Apple User Thoughts On BlackBerry Passport

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Lol. Ok.. I know this is an Apple fan site and thats ok. I know some of you are simple enough to have not used a product and yet.. totally play it down with snark and abuse just cos of some fanboyism that is played out.. but thats ok too. Thanks to the Iphone... a great phone in its prime.. every other phone on the market is just a dull pack of meh too phones and some of us love them blindly for the most part. Sad really. I even pushed my wife to get an Iphone 5s despite her coming from a 9900 just cos I knew it is what would best suit her i.e. size, ease of use and apps if she ever needed them. I stay in touch with apple goings on to the point that i've stopped her from updating to IOS8 until all kinks are ironed out.

Even me.. being a BlackBerry user will admit that BlackBerry fell for it with the z10 and z30 and I'm so glad they got wiser with John Chen at the helm and realised it was a battle they could not win. In fact that was a battle they lost eons ago despite how good I feel the Blackberry z10 is. It was too late. I'm not a fanboy.

Enter the Passport.

I have had one for the last 5 days and just to make it clear.. this is the best built phone in the mobile space today hands down. It is the most and only innovative phone on the market today. Agree or not.. that's fine, but the truth remains the truth. The screen, speed, the way it runs native and android apps, the keyboard (never before seen and thats a fact) and etc.. ridiculously fantastic. Did I mention the build quality? Lord have mercy.. that build quality. Solid one piece stainless steel that holds it together. It would not bend in your pocket. Trust me. However, if you do decide to use it as a frisbee be careful you don't hit anyone cos it would hurt the person really bad and you might get sued for GBH like we say here in the UK.. aka grievous bodily harm.

Another thing.. this is a phone targeted at business users but still packs a punch on that fun side. It seeks not to compete with the meh too phones but somehow you guys gladly and totally seem to avoid that fact and try to group it with the meh too phones like the Iphones and it's wannabes. Feel free to put the z10 and z30 in that group too but with the Passport.. please lets be a little more intelligent. Don't.

This phone is not for everyone and you Iphone lovers for the most part, would fall into that group and that's ok. Lets just chill with the snide uninformed remarks cos I really do expect more from a site that tries to pride itself on fairness and supposedly frowns on the crazy Crackberry and Android fanatics, faithful or whatever else you choose to call us. This isn't a war. Your view would never change anyone's personal choice. It's yours and that's the most and all it can ever be. Nobody cares.

I'll just leave these links here for you guys to read. These are folks who are just like you but took that giant step for mankind and chose not to be followers without a cause. They are not fanboys.. neither are they unnecessary haters. If you prefer to read the blatantly biased reviews from well known Blackberry haters then just hit the likes of Verge and co to get your complementary glass of Blackberry hate.

Have fun.

BlackBerry Passport Review: Don?t Believe The Haters: Prices, Specifications, Reviews | Know Your Mobile

Vulture takes BlackBerry's Passport through customs • The Register

BlackBerry Passport review: A truly innovative smartphone of 2014 - Tech2

Review: BlackBerry Passport
http://gif.co/o41f.gif
Lol "only innovative device on the market"! "Best built phone on the market" LOL! You know what? A dump truck is built better than a bmw...... Enjoy your stone-age-looking-failure phone. http://gif.co/o6sj.gif

Last edited:

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Lol. Ok.. I know this is an Apple fan site and thats ok. I know some of you are simple enough to have not used a product and yet.. totally play it down with snark and abuse just cos of some fanboyism that is played out.. but thats ok too. Thanks to the Iphone... a great phone in its prime.. every other phone on the market is just a dull pack of meh too phones and some of us love them blindly for the most part. Sad really. I even pushed my wife to get an Iphone 5s despite her coming from a 9900 just cos I knew it is what would best suit her i.e. size, ease of use and apps if she ever needed them. I stay in touch with apple goings on to the point that i've stopped her from updating to IOS8 until all kinks are ironed out.

Even me.. being a BlackBerry user will admit that BlackBerry fell for it with the z10 and z30 and I'm so glad they got wiser with John Chen at the helm and realised it was a battle they could not win. In fact that was a battle they lost eons ago despite how good I feel the Blackberry z10 is. It was too late. I'm not a fanboy.

Enter the Passport.

I have had one for the last 5 days and just to make it clear.. this is the best built phone in the mobile space today hands down. It is the most and only innovative phone on the market today. Agree or not.. that's fine, but the truth remains the truth. The screen, speed, the way it runs native and android apps, the keyboard (never before seen and thats a fact) and etc.. ridiculously fantastic. Did I mention the build quality? Lord have mercy.. that build quality. Solid one piece stainless steel that holds it together. It would not bend in your pocket. Trust me. However, if you do decide to use it as a frisbee be careful you don't hit anyone cos it would hurt the person really bad and you might get sued for GBH like we say here in the UK.. aka grievous bodily harm.

Another thing.. this is a phone targeted at business users but still packs a punch on that fun side. It seeks not to compete with the meh too phones but somehow you guys gladly and totally seem to avoid that fact and try to group it with the meh too phones like the Iphones and it's wannabes. Feel free to put the z10 and z30 in that group too but with the Passport.. please lets be a little more intelligent. Don't.

This phone is not for everyone and you Iphone lovers for the most part, would fall into that group and that's ok. Lets just chill with the snide uninformed remarks cos I really do expect more from a site that tries to pride itself on fairness and supposedly frowns on the crazy Crackberry and Android fanatics, faithful or whatever else you choose to call us. This isn't a war. Your view would never change anyone's personal choice. It's yours and that's the most and all it can ever be. Nobody cares.

I'll just leave these links here for you guys to read. These are folks who are just like you but took that giant step for mankind and chose not to be followers without a cause. They are not fanboys.. neither are they unnecessary haters. If you prefer to read the blatantly biased reviews from well known Blackberry haters then just hit the likes of Verge and co to get your complementary glass of Blackberry hate.

Have fun.

BlackBerry Passport Review: Don?€™t Believe The Haters: Prices, Specifications, Reviews | Know Your Mobile

Vulture takes BlackBerry's Passport through customs ?€? The Register

BlackBerry Passport review: A truly innovative smartphone of 2014 - Tech2

Review: BlackBerry Passport

jennifer-lawrence-10.gif

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
To be fair, the Blackberry Passport is one of the more interesting devices this year. Look at this way it had all the specs of all the high end devices plus a touch sensitive keyboard, and a high resolution square display. Different for sure, I can't call it ugly to be honest as I like the design because it is so unique.

If anything it throws people perceptions of what a smartphone should look like so much so that people think it is ugly. Though I am quite sure some think it honestly looks ugly.

I am not one to really judge a phones looks, it is at the end of the day a tool and a phone. I throw my phone in a case everyday.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Well.....thank you for your opinion.

The OP requested thoughts on the device. And we're giving it.

My opinion is that it is a hideous abomination comparable to the Aztek. Or the Edsel. Or the Pacer. No car analogies? OK it's as attractive as these:
View attachment 68020
Your launch your attack on us by calling us simple. Keep your BlackBerry insults on whatever BlackBerry delusional apologist site you want. If you want to be welcomed here I would suggest calling us simple is a bad way to begin.
I would not touch another BlackBerry product after the disaster that is Link decided to make a backup I'd made irretrievable. Family memories inaccessible. So this is NOT a good time to come at me with BlackBerry defenses.
And let's not get into apps. The Quasimodo requires the use of Android apps because of the anaemic offerings of BBW. These apps are often laggy when they run. IF they run. And I personally am not keen on having a device that relies in unoptimised apps from another platform and NO native ecosystem.
I am not a Chen sycophant who cheers like a Pavlovian trained fanboi at the sight of the Quasimodo. I am a consumer BURNED by the company's disastrous desktop manager. I am a stockholder who bought at $27 and I'm STILL holding and IF EVER that stock goes over $30 and I recoup investment AND interest lost, I'll dump it and NEVER touch it again.
THIS is not the site where BlackBerry acolytes come to spew their hatred of our devices and kneel to the altar of Chen and the Quasimodo. THIS is not the site where I have to sit while a Pavlovian pack attacks me with impunity. And all because of A PHONE. There are plenty of BlackBerry sites for that.

So.....the name calling goes OUT when you come HERE. And if a parade delusional rabid BlackBerry acolytes come here to attack us in the usual Pavlovian attack pack response, you will find moderators at iMore don't shy away from dealing with such a pack. There is not one appeaser in the lot.

BlackBerry Passport Review: A Smartphone Aimed Squarely at Professionals - WSJ - WSJ
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/09/2...lackberry-passport-review.html?referrer=&_r=0

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6

Well stated. Unfortunately, many of us "former" BB users are "former" for reason that you mention - complete and utter failures that resulted in the loss of precious memories. Plus the fact that RIM/BlackBerry has historically been a horrendously run company who could not manage to hold the huge lead that they had built in the market.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
To be fair, the Blackberry Passport is one of the more interesting devices this year. Look at this way it had all the specs of all the high end devices plus a touch sensitive keyboard, and a high resolution square display. Different for sure, I can't call it ugly to be honest as I like the design because it is so unique.

If anything it throws people perceptions of what a smartphone should look like so much so that people think it is ugly. Though I am quite sure some think it honestly looks ugly.

I am not one to really judge a phones looks, it is at the end of the day a tool and a phone. I throw my phone in a case everyday.

I use cases too.

Here is the thing - the three rows so far down at the bottom would make me uncomfortable. It is too far down of a reach to type and too far up to hold the device to balance properly. I tried holding my passport in the way that I would have to hold this phone to type and it would not feel comfortable. True I haven't held the device. But I'm fairly certain that it would be nothing except awkward for me.

As far as looks. A wildebeest looks interesting. I find it ugly in comparison to a gazelle. A Smart car is interesting. I find it ugly compared to a Mini Cooper.

Interesting is often a euphemism for simply ugly. The Passport is, in my mind, a hideously unattractive design. And if I'm going to be using as much as I use my phone, I don't want to cringe when I look at it. And I don't want to have to get used to it.

It's like anything. If I had a choice of the perfect man, I would not give him the best attributes possible and then make him look like Marty Feldman. I'd make him look like Jude Law.

anon3230140

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Well.....thank you for your opinion.

The OP requested thoughts on the device. And we're giving it.

My opinion is that it is a hideous abomination comparable to the Aztek. Or the Edsel. Or the Pacer. No car analogies? OK it's as attractive as these:
View attachment 68020
Your launch your attack on us by calling us simple. Keep your BlackBerry insults on whatever BlackBerry delusional apologist site you want. If you want to be welcomed here I would suggest calling us simple is a bad way to begin.
I would not touch another BlackBerry product after the disaster that is Link decided to make a backup I'd made irretrievable. Family memories inaccessible. So this is NOT a good time to come at me with BlackBerry defenses.
And let's not get into apps. The Quasimodo requires the use of Android apps because of the anaemic offerings of BBW. These apps are often laggy when they run. IF they run. And I personally am not keen on having a device that relies in unoptimised apps from another platform and NO native ecosystem.
I am not a Chen sycophant who cheers like a Pavlovian trained fanboi at the sight of the Quasimodo. I am a consumer BURNED by the company's disastrous desktop manager. I am a stockholder who bought at $27 and I'm STILL holding and IF EVER that stock goes over $30 and I recoup investment AND interest lost, I'll dump it and NEVER touch it again.
THIS is not the site where BlackBerry acolytes come to spew their hatred of our devices and kneel to the altar of Chen and the Quasimodo. THIS is not the site where I have to sit while a Pavlovian pack attacks me with impunity. And all because of A PHONE. There are plenty of BlackBerry sites for that.

So.....the name calling goes OUT when you come HERE. And if a parade delusional rabid BlackBerry acolytes come here to attack us in the usual Pavlovian attack pack response, you will find moderators at iMore don't shy away from dealing with such a pack. There is not one appeaser in the lot.

BlackBerry Passport Review: A Smartphone Aimed Squarely at Professionals - WSJ - WSJ
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/09/2...lackberry-passport-review.html?referrer=&_r=0

Story. Long.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I use cases too.

Here is the thing - the three rows so far down at the bottom would make me uncomfortable. It is too far down of a reach to type and too far up to hold the device to balance properly. I tried holding my passport in the way that I would have to hold this phone to type and it would not feel comfortable. True I haven't held the device. But I'm fairly certain that it would be nothing except awkward for me.

As far as looks. A wildebeest looks interesting. I find it ugly in comparison to a gazelle. A Smart car is interesting. I find it ugly compared to a Mini Cooper.

Interesting is often a euphemism for simply ugly. The Passport is, in my mind, a hideously unattractive design. And if I'm going to be using as much as I use my phone, I don't want to cringe when I look at it. And I don't want to have to get used to it.

It's like anything. If I had a choice of the perfect man, I would not give him the best attributes possible and then make him look like Marty Feldman. I'd make him look like Jude Law.

From what I have been seeing from reddit to Crackberry to other tech sites, the keyboard does take time to get used too, but once you get used to it gets better. But I wouldn't personally get a Passport as I am on Verizon and I have small hands, the Passport is too wide for my tastes.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
From what I have been seeing from reddit to Crackberry to other tech sites, the keyboard does take time to get used too, but once you get used to it gets better. But I wouldn't personally get a Passport as I am on Verizon and I have small hands, the Passport is too wide for my tastes.

Yah mine are small. I'm a people macnugget standing at 4'11. I've got tiny hands and short fingers. It would be very awkward. Main reason for not getting the 6 Plus.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Yah mine are small. I'm a people macnugget standing at 4'11. I've got tiny hands and short fingers. It would be very awkward. Main reason for not getting the 6 Plus.

Yeah, I saw the iPhone 6 Plus and the G3 and it was bigger than that, and I have held a G3, that phone is huge.

As far as size goes the Moto X when I had it was about my limit when it comes to using a phone one handed, so I am just sitting here with a brand new Droid Razr M (thanks to Asurion after my other one took a swim) waiting with baited breath a device that is somewhere in the same size range with more power.

If nothing comes by Spring, I'll just get an iPhone probably.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
You know I was SO surprised when I put my iPhone 6 next to my old SGIII (with the tragically broken screen) and they were almost the same size! Also almost the same size as the Galaxy 5.
I remember when I thought my SGIII was huge. And the BB fanbois were making fun of the size of the device. Now look at the Passport.
Suddenly size is not an issue.

I LOVED my sexy red SGIII. I almost cried when I shattered that screen.

Carjackd

Trusted Member
Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Well, say what you want about the appearance, "it's ugly", "it's too big", "It looks awkward" but that is exactly what the attraction is to the device. Never thought I'd go back to a physical keyboard. But after a few weeks, this device is simply awesome.

In the last two years blackberry devices have been getting lost in the sea of smartphones. I'm sure the average consumer just thought my z10 was a iphone and my Z30 was an android device. But....there is no mistaking a passport and that is what has people realizing that BlackBerry is still making phones.

Wednesday night i was stopped at least 25 times by people asking me "Is that the new BlackBerry Passport"? Nobody stopped me with my z10 and z30.

So call it Big, Ugly, Awkward but I'll call it different and it's that innovative appearance that is turning heads.

Posted via the Android iMore App!

anon3230140

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
The rest of the world knows it's the iPhone psyche that laughed at bigger phones and claimed some lame "built around your hand" reason that we all knew was bs. Blackberry did big ages ago with the z30. Even the z10 was bigger than any iPhone when it came out now you're late to the party you're trying to say it's BlackBerry users that made fun of u.

Laughable.

Btw.. when it comes to looks in regards to the BlackBerry Passport you and those like you that share the same opinion are in that tiny minority that end up being irrelevant.

Your opinion is irrelevant. Deal with it. End of.

Enjoy..

It's Sexy, But Will The Passport Help BlackBerry Regain Dominance As A Status Symbol? - Forbes

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
The rest of the world knows it's the iPhone psyche that laughed at bigger phones and claimed some lame "built around your hand" reason that we all knew was bs. Blackberry did big ages ago with the z30. Even the z10 was bigger than any iPhone when it came out now you're late to the party you're trying to say it's BlackBerry users that made fun of u.

Laughable.

Btw.. when it comes to looks in regards to the BlackBerry Passport you and those like you that share the same opinion are in that tiny minority that end up being irrelevant.

Enjoy..

It's Sexy, But Will The Passport Help BlackBerry Regain Dominance As A Status Symbol? - Forbes

The BlackBerry Z30 "did big ages ago"? The official Z30 announcement was in September of 2013. Someone call the press and let them know that "ages ago" is to be redefined as about 12 months.

anon3230140

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
The BlackBerry Z30 "did big ages ago"? The official Z30 announcement was in September of 2013. Someone call the press and let them know that "ages ago" is to be redefined as about 12 months.

Sorry dude but in this smartphone world.. a year a go IS ages ago.

Thought you knew? You better ask somebody.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Well, say what you want about the appearance, "it's ugly", "it's too big", "It looks awkward" but that is exactly what the attraction is to the device. Never thought I'd go back to a physical keyboard. But after a few weeks, this device is simply awesome.

In the last two years blackberry devices have been getting lost in the sea of smartphones. I'm sure the average consumer just thought my z10 was a iphone and my Z30 was an android device. But....there is no mistaking a passport and that is what has people realizing that BlackBerry is still making phones.

Wednesday night i was stopped at least 25 times by people asking me "Is that the new BlackBerry Passport"? Nobody stopped me with my z10 and z30.

So call it Big, Ugly, Awkward but I'll call it different and it's that innovative appearance that is turning heads.

Posted via the Android iMore App!

I don't consider a device awesome that I've got to load up with Android apps. Not that I mind Android apps. I simply want them in an Android device.

I understand liking something unique. After all there are people who love Chinese Cresteds. But I don't. So to each his own.

Tell me. Is there a law that compels me to like the Passports? Because I don't. Good for you that you do and you've got one. But I don't. Why such a campaign to force the "Passport is awesome" down my throat? Let's say I get it. I'm still stuck having to get Android apps for a BlackBerry. Tell me. Has Google approved the use of Android apps on BlackBerry?

For that reason, and the UI (I don't like 10.3), and the looks of the device, and the 1:1 ratio, I won't get it.

And I've got a feeling that at least a couple others on this thread won't.

Enjoy your device. I mean it.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
The rest of the world knows it's the iPhone psyche that laughed at bigger phones and claimed some lame "built around your hand" reason that we all knew was bs.

Actually, I read many BlackBerry fanbois ridicule the Note series and the larger Android devices. And now they're touting a device so large that it's impossible to use one handed which was one of their big must haves. Also, if we're going to discuss who laughed at what's, there is an article floating around if what Mike L and Jim B said about the iPhone. Guess maybe they shouldn't have laughed.

http://www.businessinsider.com/rim-ceo-quotes-2011-9?op=1

Blackberry did big ages ago with the z30. Even the z10 was bigger than any iPhone when it came out now you're late to the party you're trying to say it's BlackBerry users that made fun of u.

Oh goody. They did it first with the Z30 and the Z10. Fantastic. How many did those sell? The ones that had to be written down? Oh they also did it first with the Storm which was the "iPhone killer." What happened? Missed their target?!?? LITERALY?!???

Laughable.

No. What's laughable is how someone keeps coming back after having had his arguments demolished the first time around.

Really?!?! We're in the minority?!?!??!

iPhone sales - 10 million in two weeks.
Passport sales - rumoured at 1 million in two weeks.

You need to check your definition of minority.

And yet you keep coming back. Seems to have some relevancy to you.

Ah.....yes......from the curated list of positive articles that BlackBerry fanbois have compiled in order to use in their crusade to proselytize about the wonders of the Passport.

Here is something for you to think about....I DON'T NEED OTHERS TO TELL ME WHAT TO LIKE. You could quote Chen and Tim Allen and a whole team of sports figures and every Canadian and Briton you want to quote but the fact remains that I find that device to be a hideous abomination. Now....you like it. Go use it. NEWSFLASH: I.WON'T.BUY.ONE. Because I am done with BlackBerry. FINISHED. FINI. C'EST TOUTE. SE ACABO. KAPUT. ZIP.

Hope I got that point across.

Last edited:

anon3230140

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Actually, I read many BlackBerry fanbois ridicule the Note series and the larger Android devices. And now they're touting a device so large that it's impossible to use one handed which was one of their big must haves. Also, if we're going to discuss who laughed at what's, there is an article floating around if what Mike L and Jim B said about the iPhone. Guess maybe they shouldn't have laughed.

Oh goody. They did it first with the Z30 and the Z10. Fantastic. How many did those sell? The ones that had to be written down? Oh they also did it first with the Storm which was the "iPhone killer." What happened? Missed their target?!?? LITERALY?!???

No. What's laughable is how someone keeps coming back after having had his arguments demolished the first time around.

Really?!?! We're in the minority?!?!??!

iPhone sales - 10 million in two weeks.
Passport sales - rumoured at 1 million in two weeks.

You need to check your definition of minority.

And yet you keep coming back. Seems to have some relevancy to you.

Ah.....yes......from the curated list of positive articles that BlackBerry fanbois have compiled in order to use in their crusade to proselytize about the wonders of the Passport.

Here is something for you to think about....I DON'T NEED OTHERS TO TELL ME WHAT TO LIKE. You could quote Chen and Tim Allen and a whole team of sports figures and every Canadian and Briton you want to quote but the fact remains that I find that device to be a hideous abomination. Now....you like it. Go use it. NEWSFLASH: I.WON'T.BUY.ONE. Because I am done with BlackBerry. FINISHED. FINI. C'EST TOUTE. SE ACABO. KAPUT. ZIP.

Hope I got that point across.

Smh.. another unnecessary long rant with myopic opinions being mistaken as valid debate. Lol

Demolished who and what? In which world? Is this phone business that important to you Ms iMore Ambassador? I laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice