Which services work better on apple hardware: Microsoft or Google?

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I don't think that will happen. The major cloud players have different business models. Google for instance gets their money from advertising so it is to their advantage to be of as many platforms as possible.

True. But do you think those individual apps would still offer as much value on their own as they would if you used ALL Google or ALL microsoft? It's like with apple where sure you can just use a iPhone and then a android tablet, but you lose a lot of integration with services and etc.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I would be really glad to hear from you, which app isn't even now available in the windows phone store. Also, check out Cortana and its integration with Bing. You should give another thought to buying a windows phone.

It's not so much the number of apps as it is the support of existing apps with me. I tried windows phone, used my friends 920 for a month, and noticed apps I like such as spotify, slacker radio, and etc. haven't been touched in months by the devs for updates.

That said there were some apps I missed such as amazon video, a official Dropbox client, a good twitter app, a official YouTube app, and not to mention support for google services.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Possibly. But it's just not something I'm concerned about. If I really wanted "absolute best" in any given category, I would buy one of each. But I've determined that the overall mix of services that Apple e provides is best for me (and for me 1 phone is enough). So I'm just not worried that I don't have the best Microsoft or Google services on my phone. They work good enough for what I use them for.
It's really no different than any other consumer electronics. If I was in the market for a new TV, maybe the "best" for sports is different than the "best" for action movies which is different than the "best" for documentaries which is different than the "best" for 3D content, etc, etc. I'm still only going to buy one new TV which best meets the uses I'll have for it. Will I know that I don't have the absolute best? Yes. Do I really care (because what I purchased works good enough for me)? No.

Yeah, as long as I'm able to use whatever service I want regardless if platform and it works well , I think I'm good. I love apple hardware, so us prefer other companies services to work well so I can decide what to use by the merit of the device rather than because I feel I have to or don't have a choice.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'd have to say Microsoft. Their programs are better and more powerful I believe (Office and OneNote, for example). I know the mobile apps aren't necessarily more powerful, but the full applications themselves are. Let's face it...Google Docs is absolutely no match for to Office, and even Office Online. OneNote is also better than Google Notes I believe. This one is more personal preference, but I can't stand Google Drive, and I use OneDrive myself.

The big thing though is how well everything works with and around Office, which is the standard as far as office suites go. The Google apps don't have that compatibility which I think is huge. And especially if you're making the decision for a business, Microsoft services are an easy choice because of the Lync compatibility as well.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I'd have to say Microsoft. Their programs are better and more powerful I believe (Office and OneNote, for example). I know the mobile apps aren't necessarily more powerful, but the full applications themselves are. Let's face it...Google Docs is absolutely no match for to Office, and even Office Online. OneNote is also better than Google Notes I believe. This one is more personal preference, but I can't stand Google Drive, and I use OneDrive myself.

The big thing though is how well everything works with and around Office, which is the standard as far as office suites go. The Google apps don't have that compatibility which I think is huge. And especially if you're making the decision for a business, Microsoft services are an easy choice because of the Lync compatibility as well.

It's not for business purposes, only for personal use. So I'm just trying to figure out which is better for that. I know most people use office and Microsoft services because of work or because they feel they sorta have to because of work.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's not for business purposes, only for personal use. So I'm just trying to figure out which is better for that. I know most people use office and Microsoft services because of work or because they feel they sorta have to because of work.

Oh no, I'm not saying you are. I'm saying if this decision was for a business, it would be much easier. It really comes down to personal preference and what services you find important. Most people find Office important anyway, so I think Microsoft services are naturally a better choice. Plus I like Microsoft's UI better. That's a personal preference, however.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Oh no, I'm not saying you are. I'm saying if this decision was for a business, it would be much easier. It really comes down to personal preference and what services you find important. Most people find Office important anyway, so I think Microsoft services are naturally a better choice. Plus I like Microsoft's UI better. That's a personal preference, however.

What devices do you use? Are you mostly all apple and do you find that Microsoft services work well there?

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What devices do you use? Are you mostly all apple and do you find that Microsoft services work well there?

As of right now, I actually use no Apple devices. However, I used to be all Google, and about a year and a half ago I made the complete switch over to Microsoft services, and that was due to OneDrive. Hated Google Drive and decided to give OneDrive a go. Loved it, and with that Microsoft account, I had access to all of their services, so I tried them and liked them.

I have had Office, OneDrive, and OneNote installed on both iPhones and MacBooks without and issues whatsoever. But I don't really think you should be most concerned on what "works with Apple". They both will get the job done fine. I think the question should be what services (Microsoft or Google) you prefer better. That's just my two cents.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
As of right now, I actually use no Apple devices. However, I used to be all Google, and about a year and a half ago I made the complete switch over to Microsoft services, and that was due to OneDrive. Hated Google Drive and decided to give OneDrive a go. Loved it, and with that Microsoft account, I had access to all of their services, so I tried them and liked them.

I have had Office, OneDrive, and OneNote installed on both iPhones and MacBooks without and issues whatsoever. But I don't really think you should be most concerned on what "works with Apple". They both will get the job done fine. I think the question should be what services (Microsoft or Google) you prefer better. That's just my two cents.

By get the job done fine do you mean they'll both work just as good?

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
They both get the job done well. I wouldn't worry about how well the apps themselves work

I do wonder though if I use google services how much I should be concerned with privacy issues or not. I don't really care if they have anonymous data on me that they keep safe, but another part of me thinks it might be better to use a service that doesn't do that if service is as good or better.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I do wonder though if I use google services how much I should be concerned with privacy issues or not. I don't really care if they have anonymous data on me that they keep safe, but another part of me thinks it might be better to use a service that doesn't do that if service is as good or better.

I use Microsoft services and that is because I prefer the services, period. The fact that Google uses data for advertising doesn't bother me one bit.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I use Microsoft services and that is because I prefer the services, period. The fact that Google uses data for advertising doesn't bother me one bit.

Yeah, it's probably not worth stressing about. Just was curious.

I gotta say though I do really like what nadella is doing and stressing with multiplayform support and making there stuff great across every platform. Exciting stuff.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I might try to forward my main gmail account to my outlook account and see how I like that. I hear that gmail is quicker with receiving messages though, but I really like how simple outlook.com is. Gmail can get rather intimidating or cramped.

fb2

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Even thing in using a Gmail account and also always google for searches I still think that Microsoft apps are way better.

All office applications are much better on all operating systems, also iOS.

I personally couldn't live without OneNote, word, excel etc., because they offer awesome features and the sync is also very fast and good.

But you have to decide for yourself. I recommend to use the simplest method: pros & cons
Just check who offers what an how important the points are for you :)

As mentioned here also you could wait for iOS 8 and Yosemite, where iCloud drive is integrated.

rdubmu

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
This is my opinion

Search: Push
Google = Bing! (seriously)

Calendar online: Google by a landslide but if you include Outlook 2013: Slight edge to Outlook.com
Google Calendar > Outlook Calendar (nobody makes a better online calendar than google)

Email: Outlook by a landslide
Gmail < Outlook.com: even if you use gmail, I recommend you import your email to outlook, the tools are much superior.

Cloud Storage: Onedrive by a landslide
GDrive <<<< Onedrive: If you subscribe to office 365, you get a lot of memory. I like how it integrates both into the finder on the MAC, and the file explorer on Windows 8. Also one drive integrates with office apps across all platforms.

Contacts Google wins this one.
gmail > Outlook.com: Google contacts I find that is syncs better across platforms while outlook might be missing information that is available on outlook.com but doesn't sync with your android or iOS device.

gmail package < Outlook Package: you can use outlook to import all your email addresses, send email from that address as an alias, import gmail contacts into your people hub.

Office: Not even close. If you own a chrome book I would suggest office online verses the crappy Google Docs.
Google Docs < MS Office: it isn't even close. MS office is a standard. I would take office 2003 over google docs.

email programs-
nothing beats outlook 2013 for productivity, best calendar, contacts and email, and yes you can sync your outlook.com account to it.

You will most likely get more support from Microsoft than Google. Google is known for discontinuing products at a moments notice while Microsoft isn't. Also: google has no support for windows 8, while Microsoft provides support across every ecosystem. (BB, Android, iOS, OSX, WIN8, Windows Phone)

The another big issue is going to be privacy, Google is an advertising company first, while Microsoft is a software company, they both provide similar services but both make there money differently (google: ads, MS: Software & Services). Google sells your information and uses it to display ads.

rdubmu

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
One Note is a killer app on all platforms, it is another reason to go Microsoft. Even for personal use, I would stick with Microsoft.

You can still use both services. Apple provides more support for Windows 8 (iCloud syncing) than Google does for Windows 8.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
This is my opinion

Search: Push
Google = Bing! (seriously)

Calendar online: Google by a landslide but if you include Outlook 2013: Slight edge to Outlook.com
Google Calendar > Outlook Calendar (nobody makes a better online calendar than google)

Email: Outlook by a landslide
Gmail < Outlook.com: even if you use gmail, I recommend you import your email to outlook, the tools are much superior.

Cloud Storage: Onedrive by a landslide
GDrive <<<< Onedrive: If you subscribe to office 365, you get a lot of memory. I like how it integrates both into the finder on the MAC, and the file explorer on Windows 8. Also one drive integrates with office apps across all platforms.

Contacts Google wins this one.
gmail > Outlook.com: Google contacts I find that is syncs better across platforms while outlook might be missing information that is available on outlook.com but doesn't sync with your android or iOS device.

gmail package < Outlook Package: you can use outlook to import all your email addresses, send email from that address as an alias, import gmail contacts into your people hub.

Office: Not even close. If you own a chrome book I would suggest office online verses the crappy Google Docs.
Google Docs < MS Office: it isn't even close. MS office is a standard. I would take office 2003 over google docs.

email programs-
nothing beats outlook 2013 for productivity, best calendar, contacts and email, and yes you can sync your outlook.com account to it.

You will most likely get more support from Microsoft than Google. Google is known for discontinuing products at a moments notice while Microsoft isn't. Also: google has no support for windows 8, while Microsoft provides support across every ecosystem. (BB, Android, iOS, OSX, WIN8, Windows Phone)

The another big issue is going to be privacy, Google is an advertising company first, while Microsoft is a software company, they both provide similar services but both make there money differently (google: ads, MS: Software & Services). Google sells your information and uses it to display ads.

am I missing out on any functionality going with google for contacts and calendar, but microsoft for Email and cloud storage? can that split coexist peacefully?

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Even thing in using a Gmail account and also always google for searches I still think that Microsoft apps are way better.

All office applications are much better on all operating systems, also iOS.

I personally couldn't live without OneNote, word, excel etc., because they offer awesome features and the sync is also very fast and good.

But you have to decide for yourself. I recommend to use the simplest method: pros & cons
Just check who offers what an how important the points are for you :)

As mentioned here also you could wait for iOS 8 and Yosemite, where iCloud drive is integrated.

do you use mac or PC mainly?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox