Apple User Thoughts On BlackBerry Passport

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBFunGuy

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Well, in its favour, the money not spend on it, due to it being so ugly, can be spent on plastic surgery.

Last edited:

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
The blackberry Quasimodo.
By Quasimodo, For Quasimodo.

7ude8ype.jpg

One more reason the iPhone 5s trumps blackberry. ;)

lui22

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Wow is it WIDE. i seriously have certain reservations that it could fit comfortably in an execs pocket.
It's a very ugly looking device, especially in the last pic, when you look at it dead on , it's just painful to watch. Kinda reminds me of the hunchback of notre dome, Quasimodo. Lol, (perhaps somebody can photoshop him in instead of Chen).

But seriously, I don't have faith the company will survive, and I will not buy a phone that is DOA:

amazon app Store: Aren't all the new apps going to be using the fire phone kinect API? You know the 4 cameras that control the amazon phone that are not available on the passport. Those apps will not work on the Quasimodo.

Android apps: android is changing thier runtime to ART instead of dalvik; this is something bb 10.3 will not address.

Bb world: no more native apps, bb just threw what little developers they have left, under the bus. No need for them now that the App Store has been outsourced to amazon.

Lastly, Not 64bit in 2014 = obsolete.

I thought the same thing when the announcement came out with amazon. There is no more need for me to update and work on three platforms. Learning cascades for me was a waste of my time now that all i have to do is make sure my apps run on ARE. That being said, once you see the device in person It looks much more commanding than the Z10 did. The classic. IT LOOKS LIKE A RETRO SMART PHONE.

On the 64bit part, what good is it for if you can't use it? That would be like driving an Aventador at 20MPH for all of its life because no country has developed the roads for it to go any faster. 64bit IS UTTERLY USELESS right now

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
On the 64bit part, what good is it for if you can't use it? That would be like driving an Aventador at 20MPH for all of its life because no country has developed the roads for it to go any faster. 64bit IS UTTERLY USELESS right now

Can't use it hahahaha. Utterly useless???, you really are misinformed aren't you.

"iOS 7 will be 64-bit, just like the iPhone 5s' new A7 chip"

yse5ebat.jpg

"Apple also revealed that iOS 7 itself will be 64-bit. This means a native 64-bit kernel, along with 64-bit libraries and drivers. Accordingly, all of the native apps that come baked into iOS have been retooled to serve up faster performance "

The roads have already been built. And everyone with a 5s are on it.

Developers have been writing apps in 64 bit for a year now.

From apples developers website:

"About 64-Bit Cocoa Touch Apps

When desktop operating systems transitioned from 32-bit to 64-bit addressing, 64-bit apps were critical to the OS transition. Now, iOS is getting a similar desktop-class architecture. Starting with iOS 7 and the A7 processor, you can build iOS apps that take advantage of 64-bit processors. An app that supports 64-bit processing almost always gains improved performance when compared with a 32-bit app running on the same device."

https://developer.apple.com/library...ouch64BitGuide/Introduction/Introduction.html

Guaranteed performance increase is useless to you? Increased efficacy?

Oh right 64 bit is useless until the competitors feature it.
I remember a lot of posters downplaying multitouch and capacitive screens when the iPhone launched, touting the resistive touch screens and stylus as a more mature solution. Complete bs.

AgentHeracles

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
It is wide but As for it fitting in an exec's pocket: They use holster/cases. If it's any good - I will have to see personally. My last Blackberry was the Bold 9650(Tour 2). People say Blackberry's keyboards are great, well if they are so great then why did they change them to "suck"(getting smaller). The last Blackberry that had the keyboard that people wanted for me was the 8703e. I would like to also mention that I got an Asurion replacement for my Tour and the trackball was not stable - it fell down all the time.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The device looks okay in the second photo, in my opinion, but it looks huge in the others. I am curious to see how it actually looks outside of photos. Will I be getting the Blackberry Passport? No...:)

BBFunGuy

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Can't use it hahahaha. Utterly useless???, you really are misinformed aren't you.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/23/yse5ebat.jpg

"Apple also revealed that iOS 7 itself will be 64-bit. This means a native 64-bit kernel, along with 64-bit libraries and drivers. Accordingly, all of the native apps that come baked into iOS have been retooled to serve up faster performance "

When desktop operating systems transitioned from 32-bit to 64-bit addressing, 64-bit apps were critical to the OS transition. Now, iOS is getting a similar desktop-class architecture. Starting with iOS 7 and the A7 processor, you can build iOS apps that take advantage of 64-bit processors. An app that supports 64-bit processing almost always gains improved performance when compared with a 32-bit app running on the same device."

https://developer.apple.com/library...ouch64BitGuide/Introduction/Introduction.html

I remember a lot of posters downplaying multitouch and capacitive screens when the iPhone launched, touting the resistive touch screens and stylus as a more mature solution. Complete bs.

Do you even have a computer with 64-bit addressing?

agarwal.apar

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
IMO, Passport sucks. I don't know how JC approved this design? Classic is classy, I like that.

Sent from my Darth Vader black iPhone 5 using iMore Forums

lui22

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/23/yse5ebat.jpg

What is the point 64bit on an iPhone? To browse Facebook? To play games on a sub hd screen?

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
What is the point 64bit on an iPhone? To browse Facebook? To play games on a sub hd screen?

It would be stupid of Facebook to update there app to 64-bit. Not all apps need to be 64-bit

Sent from my 5th gen iPod touch (beta testing) or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

Efficiency, especially related to refreshing apps in the background. You know because it runs off a very finite battery. And with iOS 8 and the 64bit environment Touch ID will be coming to face book and other apps very shortly.

I watch 1080p off my iPhone when I airplay it to my tv, or use an Hdmi cable. Same can be said about games from iOS device to an hd television.

Lui do you have a 5s?

BBFunGuy

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
'When desktop operating systems transitioned from 32-bit to 64-bit addressing, 64-bit apps were critical to the OS transition.'

Because without them nobody would switch to 64bit, even though the experience would be virtually identical. What about the multi core element? In my experience the only advantage has been less chance of a system crash.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
'When desktop operating systems transitioned from 32-bit to 64-bit addressing, 64-bit apps were critical to the OS transition.'

Because without them nobody would switch to 64bit, even though the experience would be virtually identical. What about the multi core element? In my experience the only advantage has been less chance of a system crash.

Without what?

What are you trying to say?

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I will be getting the BlackBerry Passport. I thought I would get the Classic but I'm VERY interested in the Passport, based on those pictures.
About Android apps - no. I bought and will buy a BlackBerry and I will put native apps on it or I will use the browser. I want my apps to be supported by the developer and optimised for my device.
I've got an SGIII and that's where my Android apps live.
And of course, I'll be getting an iPhone 6.

Sent from my GORGEOUS, AWESOME Gold 64G iPhone 5s via Tapatalk

lui22

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Efficiency, especially related to refreshing apps in the background. You know because it runs off a very finite battery. And with iOS 8 and the 64bit environment Touch ID will be coming to face book and other apps very shortly.

I watch 1080p off my iPhone when I airplay it to my tv, or use an Hdmi cable. Same can be said about games from iOS device to an hd television.

Lui do you have a 5s?

Yes actually a gold one. After a month I gave it to my mom as a trade of so I could use her iMac for school. Kept my RdMini though. Love this thing. I think It was the natural replacement to my supper trooper PlayBook. I am going to my buy my Ex's when he upgrade to the 6. The 6 will be the only iPhone I will not own.

The thing I don't understand about 64bit on a mobile device as underpowered as ours is the necessity behind it. Sure it's capable of "desktop class computing," theoretically, but what's the point. On my Q10 I can miracast a 1080 movie on to an HDTV AND PLAY real racing at the SAME time. 32bit computing on a mobile device is plenty enough. The technical requirement for these phone will ever only rarely if That, be used. Really like going run autocad off of my tiny phone. Your phone shouldn't be a computing hub of master technology thats pointless and irrational.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Yes actually a gold one. After a month I gave it to my mom as a trade of so I could use her iMac for school. Kept my RdMini though. Love this thing. I think It was the natural replacement to my supper trooper PlayBook. I am going to my buy my Ex's when he upgrade to the 6. The 6 will be the only iPhone I will not own.

Let me stop you right here, you don't have one.
Which, in hindsight, makes complete sense.

The thing I don't understand about 64bit on a mobile device as underpowered as ours is the necessity behind it. Sure it's capable of "desktop class computing," theoretically, but what's the point.

You think the 5s is underpowered?
It's not. The q10, definitely.

I keep telling you: battery efficiency, Touch ID, and the m7 processor.

Just look at the s5, it's biometric implementation is rubbish, and won't get better. Well not with out a 64 bit processor and android L.

On my Q10 I can miracast a 1080 movie on to an HDTV AND PLAY real racing at the SAME time. 32bit computing on a mobile device is plenty enough.

People on iOS have been doing that since iOS 4.

How long will your battery last?
I guarantee you the iPhone 5s will outlast the q10 at mirroring a video AND playing a visually intensive game, it's what the a7 was made for.

Battery:
iPhone 5s: 1560 mah
Q10: 2200 mah

Screen:
4.0 LCD vs 3.1 amoled
Depth:

7.6mm vs 10.4mm

gagutu8y.jpg

Other than talk time and video playback the iPhone consistently beats the q10 battery. With a screen that is 26% larger, a battery that is 34% smaller and a frame that is 31% slimmer, ofcourse this is ALL POSSIBLE thanks to the a7 and it's 64 bit architecture.

How long can you even play need for speed on your q10?
2.2 hours, non stop?
I was being quite generous.

You can look up the q10 figures yourself,

The technical requirement for these phone will ever only rarely if That, be used. Really like going run autocad off of my tiny phone. Your phone shouldn't be a computing hub of master technology thats pointless and irrational.

I REPEAT: the same was said about multi touch and capacitive displays.

Pointless and irrational is what I call someone buying a blackberry, NOT a 64 bit mobile computing device, that comes with a 64 bit native ecosystem. In September with iOS 8 and metal, well life's unfair.

You enjoy your blackberry* now. ;)
*(I hope you didn't pay full price for it)

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
All I can say to this back and forth is:

If you want a BlackBerry Passport, get it. Who cares what anyone thinks? It's about what YOU want.

If you don't like it or want one, fine. Just don't waste all your energy trying to dissuade others.

Having the freedom to choose what device you want, that's a really great privilege. Let others enjoy that too.

This coming from a BB, Android and iPhone owner who previously had WebOS, Symbian, WP 8-8.1, and MIUI. ^_^

Live a little.

Sent from a larger than life device using Tapatalk!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal