Why pay $700 for an iPhone when....?

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
One plus one has a long way to go before they are even close to on apples playing field in terms of build, design, and operating system. This is just ridiculous

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

OS maybe. But what's wrong with the One's Design/Build?

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
OS maybe. But what's wrong with the One's Design/Build?

Nothing is wrong with it. There is nothing wrong with a honda civic, but I'm not going to compare it to a Ferrari in terms of design and performance. That's what we are doing here comparing the civic of the phone world to the Ferrari of the phone world.

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
And yes before anyone asks Samsung would classify as the Lamborghini, htc the Porsche, lg the BMW lol. One plus one is still a civic lol

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I feel like I'm still missing the entire point of this thread...you can stack stipulations and asterisks to a question and point it directly where you want it to go...it usually, in turn, makes the question absolutely moot.

OP, can you fill me in on what exactly you were trying to find out from us? Because surely you weren't simply asking if someone would rather pay $350 vs. $700 for a phone in general...

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Nothing is wrong with it. There is nothing wrong with a honda civic, but I'm not going to compare it to a Ferrari in terms of design and performance. That's what we are doing here comparing the civic of the phone world to the Ferrari of the phone world.

The One is a very nicely built phone. With better specs, and for some people, an arguably better OS. I don't see anything that puts the iPhone years ahead of it like you're making it seem?

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
The One is a very nicely built phone. With better specs, and for some people, an arguably better OS. I don't see anything that puts the iPhone years ahead of it like you're making it seem?

I never once said "years" ahead of anything. I can't even debate how an apple iPhone is better than a one plus one. It seems so rediculous to me. Apple completely levels them on every part of a discussion in comparison. Some people may argue that one plus one is better I won't argue that fact, but end of the day you know and I know one plus one ain't close to touching apples level yet. That's all I will and am going to say about this weird topic. No offence you are welcome to your own opinion but comparing the two phones to me seems weird.

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I never once said "years" ahead of anything. I can't even debate how an apple iPhone is better than a one plus one. It seems so rediculous to me. Apple completely levels them on every part of a discussion in comparison. Some people may argue that one plus one is better I won't argue that fact, but end of the day you know and I know one plus one ain't close to touching apples level yet. That's all I will and am going to say about this weird topic. No offence you are welcome to your own opinion but comparing the two phones to me seems weird.

That's great that you're done discussing it. But my original question still stands, what is better about the iPhone compared to the One Plus One that isn't opinionated? You really make no sense?

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
That's great that you're done discussing it. But my original question still stands, what is better about the iPhone compared to the One Plus One that isn't opinionated? You really make no sense?

Better is always opinionated. Opinions sell phones for 750.00 and make low competition sell for 350.00 a pop to stay in the game.

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Better is always opinionated. Opinions sell phones for 750.00 and make low competition sell for 350.00 a pop to stay in the game.

You're a stubborn one aren't ya. The One Plus One is far from low competition by any means. With flagships specs it's ONLY a matter of opinion differentiating the two to the consumer.

It is just as good as the 5S and can do everything the 5S can. The only reason everyone shouldn't buy it is because Android isn't for everyone.

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I know what your trying to say though yes one plus one has great stats for being a new phone in the game and for only 350.00... Megapixels, resolution.... iPhone survives from its reputation as having the best customer service, build quality and rated very high on the sexy looking scale. One plus one just ain't there yet nope

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
You're a stubborn one aren't ya. The One Plus One is far from low competition by any means. With flagships specs it's ONLY a matter of opinion differentiating the two to the consumer.

It is just as good as the 5S and can do everything the 5S can. The only reason everyone shouldn't buy it is because Android isn't for everyone.

And I got no problem with android. Galaxy s5 in my opinion is just as good as the iPhone. I own one

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
And I got no problem with android. Galaxy s5 in my opinion is just as good as the iPhone. I own one

Never did I say you had a problem with Android. The One's just as good as the S5. So if you don't think the S5 is worse, what makes you think so of the One?

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Never did I say you had a problem with Android. The One's just as good as the S5. So if you don't think the S5 is worse, what makes you think so of the One?

Design, os, materials. We can do this all day. Yes one plus one has it's merits on the stat sheet. But I want to see a phone on the market longer than 4 months before I compare it to high end manufacturers who have proven themselves year after year. And design plays a huge part and as far as what I can see apple won the design stat from sales.

Derrick4Real

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I've been spending the day pouring over information about the OnePlus One android phone. It's going to launch with cutting edge hardware specs, quality build materials, and a respected version of android free of carrier and OEM bloatware -Cyanogen - and get updates directly. It's already being called significantly better than Google's nexus phones by reviewers who have it so far, and will cost less.

So here's the question. Aside from OS preference or whether you're already invested in android or iOS apps, what incentive is there to buy a $700 iphone , or android for that matter, when they're making this available contract free and unlocked for less than half the price?

I wouldn't pay $700 for any phone. But my reasons would be. It's appears its 5.5 inches and i'd never buy a phone that big period. I have no trouble signing a contract. It only saves me money if i want to switch carriers. And in the 16 years i've had a cell phone i've had every carrier longer than three years. Contract free and unlocked aren't big selling points to me. it's nice but it's never been a priority. I can also get a iphone for $299 on contract and what do i care, i'm gonna have to pay for service anyways. I'll take a discount on the phone. As of now I don't know if it can be activated on my carrier of choice which will likely be T-Mobile. If i stuck with Sprint i'd be dependent on if it worked on Spark and whatever frequencies they had in the near future because again, i'd likely have it for more than two years if the past is a guide. I didn't know about this phone or company until i read this post so i'd have to be comfortable that if it broke i could easily get warranty service. No expandable memory which is a selling point of going to android. If they shrunk it to 5 inches max it may be in the running. but until then i'd have no chance with me as I actually prefer a smaller phone anyways.

That said, saying "aside from the OS" to me is like saying other than taste why choose Coke over Pepsi. Its omitting the primary reason for the choice. The OS is largely why I'm buying the device. So I can't put that aside.

Derrick4Real

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm not disagreeing with any of the above, but I can't help but wonder if those factors are really worth $400 more.

I wouldn't be spending $400 more. I get that you're talking off contract but to me it doesn't matter cause buying on contract only helps me if i want to leave within two years which I haven't.

iphone 5s 32 gb. $299 + $80/month * 24 months = $2219 total spent in 2 years.
If i'm keeping my carrier for more than two year's I'd be an ***** to pay $700 for the same phone. I still have to pay $80 per month. I don't get a discount cause i bought off contract. Shoot they'll likely charge me all the activation fees they normally waive. Some will say but then you can leave early. I'm not gonna leave early

And for this one plus phone it's $299 for 16 gbs and i'm still gonna have to pay $80/month for service. The only benefit, financially, is if i decide i hate the phone and want to leave early and for me that just means I never should have bought the phone to begin with making all this moot because in that case i'd still have been better buying a different phone.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
So much bickering in the forums could be alleviated if folks would simply include two words, "for me", when talking about what's better or worse.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't be spending $400 more. I get that you're talking off contract but to me it doesn't matter cause buying on contract only helps me if i want to leave within two years which I haven't.

iphone 5s 32 gb. $299 + $80/month * 24 months = $2219 total spent in 2 years.
If i'm keeping my carrier for more than two year's I'd be an ***** to pay $700 for the same phone. I still have to pay $80 per month. I don't get a discount cause i bought off contract. Shoot they'll likely charge me all the activation fees they normally waive. Some will say but then you can leave early. I'm not gonna leave early

And for this one plus phone it's $299 for 16 gbs and i'm still gonna have to pay $80/month for service. The only benefit, financially, is if i decide i hate the phone and want to leave early and for me that just means I never should have bought the phone to begin with making all this moot because in that case i'd still have been better buying a different phone.

If you don't have any intentions of leaving your carrier and, of course, barring any unforeseen financial crisis, then yeah, buying via subsidy is arguably the best way to purchase.

anon4757448

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Does it really matter how much I'm willing to spend on my phone? What's good for the goose is not necessarily good for the gander right?

You have your reasons for wanting to spend $300 and I have mine for wanting to spend $700. Silly point to argue if I'm not asking you for the money.

Just my opinion...

Sent from my iPhone 5s using iMore Forums

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I think of it like this:

Someone goes and and buys a high end sports car, such as a McLaren. This person has wanted it for a long time, it fits the needs of this person.

Then, someone else comes along and buys a Corvette. They have wanted this all along as well.

The Corvette owner then starts to ask why the Mclaren owner spent twice as much on a car that performs just as well. The Corvette owner start telling him things such as, "This car has just as much horsepower and torque and it cost me much less", and "This car does everything yours can do and more".

Then they decide to race them. Both cars, while having different engines and everything, perform about the same. Even though the Corvette has more horsepower and better specs on paper, the McLaren and it still perform relatively the same.

The same can be said of the OnePlus One and the iPhone 5s. The 5s, while costing double the price of the OnePlus One, fits the needs of certain people better. Yes, even though on paper the One smokes the 5s in terms of hardware, both phones perform about the same. It all comes down to personal preference: Personally the iPhone does exactly what I want, and is perfect for me. That's whyI pay $700 for a phone compared to $350 :)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I did a bit of research on the phone because I had never heard of it before and wanted to know what the big fuss was about...it seems to have a nice feature set (especially for the cost), but there are some negative marks in comparison with the iPhone 5S, and since that is what Andrew Lima seems to be clamoring for so much, here's a few of them...

- Limited 4G LTE usage...apparently this phone can only connect to certain high speed networks in the UK (which would almost assuredly carry over the same in the states)...and it's apparently due to the antenna build in the device itself (after reading some of the complaint forums from Vodaphone). iPhone 5S has the capability to connect to any high speed network, and is only limited by the carrier itself in terms of what they allow connection to.

- Design cues...removable rear panel but no removable battery? What kind of sense does that make? iPhone has a better build quality all around and is a more solid structure with no (pointlessly) removable panels on the entire body.

- Bigger battery but similar battery performance? Seems weird...since they were trying to really stroke themselves over the better battery than even the most recent Galaxy S and Xperia devices. Apparently the One PlusOne had around the same real world usage numbers as the iPhone 5S and Galaxy S5.

- Camera is not as good...period. They say the autofocus is extremely lackluster and that the device is more comparable to the Moto X, which consistently scores lower than the iPhone 5 on all camera related functionality. When a review has to qualify the picture quality by saying "Hey, this is a good camera phone for $300.", doesn't bode well for people looking at real hardware competency. It also defines the fact that more MP's does not make a better camera...

- Lacking security features. I feel this doesn't need elaboration.

...I'm sure I could nit pick some more details out of it, but if you wanted some examples of what the iPhone 5 does better than this new device, there's a few for ya. Non-opinionated...taken straight from several unbiased reviews of the device.

The One PlusOne is cheap...it's also a very capable phone for the price...but in the end, I'd happily pay twice the amount to stick with an iPhone, even a generation old iPhone 5S...and it still all comes down to preference.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2