Google doesn't need Apple to survive, it has plenty of mileage on its own Android system. Apple has their own interests, but that's normal. Google, however, would just chug on its own merry way...
    Right, I guess I'm just trying to decide which service ecosyestem to commit to in apple hardware. Was thinking of google for a lot of things like browsing, mail , documents, calendar, and possibly cloud storage, but this recent huff with apple had me wary.
    07-27-2014 04:05 PM
    Over the last few months, I have transferred a lot of my services from Google to Apple and Microsoft services. It hasn't really been bad at all. Actually, there are some Apple services that I prefer over the Google counterparts. I have used Bing for search and it hasn't been a bad experience either. I guess if I really wanted to use Google services exclusively, I would go to Android and Chrome OS. But I won't be doing that any time soon.

Sent from my iPad Air. Simply better than the rest.
    Exactly, this. Could never pull myself from Gmail though..
    07-27-2014 04:40 PM
    I'm thinking of possibly signing up for office 365. Seems like a good value, they even give you 1TB of onedrive storage. But I don't know if I'll utilize all the stuff that full office has to offer. The most ill do is type papers for school possibly and make basic spreadsheets.
    07-27-2014 05:13 PM
    Over the last few months, I have transferred a lot of my services from Google to Apple and Microsoft services. It hasn't really been bad at all. Actually, there are some Apple services that I prefer over the Google counterparts. I have used Bing for search and it hasn't been a bad experience either. I guess if I really wanted to use Google services exclusively, I would go to Android and Chrome OS. But I won't be doing that any time soon.

Sent from my iPad Air. Simply better than the rest.
    We're there particular reasons for moving away from google? Was it privacy concerns?
    07-27-2014 05:14 PM
    Pulling Google services from iOS would be business suicide on Google's part. A lot of money comes from iOS devices using Google services, and like any business, Google is out to make money.
    07-27-2014 05:42 PM
    Nope. Unless you use the official Gmail client.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Or a business account.
    07-28-2014 02:51 AM
    Google doesn't need Apple to survive, it has plenty of mileage on its own Android system. Apple has their own interests, but that's normal. Google, however, would just chug on its own merry way...
    That's not entirely true;

"Google Could Pay Apple $1 Billion Next Year To Remain Default Search Engine On iOS, Report Says"

http://techcrunch.com/2013/02/12/goo...engine-on-ios/

it looks pretty significant even detrimental, especially when you take into account that Google only made $2.9 billion in profit the previous quarter, that's almost a third of their profits just to stay in apples ecosystem.
    Compared to 2009 when Google only payed apple $82 million,

Ofcourse there is more, this little nugget of information was revealed back in 2012 during the oracle lawsuit,which by the way oracle has just won an appeal to retry the case;

"Google's Android has generated just $550m since 2008, "

"The figures also suggest that Apple devices such as the iPhone, which use products such as its Maps as well as Google Search in its Safari browser, generated more than four times as much revenue for Google as its own handsets in the same period.

With roughly 200m Android devices having been activated to the end of 2011, including an estimated 90m during the past two years, it suggests that Google derives slightly more than $10 per Android handset per year."

http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...iphone-android

Now if we could only quantify iOS's contribution to googles bottom line, oh wait it's 80%;

"Google earns 80% of its mobile revenue from iOS, just 20% from Android"

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/...0_from_android

Here are the figures from the great google maps exodus of 2013:

"Apple Maps took around 80 percent of Google Maps' iOS traffic in one year"

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/...ic-in-one-year

"Even when including Google's own Android platform into the mix, Apple Maps has had a devastating impact on Google Maps. One year ago, Arthur stated, citing comScore data, 81.1 million were using Google for mapping out of a total population of 103.6 Android and iOS users.

That's a shift from over 78 percent of all Android and iOS mobile users on Google Maps to just short of 43 percent in one year.
    On iOS, 35 million users pulled up Apple Maps in the month, out of a total population of 60.1 million users: more than 58 percent.

iOS users accessing Google Maps fell from a peak of 35 million last September to around 6.3 million today, a decrease of more than 80 percent of Google's users. "

Ouch!!
    Doesn't look like the bad press did anything to stop people from using apple maps over gmaps, now if we can only find a metric to tell us why? Hmm, oh wait;

"Data from comScore indicates Apple's users interact with Maps more often (9.7 million iOS users access Maps each day, compared to just 7.2 million for Android) and spend more time in mapping apps: 75.5 minutes per month on average, compared to 56.2 on Android."

If apple decides to drop Google search, it will have a detrimental impact on googles bottom line, so far apple has made bing the default search engine for Siri in ios 7, and added bing as their default search engine for spotlight in both Yosemite and Ios 8, Let's see what happens with iOS 9 and Mac OS 10.11 .
    Speedygi and Not Quite Right like this.
    07-28-2014 03:38 AM
    I think both corporations need the other to a degree. I doubt Apple will, at this point, prefer to go without Google services.

I'm admittedly somewhat biased though, as I would probably not want to fully invest in a platform that doesn't give me access to Googlefied programs.
    07-28-2014 07:53 AM
    I think both corporations need the other to a degree. I doubt Apple will, at this point, prefer to go without Google services.

I'm admittedly somewhat biased though, as I would probably not want to fully invest in a platform that doesn't give me access to Googlefied programs.
    Yeah, I'd hope so. I do like google services, though I'm still conflicted on the whole privacy thing.
    07-28-2014 12:34 PM
    #1- Why worry about things that are out of your control? ...
    #2- Why worry about things that are out of your control? ..
    And most of all, why worry about things that are out of your control? Remember Apple & Google need each other more than we need them. If there is a falling out, I will easily adapt and life will go on ...
    ajl and joemd60 like this.
    07-28-2014 02:32 PM
    #1- Why worry about things that are out of your control? ...
    #2- Why worry about things that are out of your control? ..
    And most of all, why worry about things that are out of your control? Remember Apple & Google need each other more than we need them. If there is a falling out, I will easily adapt and life will go on ...
    Well, while that's certainly true, I'd rather not continue investing in using google of there's a chance it could not work if I want to continue using apple hardware.
    07-28-2014 04:03 PM
    Yeah, I'd hope so. I do like google services, though I'm still conflicted on the whole privacy thing.
    Fair point re: privacy. Everyone collects data, but Big G wrote the book.
    07-28-2014 04:32 PM
    Fair point re: privacy. Everyone collects data, but Big G wrote the book.
    Many apple pundits seem very auntie google right now. No clue if there just doing so because apples doing it or what. But honestly, what are the alternatives. Far as I can tell, there isn't anything as good as google services. Gmail a still the best, so is google search. Everyone uses google docs and google drive. And everyone uses YouTube. It's not like everyone's using bing now or outlook.com , even though I don't think those services are necessarily bad. There just not as good as googles at what they do. And most people seem to be not relying on office as much and have gone to google docs. And chrome us arguably the best browser right now .
    joemd60 likes this.
    07-28-2014 05:15 PM
    If Apple wants to use Bing as the default option and eliminate Google as an option all together I'll just use Google.com for my search. It's not like they're blocking Google all together. Nothing about this makes me nervous by any stretch of the imagination. I want these giants to duke it out because it benefits us. What I don't like are companies eating each other up and merging. Like when AT&T was going to buy T-Mobile (thank goodness that didn't go through) or how AT&T is purchasing DirecTV. Or Comcast with Time Warner, I believe. I want these guys competing for my business and I don't care if they get a bit ugly with each other.

I'm the first to tell you that I'm heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem. But it doesn't mean I can't just one day drop Apple and not easily replace them. Same goes for Google or pretty much anyone else.
    07-28-2014 06:10 PM
    If Apple wants to use Bing as the default option and eliminate Google as an option all together I'll just use Google.com for my search. It's not like they're blocking Google all together. Nothing about this makes me nervous by any stretch of the imagination. I want these giants to duke it out because it benefits us. What I don't like are companies eating each other up and merging. Like when AT&T was going to buy T-Mobile (thank goodness that didn't go through) or how AT&T is purchasing DirecTV. Or Comcast with Time Warner, I believe. I want these guys competing for my business and I don't care if they get a bit ugly with each other.

I'm the first to tell you that I'm heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem. But it doesn't mean I can't just one day drop Apple and not easily replace them. Same goes for Google or pretty much anyone else.
    Are you primarily google services? Or do you have a mix?
    07-28-2014 08:12 PM
    Are you primarily google services? Or do you have a mix?
    No. I'm primarily Apple services. iCloud and iTunes purchases. Google is pretty much just Gmail. Even when I'm using an Android phone. I don't really rely on much else from them. But I could easily drop Apple and switch to something else without a problem.
    07-28-2014 08:45 PM
    No. I'm primarily Apple services. iCloud and iTunes purchases. Google is pretty much just Gmail. Even when I'm using an Android phone. I don't really rely on much else from them. But I could easily drop Apple and switch to something else without a problem.
    What do you use for cloud storage or whatever?
    07-28-2014 09:08 PM
    What do you use for cloud storage or whatever?
    iCloud for my contacts and such, including my iDevice backups.

I use Dropbox for certain things but nothing that major that would make me miss not having it.
    07-29-2014 01:14 AM
    iCloud for my contacts and such, including my iDevice backups.

I use Dropbox for certain things but nothing that major that would make me miss not having it.
    Yeah, I'm mostly using iCloud for contacts , calendar, and backup. I'm using onedrive for photos in addition to google+. Dropbox I'm gonna leave for documents. And I have 50gbs of Box storage that I don't use.

I'd like if iCloud expanded more , which I guess it will with cloud kit. But even that doesn't do all that these other services do.
    07-29-2014 01:28 AM
    So, maybe I'm overacting a bit, but honestly this feud that apple and google are having makes me nervous for google services on the Mac and iOS.

We already see that apple is leaning towards bing when it comes to default search for that spotlight search and Siri, what's to say they don't make it default for safari now? Or heck lets just block google search from being a option all together. And what's to say google then makes it so the Mac and iOS versions stop getting timely updates? Or they bork gmail somehow on apple hardware. It sounds crazy, but who knows where this stupid war ends up.

And the things that's hilarious to me is that I read and hear on a lot of Mac websites and podcasts rip on google for "selling your identity and info" and "sell you to companies" and stuff like that, yet I can guarantee you they still continue to use google services because there really isn't better options. What, are you going to use bing? It's not as good. Neither is outlook arguably. So really, why keep complaining?

Anyway, am I crazy ? Or us this a real possibility?
    If Apple completely blocked Google Search they would have to also block all of Google's apps from the App Store. Apple would be sued for anti-trust violations within minutes most likely. So there is 0.0% chance it will ever happen. Google services add value to the iPhone; Apple isn't stupid.
    07-29-2014 08:33 AM
    Gmail doesn't do push?
    Google removed the option to setup Gmail via Exchange in January 2013 for free accounts. The only option to configure Gmail with the stock iOS email app is via IMAP which does not push. If you want push you have to use the Gmail app. Outlook.com is native push on iOS; you can also manually configure it as an Exchange account.
    07-29-2014 08:37 AM
    Also, the Gmail app for IOS is getting better
    The last update lets you attach, and saves files to and from Google Drive.
    That's a nice addition to the app.
    Last edited by joemd60; 07-29-2014 at 07:59 PM. Reason: addition
    07-29-2014 03:49 PM
    I don't think Apple could legally block all of Google's services or cut them off, but I don't see them doing it either way. They aren't stupid and they know a LOT of people use and prefer Google to any other search engine and as a whole Google services benefit iOS in the long run.

Google definitely isn't stupid enough to pull services either. I remember reading somewhere that iOS accounts for more of Google's web searches than Android does so Google won't just decide to rip that money out of their wallet.
    08-06-2014 01:16 PM
48 12