Are you a fanboy and what drives it (if so)

pantlesspenguin

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Here's the plain truth for me: apple products are high class's devices, and are generally used by wealthier people. They are also more or less a status symbol. If I were to get an android, I would never hear the end of it from friends and family, and it would kill me because most poor people that I see in public have androids. I like high class brands (BMW, Saab, under armor, mosey oak, etc etc) and I like shopping at high end malls. So I pretty much like anything that's higher class, including higher class music.

Tl;Dr I am an apple fanboy because I like to associate myself with high class things, and people.
Also, I don't want it to sound like I only use apple devices for the reasons mentioned. They work the best for me, and I could prove with real facts that OS X is better than windows. iOS and android are = IMO, it just comes down to personal preference for them. But OS X is far superior to windows, and I can back that statement up with facts.

It's weird. I think iPhones USED to be status symbols, but now that everyone has them that argument has kind of fallen by the wayside. It's just like what happened to BlackBerry. Having a BB used to mean you were a corporate big wig. Then within a couple years everyone had a Curve, Pearl, or Bold. Plus, iPhones definitely don't equal wealth anymore. I used to work for an organization that gave aid to the working poor. I can't tell you how many people would come in for our food and diaper pantry, clothing closet, etc sporting iPhones. It's like they chose hot tech over groceries!

Anyway, as for me, I'm just a tech enthusiast with a soft spot for underdogs. I'll always love BlackBerry and hope they climb out of this slump. My current daily driver is an HTC Android device. There is some amazing tech out there beyond what marketing tells you you're supposed to want. That being said though, I'm still looking forward to seeing what the next crop of iPhones/iPads will bring :).

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Heck if we based decisions on marketing telling us what we are supposed to want, we'd all have an S4, S5, or Note 3. That's another area that has gone by the way side for Apple. Samsung has done well for the themselves by placing ads almost everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Heck if we based decisions on marketing telling us what we are supposed to want, we'd all have an S4, S5, or Note 3. That's another area that has gone by the way side for Apple. Samsung has done well for the themselves by placing ads almost everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

And yet, I'm still sporting my gold iPhone 5s without any regrets.

bunjy

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
My first smartphone was a BlackBerry and then an Android device and now iPhone. I used to make fun of Apple devotees, but since switching I have come to appreciate what Apple has to offer. For now, Apple is meeting my needs, but I'm open to other platforms that can offer the reliability, quality, and seamless experience I get from Apple. Until then, I'll stay right where I'm at...

Sent from my Awesome iPhone 5!

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
My thoughts on this is that you don't really have to worry about what anyone calls you. I understand it's hard to not get offended, but you do like tech (and a huge part of that tech is Apple's), so what can you do about that? Nothing.

Just play it cool and live your life...

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, I've used all the major platforms and I just like Apple a bit more. I don't think Apple is really any better than the competition but they think about things that are of interest to me: design aesthetics, physical appearance, etc.

I like the look and feel of Apple products and I am willing to pay for them. Ever since getting sucked in with my iPod last year, I've slowly iConverted and have been really happy as I've done so. I appreciate the design decisions and synchronization between my computers, phone, and tablets.

I don't regularly recommend Apple products outside of Apple forums though. They aren't the only show in town and they don't make sense for everyone: especially in computers.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, I've used all the major platforms and I just like Apple a bit more. I don't think Apple is really any better than the competition but they think about things that are of interest to me: design aesthetics, physical appearance, etc.

I like the look and feel of Apple products and I am willing to pay for them. Ever since getting sucked in with my iPod last year, I've slowly iConverted and have been really happy as I've done so. I appreciate the design decisions and synchronization between my computers, phone, and tablets.

I don't regularly recommend Apple products outside of Apple forums though. They aren't the only show in town and they don't make sense for everyone: especially in computers.

That, and it's pretty normal for people to get a certain brand regularly, and that's called Brand loyalty. Nothing wrong with having that, it has existed with shoes, bags, you name it.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Beyond the love for apple's hardware and its integration with software, I'm just a fan of the company. As a CPA and consultant, apple is ran to almost perfection.

Sure there's things here and there you might question but that list is a lot shorter vs other tech companies. Palm and hp looked like keystone cops in comparison. Or even Microsoft and their focus on metro in windows although windows 9 seems to be a reversal.

I'm just on board and agree with a lot of things that apple does. The latest WWDC only reaffirmed this for me.

Derrick4Real

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I don't particularly like the term 'fanboy' as I find 'fanatic' to be less durogatory. While some visit the forums looking for a quick answer to a problem they are having, many of us are here because we are fanatics...we are fans of a particular device(s) we are using. Whether it be IOS, Android, Apple, HTC, Samsung, etc. Some venture in and out of various platforms, some rock both at the same time, and others are loyalists to the core.

I imagine it is similar to a sports fan, a 'chevy vs ford' car guy, etc. A fanatic takes their interest and participation to another level. From a phone standpoint, a fanatic doesn't simply use it and then set it down not to be thought about again. They tweak it, customize it, research it, embellish it in cases, screen protectors, buy accesories for it, talk about it, show it off and sadly.....argue over it. Some get caught up in the comments sections of blog sites, others post at will in a forum. A fanatic is different from your standard person rocking a flip phone. They are different from that person who only knows how to text, check facebook, and take a selfie. They view their device as an extension of themselves. It is more than just a phone.

So I am curious, if it applies, what drives the fanboyism in you? And further, to what degree of fanatic are you? If you go to a sporting event, do you notice what phone another person is using just as much as you notice the jersey they are wearing? When you walk past someone in the store, do you take notice if the person is using a Galaxy vs an iPhone? Does it change your thoughts about someone, even in the least? Can you read a blog article on a tech site without perusing the comments section to see where people stand? Even further, can you avoid getting involved? Does it affect you if the device you use outsells another, is more popular than others, etc? If you are an iphone user, do the Samsung commercials irritate you? What drives folks to user terms like 'isheep', 'fandroids', etc. What prompts the animosity shown towards loyalists of other platforms. Do you go so far as to argue with your fellow man (woman) that the phone in your hands is 'better' than the phone in theirs?

Be honest lol. I know the politically correct answers. But deeeeeeeeeeeeep down inside of you, are you loyal to one over the other? Do you take pride in being 'Team iPhone' vs 'Team Android' vs 'Team Windows' etc. Or do you simply enjoy technology without loyalty to any one device or operating system.

No. Not remotely.

Personally i don't mind the term fanboy, likely because it doesn't apply to me though I would totally agree it has a derogatory connotation. And no offense I tend to understand why. When I use it, it's pretty much intended as a bad thing. It means i think you've got a crazy bias.

For me a phone is a tool for a job, be it communication or music or audiobooks. And i use the best tool for the job. I'm not particularly wedded to one or another. I've yet to decide if my next phone will be an iphone but i've already strongly considered android phones when ios 7 launched. In fact the biggest reason i use an iphone is simply because i'm a big music listener and in my experience ipods have been the best tool for listening to music. For example it read my tags properly, it didn't do a ton of quirky things like other players did. It was easy to use. So an iphone became a convenient extension to combine two devices into one. It wasn't about some devotion to the phone or a brand. I used Apple computers for about 10 years.Then used windows for 15 because it fit my needs better (my school used PCs exclusively as did my job).

But, and you said be honest, I don't particularly like the "fanboy" culture. I do not like it because I have zero interest in the tribalism that accompanies it. I dislike the "team anybody" mentality. I don't care if someone likes their android phone. If it pleases them great. I have no interest in telling them it's worse than my choice. If you don't like Beats headphones good for you. I don't need to hear your crusade against them. I have a Fender guitar. I'm not on Gibson forums fighting for the Fender cause. I find the whole thing silly. I'm happy with my guitar choice (i suck by the way) and that's enough for me. I don't think about it after that. Same goes for COD vs Battlefield, Xbox vs Playstation. I'm simply not fussed by the choices of other people. I've never tried to convert people to buy the phone I have. I'm fine with criticism of apple. I can think of tons of things i dislike about their products. I feel little need to defend Apple on principal. I don't mind a discussion but I'm not going to tell tell someone "Samsung sucks" or "Apple Sucks." And that mentality, that tribalism is the part of "fanboy" culture that i think is problematic and that i seek to not engage in.

The other thing is that there is this general bias, an most discussions tend to end up like a Fox News show where people decide where they want to end up then form an argument to fit that narrative. For example they want Apple (but it could be samsung, xbox, battlefield, etc) to be correct so no matter what, no matter what laws say, no matter the evidence, Apple is always right and they argue it to the death. I've little time for that blinkered view. And when i find myself engaged in a discussion with such a person i tend to bow out so as not to be the fool that argues with the fool.

Now i do think there are people who simply are infatuated with their product, As i think you said, buy all the accessories, and get a thousand cases, and follow the product closely, And that I think, though possibly excessive is fine. Because if you can do that without the need to talk down another product or another person's choice then i've no issue with it. I don't know the label for that person. I don't know the semantics so i'm not gonna try to classify it but the distinction i'd draw is one is obsessesd and biased and wants everyone else to like what they like and the other is simply obsessed but is focused on his/her own enjoyment not making anyone else like what they like.

As for some of your questions. No i don't notice other peoples phones in public. I don't discuss phones with anyone except one person who is a close friend but an Android obsessive or more like an Apple hater. But he's a close friend so i simply tolerate his annoying phone discussions. I don't judge people on their phones or their choice of technology. I'm not even paying attention by and large. I don't care about the popularity of something I buy for the sake of popularity. Other than the sense that popularity will likely mean more support and updates. For example, I have a wdtv media player. It's not as popular as Appletv, roku, chromecast. But i don't care because it fits my needs. It plays every obscure file format/codec combination in my library. The other alternatives don't. I wish more people had it because that would mean more apps likely get made for it but for the streaming my local content it works best. I don't worry what others use. I won't go through every question but you can guess my answers. Regardless, whatever side people fall on, android, samsung, apple, or whatever i pretty much have equal disdain for both simply because i find the endeavor pretty pointless.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It's weird. I think iPhones USED to be status symbols, but now that everyone has them that argument has kind of fallen by the wayside. It's just like what happened to BlackBerry. Having a BB used to mean you were a corporate big wig. Then within a couple years everyone had a Curve, Pearl, or Bold. Plus, iPhones definitely don't equal wealth anymore. I used to work for an organization that gave aid to the working poor. I can't tell you how many people would come in for our food and diaper pantry, clothing closet, etc sporting iPhones. It's like they chose hot tech over groceries!

Anyway, as for me, I'm just a tech enthusiast with a soft spot for underdogs. I'll always love BlackBerry and hope they climb out of this slump. My current daily driver is an HTC Android device. There is some amazing tech out there beyond what marketing tells you you're supposed to want. That being said though, I'm still looking forward to seeing what the next crop of iPhones/iPads will bring :).
It does seem a bit wrong, when one sports an iPhone and stands in the welfare line. It's not so much the phone's cost. They're sometimes offered free or discounted. It's the monthly carrier charges. Smartphones are still a luxury. But that's more and more changing to necessity.

Sent from from my iPhone 5

Paradocks

May 5, 2012
Visit site
I enjoy using both Android (Moto X) and iOS (iPad 3). My next purchase could be a next generation iPad Air. Both platforms offer pros and cons, but I admit to having a preference for Android since I use my phone more than the iPad. I love the customization, touchless control and active notifications offered by the Moto X. And I love the way apps on iOS just work better; more fluid gameplay and no stuttering. I use my iPad for after work play time. I will not consolidate my gadgets into one ecosystem because you miss out on the best that multiple platforms can offer. Am I a fanboy? Yes, a fanboy of technology. Looking forward to seeing what the Moto 360 smartwatch has to offer, and Apple's response to this growing category.

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Here's the plain truth for me: apple products are high class's devices, and are generally used by wealthier people. They are also more or less a status symbol. If I were to get an android, I would never hear the end of it from friends and family, and it would kill me because most poor people that I see in public have androids. I like high class brands (BMW, Saab, under armor, mosey oak, etc etc) and I like shopping at high end malls. So I pretty much like anything that's higher class, including higher class music.

Tl;Dr I am an apple fanboy because I like to associate myself with high class things, and people.
Also, I don't want it to sound like I only use apple devices for the reasons mentioned. They work the best for me, and I could prove with real facts that OS X is better than windows. iOS and android are = IMO, it just comes down to personal preference for them. But OS X is far superior to windows, and I can back that statement up with facts.

Whenever I see someone paying with food stamps at the grocery store they are ALWAYS (rudely) yapping on their iPhone. I swear it is an iPhone every single time. Having nice things =/= being wealthy. The illusion of having money is what people really care about. Not supporting themselves and their families for the long haul. I have an Android Phone (and have had many other OS's) and my wife has an iPhone, she has a windows laptop, I have an iMac. It is a choice that comes down to what works for you and has NOTHING to do with money considering a high end Android Phone costs the same as an iPhone. Apple products are high end manufactured electronics, so are some Android phones and some Windows phones.

"most poor people I see out in public have android phones" Seriously... how could you possibly know they are poor? I see people in my city that look homeless and then I see them get into a brand new corvette. Outward appearances don't tell the whole story.

"If I were to get an android, I would never hear the end of it from friends and family.." If this is true, I honestly feel bad for you.

LOL at under armor being a high class brand... I just can't with that statement.

I agree BMW's are nice. Saabs are trash cans.

Anyways enjoy your iphone.

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site

Absolutely agree with everything you said. Well put.

Last edited:

hydrogen3

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm some what confused.... Poor people/ have only Android devices? I thought the Federal Government subsided iPhones for welfare recipients?? :talk-hand:

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I enjoy my three platforms. Equally? No...at the moment I prefer my iPhone over my Q10 or my SGIII because it's working better for me than the other two. However, if BlackBerry ever gets its act together and gets me the native apps I want and resolves the myriad bugs I have to deal with (hello Bluetooth not working on my Honda CR-V) then my mind might change. It has been changed before.

At this time, iOS works perfectly for me. My iPhone and iPad and iTunes and iPod all sync perfectly. I've got NO complaints. So am I a fangirl? No....if I were I wouldn't be open to use other devices and to see what's good about them. For example, I love the BB10 OS. I love the keyboards, both physical and virtual. On my SGIII I LOVE the customisation. If I were a fangirl, I would not be able to say that.

What I CANNOT stand are the fanbois from other platforms who insult those of us with an open mind and who use multiple platforms. THAT sets my blood to boil.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
No. Not remotely.

Personally i don't mind the term fanboy, likely because it doesn't apply to me though I would totally agree it has a derogatory connotation. And no offense I tend to understand why. When I use it, it's pretty much intended as a bad thing. It means i think you've got a crazy bias.

For me a phone is a tool for a job, be it communication or music or audiobooks. And i use the best tool for the job. I'm not particularly wedded to one or another. I've yet to decide if my next phone will be an iphone but i've already strongly considered android phones when ios 7 launched. In fact the biggest reason i use an iphone is simply because i'm a big music listener and in my experience ipods have been the best tool for listening to music. For example it read my tags properly, it didn't do a ton of quirky things like other players did. It was easy to use. So an iphone became a convenient extension to combine two devices into one. It wasn't about some devotion to the phone or a brand. I used Apple computers for about 10 years.Then used windows for 15 because it fit my needs better (my school used PCs exclusively as did my job).

But, and you said be honest, I don't particularly like the "fanboy" culture. I do not like it because I have zero interest in the tribalism that accompanies it. I dislike the "team anybody" mentality. I don't care if someone likes their android phone. If it pleases them great. I have no interest in telling them it's worse than my choice. If you don't like Beats headphones good for you. I don't need to hear your crusade against them. I have a Fender guitar. I'm not on Gibson forums fighting for the Fender cause. I find the whole thing silly. I'm happy with my guitar choice (i suck by the way) and that's enough for me. I don't think about it after that. Same goes for COD vs Battlefield, Xbox vs Playstation. I'm simply not fussed by the choices of other people. I've never tried to convert people to buy the phone I have. I'm fine with criticism of apple. I can think of tons of things i dislike about their products. I feel little need to defend Apple on principal. I don't mind a discussion but I'm not going to tell tell someone "Samsung sucks" or "Apple Sucks." And that mentality, that tribalism is the part of "fanboy" culture that i think is problematic and that i seek to not engage in.

The other thing is that there is this general bias, an most discussions tend to end up like a Fox News show where people decide where they want to end up then form an argument to fit that narrative. For example they want Apple (but it could be samsung, xbox, battlefield, etc) to be correct so no matter what, no matter what laws say, no matter the evidence, Apple is always right and they argue it to the death. I've little time for that blinkered view. And when i find myself engaged in a discussion with such a person i tend to bow out so as not to be the fool that argues with the fool.

Now i do think there are people who simply are infatuated with their product, As i think you said, buy all the accessories, and get a thousand cases, and follow the product closely, And that I think, though possibly excessive is fine. Because if you can do that without the need to talk down another product or another person's choice then i've no issue with it. I don't know the label for that person. I don't know the semantics so i'm not gonna try to classify it but the distinction i'd draw is one is obsessesd and biased and wants everyone else to like what they like and the other is simply obsessed but is focused on his/her own enjoyment not making anyone else like what they like.

As for some of your questions. No i don't notice other peoples phones in public. I don't discuss phones with anyone except one person who is a close friend but an Android obsessive or more like an Apple hater. But he's a close friend so i simply tolerate his annoying phone discussions. I don't judge people on their phones or their choice of technology. I'm not even paying attention by and large. I don't care about the popularity of something I buy for the sake of popularity. Other than the sense that popularity will likely mean more support and updates. For example, I have a wdtv media player. It's not as popular as Appletv, roku, chromecast. But i don't care because it fits my needs. It plays every obscure file format/codec combination in my library. The other alternatives don't. I wish more people had it because that would mean more apps likely get made for it but for the streaming my local content it works best. I don't worry what others use. I won't go through every question but you can guess my answers. Regardless, whatever side people fall on, android, samsung, apple, or whatever i pretty much have equal disdain for both simply because i find the endeavor pretty pointless.

Quoted for truth, for emphasis, and to say that I've just developed another girl crush.....

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I enjoy my three platforms. Equally? No...at the moment I prefer my iPhone over my Q10 or my SGIII because it's working better for me than the other two. However, if BlackBerry ever gets its act together and gets me the native apps I want and resolves the myriad bugs I have to deal with (hello Bluetooth not working on my Honda CR-V) then my mind might change. It has been changed before.

At this time, iOS works perfectly for me. My iPhone and iPad and iTunes and iPod all sync perfectly. I've got NO complaints. So am I a fangirl? No....if I were I wouldn't be open to use other devices and to see what's good about them. For example, I love the BB10 OS. I love the keyboards, both physical and virtual. On my SGIII I LOVE the customisation. If I were a fangirl, I would not be able to say that.

What I CANNOT stand are the fanbois from other platforms who insult those of us with an open mind and who use multiple platforms. THAT sets my blood to boil.

What year is your Honda CRV? I just bought a 2014 and the bluetooth on Android works, but it is a little wonky. Google Play Music app shows wrong song names, but on stock music player it works fine, so I switched to that. Other than that issue with Play Music all thew bluetooth functions work correctly, text, making and receiving calls, etc.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
What year is your Honda CRV? I just bought a 2014 and the bluetooth on Android works, but it is a little wonky. Google Play Music app shows wrong song names, but on stock music player it works fine, so I switched to that. Other than that issue with Play Music all thew bluetooth functions work correctly, text, making and receiving calls, etc.

It's a 2014 also. The iPhone and the SGIII work fine but the Q10 does not. iPhone music plays perfectly. Making/receiving calls is perfect, no problem.

On the Q10, I can't receive calls AT ALL. Only make them.

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
It's a 2014 also. The iPhone and the SGIII work fine but the Q10 does not. iPhone music plays perfectly. Making/receiving calls is perfect, no problem.

On the Q10, I can't receive calls AT ALL. Only make them.

So odd. Anyways, I love this car! Hope you enjoy yours too :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal