Apple User Thoughts On BlackBerry Passport

Status
Not open for further replies.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
All I can say to this back and forth is:

If you want a BlackBerry Passport, get it. Who cares what anyone thinks? It's about what YOU want.

If you don't like it or want one, fine. Just don't waste all your energy trying to dissuade others.

Having the freedom to choose what device you want, that's a really great privilege. Let others enjoy that too.

This coming from a BB, Android and iPhone owner who previously had WebOS, Symbian, WP 8-8.1, and MIUI. ^_^

Live a little.

Sent from a larger than life device using Tapatalk!

Wasn't that the point of this thread?
"Apple User Thoughts On BlackBerry Passport"

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Let me stop you right here, you don't have one.
Which, in hindsight, makes complete sense.

You think the 5s is underpowered?
It's not. The q10, definitely.

I keep telling you: battery efficiency, Touch ID, and the m7 processor.

Just look at the s5, it's biometric implementation is rubbish, and won't get better. Well not with out a 64 bit processor and android L.

People on iOS have been doing that since iOS 4.

How long will your battery last?
I guarantee you the iPhone 5s will outlast the q10 at mirroring a video AND playing a visually intensive game, it's what the a7 was made for.

Battery:
iPhone 5s: 1560 mah
Q10: 2200 mah

Screen:
4.0 LCD vs 3.1 amoled
Depth:

7.6mm vs 10.4mm

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/28/gagutu8y.jpg

Other than talk time and video playback the iPhone consistently beats the q10 battery. With a screen that is 26% larger, a battery that is 34% smaller and a frame that is 31% slimmer, ofcourse this is ALL POSSIBLE thanks to the a7 and it's 64 bit architecture.

How long can you even play need for speed on your q10?
2.2 hours, non stop?
I was being quite generous.

You can look up the q10 figures yourself,

I REPEAT: the same was said about multi touch and capacitive displays.

Pointless and irrational is what I call someone buying a blackberry, NOT a 64 bit mobile computing device, that comes with a 64 bit native ecosystem. In September with iOS 8 and metal, well life's unfair.

You enjoy your blackberry* now. ;)
*(I hope you didn't pay full price for it)

I like you, @FFR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

If you want a BlackBerry Passport, get it. Who cares what anyone thinks? It's about what YOU want.

If you don't like it or want one, fine. Just don't waste all your energy trying to dissuade others.

Having the freedom to choose what device you want, that's a really great privilege. Let others enjoy that too.

This coming from a BB, Android and iPhone owner who previously had WebOS, Symbian, WP 8-8.1, and MIUI. ^_^

Live a little.

THAT.WAS.BRILLIANT.

Thank you.

Sent from my GORGEOUS, AWESOME Gold 64G iPhone 5s via Tapatalk

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
That blackberry passport phone looks too flat in terms of design.

Sent from my iPhone 5S or 5th gen iPod Touch (beta testing) using Tapatalk

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
That blackberry passport phone looks too flat in terms of design.

Sent from my iPhone 5S or 5th gen iPod Touch (beta testing) using Tapatalk

You know, it's an acquired taste. When I first saw it I thought it was an abomination. Now, depending on price, I will get it. By that I mean I will get the iPhone 6 first. I will get the Passport at a later date once I've got the expendable cash. Unfortunately I believe it will be way overpriced, based on the Z10's and Q10's pricing at launch. I got my Q10 used, at 200 bucks, which was what I feel it was worth. Retail at 600 initially, absolutely not.

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Friendly reminder folks.........

P.U.P.P.A.H
(Be Polite, Understanding, Patient, Professional, Attentive and Helpful)

Be polite. We ask that you keep your language clean and polite.
Be understanding and patient. You may be a power user or developer, but the person you’re talking to on the other end may be a complete newbie. Be patient, and provide all details possible if you’re posting about a problem (descriptive thread title always helps).
Be a pro. Don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If someone responds in a poor or rude fashion, ignore it. If you notice a pattern of rude or poor behavior from a particular member, report them to our moderators. If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all. In a nutshell, ‘think before you post’.
Be attentive and helpful. Answer questions in a timely manner when you can, and provide thoughts and suggestions that might lead to the solution of a members’ problem.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
You know, it's an acquired taste. When I first saw it I thought it was an abomination. Now, depending on price, I will get it. By that I mean I will get the iPhone 6 first. I will get the Passport at a later date once I've got the expendable cash. Unfortunately I believe it will be way overpriced, based on the Z10's and Q10's pricing at launch. I got my Q10 used, at 200 bucks, which was what I feel it was worth. Retail at 600 initially, absolutely not.

Same here! If it's priced right, I'd love to try it out. It's different and kind of interesting. Wonder how it would fit in my hands though. Yeah $400 - $500 okay. $600+, no darn way!

Sent from Blue 32 using Tapatalk Pro.

lui22

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Same here! If it's priced right, I'd love to try it out. It's different and kind of interesting. Wonder how it would fit in my hands though. Yeah $400 - $500 okay. $600+, no darn way!

Sent from Blue 32 using Tapatalk Pro.

I just don't see myself owning a Passport. I like the 1:1 ratio and the screen resolution but based on the reports I wouldn't want it to have an LCD screen. The keyboard layout reminds me of my old HTC-Apache. Ergonomicaly speaking it may fit my ogre hands a bit better than the Q10 but unless the screen is made of diamond and the frame out of unbendible materials it might suffer from the same thing some people get when the get a Note.

agarwal.apar

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site

Live a little.

So true! Why fight when there's no time for love?

Sent from my Darth Vader black iPhone 5 using iMore Forums

Alex_Hong

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Here are my thoughts if anyone care.

I think the device could be interesting. The big screen with a physical keyboard could be a dream for heavy communicators, people who wants just one device to handle all their powerpoint, word, and excel needs. The capacitive touch keyboard (BlackBerry Passport will show there is a better way to accomplish more with its touch-enabled keyboard | CrackBerry.com) could be a very useful feature if done right. (Oh, and I posted an idea slightly over 2 years ago about implement the trackpad into the physical keyboard. lol. Would it be Worth it Keeping the Trackpad? - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com)

Looks wise, meh. It's not the prettiest thing, but it's not unbearable to look at either. Not a fan of huge phones, but i guess if your priority in a phone is productivity and communications, then looks doesn't really matter as much.

To me Amazon App Store is NOT a selling point. While Amazon App Store does have a good amount of apps (or at least the more popular ones), the apps are often not as up to date as the Play Store. This is like me going to a hospital with a deep cut that clearly requires stitches, but getting a band-aid instead. It might work for now, but not in the long run. Also the real unknown, is how Android apps will perform on Passport's hardware. On the Z10/Q10/Z30 hardware, Android apps performs noticeably slower. They are second class citizen on the platform compared to native apps. Furthermore, the inclusion of Amazon App Store, is basically telling whichever native devs left of BB10 to go develop Android apps instead. Develop on 1 platform, works on both.

So yeah, and I haven't even talked about their focus on enterprise rather than consumer market yet.

But that aside, i can see the BlackBerry Passport appealing to some users who places their focus on productivity and communications needs. The phone will probably be excellent at those tasks. BlackBerry 10's gestures are still a joy to use, BlackBerry Hub, the awesome file manager, etc. There are still plenty to like about BlackBerry 10, and plenty of advantages to use one.

Downside for me? I'm not a heavy app user, but I still have apps i need not on the platform. Particularly local banking apps, which I've been told be BlackBerry reps in my country that they are in talks with.... close to a year ago. And that is before they scaled back their operations in my country as well. Second will be the size.

I'm interested in trying one out, but will probably not get one.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I think the screen aspect ratio of the Passport will be a winner for me, because it allows for wide-screen movies with the accompaniment of a keyboard underneath. It will allow for trackpad style gestures while giving you a good landscape screen.

However, I'm more concerned with the lack of important apps on BlackBerry 10. In that regard it's really a long, hard road upwards.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I think the screen aspect ratio of the Passport will be a winner for me, because it allows for wide-screen movies with the accompaniment of a keyboard underneath. It will allow for trackpad style gestures while giving you a good landscape screen.

However, I'm more concerned with the lack of important apps on BlackBerry 10. In that regard it's really a long, hard road upwards.

I'm wondering how the Amazon/BlackBerry relationship is going to pan out. If they can make at least 99% of apps to work minus Google service ones, I think it would be okay.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm wondering how the Amazon/BlackBerry relationship is going to pan out. If they can make at least 99% of apps to work minus Google service ones, I think it would be okay.

I'm not a fan of that relationship. For one thing - will Android developers support apps on a device other than for the platform for which it was intended?

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm not a fan of that relationship. For one thing - will Android developers support apps on a device other than for the platform for which it was intended?

That's what I'm wondering. If they give good incentive to those developers, will they support us too? I think only time will tell but it's sadly appearing that our native developers are not given the incentive anymore. Hopefully they'll move to the Android development side and still be active in our community.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

Nope. Amazon devs are focused on amazons fire phone and tablet. They are not going to go out of their way for passport users.
Couple that with android replacing dalvik with art (64 bit :) and blackberry has a new app problem.

I remember posting on crackberry about the problems bb10 will face once android goes 64 bit. Lol, they said it wasn't going to happen, they gave excuse after excuse, something about 4 gb of ram.
My post was deleted and one of the mods gave me an infraction, oh well no skin of my back :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2