08-12-2014 09:26 AM
    You're essentially making this discussion non-sensical by removing the preference of OS...you're basically asking the question:

"Why would you spend $700 on stuff, when you could buy stuff for less than half of that?"

...it makes no sense because the preferences you're omitting are the ONLY things that really matter to most people.

It'd be like asking "Why buy a car for $7,000 when you could have a car for less than half of that?"

Too vague and grossly generic. If they had a phone that did everything that I wanted it to do, looked the way I wanted it to look and came with support in the way I've come to expect for less than half of what I'm used to spending, of course I would buy it...that goes for literally anything on the entire planet, from tomatoes to vacations.
    A good point. I guess I framed it that way because I'm personally not really strongly in preference for either OS and we own a mix of both at home.
    It all comes down to affordability ( if OS is not to be considered). If any Tom D!ck Harry is given 700 USD (with the only condition that he won't get back balance that he saved on One Plus) and ask to choose between the Iphone and One Plus, most likely, he is going to prefer the iPhone.

Same situation in India. Lots of Local companies like Micromax, Lava, etc that have bleeding edge devices with more than latest specs on their devices at abysmal prices. After talking to friends who have tried them out, found out a few things : 1) The feel is cheap 2) Lousy after sales support. with under qualified staff at service centres( to cut costs obviously), which in the first place are far and less. So if you are lucky the phone is rock solid for a good 3 years, else you are out of luck 3) After the initial wowness of higher specs dries off, there is nothing good about the device to make you feel any longing for it and you start fancying your neighbors Iphone. 4) Lack of good quality accessories like screen protector, cases.
    OK, I'll admit I am being a bit of a cheapskate with this thread. I was more or less thinking that I could get a new device off contract every single year this way for a little over half of what it normally costs me.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I have some food for thought now
    08-12-2014 09:32 AM
    OK, I'll admit I am being a bit of a cheapskate with this thread. I was more or less thinking that I could get a new device off contract every single year this way for a little over half of what it normally costs me.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I have some food for thought now
    Just as more food for thoughtlots of people here get a new device every year off-contract by paying even less than that because iPhones hold their value well so if you sell the old one to pick up the new one, the net cost ends up being close to what you would pay for an on-contract device.
    ritesh likes this.
    08-12-2014 10:23 AM
    I've been spending the day pouring over information about the OnePlus One android phone. It's going to launch with cutting edge hardware specs, quality build materials, and a respected version of android free of carrier and OEM bloatware -Cyanogen - and get updates directly. It's already being called significantly better than Google's nexus phones by reviewers who have it so far, and will cost less.

So here's the question. Aside from OS preference or whether you're already invested in android or iOS apps, what incentive is there to buy a $700 iphone , or android for that matter, when they're making this available contract free and unlocked for less than half the price?
    I reckon those are the two reasons that drive my preference for iPhones. I dont like Android as much as I do iOS, so it doesnt matter how cheap the phone is, I wont like to use it. And i have a lot invested in Apple, and I have other Apple devices and come this fall, that would matter even more.
    08-12-2014 10:39 AM
    I've got an Android device and I just recently bought a Lumia 1520. I love both those devices.

BUT.....

I will use iPhones for as long as they provide me with an absolutely trouble free drama free experience. The best specs in the world don't mean a thing if you don't like the product. I *LIKE* the iPhone. The way it handles, the build, the OS, the way it works with everything else, the QUALITY of the apps, the availability of the apps....AND because the iPhone has NEVER failed me, NEVER rebooted, NEVER bricked.

IT.JUST.WORKS.

To me, that trumps everything else.
    Flow39, pr1nce and Speedygi like this.
    08-12-2014 11:12 AM
    I've got an Android device and I just recently bought a Lumia 1520. I love both those devices.

BUT.....

I will use iPhones for as long as they provide me with an absolutely trouble free drama free experience. The best specs in the world don't mean a thing if you don't like the product. I *LIKE* the iPhone. The way it handles, the build, the OS, the way it works with everything else, the QUALITY of the apps, the availability of the apps....AND because the iPhone has NEVER failed me, NEVER rebooted, NEVER bricked.

IT.JUST.WORKS.

To me, that trumps everything else.
    I know pretty much every non-Apple person hates hearing that Apple products "just work", but it's the truth. I have not had one problem, other than my iPad rebooting randomly one time after I bought it and was on the early versions of iOS 7. On the other hand, some of my relatives have Android devices, and they have problems consistently. Calls and texts not going through, random reboots, apps crashing. I don't have to deal with this on iOS.
    the_tech_eater likes this.
    08-12-2014 11:20 AM
    I know pretty much every non-Apple person hates hearing that Apple products "just work", but it's the truth. I have not had one problem, other than my iPad rebooting randomly one time after I bought it and was on the early versions of iOS 7. On the other hand, some of my relatives have Android devices, and they have problems consistently. Calls and texts not going through, random reboots, apps crashing. I don't have to deal with this on iOS.
    Totally agree! I got so sick of hearing my mom tell me that her phone crashed, or that it was running slow(due to the app cache filling up... What the hell is that?) that I bought her an iPhone with my own money lol
    Flow39 likes this.
    08-12-2014 11:34 AM
    I have been an Android user since the HTC Hero on the Sprint network, and would jump on every high end smartphone that was released because of specs, features and size. Them I finally woke up one day, and found myself throwing money away on phones that I was only using 50% of the specs/features. I asked myself why?

Then one day, I got my lil one the iPhone 5s. All I can say is WOW on the smoothness, screen, camera, and just all around feel of the phone. No frills, just what is needed out of a smart phone. I am waiting on the iPhone 6 to see what it has to offer, but I just might go for 5s.

So to the OP, at the end of the day its your $, and your choice... I made mine over a month ago, and I will soon be a convert, lol...
    08-12-2014 11:51 AM
    Three separate 9900s, one 9930, and one 9810 left me stranded. One in the middle of my train ride home. You know what I turned to? My iPhone.

And no it was not user error.

Sent from my beautiful Gold 64G iPhone 5s using the iMore Forums app
    08-12-2014 11:53 AM
    Oh I forgot about the randomly rebooting Z10 I had. With the magically draining battery.

08-12-2014 11:56 AM
    Oh I forgot about the randomly rebooting Z10 I had. With the magically draining battery.

Gotta love those innovative magic battery brainers
    08-12-2014 11:59 AM

Or even worse the older blackberrys where you had to remove the battery once a day to get it to unfreeze.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums
    08-12-2014 12:28 PM
    Luckily those days are behind me.

Regarding the Android devices I've run, they are wonderful BUT I prefer the polish of the iOS experience.
    Specs don't mean smooth, trouble free devices.
    Sent from my SUPER HOT Nokia Lumia 1520 via Tapatalk
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    08-12-2014 12:39 PM
    I've been spending the day pouring over information about the OnePlus One android phone. It's going to launch with cutting edge hardware specs, quality build materials, and a respected version of android free of carrier and OEM bloatware -Cyanogen - and get updates directly. It's already being called significantly better than Google's nexus phones by reviewers who have it so far, and will cost less.

So here's the question. Aside from OS preference or whether you're already invested in android or iOS apps, what incentive is there to buy a $700 iphone , or android for that matter, when they're making this available contract free and unlocked for less than half the price?
    The fact that it's going to have limited support, and the fact that it doesn't really have carrier backing. I know carrier influence is frowned upon at times. But in this case I'd like to have a product that my carrier supports, at least. Not just the fact that I can pop in whatever sim card.
    08-12-2014 01:38 PM

The OnePlus One does not meet my needs. That's why I spent $750 on an iPhone.
    08-12-2014 01:58 PM
    08-12-2014 02:18 PM
    That link code is busted, reposting it

http://bgr.com/2014/08/12/oneplus-la...ting-campaign/
    Lol just read it. These guys are pretty buffoonish, I'm gonna take a pass
    08-12-2014 03:51 PM
    Bear in mind some of you, that you are taking this topic to a level of Android vs iPhone when I intended to test the merits of spending $350 vs $700 every year specifically on the OnePlus One android vs the iPhone. I'm also investigating this same question vs a $700 android.

I meant it when I said I was flexible on the OS, I have an iPhone 5s, and a Sony Xperia Z2 here at home and am equally satisfied with the quality of both.
    08-12-2014 05:01 PM
    Kick the dead horse..... Then kick it again...... Again.... And again

08-12-2014 05:07 PM
    08-12-2014 05:24 PM
    Bear in mind some of you, that you are taking this topic to a level of Android vs iPhone when I intended to test the merits of spending $350 vs $700 every year specifically on the OnePlus One android vs the iPhone. I'm also investigating this same question vs a $700 android.

I meant it when I said I was flexible on the OS, I have an iPhone 5s, and a Sony Xperia Z2 here at home and am equally satisfied with the quality of both.
    I'm not sure I follow how taking it to iPhone/iOS vs Android is different from taking it to iphone/iOS to OneplusOne/android.

If I'm basing much of my monetary value on a phone due to the operating system which runs exclusively on it (in this case the more expensive iphone) then I'm saying I value the worth of iOS to the extent of overshadowing the $350 difference (in your example) over the OS of the OnePlusOne...which is Android (whether it be stock, skinned, Cynogen, etc).

If you are going to discuss the $700 price tag of an iPhone, you cannot exclude the OS that runs on it. Conversely, if you are discussing the value of the OneplusOne, then you must use its OS in the comparison. Android.

Otherwise you are comparing the hardware of two devices that would never turn on, and I wouldn't pay $10 for either

the_tech_eater and Just_Me_D like this.
    08-12-2014 05:28 PM
    I'm not sure I follow how taking it to iPhone/iOS vs Android is different from taking it to iphone/iOS to OneplusOne/android.

If I'm basing much of my monetary value on a phone due to the operating system which runs exclusively on it (in this case the more expensive iphone) then I'm saying I value the worth of iOS to the extent of overshadowing the $350 difference (in your example) over the OS of the OnePlusOne...which is Android (whether it be stock, skinned, Cynogen, etc).

If you are going to discuss the $700 price tag of an iPhone, you cannot exclude the OS that runs on it. Conversely, if you are discussing the value of the OneplusOne, then you must use its OS in the comparison. Android.

Otherwise you are comparing the hardware of two devices that would never turn on, and I wouldn't pay $10 for either

Because a couple of the responses I got were basically all about OS comparisons and didn't speak to the devices asked about at all. If that were the case, I would've simply said, "hey guys, should I get an android or an iPhone?" which has already been asked a thousand times. On top of that, there's a couple of responses that are acting like this is a challenge or confrontation. It's just a question people, don't read more into it than there is
    08-12-2014 05:48 PM
    Because a couple of the responses I got were basically all about OS comparisons and didn't speak to the devices asked about at all. If that were the case, I would've simply said, "hey guys, should I get an android or an iPhone?" which has already been asked a thousand times. On top of that, there's a couple of responses that are acting like this is a challenge or confrontation. It's just a question people, don't read more into it than there is
    I didn't find your post to be confrontational at all (and I don't feel at all that you were referring to me. Just giving my opinion).

The question you posed is a difficult one. For some, the OS overrides hardware. Wipes it out. They'll sacrifice preferences in screen size, camera features, battery life, etc in order to have the OS they prefer. To some, the OS equates to the the total experience. So with a question like the one you posed, you may as well have been asking those people if they prefer iOS vs Android.

I get what type of discussion you are after. But when you throw in total value (since we cannot allocate portions of the price to hardware vs OS) the discussion often steers towards what folks are valuing most and sometimes, that's purely OS.

The hardware of the OneplusOne could include the highest of the high in terms of meaningful specs, up down and all around, and you could price it at $350, but if you are throwing Andoid on it, I don't want it. So for me, it truly is about iOS vs Android.

Last edited by finn5975; 08-12-2014 at 06:42 PM.
    08-12-2014 06:04 PM
    I like it because of the OS. iOS is a huge reason why I continue buying Apple products. Another reason is the integration with the rest of my Apple stuff. I can type a note on my iPad and have it appear on my iPhone, iPod, or Mac, which is a great feature I enjoy having. Another is the ease-of-use. I don't have to do workarounds just to get my phone to work, I just pull it out of the box and go. That's my incentive for continually buying iPhones.
    This right here.
    08-12-2014 06:12 PM
    Without an OS, a phone is a piece metal, plastic, and glass.
    08-12-2014 06:20 PM
114 1234 ...