So how exactly is Apple losing marketshare to Google's Android platform?

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Then you might consider trying to read it again. He wasn't talking about overall market share. The subject of this thread was never that of overall market share.

So, gosh, what to make of this thread now. We all agree that Android dominates the smart phone market in unit terms, and that Apple continues to do well in the high end (although I find the claim of 80% high end market share rather extreme). And Apple continues to make very good profits.

I suspect that the likes of SeanHRCC (*) and Karenkcoulter are trying to prove that "Apple RuLeZ" and "Android SuX". In which case, fine. They can pick the figures that most flatter their favourite company - which seems to be unit market share in smart phones above $200. Over at Android Central I'm sure they will pick different numbers (probably unit market share in smart phones overall) and also make themselves happy. And pity the poor souls at Windows Phone Central and the Blackberry forum (whatever it's called) because they have no nice numbers to call their own.

My point is that such selective reading of numbers to support some not-defined criteria for which large American corporation "rUleZ" is rather ridiculous.

(*) SeanHRCC is a person who quotes Jeremy Clarkson in her/his signature.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't think Android devices suck...in fact, I had one for several years as a work phone, and while I didn't prefer it vs. my personal iPhone, it didn't suck. I actually find many of the higher end Android based devices to be pretty nice, and have some cool features I wish would some how port over to the iPhone (albeit in a more polished form). So to that I must retort with no, your suspicion (like pretty much all of your insinuations) have been 100% wrong.

As a stock holder, I always want Apple to do well...so yes, I do take a personal interest in their numbers (and haven't worried about profit off my shares since the day I bought them...it's interesting watching the roller coaster over the years)...personally though, I could care less who sells what as long as the phone that I prefer is available for me to buy...where you continue to get this thread wrong is in the fact that I'm some how calling Android a lesser product (even as an OS) than the iPhone/iOS. Not at all...they do have their fair share of great products, they just make most of their money (they being Google) on low end, bottom tier phones under $200...and all I was saying was that Apple doesn't worry about that market (obvious from their lack of contention in it)...that and anyone who truly tries to argue marketshare numbers as a whole vs. Apple's singular product is a dimwit.

And I proudly use quotes from Jeremy Clarkson in my signature...he's a fantastic entertainer on television, he shares many of the same automotive opinions that I do myself, and above all else, he's pretty damn funny. I suppose you probably feel he's racist and should be removed from BBC...not surprising at all given your contributions to this discussion to this point.

You know what's really ridiculous though? A troll that doesn't even bother to address the topic appropriately...we've had better trolls than you, and we'll have better ones in the future. So far you've been disappointing in that regard.

cbobb123

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Then you might consider trying to read it again. He wasn't talking about overall market share. The subject of this thread was never that of overall market share.

Which is why this thread is pointless. Regardless of how many mid range smart phones Android are selling, they still have 90% market share. Proving that Apple sells more high end handsets does not change that.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Which is why this thread is pointless. Regardless of how many mid range smart phones Android are selling, they still have 90% market share. Proving that Apple sells more high end handsets does not change that.

You've completely missed the point of the thread, that does not mean the thread is pointless...it just means you don't understand it (or refuse to understand it, in either case the end result is the same). The point (once again, for the umpteenth time) is the fact that people love to find things to trash Apple about...whether it be a niche feature they don't jump on early, or in more common cases, the fact that they are losing "marketshare" and should be "concerned"...concerned over a market they don't even participate in (which is low tier, entry level cellular phones)? It's asinine, and I used the link in the original post to define this.

Hopefully you can walk away with this with a bit more clarity...but if not, simply walking away would suffice too.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
As a stock holder, I always want Apple to do well...so yes, I do take a personal interest in their numbers (and haven't worried about profit off my shares since the day I bought them...it's interesting watching the roller coaster over the years)...personally though, I could care less who sells what as long as the phone that I prefer is available for me to buy...where you continue to get this thread wrong is in the fact that I'm some how calling Android a lesser product (even as an OS) than the iPhone/iOS. Not at all...they do have their fair share of great products, they just make most of their money (they being Google) on low end, bottom tier phones under $200...

Fine, personally I bought an Android phone largely because it was cheap.

and all I was saying was that Apple doesn't worry about that market (obvious from their lack of contention in it)...that and anyone who truly tries to argue marketshare numbers as a whole vs. Apple's singular product is a dimwit.

You say "anyone who truly tries to argue marketshare numbers as a whole vs. Apple's singular product is a dimwit". An argument is used to advance a point of view. What point are you trying to make? Market share is a number and a product is a product. You can't argue (for example) "85% is better/worse than an iPhone". That doesn't make any sense.
If your point is that overall unit market share is not relevant to anything, then I disagree.
If your point is that overall unit market share is not the only criteria by which to judge Apple, then I agree.
If your point is something else, please state it.

And I proudly use quotes from Jeremy Clarkson in my signature...he's a fantastic entertainer on television, he shares many of the same automotive opinions that I do myself, and above all else, he's pretty damn funny. I suppose you probably feel he's racist and should be removed from BBC...not surprising at all given your contributions to this discussion to this point.

Which contributions of mine do you consider relevant to Jeremy Clarkson's employment by the BBC?

You know what's really ridiculous though? A troll that doesn't even bother to address the topic appropriately...we've had better trolls than you, and we'll have better ones in the future. So far you've been disappointing in that regard.

I find it very disrespectful that you continue to call me a troll. I am addressing exactly the topic by trying to get you to explain exactly what the topic is!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I have explained it...numerous times, and in the same way each and every time...you can find it disrespectful all you want, but I'm simply calling a spade a spade.

If your point is that overall unit market share is not relevant to anything, then I disagree.

I never said the word "anything", I said it wasn't relevant when trying to judge the condition of a company on the market like Apple vs. the numerous devices on the low end that it doesn't even compete with.

If your point is that overall unit market share is not the only criteria by which to judge Apple, then I agree.

You ALMOST got it there, except you worded it in a way so that you intentionally didn't...clever, but a bit obvious. Overall unit marketshare of Android based devices is not a relevant criteria to judge Apple in terms of their status within the market itself. Apple does not make taco shell benders, so we can't say "Man, Apple is really suffering in the taco shell bending market...", and the same can be said about the entry level, low tier cellular phone market.

Your bleeding heart tone of your comments is what I was referencing in terms of Jeremy Clarkson...assumptive, yes, but it follows in line with the kind of arguments presented by those who oppose him...the kind where major pieces of presented information are omitted to further an argument or agenda. Take that for what it's worth.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Friendly reminder folks.........
[INFO]
P.U.P.P.A.H
(Be Polite, Understanding, Patient, Professional, Attentive and Helpful)

• Be polite. We ask that you keep your language clean and polite.
  • Be understanding and patient. You may be a power user or developer, but the person you’re talking to on the other end may be a complete newbie. Be patient, and provide all details possible if you’re posting about a problem (descriptive thread title always helps).
  • Be a pro. Don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If someone responds in a poor or rude fashion, ignore it. If you notice a pattern of rude or poor behavior from a particular member, report them to our moderators. If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all. In a nutshell, ‘think before you post’.
  • Be attentive and helpful. Answer questions in a timely manner when you can, and provide thoughts and suggestions that might lead to the solution of a members’ problem.
[/INFO]

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Here's some more!

Sour Cream
Thong Bikinis
Bobble Heads
Collegiate Foam Fingers (really, any foam fingers)
Park Benches
Styrofoam Products
Plastic Ponchos
Wicker Baskets
Adirondack Chairs
Bicycle U-Locks
Spray on Air Fresheners
Scented Candles

...Apple is really falling behind on these things...they should be concerned.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm really shocked that Apple has fall to a level where they wouldn't be concerned or focus on any number of these markets as well...

Sparkling water
Lawn fertilizer
Gel based deodorants
Bologna and various cheeses
Christmas Lights (this may present a religious conflict with people who do not celebrate Xmas)
Banana hammocks
Tube repair kits
Contractor garbage bags
Off Road tires
Synthetic motor oil
Ice Cream Sandwiches

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
No, what I need is for Apple to improve their market share in the Scotch market.

That is a fact!! There are so many markets in which they could infiltrate with a cheap watered down scotch. But darn it, they only produce a premium scotch and it is murdering their statistics. I am equally concerned to learn earlier today that they are now losing market share in
spackle
corn dogs
string cheese
spanx
cat litter
jewelry candles
grass seed
dice

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Sean, Karen and Finn, you all caught me off-guard with your lists. That was funny as heck....and if I had been eating something, I might have choked........

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I found a few more markets Apple needs work in.
Fireplace Logs
Lamp Shades
Duck Callers
Squeegees
Bookmark Tassels
Wire Coat Hangers
Mood Rings
Pill Cutters
What a shame!

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5