3 pages now. I would probably get more
    I know if I had more than 16 GB, I'd have a lot more apps too
    08-23-2014 09:01 PM
    There's not a uniform answer to your initial question...even omitting any relevance to professional usage. People use apps based on preference and personal need, therefore naming how many is "necessary" would be quite a grey area. For instance, I have several sports apps that are very much covered by singular apps all together, but I prefer the usage of multiple apps for individual features that I like better from app to app...I find it necessary for my satisfaction alone, amongst other reasons.

Maybe someone DOES have a need for 4 different note taking apps for whatever reason...in their case it may be very necessary.
    Well said.

That's the great thing about choice, and why Apple's app ecosystem is so great. One doesn't have to compromise.

Using note-taking for instance, I know a guy who uses one app with cloud functionality for work, one for local device only usage, and one for multi-person collaboration.

Why should he have to use one if he doesn't have to?
    08-24-2014 12:31 AM
    Depends on your needs. I have maybe 23 apps on my phone and even then I am going to uninstall a few because I hardly use them.
    08-24-2014 09:52 AM
    Depends on your needs. I have maybe 23 apps on my phone and even then I am going to uninstall a few because I hardly use them.
    This.

If I haven't used a app in a fortnight, I delete it.

One thing I missed on iOS from Android it's the ability (rooted) to backup and delete apps. That way, if I needed to reinstall an app and data at later time, it could be done easily.
    A895 likes this.
    08-24-2014 02:16 PM
    Good question and a lot of answers are all valid.

On my iPhone, if I fill three pages up then it's time to go on a purge.

After my last purge, I have a lot of apps that get used a lot, and others that see infrequent use but still enough to warrant being shoved in an 'Apps' folder on my phone - out of the way but still available.

I haven't really downloaded or used any new apps heavily in a while. My iPad used to be full of new games all the time, but I've scaled that back focusing on a couple to play at a time (was getting drowned in new ones and never finished old ones), and mostly use it for web use and videos these days.

I will definitely be getting a bigger iPhone once the new one comes out. 16GB is on the small side for me. Heck, I thought 32GB on my iPad was huge until it got close to full from too many 1GB+ games.

edit: I should mention that I try to avoid overlap in my apps. I have one non-stock weather app (Weather Channel), one scores app, etc. I have several cloud storage apps as I use them all in some way (Dropbox, Google Drive, and Flickr), each one I have has its own unique purpose that makes it untenable for me to delete.
    Last edited by mulasien; 08-26-2014 at 10:17 AM.
    08-26-2014 09:56 AM
    Necessary? What may surprise most of you is that nearly half of all app download activity is done by just 7% of US smartphone owners. The rest just keep what they have. How many new apps have you downloaded in the past month? 75% would say none. Those statistics don't apply to us here on iMore. We're the addicted ones.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5
    08-26-2014 11:31 AM
    Neccessary for me are about five (third party) apps.
    09-02-2014 05:25 AM
    Is there a way to remove apps that come with the phone?
    09-21-2014 02:27 PM
    Is there a way to remove apps that come with the phone?
    No. Just stick the ones you don't use in a folder somewhere.
    09-21-2014 02:35 PM
    I always have 3 or even more pages. When I want to reduce the number of apps everything appears to be necessary.
    melmurphy likes this.
    12-12-2014 05:12 PM
    I've got around 70 apps. I have a core group that I use almost daily, Tapatalk, photo apps, banking apps, navigation, social apps. Some I use o ce a month, to pay my bills. Amazon I use a lot.
    Then I've got some restaurant apps I use a lot.

Sent from my gorgeous sexy white BEAST of a Note 4 ❤
    12-15-2014 01:30 PM
    It depends on how to define necessary, I installed a lot of games.
    12-18-2014 12:07 PM
    I have 46 apps. I have three different email clients for three different email addresses. Yes I know I can amalgamate them into one app but this way I totally avoid sending a work email from my personal account by mistake. The decision to use multiple apps was borne out of exactly that error.

I have two note taking apps, the stock one and Evernote. The reason I like Evernote is that I can make a note on my computer and pick it up on my iPad or iPhone instantly.

I have two different news apps, BBC for the UK and LA Times for when I go to Los Angeles, which I do quite a bit.

I have two different browsers, Safari, which I dislike and Atomic Web Browser, which I prefer.

I have two different weather apps, Met Office for the UK and the stock weather app for everywhere else.

Apart from those, every other app I have is not duplicated by another one at all.

Of the stock apps, I do not use Notes, Safari, Stocks, Compass, Facetime, Game Centre or iTunes Store and would happily delete them if I could.
    You would delete the App Store?

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.
    12-18-2014 01:08 PM
    64 apps. 16GB is just enough for those apps
    01-10-2015 02:39 PM
    I mainly use my apps for social and internet. Sometime music and videos. Rarely gaming... Yes i store alot of photos, songs and perhap video.
    01-11-2015 08:32 AM
    As many as you need/want. It's a personal choice about how you use your personal device.

Sent from my mobile device via Tapatalk 3.2.1 - you know, the version BEFORE they totally borked the app.
    01-11-2015 09:34 AM
    Around 50ish, but my iPhone is primary for work
    01-12-2015 10:55 AM
    As many as the end user deems necessary!
    01-13-2015 07:35 AM
    iPad 2 - 54
    iPhone 6 - 29
    02-05-2015 04:08 AM
69 123