Are you a fanboy and what drives it (if so)

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Fanboy is usually a term used to describe someone by another person. Not in all cases.... but most of the time its a label given, not claimed.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Did you ever notice that the people who say they don't care what anyone thinks are the ones who care the most about what others think ?...
PS- Apple products rule, others drool! Anyone who disagrees can go suck it! I'm out ... :)

Antron

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
An oldie but goodie...

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/19/tech/mobile/apple-samsung-peace-treaty/index.html

Apple vs. Samsung: A peace treaty

WHEREAS, online forums, queues for new products and technology blogs have become polluted with smack talk, useless feature comparisons and Photoshopped ads meant to deride and belittle each other's device preference, and...

WHEREAS both sets of Parties recognize that a competitive market is both critical and necessary for continued technological innovation to benefit all, especially early adopters...

NOW, THEREFORE, the Parties agree to abide by the agreements herein, enumerated in the terms of the articles set forth below:

ARTICLE 1

Apple Fanboys agree not to keep bringing up the August 2012 $1 billion patent verdict against Samsung as a way of trying to squelch any disagreement over who may have copied what, recognizing that the case covered a limited scope of features. Samsung Fanboys will similarly cease efforts to end all arguments by discussing "Open" versus "Closed" platforms, accepting that there are numerous advantages and disadvantages to each.

ARTICLE 2

Apple Fanboys won't list how many apps are available for iOS (more than 700,000, since the treaty brought it up) on every message board about app development while Samsung Fanboys will minimize cross-Party discussion of expandable SD-card memory, replaceable batteries, screen size, NFC technology or how Android's notifications are still way better than Apple's, even after Notification Center was added to iOS and Mac OS X.

ARTICLE 3

Both Parties will agree that Widgets, often touted as a selling point by Samsung Fanboys, are actually kinda dumb, but then so is Apple's "Podcast" app, which is just absolutely the worst. Apple Fanboys acknowledge that Animated Wallpaper would be a nice feature to have while Samsung Fanboys admit that late at night, they sometimes wake up screaming from nightmares about product upgrade fragmentation across the Android platform.

ARTICLE 4

Apple Fanboys vow to stop taking the words of Steve Jobs (RIP) about going thermonuclear on Google over Android as personal marching orders. Samsung Fanboys agree to share some of the 50 Gigabytes of Dropbox storage that came with their Galaxy S3 phone and to let Apple Fanboys play around with the Swype keyboard feature whenever it is requested.

ARTICLE 5

Both Parties agree to a complete and immediate ban on mocking in the following manner: Apple Fanboys will no longer pick up a Samsung Note device and hold it up to their ear, shouting, "HELLO!? I THINK THIS PHONE IS TOO BIG FOR MY FACE!" Samsung Fanboys likewise agree to stop posting images online of people holding up iPads to take photos, superimposed with the word "FAIL" on the image.

ARTICLE 6

Samsung Fanboys agree to immediately boycott and disown television commercials making fun of Apple customers standing in line. Apple Fanboys, in exchange, promise to stop treating iPhone and iPad launch days like a national holiday or, Steve Jobs forbid, like the Woodstock of their generation.

ARTICLE 7

The oath to be taken by both Apple and Samsung Fanboys upon ratification of this peace treaty shall be in the following form: "I ....... do solemnly swear allegiance to all sleek, cutting-edge, full-featured mobile devices, be they made by Apple or by manufacturers of Android-based products. Should I feel the need to criticize, boast by comparison or complain about a product that rivals the one I own and use, such Internet-based venom will be directed at a third-party target [namely Windows mobile or, ha ha, BlackBerry users. LAME.]."

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the respective Parties sign this Treaty by digital signature or QR Code, then Tweet a link for all to see.

BY AGREEMENT OF BOTH PARTIES, war between Apple and Samsung Fanboys is declared to have terminated October, 2012.

Last edited:

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
In my best Brooklyn NY voice...."Yea I'm a FanBoy, ya gotta problem wit dat". SMILE. (only kidding). To each his/her own, buy what you like and don't get caught up in the "phone wars" thing. What might be a great smartphone for one, might not be the same experience for another. Also, when I start looking at my phone as a status symbol (rich, poor ect.), I have a bigger problem with knowing who I am

Last edited:

brett_f

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
This is a great thread!!

I think about this a lot. Maybe too much? I could have a problem. :p

I am a huge fanboy of technology, but not necessarily any single company. I have an iPhone 5 and a Nexus 5, and I've been known to switch my sim card between the two... sometimes more than once in a day! I know, I know... it's weird. ;)

I pay attention to EVERY phone I see. And, it actually can affect my thoughts regarding that person.. even if they are a total stranger.

A couple of examples..I'm in a technical profession. One of my peers is MUCH smarter than I am, and he uses an iPhone and loves it. So I think, dang I should use my iPhone too! This guy is so smart and obviously can be trusted with these decisions!! LOL. Seriously.

Also, I've seen market share numbers and the Apple is DOOMED headlines. Usually I can ignore that kind of stuff, but occasionally an article is SO persuasive that I have actually moved the sim card over to the Nexus 5 right then! Only to move back again later that day when I want to use iMessage with a group of friends. (Don't get me started on iMessage... it truly is one of the biggest reasons I remain on iPhone... not the only reason... but a big one. I could build an entire thread about my feelings and reasoning on that... maybe I will?)

Another thing.. my iPhone doesn't work properly in my Jeep. I can't use Siri, can't hear notifications, etc. I can only use it to make and receive Bluetooth calls. My Nexus 5 works completely fine in my Jeep. That has caused me to switch the sim card a time or two as well. :p:p

I apologize for the long post, but this is a subject near and dear to me. I try not to get too caught up in the "elitist" stuff in blog post comments, etc. There are normally plenty of those comments on both sides.

So ultimately, I'm Team Technology, but I use my iPhone MUCH more than any other device. And, Apple has convinced me that iOS 8 will change the game. In terms of features, I believe iOS 8 considerably narrows the gap between iOS and Android. (Notice I didn't say between Apple and Samsung :biggrin:)

-Brett

pantlesspenguin

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
It does seem a bit wrong, when one sports an iPhone and stands in the welfare line. It's not so much the phone's cost. They're sometimes offered free or discounted. It's the monthly carrier charges. Smartphones are still a luxury. But that's more and more changing to necessity.

Sent from from my iPhone 5

This is true now, but when I worked there it was 2011 and there wasn't such a thing as discounted iPhones yet. I saw lots of 4 and 4s's in that line.

Nathan Petersen

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Here's the plain truth for me: apple products are high class's devices, and are generally used by wealthier people. They are also more or less a status symbol. If I were to get an android, I would never hear the end of it from friends and family, and it would kill me because most poor people that I see in public have androids. I like high class brands (BMW, Saab, under armor, mosey oak, etc etc) and I like shopping at high end malls. So I pretty much like anything that's higher class, including higher class music.

Tl;Dr I am an apple fanboy because I like to associate myself with high class things, and people.
Also, I don't want it to sound like I only use apple devices for the reasons mentioned. They work the best for me, and I could prove with real facts that OS X is better than windows. iOS and android are = IMO, it just comes down to personal preference for them. But OS X is far superior to windows, and I can back that statement up with facts.

Let me get this straight. Because something costs 10x more it makes it better?
1. High end, good androids costs the same as iphones,
2. Android has a wide array of devices so people of all sorts of economical classes can get one, that can still function unlike outdated iphones
And where are these facts you claim to have that your overpriced Mac is better than a PC?

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Let me get this straight. Because something costs 10x more it makes it better?
1. High end, good androids costs the same as iphones,
2. Android has a wide array of devices so people of all sorts of economical classes can get one, that can still function unlike outdated iphones
And where are these facts you claim to have that your overpriced Mac is better than a PC?

For one it's not overpriced. For it to be overpriced, there would have to be a windows machine that had all that the MacBook Air has to offer; for less. And that's not the case. There are no windows ultra books that get 13+ hours of battery life. So just the battery life alone makes your and every Apple haters claim of Macs being over priced false. As for the proof of it being better:

Here's just a few reasons:

We can run windows too if we need to(bootcamp)

Mission control( you can't know how useful this is until you use it)

Multiple desktop pages

Spotlight

All of the settings are in ONE place(from what I recall about windows 8, is that there is two or three settings different pages.

Free office software

Free video editing software

Free photo editing software

Free audio editing software
(Lots of money saved right there)

Free software updates
(More money saved)

Far simpler UI, making it easier to use.

Far more open than windows.

Need anymore?

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
And as I stated earlier, I used to waste a lot of time arguing with apple haters like you ^, but I refuse to get pulled down into a fan war again! It's a waste of time. If you wanna argue, find someone else to argue with.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I am a huge Apple fan, but not fanboy. Of course, I like their products, I think they perform great and are the best out there. That doesn't mean that I hate Android, because I don't. I have actually changed my mind about the next phone I plan on buying a few times, which started with the iP6, then the N5, then the iP6 again, then the HTC One M8, then back to an iP6. I like both OSes, both offer some stuff that the other one doesn't. It's all a matter of preference. :)

BBFunGuy

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
It is the fear of not having made an intelligent purchase that has people banging pots and pans together on the internet. The more noise they make about how good the purchase they made is, the less afraid they feel. Fear is the emotional driver.

Someone being fanatically obssessed with any particular device, or company, is very different, and somewhat rare, in comparison.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
e3u7u6y8.jpg

I'm a tech fangirl. I don't care what OS it has, what manufacturer, how old the technology is... I want it. I want to try it. I want to modify it. I want to experience what it has to offer.

I don't care what anyone says about my desire to chase technology. That won't hurt my feelings. My pursuit of device knowledge is constantly expanding.

No matter your taste on phones, tablets, computers, cars, etc... just remember that these things are here for us to enjoy. Don't let anyone take that from you.

Sent from Blue 32 using Tapatalk Pro.

BBFunGuy

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I would like people not to take enjoyment of devices away from us, but unfortunately the consumer tech industry is driven by dissatisfaction, and in people purchasing the latest of everything. To me that was a picture of things people have become unhappy with, and replaced with newer things.

Derrick4Real

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Quoted for truth, for emphasis, and to say that I've just developed another girl crush.....

Ahh. Thank you. And because i'm secure i my masculinity, I'm happy to be a girl crush. ;)
Although, lol, i'm now realizing I may have misunderstand the concept all this time. Is a girl crush a crush on a girl or a crush by a girl? I always thought it was on a girl. Regardless. I shall cherish this moment for eons. ;)

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Ahh. Thank you. And because i'm secure i my masculinity, I'm happy to be a girl crush. ;)
Although, lol, i'm now realizing I may have misunderstand the concept all this time. Is a girl crush a crush on a girl or a crush by a girl? I always thought it was on a girl. Regardless. I shall cherish this moment for eons. ;)

Welllllll dang it Derrick.....how the H3LL did I EVER get that so wrong?!?! Oh sure I can try to save face here but I won't insult your *obvious* intelligence, grace, and sense of humour.

Let me do two things.....no, three....apologise profusely, tell you that my crush just became all out passion, and promise that I will NEVER post on the forum again without my glasses!!!

MMMUUUAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!

Sent from my GORGEOUS, AWESOME Gold 64G iPhone 5s via Tapatalk

Derrick4Real

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
It does seem a bit wrong, when one sports an iPhone and stands in the welfare line. It's not so much the phone's cost. They're sometimes offered free or discounted. It's the monthly carrier charges. Smartphones are still a luxury. But that's more and more changing to necessity.

Sent from from my iPhone 5
I think it's wrong to assume that these are luxury items. Iphones are now on all the major and many minor carriers making them readily available (in the U.S.). You can get them on prepaid plans too that skew towards lower income brackets. And many retailers like target, best buy, or local outlets and Amazon ( and other online retailers), have deals on all smartphones but specifically iphones that provide good discounts. There's a bundle from Tmobile mentioned on page two or three if imore.com now. My mother got her iphone 5 for free, largely because to her it was simply a new phone and nothing in a iphone 5s mattered to her necessitating one, waiting 3 months for it to come out and two, paying $200 more dollars. A few months back I believe best buy or sprint offered a 5S free with a trade in smartphone. Some carriers will give steep discounts simply for coming from another carrier. You can get a 5c for $49 no making iphones pretty damn approachable for the average person. And if you buy an older model of smartphone of any brand on my carrier there are several that are offered free. And for many people an older model is perfectly satisfactory. Hell i'm still using a 4s and the ONLY thing it's missing that interest me is LTE meaning a 5 would satisfy me the same as a 5s. Honestly if my 4s had LTE i'd see no reason to upgrade. Not for my needs.

As for the carrier charges yep those charges can be a problem. However a savvy shopper can hunt for deals. i'm on Sprint and i pay the exact same rate as i payed with my dumbphone on tmobile which is around $54 dollars a month. Plus I got discount just by googling discounts online when i signed up with Sprint. I actually have more voice minutes (which i rarely use) and still have unlimited text and data. Early on i didn't have a iphone because i couldn't afford AT&T but now it's on sprint and T-mobile and fees aren't a big deal. So i think if a person is willing to buy at the right time and is a savvy shopper, which you have to be when you're on public assistance, you can find iphones (and many smartphones) at reasonable prices on plans that don't cost much more than dumbphone plans. And if you're on a family plan it may be discounted further. Oh and i forgot they have payment plans too now so you pay for the cost of the $149 phone over 2 years along with your bill, so on a monthly basis you're not paying much.

Also consider that lower income people have been quick to cut land lines as it becomes a needless cost, and do so at higher rates than more wealthy people and older people, making that one communication devices and even more vital purchase and more worth investing a little more money into.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2