You know, it's an acquired taste. When I first saw it I thought it was an abomination. Now, depending on price, I will get it. By that I mean I will get the iPhone 6 first. I will get the Passport at a later date once I've got the expendable cash. Unfortunately I believe it will be way overpriced, based on the Z10's and Q10's pricing at launch. I got my Q10 used, at 200 bucks, which was what I feel it was worth. Retail at 600 initially, absolutely not.

Sent from my GORGEOUS, AWESOME Gold 64G iPhone 5s via Tapatalk
    Same here! If it's priced right, I'd love to try it out. It's different and kind of interesting. Wonder how it would fit in my hands though. Yeah $400 - $500 okay. $600+, no darn way!

Sent from Blue 32 using Tapatalk Pro.
    06-28-2014 11:09 AM
    I like you, @FFR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you.
    the_tech_eater likes this.
    06-28-2014 11:20 AM
    Same here! If it's priced right, I'd love to try it out. It's different and kind of interesting. Wonder how it would fit in my hands though. Yeah $400 - $500 okay. $600+, no darn way!

Sent from Blue 32 using Tapatalk Pro.
    I just don't see myself owning a Passport. I like the 1:1 ratio and the screen resolution but based on the reports I wouldn't want it to have an LCD screen. The keyboard layout reminds me of my old HTC-Apache. Ergonomicaly speaking it may fit my ogre hands a bit better than the Q10 but unless the screen is made of diamond and the frame out of unbendible materials it might suffer from the same thing some people get when the get a Note.
    06-28-2014 01:24 PM
    All I can say to this back and forth is:

If you want a BlackBerry Passport, get it. Who cares what anyone thinks? It's about what YOU want.

If you don't like it or want one, fine. Just don't waste all your energy trying to dissuade others.

Having the freedom to choose what device you want, that's a really great privilege. Let others enjoy that too.

This coming from a BB, Android and iPhone owner who previously had WebOS, Symbian, WP 8-8.1, and MIUI. ^_^

Live a little.

Sent from a larger than life device using Tapatalk!
    So true! Why fight when there's no time for love?

Sent from my Darth Vader black iPhone 5 using iMore Forums
    06-28-2014 03:14 PM
    Here are my thoughts if anyone care.

I think the device could be interesting. The big screen with a physical keyboard could be a dream for heavy communicators, people who wants just one device to handle all their powerpoint, word, and excel needs. The capacitive touch keyboard (BlackBerry Passport will show there is a better way to accomplish more with its touch-enabled keyboard | CrackBerry.com) could be a very useful feature if done right. (Oh, and I posted an idea slightly over 2 years ago about implement the trackpad into the physical keyboard. lol. Would it be Worth it Keeping the Trackpad? - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com)

Looks wise, meh. It's not the prettiest thing, but it's not unbearable to look at either. Not a fan of huge phones, but i guess if your priority in a phone is productivity and communications, then looks doesn't really matter as much.

To me Amazon App Store is NOT a selling point. While Amazon App Store does have a good amount of apps (or at least the more popular ones), the apps are often not as up to date as the Play Store. This is like me going to a hospital with a deep cut that clearly requires stitches, but getting a band-aid instead. It might work for now, but not in the long run. Also the real unknown, is how Android apps will perform on Passport's hardware. On the Z10/Q10/Z30 hardware, Android apps performs noticeably slower. They are second class citizen on the platform compared to native apps. Furthermore, the inclusion of Amazon App Store, is basically telling whichever native devs left of BB10 to go develop Android apps instead. Develop on 1 platform, works on both.

So yeah, and I haven't even talked about their focus on enterprise rather than consumer market yet.

But that aside, i can see the BlackBerry Passport appealing to some users who places their focus on productivity and communications needs. The phone will probably be excellent at those tasks. BlackBerry 10's gestures are still a joy to use, BlackBerry Hub, the awesome file manager, etc. There are still plenty to like about BlackBerry 10, and plenty of advantages to use one.

Downside for me? I'm not a heavy app user, but I still have apps i need not on the platform. Particularly local banking apps, which I've been told be BlackBerry reps in my country that they are in talks with.... close to a year ago. And that is before they scaled back their operations in my country as well. Second will be the size.

I'm interested in trying one out, but will probably not get one.
    06-28-2014 03:55 PM
    I think the screen aspect ratio of the Passport will be a winner for me, because it allows for wide-screen movies with the accompaniment of a keyboard underneath. It will allow for trackpad style gestures while giving you a good landscape screen.

However, I'm more concerned with the lack of important apps on BlackBerry 10. In that regard it's really a long, hard road upwards.
    Chrisy likes this.
    06-29-2014 10:30 AM
    I think the screen aspect ratio of the Passport will be a winner for me, because it allows for wide-screen movies with the accompaniment of a keyboard underneath. It will allow for trackpad style gestures while giving you a good landscape screen.

However, I'm more concerned with the lack of important apps on BlackBerry 10. In that regard it's really a long, hard road upwards.
    I'm wondering how the Amazon/BlackBerry relationship is going to pan out. If they can make at least 99% of apps to work minus Google service ones, I think it would be okay.

06-29-2014 10:48 AM
    I'm wondering how the Amazon/BlackBerry relationship is going to pan out. If they can make at least 99% of apps to work minus Google service ones, I think it would be okay.

I'm not a fan of that relationship. For one thing - will Android developers support apps on a device other than for the platform for which it was intended?

06-29-2014 11:57 AM
    I'm not a fan of that relationship. For one thing - will Android developers support apps on a device other than for the platform for which it was intended?

That's what I'm wondering. If they give good incentive to those developers, will they support us too? I think only time will tell but it's sadly appearing that our native developers are not given the incentive anymore. Hopefully they'll move to the Android development side and still be active in our community.

06-29-2014 12:11 PM

Nope. Amazon devs are focused on amazons fire phone and tablet. They are not going to go out of their way for passport users.
    Couple that with android replacing dalvik with art (64 bit and blackberry has a new app problem.

I remember posting on crackberry about the problems bb10 will face once android goes 64 bit. Lol, they said it wasn't going to happen, they gave excuse after excuse, something about 4 gb of ram.
    My post was deleted and one of the mods gave me an infraction, oh well no skin of my back .
    06-29-2014 01:24 PM

How so?
    Its a 4.5 inch square display. With the black bars on top and beneath the movie, wouldn't the corresponding surface area equal just 2.25 inches (16:9 movie aspect ratio) of viewing real estate to enjoy the movie. Surprisingly small.
    Last edited by FFR; 06-29-2014 at 01:58 PM.
    Issa-7 likes this.
    06-29-2014 01:44 PM
    Nope. Amazon devs are focused on amazons fire phone and tablet. They are not going to go out of their way for passport users.
    Couple that with android replacing dalvik with art (64 bit and blackberry has a new app problem.

I remember posting on crackberry about the problems bb10 will face once android goes 64 bit. Lol, they said it wasn't going to happen, they gave excuse after excuse, something about 4 gb of ram.
    My post was deleted and one of the mods gave me an infraction, oh well no skin of my back .
    That's because on of the main reasons to upgrade to 64bit is to bypass the 4gig ram limit on 32bit systems.

It will be interesting to see that relationship evolve. I HIGHLY doubt that BlackBerry will have a substantial issue given the Android fragmentation issues that plague it. If Android does go 64bit, which I didn't remember it being announced at I/O, then BlackBerry won't have to deal with it for another 18 months or the next device cycle. Either way debs are going to have to build for both 32 and 64 or just 32 because 64 will support it either way.
    06-29-2014 05:28 PM
    How so?
    Its a 4.5 inch square display. With the black bars on top and beneath the movie, wouldn't the corresponding surface area equal just 2.25 inches (16:9 movie aspect ratio) of viewing real estate to enjoy the movie. Surprisingly small.

What you said was true, but what I meant is that for a traditional Blackberry paradigm, you are getting the best sized screen to go with a typical Blackberry keyboard experience: a screen with a non-slider keyboard underneath.
    06-29-2014 06:11 PM
    What you said was true, but what I meant is that for a traditional Blackberry paradigm, you are getting the best sized screen to go with a typical Blackberry keyboard experience: a screen with a non-slider keyboard underneath.
    There is nothing typical about the keyboard, blackberry or otherwise. That three row abomination, lacking the alt shift, punctuation, symbol keys or one handed use, that's not a functional keyboard, not by any standards, especially not Research in motion.

You surely mean "the RIM paradigm", yeah that's over.
    The blackberry experience was being hyper-connected; push email and bbm, those were RIM's USP, it was never about a physical keyboard (if anyone requires empirical proof, I welcome you to look at BB's financials, q4'13 and q2'14, I certainly have).

Push email was realized without the need of a bis/bes layer, and rim failing to capitalize on bbm's momentum, was replaced by whatsapp.

Rim is now dead, and I believe Chen is on track to find a buyer for blackberry by 2015 or blackberry's 2016 fiscal year, if a buyer can't be found...

According to Chen: in order to keep making hardware, blackberry will have to sell (as in recognizing revenue on) 8.4 million z3s, passports and classics in 2.6 quarters or by May 2015.

Pragmatically put, that's never going to happen.

And before anybody, brings up govt subscribers: at thier peak in 2012 rim had 1.4 million government subscribers, which fell to 1 million government subscribers in 2013.
    Speedygi likes this.
    06-30-2014 02:55 AM
    Dude.. what's your problem? People are just stating their views and all you're doing is trying to find some negative in it to knock their opinion and BlackBerry down. If you don't like it.. say it and move on. Your constant beefing is ridiculous.

There is nothing typical about the keyboard, blackberry or otherwise. That three row abomination, lacking the alt shift, punctuation, symbol keys or one handed use, that's not a functional keyboard, not by any standards, especially not Research in motion.

You surely mean "the RIM paradigm", yeah that's over.
    The blackberry experience was being hyper-connected; push email and bbm, those were RIM's USP, it was never about a physical keyboard (if anyone requires empirical proof, I welcome you to look at BB's financials, q4'13 and q2'14, I certainly have).

Push email was realized without the need of a bis/bes layer, and rim failing to capitalize on bbm's momentum, was replaced by whatsapp.

Rim is now dead, and I believe Chen is on track to find a buyer for blackberry by 2015 or blackberry's 2016 fiscal year, if a buyer can't be found...

According to Chen: in order to keep making hardware, blackberry will have to sell (as in recognizing revenue on) 8.4 million z3s, passports and classics in 2.6 quarters or by May 2015.

Pragmatically put, that's never going to happen.

And before anybody, brings up govt subscribers: at thier peak in 2012 rim had 1.4 million government subscribers, which fell to 1 million government subscribers in 2013.
    06-30-2014 06:53 AM
    Friendly reminder folks.........
    [INFO]
    P.U.P.P.A.H
    (Be Polite, Understanding, Patient, Professional, Attentive and Helpful)

• Be polite. We ask that you keep your language clean and polite.
    • Be understanding and patient. You may be a power user or developer, but the person you’re talking to on the other end may be a complete newbie. Be patient, and provide all details possible if you’re posting about a problem (descriptive thread title always helps).
    • Be a pro. Don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If someone responds in a poor or rude fashion, ignore it. If you notice a pattern of rude or poor behavior from a particular member, report them to our moderators. If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all. In a nutshell, ‘think before you post’.
    • Be attentive and helpful. Answer questions in a timely manner when you can, and provide thoughts and suggestions that might lead to the solution of a members’ problem.

[/INFO]
    donemt likes this.
    06-30-2014 08:14 AM
    Dude.. what's your problem?
    I don't have a problem.
    You do. I sincerely hope you can work it out

People are just stating their views and all you're doing is trying to find some negative in it to knock their opinion and BlackBerry down.
    So am I.
    This isn't crackberry.
    A mod isn't going to swoop in and help you obfuscate your point and award me an infraction for simply stating facts.

If you don't like it.. say it and move on. Your constant beefing is ridiculous.
    What I find ridiculous is you choosing to attack me instead of any of the points I made.
    Its difficult, isn't it when there is merit to an argument, and you can't do anything about it.
    it must feel helpless.

I hope you listen to your own words and move on; or debate my points if you disagree.
    its just I find it rather pathetic when people don't, it makes them look rather weak. Cheers

Ps: I used to love blackberry, had gold and platinum berries that I used to use as secondary and even sometimes tertiary devices, it would supplement my iOS experience on occasion with other platforms based on what I would be working on, have you tried tizen, sailfish, firefox? I have, I have event spent time with the blackphone; Im a Venture capitalist and have been working with iOS and android developers for a couple of years now.

What do you do?
    jdhooghe likes this.
    06-30-2014 09:24 AM
    Hmm. Ok. I have a wife and a mortgage to think about plus watching Outkast at the wireless festival this weekend though. Let me deal with those and i'll respond to your question later. Ta mate.

I don't have a problem.
    You do. I sincerely hope you can work it out

So am I.
    This isn't crackberry.
    A mod isn't going to swoop in and help you obfuscate your point and award me an infraction for simply stating facts.

What I find ridiculous is you choosing to attack me instead of any of the points I made.
    Its difficult, isn't it when there is merit to an argument, and you can't do anything about it.
    it must feel helpless.

I hope you listen to your own words and move on; or debate my points if you disagree.
    its just I find it rather pathetic when people don't, it makes them look rather weak. Cheers

Ps: I used to love blackberry, had gold and platinum berries that I used to use as secondary and even sometimes tertiary devices, it would supplement my iOS experience on occasion with other platforms based on what I would be working on, have you tried tizen, sailfish, firefox? I have, I have event spent time with the blackphone; Im a Venture capitalist and have been working with iOS and android developers for a couple of years now.

What do you do?
    06-30-2014 09:43 AM
    Mods can we close this thread we have, and I'm including myself, propagated answering one single members constant passive aggressiveness and deviated from the original topic.
    06-30-2014 02:08 PM
    Unfortunately when one debates from an emotional position instead of logic, the result is inescapable.

donemt and jdhooghe like this.
    06-30-2014 04:31 PM
    Hmm. Ok. I have a wife and a mortgage to think about plus watching Outkast at the wireless festival this weekend though. Let me deal with those and i'll respond to your question later. Ta mate.
    You do that.
    06-30-2014 04:36 PM
    Unfortunately when one debates from an emotional position instead of logic, the result is inescapable.

This is true.
    06-30-2014 05:04 PM
    That's because on of the main reasons to upgrade to 64bit is to bypass the 4gig ram limit on 32bit systems.
    Smh.
    Perhaps you missed post 39, I was replying to you.

Your understanding of 64 bit architecture is beyond elementary, please stop. .

It will be interesting to see that relationship evolve. I HIGHLY doubt that BlackBerry will have a substantial issue given the Android fragmentation issues that plague it. If Android does go 64bit, which I didn't remember it being announced at I/O, then BlackBerry won't have to deal with it for another 18 months or the next device cycle. Either way debs are going to have to build for both 32 and 64 or just 32 because 64 will support it either way.
    My god. You really are out of your depth, Aren't you.

Poor soul, your not going to enjoy the next three quarters in the tech sector, that I can guarantee you.
    06-30-2014 05:34 PM
    When it comes to the thing that's called an "Opinion", People need to realize this is not something to be taken personally. Just remember that it's okay to agree to disagree peacefully.

No one here is right, No one is wrong. How you feel is relevant to you. I understand this is an iPhone forum, So talk of a BlackBerry can easily stir up discontentment. However, We can't forget that this is a community with a wide base of device users from all walks of life. Me included.

You don't have to talk down to someone because you disagree with them. That doesn't make you bigger, Nor does it make your argument any more relevant to the people who read it. Treat others as you'd wish to be treated. ^_^
    taz323 and BlackBerry Guy like this.
    06-30-2014 06:12 PM
    ANNND for some reason, That Passport is growing on me... SO is the 4.7 inch iPhone.

I think I have a "Wanna buy a new device" bug growing in my guts.
    06-30-2014 06:14 PM
317 12345 ...