ENOUGH!!!

agp101

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
You know, the "security" angle is a bunch of BS: They have opened a backdoor for the NSA to access any data they want without customer knowledge or consent, come on, now. And when I mentioned this to the people I spoke with, (3 of them total) none of them denied that.

The thing is, I really do like my Apple products: Macbook Air, iPad Air, iPod Touch, all work really well and meet my needs.
But this tap-dancing I have to do because of one lousy question, after being told I had successfully proven my identity (by giving all 3 devices serial numbers and answering the 2nd question correctly) is nonsense.

If I have proven my identity to their satisfaction, then why keep me locked out for 24 hours?

Idk if the whole NSA thing has been debunked or not, but for the sake of argument let's say the NSA thing is true.

My post still stands, because while the NSA might have backdoors, regular people do not. So for example, if your device was stolen, or someone figured out your password but didn't have the 2 step verification code etc... They wouldn't be able to get into your account if they had gone through the same channels you are going through. I think that's the whole point of the security thing.

The NSA and government entities, we have pretty much little to no control over that, if in fact nefarious acts do take place. But an equal damaging scenario is someone else, a regular citizen or a thief, taking over your account, and thus ALL your Apple products after they successfully change your password etc, essentially locking you out.

So yes, while maybe the procedures Apple took (or banks take and many other entities) anger and frustrate you, they work very well for exactly that. If they didn't do that, lots of people would have so many more problems lol. You're buying $500+ devices, you want to be sure only YOU will ever have access. While some security measures are drastic, they do work. It's hard to have the best of both worlds. But it's nice knowing your device (and account) will most likely always be yours unless you specifically chose to sell said device and move your account over to a new and shiny $500+ device :)

I understand your frustration, hope you feel better after a little cooling off time. I'm sure you're not the only one getting frustrated, but the process works overall.

Posted via iMore App

agp101

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Yep, I really, REALLY did not want to go back to Apple, that is true.
And I did, by getting an iPad Air, because when I broke my Note Pro, I found out what it would take for me to get it replaced. With Apple care, it's 80 bucks, no problem there.

Also, after biting the bullet and purchasing my iPad Air, I did get an unexpected surprise:
The lousy customer service I had experienced a year or 2 prior, and which had caused me to leave Apple, was greatly improved.
I got fabulous help to set up my device, I had problems with Apple ID (not password related) and a manager went so far as to do a screen share with me on the phone, which, when implemented, showed him my macbook screen on his monitor, enabled him to put little red arrows in every place that I needed to click, taking me on a visual step by step route to get the problem taken care of.
It took a while, but it was successful and damn, that was cool.

Guys... Please continue because with every rebuke I read, I am able to see the cool Apple things I came back for, and that is very useful to me.

I still hate the over the top security nonsense. To me, it's counter productive.
But as I've said several times before, there are very cool things about Apple that I need.
So do I want to leave Apple?
Again, I'd rather not.
But if this issue I'm having is going to be a recurring problem, I don't think I have a choice.

Now the question is:
Though I will try to reset my password to something I can actually remember (I'm pretty sure I did, even if everyone here tells me otherwise... ) it would be idiotic for me to write it down somewhere, that would defeat the purpose of "security".

So is there a way to keep passwords secure somewhere where I can access it in case I forget?

You can get an app like QBknelt suggested. Personally I like to open a Microsoft Word document, write app passwords in there, then I password protect the Word document and upload it to Google Drive, or whatever cloud service you have set up. This way if ever your PC or Mac falters and you lose your hard drive, at least you won't lose that document. And since you password protect it, we can assume only you will ever have access.

Do the password apps only work locally on the device? If something happens to the device do you lose everything on the app or are they able to upload it securely to Drive, iCloud, Onedrive?

Anyway, whatever works best for you.

Also, note that I do the same exact thing for backup codes for 2 step verification. Those especially, you should never lose!

Posted via iMore App

Last edited:

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
And if Apple has given access to someone posing as you who also didn't know the answers to their own security questions and you got nailed with fraudulent activity on your account, you'd be piased at Apple for not protecting you more.

Sorry, dude, this was on you.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
And if Apple has given access to someone posing as you who also didn't know the answers to their own security questions and you got nailed with fraudulent activity on your account, you'd be piased at Apple for not protecting you more.

Sorry, dude, this was on you.

First, it's Dudette. ;)
Second, I started with Apple in 2009 with a Macbook, then an iTouch, then on and off with iPhones, then with iPad, and my password was secure: it contained over 8 digits, had upper case letters and numbers, I was never hacked.
Why Apple suddenly decided I HAD to change my password, I'll never know.
(this happened recently, shortly after getting my iPad Air)
Again, I'm pretty sure I typed in the correct one.
Still, assuming I goofed up, I only got 2 tries before being locked out.
2 tries.
So let's agree to disagree, but I do think that is overkill.

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Yep, I really, REALLY did not want to go back to Apple, that is true.
And I did, by getting an iPad Air, because when I broke my Note Pro, I found out what it would take for me to get it replaced. With Apple care, it's 80 bucks, no problem there.

Also, after biting the bullet and purchasing my iPad Air, I did get an unexpected surprise:
The lousy customer service I had experienced a year or 2 prior, and which had caused me to leave Apple, was greatly improved.
I got fabulous help to set up my device, I had problems with Apple ID (not password related) and a manager went so far as to do a screen share with me on the phone, which, when implemented, showed him my macbook screen on his monitor, enabled him to put little red arrows in every place that I needed to click, taking me on a visual step by step route to get the problem taken care of.
It took a while, but it was successful and damn, that was cool.

Guys... Please continue because with every rebuke I read, I am able to see the cool Apple things I came back for, and that is very useful to me.

I still hate the over the top security nonsense. To me, it's counter productive.
But as I've said several times before, there are very cool things about Apple that I need.
So do I want to leave Apple?
Again, I'd rather not.
But if this issue I'm having is going to be a recurring problem, I don't think I have a choice.

Now the question is:
Though I will try to reset my password to something I can actually remember (I'm pretty sure I did, even if everyone here tells me otherwise... ) it would be idiotic for me to write it down somewhere, that would defeat the purpose of "security".

So is there a way to keep passwords secure somewhere where I can access it in case I forget?

So, how's that Apple paying your mortgage and funding your retirement thing working out for you?

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Apple did this because last year a Wired writer had multiple accounts compromised and ultimately lost his Twitter account because Amazon and Apple customer service gave an attacker his information over the phone.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Apple did this because last year a Wired writer had multiple accounts compromised and ultimately lost his Twitter account because Amazon and Apple customer service gave an attacker his information over the phone.

I understand that BUT:

Let's not forget that 3 Apple techs (including a manager) told me yesterday that I had indeed successfully proven my identity. So if I did that, then why the additional 24 hours?
Either Apple feels confident that they are indeed talking to the account owner or they don't.
But don't tell me "Yes, you've established your identity successfully" and then treat me like I did not.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
UPDATE: Apple just emailed me the reset link, I reset my password. But I still need help in resetting my security questions because as luck would have it, the back up email address where they would send it to has been cancelled and deleted months ago when I switched email carriers. So I'm hoping the tech guy can help me with that.

agp101

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
UPDATE: Apple just emailed me the reset link, I reset my password. But I still need help in resetting my security questions because as luck would have it, the back up email address where they would send it to has been cancelled and deleted months ago when I switched email carriers. So I'm hoping the tech guy can help me with that.

You need to be more organized and up to date with your credentials (back up email). As you can see, it comes back to bite you in the *** if you're not lol.

The responsibility is yours really, not Apple's or Google's or whomever. They provide the service, you need to use it correctly.

Posted via iMore App

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
OKAY, soooooo...

Apple ID password: successfully reset
Security questions: updated
Backup email: updated

I got into iTunes, bought the music I wanted, so far (emphasize "SO FAR") I'm back in cruise mode.

Phew!!! ... but I still think the whole security thing is overkill. The guy said I shouldn't have anymore problems for here on, let's hope he's right.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I should add that while I think the security obstacle course is over the top, it's not the only thing that Apple revamped: the customer service is indeed better than say, a year or 2 ago. This whole process was maddening but they did help me solve the problem, which is miles better than when my devices crashed under IOS7.

mjs416

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
LOL @ the people who claim there is no security backdoor to personal information.

Every iPhone Has A Security Backdoor - Forbes

http://rt.com/usa/175088-apple-backdoor-ios-hope/

"During Zdziarski’s HOPE presentation, “Identifying Backdoors, Attack Points and Surveillance Mechanisms in iOS Devices,” the researcher revealed that several undocumented forensic services are installed on every new iPhone and iPad, making it easier that ever for a third-party to pull data from those devices in order to compromise a target and take hold of their personal information, including pictures, text messages, voice recordings and more."

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
LOL @ the people who claim there is no security backdoor to personal information.

"During Zdziarski’s HOPE presentation, “Identifying Backdoors, Attack Points and Surveillance Mechanisms in iOS Devices,” the researcher revealed that several undocumented forensic services are installed on every new iPhone and iPad, making it easier that ever for a third-party to pull data from those devices in order to compromise a target and take hold of their personal information, including pictures, text messages, voice recordings and more."

Yep. And every Apple tech person I mentioned this to got very quiet and none of them denied it.

That said, I am indeed glad and relieved that my problem could be solved today and that I don't have to leave Apple: Having 3 devices connected does make my life easier.
Also, should the NSA decide to snoop into my stuff... LOL: they will discover that I think they are a bunch of curtain gawking flaccid no life momma's boys with anal retention issues that scream of having been potty trained at gun point, and they will find evidence of my being a liberal with a strong libertarian streak who lives a completely average life just trying to deal with the fact that our government has become everything it bashed the Soviet Union for during the cold war.
They would discover that I have really gruesome post surgery pics and more yoga music than any person should have. Ooooooh, fear that. LOL.

Still. It's the principle. It just bugs me.
So, IF there ever came a platform that would be as convenient as Apple but with ethics that I could actually respect, I'd probably switch in a heartbeat.

For now, I'm just happy to put this morass behind me.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It's like me. I got the 1Password app for Christmas from my wife. I set a master password, but didn't use the app until now. I had my passwords elsewhere. So I decide to finally use it but can't remember the master password and could not find it anywhere. So I just deleted it, reinstalled it and started over. Fortunately it was not full of passwords. Dumb mistakes happen. :D

Sent from from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

ANY government that wants to get your information WILL get your information. I don't care if it's the NSA, MI5, or the KGB....they will get it. If anyone lies under the misapprehension that they've got secure locked down privacy, that person is in for a rude awakening. ANY government agency can get down to the brand toothpaste ANY person uses ANYWHERE. And instead of focusing on the NSA, actually, the entity that knows every spending habit and every activity and any pattern is actually not the NSA but the IRS. If ANYONE is under the impression that they can thwart ANY government agency in obtaining their most personal "secrets" that person is living in a fantasy world.

Oh by the way here is this....

GCHQ and NSA have reportedly cracked BlackBerry BES encryption

Does ANYONE *REALLY* think that any government entity will play by the books and not snoop into your files? Anyone really think that they can get away from Big Brother? Folks, the age of secrecy and privacy ended with the advent of the credit card and the ATM and PayPal and computers and internet. Each and everyone of us has got a digital footprint as clearly identifiable as fingerprints

Seriously....NOBODY is beyond the reach of 'third parties' who have a 'need to know.'

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I am fully aware that any device/system can be hacked: Angela Merkel found out the hard way. However, every manufacturer does not HAVE to welcome the NSA with an open door, and that's precisely what Apple, Google and Microsoft have done.
Can my Blackberry be hacked? Of course.
But if I can help it, I'd rather give my business to a manufacturer that doesn't volunteer to have their customers' information snooped into.
I feel that for now, Apple is a way better choice than Android (for other reasons: even though you cannot reverse an update with Apple, at least, they don't force updates on you like Android does in some cases) but frankly, if a company started building a system and devices that were as smoothly connected and easy to use as Apple, but with the ethics of Blackberry, I'd jump ship in a heartbeat.
And no, I'm not holding my breath ;)

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I am fully aware that any device/system can be hacked: Angela Merkel found out the hard way. However, every manufacturer does not HAVE to welcome the NSA with an open door, and that's precisely what Apple, Google and Microsoft have done.
Can my Blackberry be hacked? Of course.
But if I can help it, I'd rather give my business to a manufacturer that doesn't volunteer to have their customers' information snooped into.
I feel that for now, Apple is a way better choice than Android (for other reasons: even though you cannot reverse an update with Apple, at least, they don't force updates on you like Android does in some cases) but frankly, if a company started building a system and devices that were as smoothly connected and easy to use as Apple, but with the ethics of Blackberry, I'd jump ship in a heartbeat.
And no, I'm not holding my breath ;)

The "ethical" BlackBerry gave up its customers to government demands in several countries with deplorable human rights records.

I'm not talking hacking. I'm talking full government surveillance.

Privacy is a fallacy in our time.

NOBODY gets out in pristine condition.

If it's wanted and needed, it's got.

Sent from my GORGEOUS, AWESOME Gold 64G iPhone 5s via Tapatalk

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
The "ethical" BlackBerry gave up its customers to government demands in several countries with deplorable human rights records.

I'm not talking hacking. I'm talking full government surveillance.

Privacy is a fallacy in our time.

NOBODY gets out in pristine condition.

If it's wanted and needed, it's got.

Sent from my GORGEOUS, AWESOME Gold 64G iPhone 5s via Tapatalk

Really? I did not know that. Do you have a link?