Are you a fanboy and what drives it (if so)

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I did the fanboy thing years ago with BlackBerry. Then one day I bought an iOS device, then after that an Android device. Last year I did something I thought I would never do...I bought a Mac. Eyes opened up a bit and now I'm just a fan of mobile/tech in general. Like some of you, I'm currently a multi-platform user. I don't necessarily like one OS over the other but I do have preferences for the type of device it is on. On a tablet, it's iOS all the way. On a phone, I'd rather use BB10 or Android. For personal use desktop/notebook, it's a Mac.

There are certain aspects I enjoy about each OS - when an Android user says they like the customization, or iOS user says they like the elegance and ease of use, or a BlackBerry user says they like the efficiency and interface, I can relate to them all. What I can't relate to anymore is the fighting over different OSs. I can understand passionate sports fans and their favourite teams (Go Niners!), but a mobile device is just a tool we all use. Arguing over it is like arguing over the brand of fridge we own or shoes we wear...plain silly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't say that I'm a fanboy. But I will say that I love Apple products. I have never really had any issues with them. I have tried other devices on other platforms, but I always come back to iOS. I just really get along with it. It is comfortable and does what I want it to do all the time. I wish all of the tech I owned worked so well and looked so good. My iPhone and iPad have become staples in my everyday life. I don't really know how I would get along without them.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

stewm

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I never thought of myself as a fan boy, I did, when I moved from Verizon to T-Mobile purchase a Nexus 5 just to see what it was like using Android. At first it was great but the more I used it the more I saw that while it may be great for most people there was too many app's that have both Android and iOS variants including Google App's but the Google App's ran so much better and were so much more reliable on iOS.

The amount of time I've wasted having to restart the Nexus 5, the number of hardware failures (4 Replacements to the Nexus 5 and counting, the first died 7 days into it's life) and I made the decision to replace the Nexus 5 and replace it with an iPhone when the iPhone 6 is launched.

For me, my time really is money and when app's just stop working and then cannot be relaunched without powering down and up the Phone including Gmail, Google Maps and other app's that I rely on It is frustrating and something I never had a problem with when I had the iPhone 5. Even my iPhone 4 does fine and doesn't have crash problem like I do with Android and it's an ancient device, shame it's CDMA or I would have switched to use that in the mean time.

So what drives my like of Apple products.

The PC with the Windows 8.1 is terrible and buggy, the iMac doesn't have any of the same problems.

The Android Smartphone is terrible and buggy, the iPhone it replaced never had problems.

To be honest, and it may be a cliche, but I want things to just work. I went through hell converting over the OS X and unlearning the shortcuts I used with the PC but now the things that were so simple under Windows 7 and earlier just do not work on Windows 8 while OS X on the Mac is just so reliable. I rely on my iPad and iMac and I will be so happy when I am back with having an iPhone there to make it a perfect circle that all works together all of the time rather than being a hobnailed mess.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
You sound just like me. I got so damn tired of all the drama with my BlackBerry devices that I just gave up. I have never found any device as reliable as my iPhones. All of them have been stellar. And yes the ecosystem is a big draw for me. It all works and it all works together. Zero drama.
I want devices to work for me. Not the other way around.

anon(73368)

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
You sound just like me. I got so damn tired of all the drama with my BlackBerry devices that I just gave up. I have never found any device as reliable as my iPhones. All of them have been stellar. And yes the ecosystem is a big draw for me. It all works and it all works together. Zero drama.
I want devices to work for me. Not the other way around.

Same here for me! Switched over from bb about 3yrs ago. Was a long time bb user 6-7 yrs. had no idea what I was missing out on. The 9900 was the last straw for me. Decided to try the 4s and haven't switched back. Have zero plans to try anything else. If the 6 isn't for me I'll just stay with my 5s.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Same here for me! Switched over from bb about 3yrs ago. Was a long time bb user 6-7 yrs. had no idea what I was missing out on. The 9900 was the last straw for me. Decided to try the 4s and haven't switched back. Have zero plans to try anything else. If the 6 isn't for me I'll just stay with my 5s.

Oh don't talk to me about the 99xx series. I had three devices of that line brick on me in the middle of the day. What continued to work? My iPhone 4s that I always carried as my secondary device. That was how my iPhone went from secondary to my primary, most trusted device. And the fanboys claimed it was user error. Never mind the fact that the bricking and nuking were well documented. No, they blamed me.

That was a good company that got trashed through the blind ideologies of its leadership. Now they want you to buy their products and load up with another platform's apps. THAT is blind fanboism. Touting loading another platform's apps as being "better Android than Android."

No, I'm out. My current Q10 might be my last BlackBerry if that's their plan for the platform.

My iPhones have always worked for me. This is what matters to me.

anon(73368)

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Oh don't talk to me about the 99xx series. I had three devices of that line brick on me in the middle of the day. What continued to work? My iPhone 4s that I always carried as my secondary device. That was how my iPhone went from secondary to my primary, most trusted device. And the fanboys claimed it was user error. Never mind the fact that the bricking and nuking were well documented. No, they blamed me.

That was a good company that got trashed through the blind ideologies of its leadership. Now they want you to buy their products and load up with another platform's apps. THAT is blind fanboism. Touting loading another platform's apps as being "better Android than Android."

No, I'm out. My current Q10 might be my last BlackBerry if that's their plan for the platform.

My iPhones have always worked for me. This is what matters to me.

I won't even bother with the Q because I know it doesn't come close to 5s. Had numerous random reboots on my 9900 and the camera no AF really? Glad I made the switch and I will continue to use apple products.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I won't even bother with the Q because I know it doesn't come close to 5s. Had numerous random reboots on my 9900 and the camera no AF really? Glad I made the switch and I will continue to use apple products.

Oh putting a Fisher Price camera on a flagship device was sheer idiocy.

djstarion

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm not really a fanboy per se, but I just love tech in general. I choose iOS over anyone else because it fits my needs better, but I'm not the type of person that will say "oh screw Android" or "Windows? Yeah that sucks". There's many devices that I think are awesome, the new Galaxy Note Edge being one of them.

Carjackd

Trusted Member
Dec 4, 2013
Visit site

I'm assuming you're saying that without trying BB10???? Not the case any longer however. I really don't understand how anyone can consider themselves a fanatic about any phone, tablet, device...you get what suits your needs. As far go to devices for smartphones mine happens to be a z30, as far as tablets go...I own an ipad air. I've tried a slew of different devices and now have found the perfect fit for me.

I use my z30 because security is my number one concern. I need to ensure the data stored on my device is protected. I use an ipad air because I think Apple zero competition when it comes to tablets....they do tablets right! Nevertheless, if something came alone better more innovative for either device I'd be out the door. I have zero loyalty to these large corporations. It's all about me.

Posted Pantlessly via My Kick @ss Z30 using the Mobile Nations App

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm assuming you're saying that without trying BB10???? Not the case any longer however. I really don't understand how anyone can consider themselves a fanatic about any phone, tablet, device...you get what suits your needs. As far go to devices for smartphones mine happens to be a z30, as far as tablets go...I own an ipad air. I've tried a slew of different devices and now have found the perfect fit for me.

I use my z30 because security is my number one concern. I need to ensure the data stored on my device is protected. I use an ipad air because I think Apple zero competition when it comes to tablets....they do tablets right! Nevertheless, if something came alone better more innovative for either device I'd be out the door. I have zero loyalty to these large corporations. It's all about me.

Posted Pantlessly via My Kick @ss Z30 using the Mobile Nations App

Actually I experienced near constant reboots on my Z10. And I know there are several reported reboots on Q10. Also, the Q10 suffers from a double typing issue that forces you to correct what you're typing or constantly accept offered words. I type in two primary languages so the offered words are often wrong so I ignore them. As a result. I miss the double typed letters.

Sent from my AWESOME 64G gold iPhone 5s

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't consider myself a fanboy. I love technology in general, what works for me, may not work for someone else, and vice versa.

Last edited:

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I think that I'm starting to become a fanboy in a way. I'm really enjoying my Apple products now. Even though I'm not enjoying the wait for my iPhone 6 plus to come in the mail. But other than that I haven't had any issues with my iOS devices. I will say that even though I love iOS 8 and all of the features it has brought to my devices. The OS is very buggy. They need to iron out the kinks and quickly.

Sent from my iPad Air. Best tablet on the planet.

Sakroz

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm not a fanboy and never been. I like technology and try to find that suits my needs with least possible maintenance. I've used Apple devices because they offered me a best possible user experience. I don't dismiss anything just because of the brand or what OS it might have. I used to hate Windows back in the day mostly because of Windows ME, it was such a horrible experience that it ruined subsequent releases for me, I couldn't careless after I was switched to Mac. Once I've tried and used win7 and seeing it was stable and a great OS my hate for the windows vanished.

This old tired battle "This vs That" gets on my nerves. So I try to avoid those types of conversations if possible, unless someone specifically wants an advice/opinion and help. I really don't care what anybody uses or what's the trendy Phone/gadget of the month is. Everyone is different and so is their requirements/needs, so they choose whatever suits them best.

About those Samsung ads, it's cringey, I can't stand it. It was same for me when Apple was doing it year after year in WWDC and with their I'm a Mac, your a PC rubbish (even though I was an Apple customer).

The thing I hate about fanboyism is that they would not except any faults or shortcomings with whatever they are fanboys of. You can't discuss the problems of the particular brand or device. You will get attacked, called names and whole thing suddenly leaves a bad taste, even if you happen to just read it.

It's pointless to argue something over so trivial, life is too short for such things imo.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I don’t know if "fanboy" applies to me or not. I have and use Apple products almost exclusively - because they work for me. While I’m not shy about sharing my experience with Apple, I can’t say that I actively proselytize on their behalf, either.

I don’t go out of my way to notice what devices others use. Frankly I could care less what anyone uses. I use Apple products (rMBP, iPhone, iPad) because they work for me. If I find something else that works better for me, I’ll switch. Until then, color me .

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I don’t know if "fanboy" applies to me or not. I have and use Apple products almost exclusively - because they work for me. While I’m not shy about sharing my experience with Apple, I can’t say that I actively proselytize on their behalf, either.

I don’t go out of my way to notice what devices others use. Frankly I could care less what anyone uses. I use Apple products (rMBP, iPhone, iPad) because they work for me. If I find something else that works better for me, I’ll switch. Until then, color me .

Hank, after reading many of your post witch I do like, I’d have to say, you fit the profile of a "fanboy".

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I went through a lot of phones. I am tired of doing so. Since going back to Apple I have had no itch to try something new, I love it the way it is and I can spend my money on other things other than phones that don't work.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73