Apple crowned the greenest tech company by Greenpeace

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Apple Inc. Crowned the Greenest Tech Company | BusinessVibes

Like them or loathe them, Greenpeace has crowned Apple the greenest tech company again. It seems Apple gets this recognition reasonably regularly from them.

Does the fact that Apple is doing what it can for the environment factor in to your buying decision when you decide to choose a new smart phone or other electronic device?

Personally, it doesn't for me but I do appreciate that others feel very different about the environment.

BBFunGuy

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Well, I am interested, so did a search on the Greenpeace website for 'Apple'.

I think this is purely related to Apple's use of renewables to power their data centres.

So it seems more a question of the environment factoring in to your decision when you upload something to the cloud, for instance. To consider their manufacturing 'green' is ludicrous.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Well, taken from the article, the excerpt gives more information than your interpretation. What I find ludicrous is the extent to which Apple detractors go to minimise the company's efforts.

Quoted:

The American tech giant Apple is now on the leading position among the world?s major tech companies who have committed to become Green-tech, meaning using 100% renewable energy for everything from running their data centres to the manufacturing of new products, according to the latest report conducted by Greenpeace. The report, which grades some of the world?s top tech companies for their ?green? performance in terms of energy transparency, renewable energy commitments and deployment, and energy efficiency, indicates that Apple leading the pack having achieved 100% green energy. The following infographic made by Juice Electrical Supplies distils the data from Greenpeace?s report ? grading 14 world?s major tech companies on their green performance such as transparency about their energy use, green energy index rating, and usage of coal, nuclear power and natural gas. - See more at: http://www.businessvibes.com/blog/apple-inc-crowned-greenest-tech-company#sthash.zhJiSnf5.dpuf

Sent from my GORGEOUS, AWESOME Gold 64G iPhone 5s via Tapatalk

agarwal.apar

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I agree, and I thank Apple for considering the environment. Wish other tech companies also consider it.. After all, its "our" environment!

Sent from my Darth Vader black iPhone 5 using iMore Forums

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Makes you really green for having your Apple tech, doesn't it?

Oh yah. Best tech for me. And Greenpeace agrees!!!

....where did Ieave that Greenpeace sweatshirt?!?!....

Sent from my GORGEOUS, AWESOME Gold 64G iPhone 5s via Tapatalk

BBFunGuy

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Trying to promote a company that wants you to upgrade your phone every year as environmentally responsible, is like polishing a ****.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Apple Inc. Crowned the Greenest Tech Company | BusinessVibes

Like them or loathe them, Greenpeace has crowned Apple the greenest tech company again. It seems Apple gets this recognition reasonably regularly from them.

Does the fact that Apple is doing what it can for the environment factor in to your buying decision when you decide to choose a new smart phone or other electronic device?

Personally, it doesn't for me but I do appreciate that others feel very different about the environment.

I feel the same way, OP. That won't sway me to buy or not buy Apple either way. I buy based on products themselves.

svelt

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Trying to promote a company that wants you to upgrade your phone every year as environmentally responsible, is like polishing a ****.

Apple's the least guilty of this; 3.5 and 3 year old products are getting iOS 8. Before Google started stepping in Android manufacturers would practically NEVER update the OS on their phones (my mom's LG optimus 2x is one of the 5% of Android phones still around on Froyo. She's not going to flash & install a custom ROM. Thanks for nothing LG.).

Don't even get me started on BB who wouldn't update their one and only tablet, and having an app store that is fragmented into three pieces (BBOS, PBOS, BB10). Apple tries hard to keep their old hardware as new as possible through pushed updates which few, if any, of the other tech companies can rival.

I did a paper on Apple's environmental footprint in grad school and got a pretty good mark for it. I concluded that Apple is quite unfairly singled out for their practices when compared to their industry peers they're one of the more socially responsible companies especially since Cook took over and hired the former EPA chief Lisa Jackson to work on their environmental programs.

BBFunGuy

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Apple's the least guilty of this; 3.5 and 3 year old products are getting iOS 8. Before Google started stepping in Android manufacturers would practically NEVER update the OS on their phones (my mom's LG optimus 2x is one of the 5% of Android phones still around on Froyo. She's not going to flash & install a custom ROM. Thanks for nothing LG.).

Don't even get me started on BB who wouldn't update their one and only tablet, and having an app store that is fragmented into three pieces (BBOS, PBOS, BB10). Apple tries hard to keep their old hardware as new as possible through pushed updates which few, if any, of the other tech companies can rival.

I did a paper on Apple's environmental footprint in grad school and got a pretty good mark for it. I concluded that Apple is quite unfairly singled out for their practices when compared to their industry peers they're one of the more socially responsible companies especially since Cook took over and hired the former EPA chief Lisa Jackson to work on their environmental programs.

So, it is good for our environment that Apple have released 7 tablets in the same time frame that RIM/BB have only released one, how exactly?

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So, it is good for our environment that Apple have released 7 tablets in the same time frame that RIM/BB have only released one, how exactly?

So what company do you want on top? One that sits there and produces nothing? Because, yeah, technically that would be better for the environment...

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner