We don't know how to build a sub-$500 computer that is not a piece of junk

mjs416

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I refuse to use any Google service at all... Firefox has too serious of memory leaks.

I feel a lot of people are still dwelling on IE 6-9. I don't blame them. They were awful. The latest iterations though are amazing.

IE = Internet Exploder

And please enlighten us to these supposed memory leaks. I run a self built PC OS 7 with Firefox and never have a single issue with RAM.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Does Firefox still have memory leaks? lol that was an issue when I only had a piddly 512 MB of RAM. Did they decide to just not fix it once everyone started getting a gig+ of RAM in their system?

IE is much improved but Safari, Chrome, and Opera still come in above it for me. Actually, I'm quite fond of Dolphin, even if they are stealing my identity.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Does Firefox still have memory leaks? lol that was an issue when I only had a piddly 512 MB of RAM. Did they decide to just not fix it once everyone started getting a gig+ of RAM in their system?

IE is much improved but Safari, Chrome, and Opera still come in above it for me. Actually, I'm quite fond of Dolphin, even if they are stealing my identity.

Now you have to enlighten me. How does Dolphin steal your identity? I've never used it so I'm genuinely curious.

And Firefox doesn't have memory leaks anymore as far as I know. It runs solid and fluid as far as I can see.

Sent from another beautiful blue using Tapatalk Pro.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
It's an old controversy from a few years ago. Here's a news article on it from when it happened.

Basically Dolphin was forwarding all the websites you visited to a third party location in an unencrypted format. After they got called out on it they patched it pretty much right away.

Here is Android Central's take on it from when it happened as well

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Right now, if I wanted a new computer I'd get a Mac. I love Windows PC's but I really hate 8. Unless they make 9 like 7, I'll never be moving up with them.

Samsung is horrible with their phone customer service. Quality control is a joke.

Dell, oh gee wiz. That manufacturer spits out so much junk it's hard to imagine myself going for it.

Lenovo makes some tough laptops. I'll give them that.

Acer, not bad but not my cup of tea.

HP, I like some of their stuff but sometimes they cut corners where they shouldn't. As for Compaq, that's the corner they should of cut.

Biggest thing I've noticed with Apple? They might not have the most trendiest hardware or software but they stand 100% behind their products.

I had to answer the same question 5 times for a rep from Samsung. Then they just say, "Thank you for the information. Please hold while I check your device information."

BBFunGuy

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Hate is a strong word to use here. Hate is derivative of fear.

Dell are releasing a similarly priced AIO PC, the Optiplex 3030.

Quad core i5 clocked at 3.3GHz
Radeon R5
Only 4 gigs of ram though.

lui22

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Listen ... The only people who hate Macs are the ones who can't afford them.

I wouldn't say so. I can't afford one and I love them. Im on the fence actually between a surface 3 or a macbook pro. Both cost me the same with my friends and family discounts on top of my edumacation discounts. Still can't afford either. The iMac I'm using is my mothers. Maybe If i stop buying every new Blackberry and iPhone ill be able to buy both.

BBFunGuy

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
My issue is that they've changed the way drivers work in Windows 8. I have massively struggled with our work computer to make it compatible with all the hardware devices.

My problem with getting a Mac would be that it's too simple. Like my adjustment to having no back button on my iPhone. That took some work on my part.

My experience of W8 and 8.1 has been that drivers are not a problem. I can clean install and everything works, not even a NIC driver was necessary, never mind chipset etc., so am curious to know what your problems were.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
My experience of W8 and 8.1 has been that drivers are not a problem. I can clean install and everything works, not even a NIC driver was necessary, never mind chipset etc., so am curious to know what your problems were.

It's a well known issue where the print spooler won't start automatically due to the dependencies conflicting with other programs/drivers.

That and getting legacy drivers. Running compatibility mode isn't hard, it's just hard to find!

Thank goodness I knew commands. If not for:

Services.msc
Regedit
C:/Windows/System32/Spool/PRINTERS
Devmgmt.msc

I'd have been struggling to find all these things. Windows 8 is a cluster of sheer confusion for me...

Add that to the dependency of Windows firewall and McAfee firewall. Had to remove McAfee and took me a while to figure out how to change the administrator on Windows Firewall to get it started again. 😩😱😣😖😒

Sent from a larger than life device using Tapatalk!

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't say so. I can't afford one and I love them. Im on the fence actually between a surface 3 or a macbook pro. Both cost me the same with my friends and family discounts on top of my edumacation discounts. Still can't afford either. The iMac I'm using is my mothers. Maybe If i stop buying every new Blackberry and iPhone ill be able to buy both.

Har har, it took me forever to work up the financial discipline to save for a Mac but it was so worth it! As a side effect, after getting a taste of how much more comforting having a bit of a nest egg was, I'm much better at saving money now then I was when I first got out of college.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice