Apple User Thoughts On BlackBerry Passport

Status
Not open for further replies.

si001

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I'll be shopping for mine tomorrow. To each the toy that makes you happy ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
It's just not a consumer device coming from what seems to be a non-consumer company now. They're not aiming this at current users from other platforms.

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
It's just not a consumer device coming from what seems to be a non-consumer company now. They're not aiming this at current users from other platforms.

To be fair though, most over at CrackBerry supposedly see their device as work devices. You hear "tool", "productivity" and "work" more often than "enjoy" or "fun" or "gorgeous." At least in my experience at CrackBerry. I've never understood how the hub made you more productive or how their version of tabs was better than any other platform. I guess when you have basically zero apps to enjoy you have to tout something, right? To each their own

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I've been a long time fan of BlackBerry. It's been hard watching their slow decline. I keep hoping they'd get their act together and make a comeback. The Z30 was the best thing BlackBerry had going for them... Looks like they abandoned that whole "touchscreen fad" and doubled down on physical keyboards... Since it has worked so well for them in recent years.

The Passport is hideous. I literally wouldn't buy that phone for more than $100... because you can get a used Z10 for little more than $100, and I would much rather have a Z10 or Q10.

BBFunGuy

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
If they end up selling them for ?150 direct from their site like they did the Z10, I may buy two. One as a main driver( lol), and the other to sandwich bent phones between. Something tells me there will be no bargains to be had though. :(

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Can't stand the square corners for one, haven't tried BlackBerry OS in a few years so I can't comment on that.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

falconeight

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I am a long time blackberry hater but have used the z10 and thought the os had potential.

This passport thing is the worse phone ever invented. Its said to be good at email and spreadsheets. How boring is that, even for a work phone? Its like the Toyota Prius of smartphones. Sure it gets great gas mileage but thats its only positive. It looks like dog poo, drives like dog poo, has no room, and the soul of a jelly fish. This phone makes me feel sorry for anyone who is forced to use it. If you are a person who likes square phones, email only, and like making spreadsheets on a 4.5 inch screen then I understand but if you aren't that person, then don't do it.

I can't imagine watching a movie on it, playing an app, or rotating the screen to see the same thing. I don't want to be friends with the person suffering from depression that owns this phone.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I am a long time blackberry hater but have used the z10 and thought the os had potential.

This passport thing is the worse phone ever invented. Its said to be good at email and spreadsheets. How boring is that, even for a work phone? Its like the Toyota Prius of smartphones. Sure it gets great gas mileage but thats its only positive. It looks like dog poo, drives like dog poo, has no room, and the soul of a jelly fish. This phone makes me feel sorry for anyone who is forced to use it. If you are a person who likes square phones, email only, and like making spreadsheets on a 4.5 inch screen then I understand but if you aren't that person, then don't do it.

I can't imagine watching a movie on it, playing an app, or rotating the screen to see the same thing. I don't want to be friends with the person suffering from depression that owns this phone.

Totally agree. The Passport is trying to be the best at productivity... and it may very well turn out to be... But will it be so much better, that it justifies possibly being so bad at everything else people have come to expect from a smartphone in this age?

The Passport seems to offer a bunch of features that I don't feel anyone was asking for. 1:1 aspect ratio screen? Amazon apps in place of native BB apps? The strangest physical keyboard I've seen in years, which functions as a virtual track pad... A form factor just as wide as the ridiculously large Xperia Z Ultra super phablet.

Seriously, BlackBerry should have followed up the Z30 with another touchscreen device. Copy some practical features from other devices, like the active notifications and always-on voice control from the Moto X... Maybe the build quality as well, with metal and leather or wood. Something luxurious. A form factor that looks modern and sleek. Maybe a truly color accurate 5" screen with super thin bezels, so it would be smaller than a LG G3 or Galaxy S5. Maybe do something new and amazing with power management and give us the first 4G smartphone with battery life like an old Nokia. 5 days between charges. Put in a huge amount of storage, like 128gb standard, to store all your files and spreadsheets and presentations and whatever, plus SD card expansion. Swappable battery, or optional extended battery. give us something along those lines, or as close to it, for around $500 all in...

Of all the recent Blackberry devices... The Z30 was the closest to luring me back from Apple and Android... Some more polishing with their touchscreen devices, and they could be a real contender.

Last edited:

falconeight

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Totally agree. The Passport is trying to be the best at productivity... and it may very well turn out to be... But will it be so much better, that it justifies possibly being so bad at everything else people have come to expect from a smartphone in this age?

The Passport seems to offer a bunch of features that I don't feel anyone was asking for. 1:1 aspect ratio screen? Amazon apps in place of native BB apps? The strangest physical keyboard I've seen in years, which functions as a virtual track pad... A form factor just as wide as the ridiculously large Xperia Z Ultra super phablet.

Seriously, BlackBerry should have followed up the Z30 with another touchscreen device. Copy some practical features from other devices, like the active notifications and always-on voice control from the Moto X... Maybe the build quality as well, with metal and leather or wood. Something luxurious. A form factor that looks modern and sleek. Maybe a truly color accurate 5" screen with super thin bezels, so it would be smaller than a LG G3 or Galaxy S5. Maybe do something new and amazing with power management and give us the first 4G smartphone with battery life like an old Nokia. 5 days between charges. Put in a huge amount of storage, like 128gb standard, to store all your files and spreadsheets and presentations and whatever, plus SD card expansion. Swappable battery, or optional extended battery. give us something along those lines, or as close to it, for around $500 all in...

Of all the recent Blackberry devices... The Z30 was the closest to luring me back from Apple and Android... Some more polishing with their touchscreen devices, and they could be a real contender.

I actually tried the z10 and liked the OS. It did need some serious updates but is probably the best OS out right now. Once you got into the apps and deep into the system it was terrible. Having amazon android apps makes it even worse. They all don't work right or smooth. This passbook has to be the worse idea since the Pontiac Aztec.

Issa-7

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
It might be worth buying just to make haters froth at the mouth.

you can buy that and people will say its ugly its free for them to say that and they will forget that moment as soon as they walk away and they continue to have a good day while you it cost you money to get the passport and you will never forget that moment when people say its ugly and you will ranting on the crackberry.com all year long about how people hate blackberry

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
It might be worth buying just to make haters froth at the mouth.

You want to waste your money on that POS, be my guest. No frothing here. Just a lot of pointing and laughing.

Besides, every one you buy means lass trash in the landfill - at least for now.

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Hey!

I'm just wondering, from Apple-user perspectives, what you all think about the BlackBerry Passport with BlackBerry 10.3 (coupled with Amazon App Store).

I thought it looked ugly, at first, but now seeing the photos of it in-hand, it looks great!

I also used to have some minor issues with app selection on BlackBerry World. Now Amazon App Store is available, which has everything else I could possibly need.

If you like it, why? If you don't, why not?
What makes you want to buy this device? What makes you want to steer clear of this device? (and please don't say something like 'because it's a BlackBerry')

I'm not trying to cause arguments, as I am genuinely interested!

Me? I like the big wide screen with real high ppi. I also really love the squared-off design. The touch-sensitive keyboard is also very intriguing.

I'm using an iPhone 5c at the moment which I really enjoy! The apps are useful, consuming media is a pleasure with the big screen and iTunes makes ringing podcasts easy.

I don't like the look of the passport, but I will be switching back to BlackBerry next month. I always go for function over form and I really enjoy BlackBerry OS and the details that make BlackBerry a great communication device. I like the specs the passport is sporting, the LED, the physical keyboard, the ability to access files without an intermediary, and some other BlackBerry specific features (hub, keyboard shortcuts, expandable memory,profiles, etc).

So, while I like ALOT of what Apple offers, I'll be going to a BlackBerry soon. If not the passport, then the Q20. The passport has superior specs though.

I prefer BlackBerry 10 OS to iOS by far. I switched from my 9930 to an iPhone mostly for apps. Now that BlackBerry has access to the Amazon App Store, the app gap is disappearing.

I do NOT like that the battery is built in. That a con for me. I like having a spare battery ready to swap out.

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Man, Blackberry's app woes just keep getting worse. It looks like the passport is blacklisted from accessing a ton of apps on the Amazon store, including some of the most popular apps available. Pretty bad when one of your main features is poorly running apps designed for a different platform, and even that doesn't work right.

Amazon Appstore & Passport: Unbelievable situation! - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

The title is a little alarmist. :) Looks like it's an issue being worked on.

Bla1ze:
"FWIW, I reached out to BlackBerry to inquire about this after having confirmed it myself. They were unaware of any reasoning as to why this would be happening but they are now aware of it and are currently looking into it. If / when I hear from them I will update you all here.

One thing to note that's important and COULD be relevant here is the fact that Amazon is working with BlackBerry to ensure apps run correctly, so there is a GOOD chance that some apps are just being adjusted and will return once they've passed testing. That however, is not an 'official' response, just me thinking out loud knowing how things are actually being handled from previous discussions with BlackBerry.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer than that right now but I am looking into it and have even offered my own assistance to BlackBerry to further troubleshoot it / find the root cause of it. I don't think it's a HUGE conspiracy theory or anything like that lol. There is legit reasons that it could be happening, so hopefully we'll get to the bottom of it."

BBFunGuy

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
you can buy that and people will say its ugly its free for them to say that and they will forget that moment as soon as they walk away and they continue to have a good day while you it cost you money to get the passport and you will never forget that moment when people say its ugly and you will ranting on the crackberry.com all year long about how people hate blackberry

No, I get a kick over hearing your opinions.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
The title is a little alarmist. :) Looks like it's an issue being worked on.

Doesn't mean it will be fixed. Regardless, it's still another huge black eye for Blackberry who were counting on Amazon to try and solve some of their app problems. You'd think they'd look into something like this before launching their new flagship, I guess someone was asleep at the wheel again.

BB isn't fooling most people anyway, Android apps are a very poor experience on Blackberry. Doubly so on the Q and Passport with their ridiculous square screens. If I want Android apps, there are a ton of Android devices out there that could fit any niche I could possibly desire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods