Which services work better on apple hardware: Microsoft or Google?

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So, I don't think I'm going to be going to a windows phone or surface pro 3 at the moment. I honestly thought about it because I do like the OS of windows phone and I think surface pro 3 is a solid piece of kit and is cool, but the App Store situation of windows phone puts me off of it and I don't know if I want to pay the high cost of the surface 3 when I could just get a cheaper laptop, since I'd mostly use the surface as a laptop I think.

So, with that said I now wondering if I should continue using MS services on my iPad and iPhone or possibly switch to google. I'm unsure which work better on apples platforms.

I like using one drive and one note and I think office 365 is a good value, although I'm not sure if I need full office considering what I do. But 1TB of one drive space is nice. As far as bing goes, I don't mind it. But I'm sure google is better. And I don't use IE on my PC and it's not even a option on iOS or Mac.

As far as google services go, I'm unsure how I feel about the whole privacy thing. I get that Google uses my anonymous data for ads and such, but they do give me good services in exchange. I do use gmail although I do like the look of outlook.com a lot. But I hear outlook.com is perhaps not viewed highly in professional circles and the like. I also use google calendar, chrome, and have some things in drive like photos. Im unsure how microsoft calendar system compares to googles.

Again, I think I want to stay mostly in the apple camp when it comes to phone and tablet. Laptop I'm between either windows or Mac, and I don't really want a iMac because of the games and software available on PC.

So does anyone have any thoughts? Which would you say may be better for me? If you would like me to elaborate more on my usage, please let me know because I'd really like to get this figured out :)

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
You may want to wait until iCloud Drive is available. That may likely have the best iOS integration, and I'd imagine that support for Windows will be there.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I think Microsoft's really untouchable in terms of office apps on iOS, something that's not really Google's strong suit. For the rest though, I must say Google holds the edge over Microsoft's Bing etc.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I think Microsoft's really untouchable in terms of office apps on iOS, something that's not really Google's strong suit. For the rest though, I must say Google holds the edge over Microsoft's Bing etc.

I'm wondering though if we should have concerns over privacy with google. Seems apples trying like hell to desperate from google.

Do you think google holds a advantage over Microsoft with storage , calendars , and mail ?

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
You may want to wait until iCloud Drive is available. That may likely have the best iOS integration, and I'd imagine that support for Windows will be there.

I'm unsure if they'll support it in windows.

And it'll be interesting to see his iCloud drive compares to everyone else.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm wondering though if we should have concerns over privacy with google. Seems apples trying like hell to desperate from google.

Do you think google holds a advantage over Microsoft with storage , calendars , and mail ?
I do... They just rule in that department. Office apps or collaboration, not so much, although Google is trying.

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I think you can't go wrong with either but Microsoft holds an edge in office apps but Google holds an edge across other services.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I do... They just rule in that department. Office apps or collaboration, not so much, although Google is trying.

One thing that bugs me about google drive is that they store photos in google plus. I'd rather have them go to a folder located in drive automatically. Then there's the fact that Google may or may not be snooping in my stuff .

I like the overall look of one drive and outlook.com, they have very crisp and clean designs on the web. But I don't really know anyone who uses outlook.com for email.

As far as office goes, maybe it's more than I need? Really, I only need it for college papers and occasional spreadsheets for either school or personal stuff like budgeting. I'm not exactly writing novels or making corporate spreadsheets.

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Out of curiosity what makes google better for stuff like online storage, mail, and calendars?

Drive gives you more space for free, Gmail and Google calendars have been easier to work with, at least for me, that's why I feel like they're ahead of Microsoft in that regard

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Drive gives you more space for free, Gmail and Google calendars have been easier to work with, at least for me, that's why I feel like they're ahead of Microsoft in that regard

Well, soon one drive will give you 15gb free as well. I'm not sure about the differences of calendars and mail. I'd assume calendar would just work the same since that really can't be too to complicated to do and I do know gmail does have a few more supported formats I think. But most use iCal or Caldev anyway.

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
If you have a Mac, Google is would be a better choice, as you can sync your mail, calendar and contacts across bother iOS and Mac devices seamlessly. Microsoft services work great on the iPhone, but not on OSX, only recently getting IMAP support for mail only. THat said, if you are in Office, Microsoft is a great choice, but you can use Office, and still use Google services. Google has great support for iOS, and I think their apps are top notch on iOS, you have everything even Pseudo-Google Now (notifications included) with the Search app.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
If you have a Mac, Google is would be a better choice, as you can sync your mail, calendar and contacts across bother iOS and Mac devices seamlessly. Microsoft services work great on the iPhone, but not on OSX, only recently getting IMAP support for mail only. THat said, if you are in Office, Microsoft is a great choice, but you can use Office, and still use Google services. Google has great support for iOS, and I think their apps are top notch on iOS, you have everything even Pseudo-Google Now (notifications included) with the Search app.

How does google sync better on Mac? I'd thought it be the same with MS? Can you not sync microsoft contacts, calendar, and mail on Mac?

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Yes. MS services seem to work just fine.

Are the google equivalents going to be better do you think? I do like one drive, one note, and I like office, but I do use gmail, chrome, google search, use google music some, and could see occasionally using docs and drive if there better. Can I mix and match like that?

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Yes. I'm pretty service agnostic. I get mail from Google, MS, yahoo and iCloud, calendars from iCloud and Google, my contacts are mainly in iCloud although I've used Google for them in the past. They all work fine with the native Mac apps for their respective functions. I've also used Google music briefly, Amazon music and I store stuff in box, Dropbox, one drive and Google drive. I'm sure I'll use the new iCloud Drive as apps start to use it.

Do you think it's worth worrying about privacy concerns using google services? I know a lot of people are nervous about it, but I'm wondering if it really should be a reason not to use them.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Do you guys think we're just eventually going to get to the point where we have no choice but to go all in on certain ecosystem, wether that be apple, google, or Microsoft services, otherwise we are just going to miss out on too many features and advantages? I'd rather just use what I think is best instead of feeling forced to use certain services because of my hardware/OS choice.

sidn625

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
So, I don't think I'm going to be going to a windows phone or surface pro 3 at the moment. I honestly thought about it because I do like the OS of windows phone and I think surface pro 3 is a solid piece of kit and is cool, but the App Store situation of windows phone puts me off of it and I don't know if I want to pay the high cost of the surface 3 when I could just get a cheaper laptop, since I'd mostly use the surface as a laptop I think.

So, with that said I now wondering if I should continue using MS services on my iPad and iPhone or possibly switch to google. I'm unsure which work better on apples platforms.

I like using one drive and one note and I think office 365 is a good value, although I'm not sure if I need full office considering what I do. But 1TB of one drive space is nice. As far as bing goes, I don't mind it. But I'm sure google is better. And I don't use IE on my PC and it's not even a option on iOS or Mac.

As far as google services go, I'm unsure how I feel about the whole privacy thing. I get that Google uses my anonymous data for ads and such, but they do give me good services in exchange. I do use gmail although I do like the look of outlook.com a lot. But I hear outlook.com is perhaps not viewed highly in professional circles and the like. I also use google calendar, chrome, and have some things in drive like photos. Im unsure how microsoft calendar system compares to googles.

Again, I think I want to stay mostly in the apple camp when it comes to phone and tablet. Laptop I'm between either windows or Mac, and I don't really want a iMac because of the games and software available on PC.

So does anyone have any thoughts? Which would you say may be better for me? If you would like me to elaborate more on my usage, please let me know because I'd really like to get this figured out :)

I would be really glad to hear from you, which app isn't even now available in the windows phone store. Also, check out Cortana and its integration with Bing. You should give another thought to buying a windows phone.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR