See that's just what I mean though. You guys think I'm negating the OS out of the equation, when all I'm saying is that I don't want it to be the only consideration. Referring not to you guys specifically, just to the responses that were making the question into only an android vs iOS thing rather than an android on the OnePlus One vs iPhone thing.
    08-12-2014 06:56 PM
    See that's just what I mean though. You guys think I'm negating the OS out of the equation, when all I'm saying is that I don't want it to be the only consideration. Referring not to you guys specifically, just to the responses that were making the question into only an android vs iOS thing rather than an android on the OnePlus One vs iPhone thing.
    In my eyes, Android on the OnePlus One vs iPhone is the same thing as Android vs iOS. There is no getting around it. If carriers, who haves endless cash, stop supporting Android devices after sometimes merely months, who's to say that those behind OnePlus One will still be able to support the thing if they don't have the money in their pockets to do it? That's where the specs thing comes in. It's their best thing to advertise.
    08-12-2014 07:04 PM
    No sir. You started your thread with the following statement:

"I've been spending the day pouring over information about the OnePlus One android phone. It's going to launch with cutting edge hardware specs, quality build materials, and a respected version of android free of carrier and OEM bloatware -Cyanogen - and get updates directly. It's already being called significantly better than Google's nexus phones by reviewers who have it so far, and will cost less."

Not only did you mention "cutting edge hardware specs", you stated that the device will come with a "respected" version of Android. Then you went on to say how reviewers are calling it "significantly better" than the Nexus phones. Was the above more of a device comparison or more of a praise for the the OnePlus One device?

Then you went on to state the following:

"So here's the question. Aside from OS preference or whether you're already invested in android or iOS apps, what incentive is there to buy a $700 iphone , or android for that matter, when they're making this available contract free and unlocked for less than half the price?"

Although you attempted to compose it as a mere question of extra spending, when taken as a whole, it's a question of why buy an iPhone when you can get a technically superior Android device that is cheaper, contract-free and comes unlocked.
    Last edited by JustMe'D; 08-12-2014 at 09:10 PM.
    anon4757448, Les74 and taz323 like this.
    08-12-2014 07:23 PM
    In my eyes, Android on the OnePlus One vs iPhone is the same thing as Android vs iOS. There is no getting around it. If carriers, who haves endless cash, stop supporting Android devices after sometimes merely months, who's to say that those behind OnePlus One will still be able to support the thing if they don't have the money in their pockets to do it? That's where the specs thing comes in. It's their best thing to advertise.
    Cyanogen will keep supporting the OnePlus Plus for a good long time, my friend, bad example haha..
    08-12-2014 07:30 PM
    No sir. You started your thread with the follow no statement:

"I've been spending the day pouring over information about the OnePlus One android phone. It's going to launch with cutting edge hardware specs, quality build materials, and a respected version of android free of carrier and OEM bloatware -Cyanogen - and get updates directly. It's already being called significantly better than Google's nexus phones by reviewers who have it so far, and will cost less."

Not only did you mention "cutting edge hardware specs", you stated that the device will come with a "respected" version of Android. Then you went on to say how reviewers are calling it "significantly better" than the Nexus phones. Was the above more of a device comparison or more of a praise for the the OnePlus One device?

Then you went on to state the following:

"So here's the question. Aside from OS preference or whether you're already invested in android or iOS apps, what incentive is there to buy a $700 iphone , or android for that matter, when they're making this available contract free and unlocked for less than half the price?"

Although you attempted to compose it as a mere question of extra spending, when taken as a whole, it's a question of why buy and iPhone when you can get a technically superior Android device that is cheaper, contract-free and comes unlocked.
    Except you missed further on in the thread where I conceded that the OS should also be taken into consideration.

You guys are soooo defensive lol! All I really wanted was an answer to whether it was worth it to spend the extra money on iPhone and a bunch took it as if I was making a statement rather than a question and then the railway cart careened off the tracks with this great debate about the minute nuances of how I'm allowed to frame the question.

OK so aside from learning that the OnePlus One isn't going to be a good choice, I've also learned it was like pulling teeth
    Smply_Rcklss likes this.
    08-12-2014 07:44 PM
    Here's what I think: there is no version of real life that any of these platforms absolutely trumps the others. Not Android and iOS.

We just have to enjoy our side of the room...
    anon4757448 likes this.
    08-12-2014 07:46 PM
    Except you missed further on in the thread where I conceded that the OS should also be taken into consideration.
    I didn't miss that part...

You guys are soooo defensive
    No, not really. We like what we like and don't mind letting anyone know. Compared to some of the other sites, we're extremely open-minded to the opinions of others, however, we'll call you out if we think you're being disrespectful of what we like in our own back yard...
    lol! All I really wanted was an answer to whether it was worth it to spend the extra money on iPhone and a bunch took it as if I was making a statement rather than a question and then the railway cart careened off the tracks with this great debate about the minute nuances of how I'm allowed to frame the question.
    Your question was answered by almost all who responded, if not all, and we went on to explain why. The why part is what you seem to take offense to. If you had framed your question as-is and without first framing a picture of the OnePlus One phone, you might have received a non- explanatory answer.

OK so aside from learning that the OnePlus One isn't going to be a good choice, I've also learned it was like pulling teeth
    Aw it wasn't that bad.......If anything, you've learned that people are passionate about the device they choose. That's all.
    Last edited by JustMe'D; 08-13-2014 at 09:07 AM.
    the_tech_eater likes this.
    08-12-2014 07:59 PM
    To the OP: you're saying you don't want OS to be the biggest consideration, and don't want this to turn into an Android vs iOS discussion, right? You want to view the devices on hardware and price-to-performance ratio as well.

The issue is, for the majority of the people (speaking anecdotally, you're free to disagree with me here), hardware is a complete non-issue. Sure, the iPhone 5S trumps the S5. The M8 trumps the 5S. The iP6 will trump the M8, and so on. Life goes on, hardware improves, but it makes little difference to the end user experience. Maybe giving a few frames per second while playing hardcore games or something, but not much else.

The only pieces of hardware that matter to most people, are screen resolution/size, battery life, and maybe camera. And these are still minor considerations, since all phones are pretty damn close in all these specs anyway.

That's why ANY comparison of the devices will boil down to OS vs OS. No matter how you try to compare it, Android vs iOS is the biggest deciding factor (assuming one can afford both phones) between a OnePlusOne and a 5S.
    Last edited by AAA1337; 08-12-2014 at 08:42 PM.
    08-12-2014 08:29 PM
    I've been spending the day pouring over information about the OnePlus One android phone. It's going to launch with cutting edge hardware specs, quality build materials, and a respected version of android free of carrier and OEM bloatware -Cyanogen - and get updates directly. It's already being called significantly better than Google's nexus phones by reviewers who have it so far, and will cost less.

So here's the question. Aside from OS preference or whether you're already invested in android or iOS apps, what incentive is there to buy a $700 iphone , or android for that matter, when they're making this available contract free and unlocked for less than half the price?
    Well first off, it runs IOS whereas the OnePlus does not lol. Same reason people spend $700+ instead of buying a nexus
    08-12-2014 08:51 PM
    And I'll add to what everyone's said: OnePlus IS NOT a proven company. Hardly anyone know anything about them. They kinda just popped outa nowhere as far as I know. So people are way more inclined to spend extra from a proven company. People would be more inclined to buy a nexus 5 over a One+One in that regard.
    08-12-2014 09:20 PM
    If you want to discuss the advantages of a particular phone without discussing it's operating system, then what's the point of the thread?

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums app
    HAWK likes this.
    08-12-2014 09:28 PM
    One plus one has a long way to go before they are even close to on apples playing field in terms of build, design, and operating system. This is just ridiculous

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums
    the_tech_eater likes this.
    08-12-2014 09:57 PM
    One plus one has a long way to go before they are even close to on apples playing field in terms of build, design, and operating system. This is just ridiculous

OS maybe. But what's wrong with the One's Design/Build?
    08-12-2014 09:59 PM
    OS maybe. But what's wrong with the One's Design/Build?
    Nothing is wrong with it. There is nothing wrong with a honda civic, but I'm not going to compare it to a Ferrari in terms of design and performance. That's what we are doing here comparing the civic of the phone world to the Ferrari of the phone world.

08-13-2014 12:28 AM
    And yes before anyone asks Samsung would classify as the Lamborghini, htc the Porsche, lg the BMW lol. One plus one is still a civic lol

08-13-2014 12:35 AM
    I feel like I'm still missing the entire point of this thread...you can stack stipulations and asterisks to a question and point it directly where you want it to go...it usually, in turn, makes the question absolutely moot.

OP, can you fill me in on what exactly you were trying to find out from us? Because surely you weren't simply asking if someone would rather pay $350 vs. $700 for a phone in general...
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    08-13-2014 12:57 AM
    Nothing is wrong with it. There is nothing wrong with a honda civic, but I'm not going to compare it to a Ferrari in terms of design and performance. That's what we are doing here comparing the civic of the phone world to the Ferrari of the phone world.

The One is a very nicely built phone. With better specs, and for some people, an arguably better OS. I don't see anything that puts the iPhone years ahead of it like you're making it seem?
    08-13-2014 01:16 AM
    The One is a very nicely built phone. With better specs, and for some people, an arguably better OS. I don't see anything that puts the iPhone years ahead of it like you're making it seem?
    I never once said "years" ahead of anything. I can't even debate how an apple iPhone is better than a one plus one. It seems so rediculous to me. Apple completely levels them on every part of a discussion in comparison. Some people may argue that one plus one is better I won't argue that fact, but end of the day you know and I know one plus one ain't close to touching apples level yet. That's all I will and am going to say about this weird topic. No offence you are welcome to your own opinion but comparing the two phones to me seems weird.

08-13-2014 01:26 AM
    I never once said "years" ahead of anything. I can't even debate how an apple iPhone is better than a one plus one. It seems so rediculous to me. Apple completely levels them on every part of a discussion in comparison. Some people may argue that one plus one is better I won't argue that fact, but end of the day you know and I know one plus one ain't close to touching apples level yet. That's all I will and am going to say about this weird topic. No offence you are welcome to your own opinion but comparing the two phones to me seems weird.

That's great that you're done discussing it. But my original question still stands, what is better about the iPhone compared to the One Plus One that isn't opinionated? You really make no sense?
    08-13-2014 01:28 AM
    That's great that you're done discussing it. But my original question still stands, what is better about the iPhone compared to the One Plus One that isn't opinionated? You really make no sense?
    Better is always opinionated. Opinions sell phones for 750.00 and make low competition sell for 350.00 a pop to stay in the game.

08-13-2014 01:47 AM
    Better is always opinionated. Opinions sell phones for 750.00 and make low competition sell for 350.00 a pop to stay in the game.

You're a stubborn one aren't ya. The One Plus One is far from low competition by any means. With flagships specs it's ONLY a matter of opinion differentiating the two to the consumer.

It is just as good as the 5S and can do everything the 5S can. The only reason everyone shouldn't buy it is because Android isn't for everyone.
    08-13-2014 01:49 AM
    I know what your trying to say though yes one plus one has great stats for being a new phone in the game and for only 350.00... Megapixels, resolution.... iPhone survives from its reputation as having the best customer service, build quality and rated very high on the sexy looking scale. One plus one just ain't there yet nope

08-13-2014 01:51 AM
    You're a stubborn one aren't ya. The One Plus One is far from low competition by any means. With flagships specs it's ONLY a matter of opinion differentiating the two to the consumer.

It is just as good as the 5S and can do everything the 5S can. The only reason everyone shouldn't buy it is because Android isn't for everyone.
    And I got no problem with android. Galaxy s5 in my opinion is just as good as the iPhone. I own one

08-13-2014 01:54 AM
    And I got no problem with android. Galaxy s5 in my opinion is just as good as the iPhone. I own one

Never did I say you had a problem with Android. The One's just as good as the S5. So if you don't think the S5 is worse, what makes you think so of the One?
    08-13-2014 02:00 AM
    Never did I say you had a problem with Android. The One's just as good as the S5. So if you don't think the S5 is worse, what makes you think so of the One?
    Design, os, materials. We can do this all day. Yes one plus one has it's merits on the stat sheet. But I want to see a phone on the market longer than 4 months before I compare it to high end manufacturers who have proven themselves year after year. And design plays a huge part and as far as what I can see apple won the design stat from sales.

08-13-2014 02:04 AM
114 12345