Does this apple and google feud make anyone else a bit nervous?

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I use a lot of Google's services. And I can accept the limitations of IOS.
But if it turns into IOS eliminating Google or blocking certain services.
That will be the final push back to Android.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Google doesn't need Apple to survive, it has plenty of mileage on its own Android system. Apple has their own interests, but that's normal. Google, however, would just chug on its own merry way...

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Google doesn't need Apple to survive, it has plenty of mileage on its own Android system. Apple has their own interests, but that's normal. Google, however, would just chug on its own merry way...

Right, I guess I'm just trying to decide which service ecosyestem to commit to in apple hardware. Was thinking of google for a lot of things like browsing, mail , documents, calendar, and possibly cloud storage, but this recent huff with apple had me wary.

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Over the last few months, I have transferred a lot of my services from Google to Apple and Microsoft services. It hasn't really been bad at all. Actually, there are some Apple services that I prefer over the Google counterparts. I have used Bing for search and it hasn't been a bad experience either. I guess if I really wanted to use Google services exclusively, I would go to Android and Chrome OS. But I won't be doing that any time soon.

Sent from my iPad Air. Simply better than the rest.

Exactly, this. Could never pull myself from Gmail though..

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking of possibly signing up for office 365. Seems like a good value, they even give you 1TB of onedrive storage. But I don't know if I'll utilize all the stuff that full office has to offer. The most ill do is type papers for school possibly and make basic spreadsheets.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Over the last few months, I have transferred a lot of my services from Google to Apple and Microsoft services. It hasn't really been bad at all. Actually, there are some Apple services that I prefer over the Google counterparts. I have used Bing for search and it hasn't been a bad experience either. I guess if I really wanted to use Google services exclusively, I would go to Android and Chrome OS. But I won't be doing that any time soon.

Sent from my iPad Air. Simply better than the rest.

We're there particular reasons for moving away from google? Was it privacy concerns?

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Pulling Google services from iOS would be business suicide on Google's part. A lot of money comes from iOS devices using Google services, and like any business, Google is out to make money. :)

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

That's not entirely true;

"Google Could Pay Apple $1 Billion Next Year To Remain Default Search Engine On iOS, Report Says"

http://techcrunch.com/2013/02/12/go...next-year-to-be-default-search-engine-on-ios/

it looks pretty significant even detrimental, especially when you take into account that Google only made $2.9 billion in profit the previous quarter, that's almost a third of their profits just to stay in apples ecosystem.
Compared to 2009 when Google only payed apple $82 million,

Ofcourse there is more, this little nugget of information was revealed back in 2012 during the oracle lawsuit,which by the way oracle has just won an appeal to retry the case;

"Google's Android has generated just $550m since 2008, "

"The figures also suggest that Apple devices such as the iPhone, which use products such as its Maps as well as Google Search in its Safari browser, generated more than four times as much revenue for Google as its own handsets in the same period.

With roughly 200m Android devices having been activated to the end of 2011, including an estimated 90m during the past two years, it suggests that Google derives slightly more than $10 per Android handset per year."

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2012/mar/29/google-earns-more-iphone-android

Now if we could only quantify iOS's contribution to googles bottom line, oh wait it's 80%;

"Google earns 80% of its mobile revenue from iOS, just 20% from Android"

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12..._mobile_revenue_from_ios_just_20_from_android

Here are the figures from the great google maps exodus of 2013:

"Apple Maps took around 80 percent of Google Maps' iOS traffic in one year"

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13...80-percent-of-google-maps-traffic-in-one-year

"Even when including Google's own Android platform into the mix, Apple Maps has had a devastating impact on Google Maps. One year ago, Arthur stated, citing comScore data, 81.1 million were using Google for mapping out of a total population of 103.6 Android and iOS users.

That's a shift from over 78 percent of all Android and iOS mobile users on Google Maps to just short of 43 percent in one year.
On iOS, 35 million users pulled up Apple Maps in the month, out of a total population of 60.1 million users: more than 58 percent.

iOS users accessing Google Maps fell from a peak of 35 million last September to around 6.3 million today, a decrease of more than 80 percent of Google's users. "

Ouch!!
Doesn't look like the bad press did anything to stop people from using apple maps over gmaps, now if we can only find a metric to tell us why? Hmm, oh wait;

"Data from comScore indicates Apple's users interact with Maps more often (9.7 million iOS users access Maps each day, compared to just 7.2 million for Android) and spend more time in mapping apps: 75.5 minutes per month on average, compared to 56.2 on Android."

If apple decides to drop Google search, it will have a detrimental impact on googles bottom line, so far apple has made bing the default search engine for Siri in ios 7, and added bing as their default search engine for spotlight in both Yosemite and Ios 8, Let's see what happens with iOS 9 and Mac OS 10.11 :).

Tre Lawrence

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I think both corporations need the other to a degree. I doubt Apple will, at this point, prefer to go without Google services.

I'm admittedly somewhat biased though, as I would probably not want to fully invest in a platform that doesn't give me access to Googlefied programs.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I think both corporations need the other to a degree. I doubt Apple will, at this point, prefer to go without Google services.

I'm admittedly somewhat biased though, as I would probably not want to fully invest in a platform that doesn't give me access to Googlefied programs.

Yeah, I'd hope so. I do like google services, though I'm still conflicted on the whole privacy thing.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
#1- Why worry about things that are out of your control? ...
#2- Why worry about things that are out of your control? ..
And most of all, why worry about things that are out of your control? Remember Apple & Google need each other more than we need them. If there is a falling out, I will easily adapt and life will go on ...

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
#1- Why worry about things that are out of your control? ...
#2- Why worry about things that are out of your control? ..
And most of all, why worry about things that are out of your control? Remember Apple & Google need each other more than we need them. If there is a falling out, I will easily adapt and life will go on ...

Well, while that's certainly true, I'd rather not continue investing in using google of there's a chance it could not work if I want to continue using apple hardware.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Fair point re: privacy. Everyone collects data, but Big G wrote the book.

Many apple pundits seem very auntie google right now. No clue if there just doing so because apples doing it or what. But honestly, what are the alternatives. Far as I can tell, there isn't anything as good as google services. Gmail a still the best, so is google search. Everyone uses google docs and google drive. And everyone uses YouTube. It's not like everyone's using bing now or outlook.com , even though I don't think those services are necessarily bad. There just not as good as googles at what they do. And most people seem to be not relying on office as much and have gone to google docs. And chrome us arguably the best browser right now .

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
If Apple wants to use Bing as the default option and eliminate Google as an option all together I'll just use Google.com for my search. It's not like they're blocking Google all together. Nothing about this makes me nervous by any stretch of the imagination. I want these giants to duke it out because it benefits us. What I don't like are companies eating each other up and merging. Like when AT&T was going to buy T-Mobile (thank goodness that didn't go through) or how AT&T is purchasing DirecTV. Or Comcast with Time Warner, I believe. I want these guys competing for my business and I don't care if they get a bit ugly with each other.

I'm the first to tell you that I'm heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem. But it doesn't mean I can't just one day drop Apple and not easily replace them. Same goes for Google or pretty much anyone else.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
If Apple wants to use Bing as the default option and eliminate Google as an option all together I'll just use Google.com for my search. It's not like they're blocking Google all together. Nothing about this makes me nervous by any stretch of the imagination. I want these giants to duke it out because it benefits us. What I don't like are companies eating each other up and merging. Like when AT&T was going to buy T-Mobile (thank goodness that didn't go through) or how AT&T is purchasing DirecTV. Or Comcast with Time Warner, I believe. I want these guys competing for my business and I don't care if they get a bit ugly with each other.

I'm the first to tell you that I'm heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem. But it doesn't mean I can't just one day drop Apple and not easily replace them. Same goes for Google or pretty much anyone else.

Are you primarily google services? Or do you have a mix?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative