Apple engineers and bean-counters appear to have innovated their way into building a sub-$1000( with discounts) computer that is a piece of junk.

What you get:

Dual-core i5 clocked at 1.4GHz!
    Intel HD Graphics 5000!
    8GB RAM (soldered to the board)
    Unbearable smugness: TBA

Coming to a landfill near you soon!

Thoughts?
    06-20-2014 06:39 AM
    Thanks for the information, and no, I don't have any thoughts about it. However, I do have a question. Why are you calling it a "piece of junk"?
    BBFunGuy and boovish like this.
    06-20-2014 06:54 AM
    It is a Jobsism.
    06-20-2014 07:38 AM
    Hey I recognize you. Aren't you on CB?

On topic:

If it's junk to you, why bother discussing it? Do you own one? Is it giving you trouble? Do you think it's too expensive? What's the reason behind the underlying hatred?

Sent from a larger than life device using Tapatalk!
    kataran, the_tech_eater and lui22 like this.
    06-20-2014 07:40 AM
    I prefer to let people draw their own conclusions, rather than spoon-feed.

Off-topic: Pernicious aren't I!
    06-20-2014 08:12 AM
    Apple engineers and bean-counters appear to have innovated their way into building a sub-$1000( with discounts) computer that is a piece of junk.

What you get:

Dual-core i5 clocked at 1.4GHz!
    Intel HD Graphics 5000!
    8GB RAM (soldered to the board)
    Unbearable smugness: TBA

Coming to a landfill near you soon!

Thoughts?
    I prefer to let people draw their own conclusions, rather than spoon-feed.
    Interesting. First, you say "we" don’t know how to build a sub-$500 computer that isn't junk, then call a $1000 computer a piece of junk. Then after telling us the computer in question IS a "piece of junk", that you "prefer to let people draw their own conclusions".

Seems contradictory. Or at least confusing.
    the_tech_eater likes this.
    06-20-2014 10:41 AM
    I can see how you might come to that conclusion, and have not been confused by your post.
    06-20-2014 12:06 PM
    I can see how you might come to that conclusion, and have not been confused by your post.
    I think your a robot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    06-20-2014 12:08 PM

Sent from another beautiful blue using Tapatalk Pro.
    MERCDROID likes this.
    06-20-2014 12:35 PM
    I used to be on the I hate macs bandwagon. I was pretty heavily on it actually. Having received a free mac from my current job though, I'm content with it. I mean, I would likely pay for one if it had better Windows Phone support. You think it's a scam but honestly, I'd like to think that if I wanted the same software I get on my PC and didn't want to pirate it, I'd be paying roughly $700 for the software. Then, there's the software updates. Sure, microsoft gets a few free but when Windows 9 rolls out, I'll be shelling out $190 for the pro version (Or less on special, I'm sure.) Then, there's the support team. Have you ever tried sending something to Acer, Lenovo, or Dell? Don't even get me started on Samsung and the worst customer service in history. The track pad went out on my mac after a year of use. You know what they did? Rush delivered me a new one. Simple as that. That was amazing. You get what you pay for with mac. I still mostly use my PC but the mac price is justified.
    Algus likes this.
    06-20-2014 01:06 PM
    Right now, if I wanted a new computer I'd get a Mac. I love Windows PC's but I really hate 8. Unless they make 9 like 7, I'll never be moving up with them.

Samsung is horrible with their phone customer service. Quality control is a joke.

Dell, oh gee wiz. That manufacturer spits out so much junk it's hard to imagine myself going for it.

Lenovo makes some tough laptops. I'll give them that.

Acer, not bad but not my cup of tea.

HP, I like some of their stuff but sometimes they cut corners where they shouldn't. As for Compaq, that's the corner they should of cut.

Biggest thing I've noticed with Apple? They might not have the most trendiest hardware or software but they stand 100% behind their products.

lui22 likes this.
    06-20-2014 01:19 PM
    Right now, if I wanted a new computer I'd get a Mac. I love Windows PC's but I really hate 8. Unless they make 9 like 7, I'll never be moving up with them.

Samsung is horrible with their phone customer service. Quality control is a joke.

Dell, oh gee wiz. That manufacturer spits out so much junk it's hard to imagine myself going for it.

Lenovo makes some tough laptops. I'll give them that.

Acer, not bad but not my cup of tea.

HP, I like some of their stuff but sometimes they cut corners where they shouldn't. As for Compaq, that's the corner they should of cut.

Biggest thing I've noticed with Apple? They might not have the most trendiest hardware or software but they stand 100% behind their products.

Trendy is exactly what they are. :-p I love Windows 8 when I have touch screen but on my non-touch devices, I understand that it might be underwhelming. With the fact that I'm able to play games that haven't worked on a Windows PC since Windows 98, I'm willing to forgive that.

For the record, I adore Lenovo and Acer products but I hate their customer service.
    06-20-2014 01:27 PM
    Value to me is why I build my own windows computers. Plus with technet I have all of the software I need.

My current rig is going in six years, as it's a business expense it's paid for itself.

Getting a Mac would indeed be an expensive proposition.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app
    06-20-2014 01:40 PM
    Trendy is exactly what they are. :-p I love Windows 8 when I have touch screen but on my non-touch devices, I understand that it might be underwhelming. With the fact that I'm able to play games that haven't worked on a Windows PC since Windows 98, I'm willing to forgive that.

For the record, I adore Lenovo and Acer products but I hate their customer service.
    My issue is that they've changed the way drivers work in Windows 8. I have massively struggled with our work computer to make it compatible with all the hardware devices.

My problem with getting a Mac would be that it's too simple. Like my adjustment to having no back button on my iPhone. That took some work on my part.

06-20-2014 01:56 PM
    My issue is that they've changed the way drivers work in Windows 8. I have massively struggled with our work computer to make it compatible with all the hardware devices.

My problem with getting a Mac would be that it's too simple. Like my adjustment to having no back button on my iPhone. That took some work on my part.

That's one of my biggest complaints as well. I feel as though I could slam my face repeatedly into the keyboard and be productive but not as productive. I like macs. There's just a lot that they can't do... I think my biggest complaint is Safari... I need my IE.
    06-20-2014 02:11 PM
    That's one of my biggest complaints as well. I feel as though I could slam my face repeatedly into the keyboard and be productive but not as productive. I like macs. There's just a lot that they can't do... I think my biggest complaint is Safari... I need my IE.
    As in... Internet Explorer?!?

I use Chrome and Firefox myself.

06-20-2014 02:15 PM

Agreed. IE is a horrible security sinkhole, and should be avoided at all cost.
    06-20-2014 02:18 PM
    What can macs not do?!?

06-20-2014 02:24 PM

I refuse to use any Google service at all... Firefox has too serious of memory leaks.

I feel a lot of people are still dwelling on IE 6-9. I don't blame them. They were awful. The latest iterations though are amazing.
    06-20-2014 02:34 PM
    I refuse to use any Google service at all... Firefox has too serious of memory leaks.

I feel a lot of people are still dwelling on IE 6-9. I don't blame them. They were awful. The latest iterations though are amazing.
    Hey whatever works for you.

I just never have liked IE. Even newer iterations.

06-20-2014 02:37 PM

IE = Internet Exploder

And please enlighten us to these supposed memory leaks. I run a self built PC OS 7 with Firefox and never have a single issue with RAM.
    06-20-2014 08:32 PM
    What can macs not do?!?

I too would like to know.
    06-20-2014 09:33 PM
    Does Firefox still have memory leaks? lol that was an issue when I only had a piddly 512 MB of RAM. Did they decide to just not fix it once everyone started getting a gig+ of RAM in their system?

IE is much improved but Safari, Chrome, and Opera still come in above it for me. Actually, I'm quite fond of Dolphin, even if they are stealing my identity.
    06-20-2014 09:50 PM
    Does Firefox still have memory leaks? lol that was an issue when I only had a piddly 512 MB of RAM. Did they decide to just not fix it once everyone started getting a gig+ of RAM in their system?

IE is much improved but Safari, Chrome, and Opera still come in above it for me. Actually, I'm quite fond of Dolphin, even if they are stealing my identity.
    Now you have to enlighten me. How does Dolphin steal your identity? I've never used it so I'm genuinely curious.

And Firefox doesn't have memory leaks anymore as far as I know. It runs solid and fluid as far as I can see.

06-21-2014 12:39 PM
    It's an old controversy from a few years ago. Here's a news article on it from when it happened.

Basically Dolphin was forwarding all the websites you visited to a third party location in an unencrypted format. After they got called out on it they patched it pretty much right away.

Here is Android Central's take on it from when it happened as well
    06-21-2014 12:44 PM
35 12