How many apps are really necessary?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
There's not a uniform answer to your initial question...even omitting any relevance to professional usage. People use apps based on preference and personal need, therefore naming how many is "necessary" would be quite a grey area. For instance, I have several sports apps that are very much covered by singular apps all together, but I prefer the usage of multiple apps for individual features that I like better from app to app...I find it necessary for my satisfaction alone, amongst other reasons.

Maybe someone DOES have a need for 4 different note taking apps for whatever reason...in their case it may be very necessary.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
There's not a uniform answer to your initial question...even omitting any relevance to professional usage. People use apps based on preference and personal need, therefore naming how many is "necessary" would be quite a grey area. For instance, I have several sports apps that are very much covered by singular apps all together, but I prefer the usage of multiple apps for individual features that I like better from app to app...I find it necessary for my satisfaction alone, amongst other reasons.

Maybe someone DOES have a need for 4 different note taking apps for whatever reason...in their case it may be very necessary.
That's why I have 4 3rd party weather apps. They each have at least one great feature the others don't have. If I could find that one with all those features I like, I'd do that.

Smply_Rcklss

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I have 340 something apps on my M8 & 5s combined. I use my 5s for job related work & my M8 for personal use. As Sean stated, I use 3-4 sports apps also. Espn for updates & news & Yahoo sports for live scores.

Tapatalk'n On The 5s

Davehow

Banned
Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
It's not the number that's important it's the number of choices for a chosen category. This is something those poor misguided holdouts for WP and BB don't get.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I've never been one to load up on apps. For me what's necessary are my social apps, a weather app, banking app, time Warner app and a few others.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Tre Lawrence

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site

Well said.

That's the great thing about choice, and why Apple's app ecosystem is so great. One doesn't have to compromise.

Using note-taking for instance, I know a guy who uses one app with cloud functionality for work, one for local device only usage, and one for multi-person collaboration.

Why should he have to use one if he doesn't have to?

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Depends on your needs. I have maybe 23 apps on my phone and even then I am going to uninstall a few because I hardly use them.

Tre Lawrence

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Depends on your needs. I have maybe 23 apps on my phone and even then I am going to uninstall a few because I hardly use them.

This.

If I haven't used a app in a fortnight, I delete it.

One thing I missed on iOS from Android it's the ability (rooted) to backup and delete apps. That way, if I needed to reinstall an app and data at later time, it could be done easily.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Good question and a lot of answers are all valid.

On my iPhone, if I fill three pages up then it's time to go on a purge.

After my last purge, I have a lot of apps that get used a lot, and others that see infrequent use but still enough to warrant being shoved in an 'Apps' folder on my phone - out of the way but still available.

I haven't really downloaded or used any new apps heavily in a while. My iPad used to be full of new games all the time, but I've scaled that back focusing on a couple to play at a time (was getting drowned in new ones and never finished old ones), and mostly use it for web use and videos these days.

I will definitely be getting a bigger iPhone once the new one comes out. 16GB is on the small side for me. Heck, I thought 32GB on my iPad was huge until it got close to full from too many 1GB+ games.

edit: I should mention that I try to avoid overlap in my apps. I have one non-stock weather app (Weather Channel), one scores app, etc. I have several cloud storage apps as I use them all in some way (Dropbox, Google Drive, and Flickr), each one I have has its own unique purpose that makes it untenable for me to delete.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Necessary? What may surprise most of you is that nearly half of all app download activity is done by just 7% of US smartphone owners. The rest just keep what they have. How many new apps have you downloaded in the past month? 75% would say none. Those statistics don't apply to us here on iMore. We're the addicted ones. :D

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I've got around 70 apps. I have a core group that I use almost daily, Tapatalk, photo apps, banking apps, navigation, social apps. Some I use o ce a month, to pay my bills. Amazon I use a lot.
Then I've got some restaurant apps I use a lot.

Sent from my gorgeous sexy white BEAST of a Note 4 ❤

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative