Apple User Thoughts On BlackBerry Passport

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Ugly and unwieldy IMO.
I also have very little interest in physical keyboards anymore, especially with how good touchscreen keyboards have become. I can type faster and more accurate with swype than I ever could on a physical keyboard.

If I did for some reason need a physical keyboard, the Blackberry classic would probably be the phone I looked at. The dedicated function buttons are something I don't think BB should have ever gotten rid of.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think it's just an awfully ugly device, and the keyboard REALLY gets me. It's straight off a sh!tty slider basic phone from 2010...the space bar is in the row of keys. That design died for a reason. And plus, when typing, all the symbols and everything else shows up on the touchscreen, taking up more real estate. I think it's just an overall ugly design, and I also think it looks cheesy.

I'm active on CrackBerry, and it seems like the only group of people who are loving it is the same delusional group that...well...you need to be on CrackBerry to get what I'm saying...

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes actually a gold one. After a month I gave it to my mom as a trade of so I could use her iMac for school. Kept my RdMini though. Love this thing. I think It was the natural replacement to my supper trooper PlayBook. I am going to my buy my Ex's when he upgrade to the 6. The 6 will be the only iPhone I will not own.

The thing I don't understand about 64bit on a mobile device as underpowered as ours is the necessity behind it. Sure it's capable of "desktop class computing," theoretically, but what's the point. On my Q10 I can miracast a 1080 movie on to an HDTV AND PLAY real racing at the SAME time. 32bit computing on a mobile device is plenty enough. The technical requirement for these phone will ever only rarely if That, be used. Really like going run autocad off of my tiny phone. Your phone shouldn't be a computing hub of master technology thats pointless and irrational.

The idea is to lay down a road map and execute in it.

Are you really making a case AGAINST advancing in tech? If you are, review where Mike and Jim's myopic view led BlackBerry.

Thankfully Apple isn't doing that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD for iPad

lui22

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
The idea is to lay down a road map and execute in it.

Are you really making a case AGAINST advancing in tech? If you are, review where Mike and Jim's myopic view led BlackBerry.

Thankfully Apple isn't doing that.

I am actually and it's not for what reason you might think of. When the car was being first invented and later more popularly utilised over the horse drawn buggy, the an unnecessary commodity. The practicality of the the horse far out weight the first iterations of the self propelled car. As the car became more and more popular different vehicles had to be created to fit the many many activities that a single horse with a single carriage could do. For example a buggy could transport the entire family or the entire house with added and removed horsepowers. Or a horse could pull a family or could help plot the land. Ultimately now the internal combustion engine has been proven to be more powerful, less expensive, and more diverse. Which allowed more people to be able to afford to buy a self propelled vehicle. But you wouldn't use a Ferrari to pull a ski-jet would you? Well deadmau5 would but that's him. Nor would you enter a tractor to a speed race. Though you could do both with a horse.

Technology will always improve and diversify where it's predecessor couldn't, but that takes time. At the current state 64bit has no current real reason to be on mobile other than to be a entertaining feature. Until 64bit matures enough with enough practical applications, until someone innovates a reason for 64bit on mobile there is no need for it. Much like really other than novelty at its inception and with prospect in it future with self propelled vehicle had no reason to be.

I the mean time if something really needs to happen a reason would undoubtedly have to appear like with the first cellphones. Once the practicality was established the novelty wore off and it's utility began.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
That's reactionary thinking as opposed to innovative thinking. By that measure, we would remain in stasis.

I'm sorry. I feel diametrically opposed to simply reacting. The "I wonder what would happen if..." has driven progress, not the "is there a better way...."

It's the envelope that's pushed that gains momentum. By waiting we might still be using candles at night.

Sent from my beautiful Gold 64G iPhone 5s using iMore Forums

lui22

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
That's reactionary thinking as opposed to innovative thinking. By that measure, we would remain in stasis.

I'm sorry. I feel diametrically opposed to simply reacting. The "I wonder what would happen if..." has driven progress, not the "is there a better way...."

It's the envelope that's pushed that gains momentum. By waiting we might still be using candles at night.

Sent from my beautiful Gold 64G iPhone 5s using iMore Forums

That's the deviding wedge between what I believe apple is pushing and what I think is best for me. Look at the galaxy gear. Great idea and look what it spawned. I would have never bought the original gear ever. But the improvements made by moto and Samsung with the second generation gear and smart watch wear make the wait for me worth it

Sent from my Nexus 5 using iMore Forums mobile app

Last edited:

blackguard

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Hey!

I'm just wondering, from Apple-user perspectives, what you all think about the BlackBerry Passport with BlackBerry 10.3 (coupled with Amazon App Store).

I thought it looked ugly, at first, but now seeing the photos of it in-hand, it looks great!

I also used to have some minor issues with app selection on BlackBerry World. Now Amazon App Store is available, which has everything else I could possibly need.

If you like it, why? If you don't, why not?
What makes you want to buy this device? What makes you want to steer clear of this device? (and please don't say something like 'because it's a BlackBerry')

I'm not trying to cause arguments, as I am genuinely interested!

Me? I like the big wide screen with real high ppi. I also really love the squared-off design. The touch-sensitive keyboard is also very intriguing.

I kind of wish you had explained to everyone what the purpose of the PP is (lol see what I did there?)
Because the responses might have been more on target, rather than all of the replies from people who think this is intended as a consumer product. It can be, but it's not. This is a business device and in that regard I see it as a pretty bold and potentially smart move from BB. If BB wasn't in 4th place in the mobile market this would probably be a foolish risk. But they are, and they need to do something bold to stand out, so maybe this is it.
It's screen size and shape are much better suited than traditional rectangular phones - even phablets - for viewing and editing large business documents along with the physical keyboard. And no need to carry around a tablet+phone combo. I'll never get one, but I don't do that kind of work.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
That's the deviding wedge between what I believe apple is pushing and what I think is best for me. Look at the galaxy gear. Great idea and look what it spawned. I would have never bought the original gear ever. But the improvements made by moto and Samsung with the second generation gear and smart watch wear make the wait for me worth it

Sent from my Nexus 5 using iMore Forums mobile app

I'm sorry but I'm afraid that I'm lost here.

Samsung didn't react, they pushed by making HUGE devices. In the same way, Apple is pushing with their 64 bit, they didn't react either.

lui22

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry but I'm afraid that I'm lost here.

Samsung didn't react, they pushed by making HUGE devices. In the same way, Apple is pushing with their 64 bit, they didn't react either.

I think we are on two different pages I'm afraid. We started off on the same one and we both took it a completely different direction ha ha. Not to mention that when I speed type I tend to skip ahead and not type a few words that would make the idea more result.

My buying habits and a lot of evolution in technology are reactions to these big pushes buy other people. Apple with the original iPhone pushed the mobile industry so hard they had to react and now we have Siri vs Google now. Causation(Siri)=reaction(Google Now) Galaxy Gear-> Android Wear. Google wave=End of life. For me as a mobile technology user buying the first of anything or the newest of anything isn't going to give me the real full on next evolutionary step in the modern world. Currently like I've stated before 64bit is a novelty. There is no use. I'm not going to run autocad nor am I going to calculate the electron gravitational pull of a my index finger with my iPad. I will probably never go into space and document my journey there with a 64bit device because the notes app needs to be in 64 bit. But until those things and other smaller takes feasibly need 64bit and even though it maybe the future and the future could come tomorrow these pioneers in this new wave of technology are only that. A pioneer venturing out into the unknown.

My point is that Facebook doesn't need 64bit to run and I currently am going going to on a mobile platform run a complex Mathematical simulation anytime soon. Until then technology has to react to these pioneers and ones the reaction or reason for that reaction becomes valid what do we do in the mean time?

Frankly looking at the passport from an apple abUser prospective that passport is an interesting concept but really it's a novelty item.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Except that you're focusing on the here and now. I'm sure that you're aware that with tech, in iterative development, you lay an infrastructure upon which you build. The fact that you may not be running complex mathematical simulations doesn't mean no one is. To use FB as the totality of iOS functionality is disingenuous. Your use case is simply that-your use case. Apple builds with a vision ahead to what is possible beyond this iterative cycle. This is the reaaon its products integrate so well.

I don't need 64bit to run my day. But I am only one in several millions who use an iPhone 5s on iOS7. Apple builds for those who push forward. Frankly I would rather have that than to be so myopic as to view and hold the next great thing in tech in front of me and deny its existence.

I don't want a company that reacts. I want one that leads.

Sent from my GORGEOUS, AWESOME Gold 64G iPhone 5s via Tapatalk

lui22

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Except that you're focusing on the here and now. I'm sure that you're aware that with tech, in iterative development, you lay an infrastructure upon which you build. The fact that you may not be running complex mathematical simulations doesn't mean no one is. To use FB as the totality of iOS functionality is disingenuous. Your use case is simply that-your use case. Apple builds with a vision ahead to what is possible beyond this iterative cycle. This is the reaaon its products integrate so well.

I don't need 64bit to run my day. But I am only one in several millions who use an iPhone 5s on iOS7. Apple builds for those who push forward. Frankly I would rather have that than to be so myopic as to view and hold the next great thing in tech in front of me and deny its existence.

I don't want a company that reacts. I want one that leads.

Sent from my GORGEOUS, AWESOME Gold 64G iPhone 5s via Tapatalk

And that right there is where our two needs differ. I don't need the newest device that constantly is pushing the boundaries. It's nice to have it. That's one of the reasons I keep buying apple and blackberry products but not the main one. When the iPhone 5 came out it had it pushed no archaic boundaries that the mobile world had already put in place. It was just a genuinely good phone. And when the z10 did came out it was the same story. Blackberry didn't pioneer the gesture boundary Palm did and blackberry continued it. And it works just like the mon-haptic way that apple does tasks with a single button.

But when I need a device or a tool that has been proven to work it's fantastic that these companies are still producing them

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
And that right there is where our two needs differ. I don't need the newest device that constantly is pushing the boundaries. It's nice to have it. That's one of the reasons I keep buying apple and blackberry products but not the main one. When the iPhone 5 came out it had it pushed no archaic boundaries that the mobile world had already put in place. It was just a genuinely good phone. And when the z10 did came out it was the same story. Blackberry didn't pioneer the gesture boundary Palm did and blackberry continued it. And it works just like the mon-haptic way that apple does tasks with a single button.

But when I need a device or a tool that has been proven to work it's fantastic that these companies are still producing them

Blackberry producing new devices would always be good for the industry, but the problem lies in them not being able to earn enough to meet projections. And if they don't meet projections, they won't get enough revenue to keep making devices that could compete.

It's a tough situation in the industry for the third and fourth players...and not to mention, the numerous Android OEMs...

Hopefully the Blackberry Passport would bring them back to profitability, but I wouldn't bet on it. They lost too much mindshare at this point.

lui22

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Blackberry producing new devices would always be good for the industry, but the problem lies in them not being able to earn enough to meet projections. And if they don't meet projections, they won't get enough revenue to keep making devices that could compete.

It's a tough situation in the industry for the third and fourth players...and not to mention, the numerous Android OEMs...

Hopefully the Blackberry Passport would bring them back to profitability, but I wouldn't bet on it. They lost too much mindshare at this point.

And with their fantastic was of showing off their services I have to agree with you. Mind you I have my eye on classic over the passport because it works for me better

Ohleo

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
It is without a doubt going to be dope but I know what the 6 will deliver for years to come. My 4s is still delivering and has better performance (on average) than most Android phones currently have. Oh, and no iMessage? No bueno. Point. Blank. PERIOD.

I will watch in excitement though.

Smply_Rcklss

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
At first I thought "what the hell is that" but it's slowly growing on me. I have no intention on purchasing it but it definitely is interesting.

Tapatalk'n On The 5s

iglaze

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
ART is an AOT (ahead of time) compiler meaning that dex2oat runs once, during the initial installation of the app. Dalvik was a JIT (just in time) compiler that ran only as the app was called. In trade for a longer app installation time, ART frees up the processor later when the app is called. Additionally a new garbage collector and memory allocators will reduce the number and duration of pauses meaning ART provides better responsiveness and less power draw. But remember, the smaller memory footprint at runtime also means increased storage needs for the compiled binaries. ART will work with ARM, x86, and MIPS hardware and show definite improvement running floating point calculations.

So what changes to coding? Well, the good news is that ART is backward compatible, using the Dex (Dalvik executable) byte code format. So most apps should just run (and even run better).

BBFunGuy

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I have had my phone for two years, and think it will be another two years before it needs replacing, but I would have no qualms about buying a Passport, as far as how it looks, I recall my gran's advice when I complained about not having Nike trainers,'If it suits the wearer, bugger the starer, and never argue with an eejit.'

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I admire them for trying something new but ultimately, I don't think it will succeed. The Z10 was supposed to compete with the iPhone and the Z30 was supposed to compete with the larger displays. BlackBerry didn't bounce back then and it won't now. The Passport is too polarizing in looks and the software is the same. Plus, BlackBerry is now focusing on enterprise(queue tool/toy crackberry argument) and has 1)kicked native apps and it's a slap in the face to native developers and 2)Buggy android software that runs even SLOWER on BlackBerry hardware. What good is BB10 optimization now?

The way I see it, BlackBerry will continue circling the drain. The sales don't help to give any optimism either. I don't have that "itch" to try one out. The Z10 was my first and last BlackBerry device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh