Why pay $700 for an iPhone when....?

Davehow

Banned
Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Bear in mind some of you, that you are taking this topic to a level of Android vs iPhone when I intended to test the merits of spending $350 vs $700 every year specifically on the OnePlus One android vs the iPhone. I'm also investigating this same question vs a $700 android.

I meant it when I said I was flexible on the OS, I have an iPhone 5s, and a Sony Xperia Z2 here at home and am equally satisfied with the quality of both.

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Kick the dead horse..... Then kick it again...... Again.... And again

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Bear in mind some of you, that you are taking this topic to a level of Android vs iPhone when I intended to test the merits of spending $350 vs $700 every year specifically on the OnePlus One android vs the iPhone. I'm also investigating this same question vs a $700 android.

I meant it when I said I was flexible on the OS, I have an iPhone 5s, and a Sony Xperia Z2 here at home and am equally satisfied with the quality of both.

I'm not sure I follow how taking it to iPhone/iOS vs Android is different from taking it to iphone/iOS to OneplusOne/android.

If I'm basing much of my monetary value on a phone due to the operating system which runs exclusively on it (in this case the more expensive iphone) then I'm saying I value the worth of iOS to the extent of overshadowing the $350 difference (in your example) over the OS of the OnePlusOne...which is Android (whether it be stock, skinned, Cynogen, etc).

If you are going to discuss the $700 price tag of an iPhone, you cannot exclude the OS that runs on it. Conversely, if you are discussing the value of the OneplusOne, then you must use its OS in the comparison. Android.

Otherwise you are comparing the hardware of two devices that would never turn on, and I wouldn't pay $10 for either ;)

Davehow

Banned
Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure I follow how taking it to iPhone/iOS vs Android is different from taking it to iphone/iOS to OneplusOne/android.

If I'm basing much of my monetary value on a phone due to the operating system which runs exclusively on it (in this case the more expensive iphone) then I'm saying I value the worth of iOS to the extent of overshadowing the $350 difference (in your example) over the OS of the OnePlusOne...which is Android (whether it be stock, skinned, Cynogen, etc).

If you are going to discuss the $700 price tag of an iPhone, you cannot exclude the OS that runs on it. Conversely, if you are discussing the value of the OneplusOne, then you must use its OS in the comparison. Android.

Otherwise you are comparing the hardware of two devices that would never turn on, and I wouldn't pay $10 for either ;)

Because a couple of the responses I got were basically all about OS comparisons and didn't speak to the devices asked about at all. If that were the case, I would've simply said, "hey guys, should I get an android or an iPhone?" which has already been asked a thousand times. On top of that, there's a couple of responses that are acting like this is a challenge or confrontation. It's just a question people, don't read more into it than there is

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Because a couple of the responses I got were basically all about OS comparisons and didn't speak to the devices asked about at all. If that were the case, I would've simply said, "hey guys, should I get an android or an iPhone?" which has already been asked a thousand times. On top of that, there's a couple of responses that are acting like this is a challenge or confrontation. It's just a question people, don't read more into it than there is

I didn't find your post to be confrontational at all (and I don't feel at all that you were referring to me. Just giving my opinion).

The question you posed is a difficult one. For some, the OS overrides hardware. Wipes it out. They'll sacrifice preferences in screen size, camera features, battery life, etc in order to have the OS they prefer. To some, the OS equates to the the total experience. So with a question like the one you posed, you may as well have been asking those people if they prefer iOS vs Android.

I get what type of discussion you are after. But when you throw in total value (since we cannot allocate portions of the price to hardware vs OS) the discussion often steers towards what folks are valuing most and sometimes, that's purely OS.

The hardware of the OneplusOne could include the highest of the high in terms of meaningful specs, up down and all around, and you could price it at $350, but if you are throwing Andoid on it, I don't want it. So for me, it truly is about iOS vs Android.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: An interesting question

I like it because of the OS. iOS is a huge reason why I continue buying Apple products. Another reason is the integration with the rest of my Apple stuff. I can type a note on my iPad and have it appear on my iPhone, iPod, or Mac, which is a great feature I enjoy having. Another is the ease-of-use. I don't have to do workarounds just to get my phone to work, I just pull it out of the box and go. That's my incentive for continually buying iPhones.

This right here.

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site

Without an OS, a phone is a piece metal, plastic, and glass.

Davehow

Banned
Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
See that's just what I mean though. You guys think I'm negating the OS out of the equation, when all I'm saying is that I don't want it to be the only consideration. Referring not to you guys specifically, just to the responses that were making the question into only an android vs iOS thing rather than an android on the OnePlus One vs iPhone thing.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
See that's just what I mean though. You guys think I'm negating the OS out of the equation, when all I'm saying is that I don't want it to be the only consideration. Referring not to you guys specifically, just to the responses that were making the question into only an android vs iOS thing rather than an android on the OnePlus One vs iPhone thing.

In my eyes, Android on the OnePlus One vs iPhone is the same thing as Android vs iOS. There is no getting around it. If carriers, who haves endless cash, stop supporting Android devices after sometimes merely months, who's to say that those behind OnePlus One will still be able to support the thing if they don't have the money in their pockets to do it? That's where the specs thing comes in. It's their best thing to advertise.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

No sir. You started your thread with the following statement:

"I've been spending the day pouring over information about the OnePlus One android phone. It's going to launch with cutting edge hardware specs, quality build materials, and a respected version of android free of carrier and OEM bloatware -Cyanogen - and get updates directly. It's already being called significantly better than Google's nexus phones by reviewers who have it so far, and will cost less."

Not only did you mention "cutting edge hardware specs", you stated that the device will come with a "respected" version of Android. Then you went on to say how reviewers are calling it "significantly better" than the Nexus phones. Was the above more of a device comparison or more of a praise for the the OnePlus One device?

Then you went on to state the following:

"So here's the question. Aside from OS preference or whether you're already invested in android or iOS apps, what incentive is there to buy a $700 iphone , or android for that matter, when they're making this available contract free and unlocked for less than half the price?"

Although you attempted to compose it as a mere question of extra spending, when taken as a whole, it's a question of why buy an iPhone when you can get a technically superior Android device that is cheaper, contract-free and comes unlocked.

Last edited:

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
In my eyes, Android on the OnePlus One vs iPhone is the same thing as Android vs iOS. There is no getting around it. If carriers, who haves endless cash, stop supporting Android devices after sometimes merely months, who's to say that those behind OnePlus One will still be able to support the thing if they don't have the money in their pockets to do it? That's where the specs thing comes in. It's their best thing to advertise.
Cyanogen will keep supporting the OnePlus Plus for a good long time, my friend, bad example haha..

Davehow

Banned
Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
No sir. You started your thread with the follow no statement:

"I've been spending the day pouring over information about the OnePlus One android phone. It's going to launch with cutting edge hardware specs, quality build materials, and a respected version of android free of carrier and OEM bloatware -Cyanogen - and get updates directly. It's already being called significantly better than Google's nexus phones by reviewers who have it so far, and will cost less."

Not only did you mention "cutting edge hardware specs", you stated that the device will come with a "respected" version of Android. Then you went on to say how reviewers are calling it "significantly better" than the Nexus phones. Was the above more of a device comparison or more of a praise for the the OnePlus One device?

Then you went on to state the following:

"So here's the question. Aside from OS preference or whether you're already invested in android or iOS apps, what incentive is there to buy a $700 iphone , or android for that matter, when they're making this available contract free and unlocked for less than half the price?"

Although you attempted to compose it as a mere question of extra spending, when taken as a whole, it's a question of why buy and iPhone when you can get a technically superior Android device that is cheaper, contract-free and comes unlocked.
Except you missed further on in the thread where I conceded that the OS should also be taken into consideration.

You guys are soooo defensive lol! All I really wanted was an answer to whether it was worth it to spend the extra money on iPhone and a bunch took it as if I was making a statement rather than a question and then the railway cart careened off the tracks with this great debate about the minute nuances of how I'm allowed to frame the question.

OK so aside from learning that the OnePlus One isn't going to be a good choice, I've also learned it was like pulling teeth

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Here's what I think: there is no version of real life that any of these platforms absolutely trumps the others. Not Android and iOS.

We just have to enjoy our side of the room...

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Except you missed further on in the thread where I conceded that the OS should also be taken into consideration.
I didn't miss that part...:)

You guys are soooo defensive
No, not really. We like what we like and don't mind letting anyone know. Compared to some of the other sites, we're extremely open-minded to the opinions of others, however, we'll call you out if we think you're being disrespectful of what we like in our own back yard...:)
lol! All I really wanted was an answer to whether it was worth it to spend the extra money on iPhone and a bunch took it as if I was making a statement rather than a question and then the railway cart careened off the tracks with this great debate about the minute nuances of how I'm allowed to frame the question.
Your question was answered by almost all who responded, if not all, and we went on to explain why. The why part is what you seem to take offense to. If you had framed your question as-is and without first framing a picture of the OnePlus One phone, you might have received a non- explanatory answer.

OK so aside from learning that the OnePlus One isn't going to be a good choice, I've also learned it was like pulling teeth
Aw it wasn't that bad...:)....If anything, you've learned that people are passionate about the device they choose. That's all. :)

Last edited:

AAA1337

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
To the OP: you're saying you don't want OS to be the biggest consideration, and don't want this to turn into an Android vs iOS discussion, right? You want to view the devices on hardware and price-to-performance ratio as well.

The issue is, for the majority of the people (speaking anecdotally, you're free to disagree with me here), hardware is a complete non-issue. Sure, the iPhone 5S trumps the S5. The M8 trumps the 5S. The iP6 will trump the M8, and so on. Life goes on, hardware improves, but it makes little difference to the end user experience. Maybe giving a few frames per second while playing hardcore games or something, but not much else.

The only pieces of hardware that matter to most people, are screen resolution/size, battery life, and maybe camera. And these are still minor considerations, since all phones are pretty damn close in all these specs anyway.

That's why ANY comparison of the devices will boil down to OS vs OS. No matter how you try to compare it, Android vs iOS is the biggest deciding factor (assuming one can afford both phones) between a OnePlusOne and a 5S.

Last edited:

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I've been spending the day pouring over information about the OnePlus One android phone. It's going to launch with cutting edge hardware specs, quality build materials, and a respected version of android free of carrier and OEM bloatware -Cyanogen - and get updates directly. It's already being called significantly better than Google's nexus phones by reviewers who have it so far, and will cost less.

So here's the question. Aside from OS preference or whether you're already invested in android or iOS apps, what incentive is there to buy a $700 iphone , or android for that matter, when they're making this available contract free and unlocked for less than half the price?

Well first off, it runs IOS whereas the OnePlus does not lol. Same reason people spend $700+ instead of buying a nexus

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
And I'll add to what everyone's said: OnePlus IS NOT a proven company. Hardly anyone know anything about them. They kinda just popped outa nowhere as far as I know. So people are way more inclined to spend extra from a proven company. People would be more inclined to buy a nexus 5 over a One+One in that regard.

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
If you want to discuss the advantages of a particular phone without discussing it's operating system, then what's the point of the thread?

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums app

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
One plus one has a long way to go before they are even close to on apples playing field in terms of build, design, and operating system. This is just ridiculous

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner