on the device directly, the square screen will also hinder usage of standardized applications like this.

That thing is designed for emails and spreadsheets. It's designed for a CEO who still thinks that carrying a feature-limited device means that he'll be more productive, despite the lack of actual productivity software.

Meanwhile, we're deploying iPads and iPhones all over the place, as tools for a variety of projects. Even Surface pro tablets are starting to creep into usage in some places where more portable power is needed. If they're trying to encroach into the medical world, they're going about it the wrong way.
    FFR and Issa-7 like this.
    09-23-2014 10:38 AM
    Working in the medical field myself, that device seems to be much less useful than most of the mainstream phones for any practitioner I know.
    A relatively small, square screen will be useless for viewing any sort of computerized imaging, and since healthcare information is generally displayed using portals or applications like Citrix and not stored on the device directly, the square screen will also hinder usage of standardized applications like this.

That thing is designed for emails and spreadsheets. It's designed for a CEO who still thinks that carrying a feature-limited device means that he'll be more productive, despite the lack of actual productivity software.

Meanwhile, we're deploying iPads and iPhones all over the place, as tools for a variety of projects. Even Surface pro tablets are starting to creep into usage in some places where more portable power is needed. If they're trying to encroach into the medical world, they're going about it the wrong way.
    You will hear soon-ish of yet another government agency trading in BlackBerry devices for Samsung Note.
    09-23-2014 10:53 AM

Exactly.
    When I asked the physicians in my circle their thoughts on the passport, they laughed.
    When I brought up the example about the lung X-ray, they retorted, "What about the arms the legs or the spine?

Suffice to say all upgraded to an iPhone 6/6plus. The ones that upgraded to the 6 did so because of one handed use, while the ones that upgraded to the 6+ cited the screen as a primary reason.

Both reasons prove the passport to be ineffective for physicians: lack of one handed use and awkward 1:1 screen.
    Not to mention, no enterprise or medical apps and clunky is that lacks integration with third iPads.

The passport will be an epic failure for blackberry.

Chrisy: by any chance is your practice located in Toronto or Waterloo?
    09-23-2014 11:01 AM
    No, it's a fairly large practice located in the US. Our physicians won't be using them to view X-rays as that's not generally the diagnostic procedure of our practice. I can't see doctors relying on iPhone or iPad screens to view X-rays and diagnose either. They're all too small. Since I work in cardiology, the needs are different. Every practice will have differing needs based on speciality and what EHR they use. We use Intergy, and our cardiologists deal with Echos, EKGs, Nuclear Stress Tests, cardiac PET imaging, heart rate monitors, and event monitors. So, it's not ALL about the screen images. Many of the images scanned into our EHR represent data other than simple X-rays.

Hopefully BlackBerry can get back in the game and move ahead. I don't think Apple innovates, but they improve existing ideas consistently. They seek out the best in other platforms, make it prettier and easy to use. And people like that! Simple is good.

I just think it's funny when someone who's only use Apple products think Apple invented the wheel. When I see a "stolen" feature on a new iOS I can't help but wonder why that feature is praised on iPhone and goes ignored on a Windows phone. I think it's mostly advertisement. I guess.
    Last edited by Chrisy; 09-23-2014 at 03:50 PM.
    09-23-2014 03:37 PM
    Why is the stylus still being brought up? I don't need to have a stylus attached to my phone.

I have 10 of them attached to my hands.
    qbnkelt and Chrisy like this.
    09-23-2014 04:26 PM
    No, it's a fairly large practice located in the US. Our physicians won't be using them to view X-rays as that's not generally the diagnostic procedure of our practice. I can't see doctors relying on iPhone or iPad screens to view X-rays and diagnose either. They're all too small. Since I work in cardiology, the needs are different. Every practice will have differing needs based on speciality and what EHR they use. We use Intergy, and our cardiologists deal with Echos, EKGs, Nuclear Stress Tests, cardiac PET imaging, heart rate monitors, and event monitors. So, it's not ALL about the screen images. Many of the images scanned into our EHR represent data other than simple X-rays.

Hopefully BlackBerry can get back in the game and move ahead. I don't think Apple innovates, but they improve existing ideas consistently. They seek out the best in other platforms, make it prettier and easy to use. And people like that! Simple is good.

I just think it's funny when someone who's only use Apple products think Apple invented the wheel. When I see a "stolen" feature on a new iOS I can't help but wonder why that feature is praised on iPhone and goes ignored on a Windows phone. I think it's mostly advertisement. I guess.
    I'm sure you know that BB10 took heavily from WebOS.

As far as making things pretty and simple, I would rather look at an attractive OS than a dark and depressing palette. Additionally, even the most professional user prefers a UI than one that is draining and overly complicated.

Given a choice i would prefer a UI that is a pleasure to use. Apple understands that and nails it.

09-23-2014 07:34 PM
    -2vjdcuf.jpg

Allow me to attempt to engage with you at you at your own level.
    09-26-2014 10:47 AM
    If you want a curved phone, get an LG. They make one that comes that way, on purpose.
    A895 likes this.
    09-26-2014 11:04 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2vjdcuf.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	66312

Allow me to attempt to engage with you at you at your own level.
    Your first day back and you're picking fights again? Really???
    mikeo007 and FFR like this.
    09-26-2014 01:23 PM
    Your first day back and you're picking fights again? Really???
    Must be a slow learner.
    qbnkelt and mikeo007 like this.
    09-26-2014 01:26 PM
    The level of desperation of some BlackBerry enthusiasts to try to somehow focus away from their abomination of a device is amazing.
    http://forums.imore.com/iphone-6-plu...osed-bend.html

Yup....the phones bend if you do something stupid like FORCE them to bend...DUH....OR put them in your back jeans pocket and sit on it.....DUH...

By the way, I hear sales for the Quasim....er....Passport exceeded expectations. They actually sold 200 THOUSAND units since Wednesday. WOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://crackberry.com/over-200000-bl...hop-blackberry

oh right....Apple sold 200 thousand units in the first sixty minutes....ooops....
    mikeo007 and FFR like this.
    09-26-2014 01:30 PM
104 1234 ...