Do you have a smartphone addiction?

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I wish this was me. I would love to stick with one device, one ecosystem, one platform for at least a year. Two years would be awesome. I have spent/wasted too much money on smartphones, tablets, and laptops. I would like to start saving money instead of constantly burning through it. I would also like to develop a since of comfort with my devices. I give them up so quickly, I never build an attachment to them or feel truly "at home" with them. So it would be nice to really commit to one platform/device/ecosystem for a while.

Sent from my iPad Air. Simply better than the rest.

You have to take into account breakages, which for me happens fairly alot, and lack of all-day battery life. If the phone somehow loses its work capability because of those things I can't be telling myself to stick with a phone that isn't going to be fitting my work needs for the risk of my work getting jeopardized. Which is why I said nothing's for sure in this area.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm more interested in choosing the device that fits my needs completely, and then sticking with it until I can't, or until an upgrade.
I kind of do this too. Or have the same philosophy. Regardless, I'm addicted to the smartphone. Are you saying you're not addicted? I would venture to guess that most regular members of iMore forums are addicted. If not to smartphones, then their assortment of techy toys, including smartphones, tablets, laptops and desktop puters. Either that, or it's an iMore addiction. I don't feel any shame though. It's all become a way of life that's fun and interesting. But take it all away from me and I get ill. I have withdrawals. My smartphone is an extension if my brain. Without it I feel lost and inept. And to think that just 14 years ago, all I had was a beeper. :D

Sent from from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Coachbulldog

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I enjoy using my 5s, but I'm not addicted to devices. I get a new phone every two years when I'm due an upgrade. That's why I'm on the "s phones," 4s and now 5s. Be interesting to see what the iPhone will look like in November 2015.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I have had my iPhone 5S now for almost 5 months which is the second longest stint I have had a smartphone since my first one about 7 years ago. I am really pleased and impressed with my 5S. It has been everything I have needed it to be and more. No complaints. I think that I will keep it until at least the start of the new year. I just bought an Apple leather case for it and now I think that I'm set.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
My wife's parents recently bought a cabin in the north Georgia mountains...when we all go up there to enjoy time with the family, they have one requirement...phones are turned off and put in a drawer before anyone comes in. It works so fantastically, but it drives my wife, her sister and my nephews insane initially. I absolutely love it, and have no problem doing without my phone...I actually left it in there accidentally when we were getting ready to leave last time, and only remembered because my nephew ran out to remind me.

I'm definitely NOT addicted to my smart phone...and while I do love it's features, functions and the way it makes my life easier, I could do without it without any big problem at all if need be.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I'm addicted to my smartphone like I am to my car. It's something I need to use. If that's addiction, then there's no shame in it.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I have a general tech addiction, with a specific addiction to smartphones and tablets :) I can't stop researching the latest and greatest phones and comparing and even buying some of them :)

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I have a general tech addiction, with a specific addiction to smartphones and tablets :) I can't stop researching the latest and greatest phones and comparing and even buying some of them :)

You should come visit me in Singapore, where I work at a smartphone store, and you get a few yourself haha...

rellyrellz

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I do! I tend to not stay with phones for long. Never have I completed a two year contract with purchased phone. I'm really trying to make the iPhone 6 (5.5" hopefully) the first phone. Just bought a new car so I need to. I just like new technology.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I also believe that the reason why I crave other devices is because I don't ever get used to or develop an attachment to any one device because I don't intend to have it that long. So I get into the habit of looking for the next thing. It doesn't help that I am always on forums or blogs looking for what is coming next. I have noticed that I have started to build an attachment to my iOS devices now that I have had them for a few months. Especially with my iPad. I have come to really love it more than any device I have ever owned. My iPhone 5S has been a consistent high performer and I have no complaints about it. So I have not had the urge to switch just yet. I think the longer I keep them, the more I won't want to change. Now as far as my addiction to using them, that will never be cured. I use my iPhone for everything when I am out and about. But I use my Air for everything when I'm in the house or in the office. It is always with me.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I do! I tend to not stay with phones for long. Never have I completed a two year contract with purchased phone. I'm really trying to make the iPhone 6 (5.5" hopefully) the first phone. Just bought a new car so I need to. I just like new technology.

Same here, I don't ever remember going a full two years on any contract.....I might this go round (with my Wife's 5s). I'm not on a contract with my 5s (purchased in full)

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
How many of you feel like you are addicted to smartphones? I have long felt that I did. Having 30+ smartphones in the last 4 years. Although, I have slowed down considerably this year. Have had my iPhone 5S for three months now!

Sent from my iPad Air. Simply better than the rest.

Not at all. I buy the new iPhone every year when it is released, and then I’m good for another year. No addiction here. (Besides, I can quit any time I want.)

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I also believe that the reason why I crave other devices is because I don't ever get used to or develop an attachment to any one device because I don't intend to have it that long. So I get into the habit of looking for the next thing. It doesn't help that I am always on forums or blogs looking for what is coming next. I have noticed that I have started to build an attachment to my iOS devices now that I have had them for a few months. Especially with my iPad. I have come to really love it more than any device I have ever owned. My iPhone 5S has been a consistent high performer and I have no complaints about it. So I have not had the urge to switch just yet. I think the longer I keep them, the more I won't want to change. Now as far as my addiction to using them, that will never be cured. I use my iPhone for everything when I am out and about. But I use my Air for everything when I'm in the house or in the office. It is always with me.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

This kind of contradicts your other posts in this thread:

http://forums.imore.com/general-apple-news-discussion/297257-pledge.html

gebco

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
My name is Gebco and I'm a mobile OS addict. In my family we have BlackBerry 10, Android, and iOS. I appreciate what each of them do. I am continually reading about the features of platforms to ensure I'm well educated for my next upgrade. I might buy a cheap WP just to try it out.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox