This article states that Apple is getting some pretty good deals on bank transaction fees with Pay. But it also says that both Best Buy and Walmart will NOT be accepting payments from the new Apple NFC service. I guess those places prefer less secure payment processes.

Part of the concern stems from new out-of-network payment initiatives created by consortiums made up of powerful retailers, like the Merchant Customer Exchange, which counts Walmart and Best Buy as members. Not coincidentally, the two big-box stores on Thursday announced they will not be accepting Apple Pay.

"There are schemes that don't respect and honor the payment networks," said MasterCard's SVP for mobile product development James Anderson. "We want to invest in programs that respect our role in the ecosystem."
    Apple Pay nets favorable transaction fees from banks, denied support from Walmart and Best Buy
    09-12-2014 12:41 AM
  2. LandRovers said: Best Answer

Well, they might come on board soon, as we've seen with CarPlay, not everyone goes first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Probably waiting to see how it goes over, think they will come on board at some point.
    09-12-2014 12:45 AM
    Probably waiting to see how it goes over, think they will come on board at some point.
    I don’t know. The quote is by some guy in a consortium that sounds like he’s protecting his own. Maybe Apple was wanting more than they were willing to give. Of course, these things have a way of working out in the end.
    09-12-2014 12:46 AM
    I don’t know. The quote is by some guy in a consortium that sounds like he’s protecting his own. Maybe Apple was wanting more than they were willing to give. Of course, these things have a way of working out in the end.
    Hope so, think Apple is actually on to something with this Apple pay.
    09-12-2014 12:55 AM
    What is wrong with those guys? Why dont they just bend over and accept Apple's proprietary NFC standards? Weird.
    09-12-2014 06:29 AM
    Hope so, think Apple is actually on to something with this Apple pay.
    I've been reading a lot about this new payment method and still not completely sold on it. But if it's to take off and go mainstream it will be Apple that does it
    09-12-2014 09:04 AM
    I guess I won't be shopping at best buy and walmart.
    09-12-2014 09:38 AM
    Well, they might come on board soon, as we've seen with CarPlay, not everyone goes first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    09-12-2014 10:18 AM
    I guess I won't be shopping at best buy and walmart.
    That was my initial reaction. Clearly these guys have turf to protect. Perhaps Best Buy will relent, but Walmart, not so sure.
    09-12-2014 11:20 AM
    Of all people best but needs it the most.
    09-12-2014 11:29 AM
    I'm not worried about Walmart. I do very little shopping there, if ever. I do hope Target decides to pick up on this, though. I also hope Best Buy comes around... I do quite a bit of shopping for my electronics there (for Apple products its my go-to)...
    09-12-2014 01:11 PM
    I'm not worried about Walmart. I do very little shopping there, if ever. I do hope Target decides to pick up on this, though. I also hope Best Buy comes around... I do quite a bit of shopping for my electronics there (for Apple products its my go-to)...
    Target was mention in the announcement keynote as being on board.
    09-12-2014 01:32 PM
    Target was mention in the announcement keynote as being on board.
    I saw that, but it seemed to only be the online purchases through the app. Will be keeping my eyes open
    09-12-2014 01:35 PM
    Would be very convenient for me if they put it in Walmart since I am there at least once a week
    09-12-2014 02:40 PM
    It's because those retailers are using CurrentC. To save people unexpected grief when they start to realize Apple Pay will be hamstrung, here are some popular places where Apple Pay will not be accepted:

Walmart, Shell, Wendys, Southwest, Target, KMart, Lowes, Kohls, 7-11, Bed bath and Beyond, Old Navy, Gap, Best Buy, CVS, Exxon, Rite Aid, Sams Club, Costco, Sears, Chillis, Dicks, 76, Dunkin Donuts.
    09-13-2014 06:50 PM
    It's because those retailers are using CurrentC. To save people unexpected grief when they start to realize Apple Pay will be hamstrung, here are some popular places where Apple Pay will not be accepted:

Walmart, Shell, Wendys, Southwest, Target, KMart, Lowes, Kohls, 7-11, Bed bath and Beyond, Old Navy, Gap, Best Buy, CVS, Exxon, Rite Aid, Sams Club, Costco, Sears, Chillis, Dicks, 76, Dunkin Donuts.
    Target WILL accept Pay. They are a member of both organizations (CurrentC and an Pay partner). They were also demoed at the iPhone launch. I am sure others from your list will/have signed on with Apple, as well.

Why Walmart and Best Buy aren't backing Apple Pay
    09-13-2014 07:05 PM
    Target WILL accept Pay. They are a member of both organizations (CurrentC and an Pay partner). They were also demoed at the iPhone launch. I am sure others from your list will/have signed on with Apple, as well.

Why Walmart and Best Buy aren't backing Apple Pay
    Also even if they don't support  Pay directly, shouldn't it work for any NFC terminal but maybe without the extra security Apple built in? Time will tell I suppose.
    09-13-2014 07:10 PM
    Target will accept Apple Pay via the iOS app. Target retail stores will not as they (as did Walmart) removed the NFC scanners years ago. In fact it appears all of the MXC merchants removed their NFC terminals (7-11 was the most recent).

It's possible things could change, but Apple pay would have to be a huge deal instead of floundering like Passport did.

I'd be more concerned if wireless carriers are going to support Apple Pay before I worried about the retailers.
    09-13-2014 07:21 PM
    I would hope that Best Buy would eventually hop on, but Target and Walmart? I'd shop anywhere before I shop there.
    09-14-2014 03:48 PM
    I would hope that Best Buy would eventually hop on, but Target and Walmart? I'd shop anywhere before I shop there.
    Go to the thread that You started on Crackberry. You will get some great info there...
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=958573
    Posted via the Android iMore App!
    09-14-2014 04:00 PM
    I hope Best Buy changes their mind. Haven't shopped at Walmart in 15yrs, so they're not a factor.
    09-14-2014 09:50 PM
    Go to the thread that You started on Crackberry. You will get some great info there...
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=958573
    Xenophobic, much? News flash for you: I will post here and there as I please, I will learn and find out what I need when I need to and absolutely no one, certainly not you, is going to do a damn thing about it. Grow up, genius.
    09-15-2014 01:40 AM
    Xenophobic, much? News flash for you: I will post here and there as I please, I will learn and find out what I need when I need to and absolutely no one, certainly not you, is going to do a damn thing about it. Grow up, genius.
    Overreact much? Maybe he was just trying to be helpful. Or maybe your overly sensitive to the fact that you're trying to troll. Anyway, it's a good thread and I like how even Crackberry put you in your place while you were trying bash Apple
    09-15-2014 07:33 AM
    I very rarely go to walmart as it is. If I need oil for my car I go to autozone. If I need an accessory for my phone and don't want to wait for it in the mail I go to an apple store. So if walmart and bestbuy don't support apple pay then there will be someone else that does. I just hope my local food market supports it.
    09-15-2014 08:12 AM
    Whoa!! I'm being friendly. I haven't seen you since the beginning of that thread. I thought you might have missed something./s
    Do you know the definition of Xenophobic? I'm trying to figure out how you came to that conclusion?

PS. I'm not a Genius, I have to wear Velcro runners..

Last edited by Skier1960; 09-15-2014 at 09:47 AM.
    09-15-2014 09:37 AM
45 12