We don't know how to build a sub-$500 computer that is not a piece of junk

BBFunGuy

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Apple engineers and bean-counters appear to have innovated their way into building a sub-$1000( with discounts) computer that is a piece of junk.

What you get:

Dual-core i5 clocked at 1.4GHz!
Intel HD Graphics 5000!
8GB RAM (soldered to the board)
Unbearable smugness: TBA

Coming to a landfill near you soon!

Thoughts?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the information, and no, I don't have any thoughts about it. However, I do have a question. Why are you calling it a "piece of junk"?

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Hey I recognize you. Aren't you on CB?

On topic:

If it's junk to you, why bother discussing it? Do you own one? Is it giving you trouble? Do you think it's too expensive? What's the reason behind the underlying hatred?

Sent from a larger than life device using Tapatalk!

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Apple engineers and bean-counters appear to have innovated their way into building a sub-$1000( with discounts) computer that is a piece of junk.

What you get:

Dual-core i5 clocked at 1.4GHz!
Intel HD Graphics 5000!
8GB RAM (soldered to the board)
Unbearable smugness: TBA

Coming to a landfill near you soon!

Thoughts?

I prefer to let people draw their own conclusions, rather than spoon-feed.

Interesting. First, you say "we" don’t know how to build a sub-$500 computer that isn't junk, then call a $1000 computer a piece of junk. Then after telling us the computer in question IS a "piece of junk", that you "prefer to let people draw their own conclusions".

Seems contradictory. Or at least confusing.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I can see how you might come to that conclusion, and have not been confused by your post.

y6ysarab.jpg

Sent from another beautiful blue using Tapatalk Pro.

z33dev33l

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I used to be on the I hate macs bandwagon. I was pretty heavily on it actually. Having received a free mac from my current job though, I'm content with it. I mean, I would likely pay for one if it had better Windows Phone support. You think it's a scam but honestly, I'd like to think that if I wanted the same software I get on my PC and didn't want to pirate it, I'd be paying roughly $700 for the software. Then, there's the software updates. Sure, microsoft gets a few free but when Windows 9 rolls out, I'll be shelling out $190 for the pro version (Or less on special, I'm sure.) Then, there's the support team. Have you ever tried sending something to Acer, Lenovo, or Dell? Don't even get me started on Samsung and the worst customer service in history. The track pad went out on my mac after a year of use. You know what they did? Rush delivered me a new one. Simple as that. That was amazing. You get what you pay for with mac. I still mostly use my PC but the mac price is justified.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Right now, if I wanted a new computer I'd get a Mac. I love Windows PC's but I really hate 8. Unless they make 9 like 7, I'll never be moving up with them.

Samsung is horrible with their phone customer service. Quality control is a joke.

Dell, oh gee wiz. That manufacturer spits out so much junk it's hard to imagine myself going for it.

Lenovo makes some tough laptops. I'll give them that.

Acer, not bad but not my cup of tea.

HP, I like some of their stuff but sometimes they cut corners where they shouldn't. As for Compaq, that's the corner they should of cut.

Biggest thing I've noticed with Apple? They might not have the most trendiest hardware or software but they stand 100% behind their products.

z33dev33l

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Right now, if I wanted a new computer I'd get a Mac. I love Windows PC's but I really hate 8. Unless they make 9 like 7, I'll never be moving up with them.

Samsung is horrible with their phone customer service. Quality control is a joke.

Dell, oh gee wiz. That manufacturer spits out so much junk it's hard to imagine myself going for it.

Lenovo makes some tough laptops. I'll give them that.

Acer, not bad but not my cup of tea.

HP, I like some of their stuff but sometimes they cut corners where they shouldn't. As for Compaq, that's the corner they should of cut.

Biggest thing I've noticed with Apple? They might not have the most trendiest hardware or software but they stand 100% behind their products.

Trendy is exactly what they are. :p I love Windows 8 when I have touch screen but on my non-touch devices, I understand that it might be underwhelming. With the fact that I'm able to play games that haven't worked on a Windows PC since Windows 98, I'm willing to forgive that.

For the record, I adore Lenovo and Acer products but I hate their customer service.

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Value to me is why I build my own windows computers. Plus with technet I have all of the software I need.

My current rig is going in six years, as it's a business expense it's paid for itself.

Getting a Mac would indeed be an expensive proposition.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Trendy is exactly what they are. :p I love Windows 8 when I have touch screen but on my non-touch devices, I understand that it might be underwhelming. With the fact that I'm able to play games that haven't worked on a Windows PC since Windows 98, I'm willing to forgive that.

For the record, I adore Lenovo and Acer products but I hate their customer service.

My issue is that they've changed the way drivers work in Windows 8. I have massively struggled with our work computer to make it compatible with all the hardware devices.

My problem with getting a Mac would be that it's too simple. Like my adjustment to having no back button on my iPhone. That took some work on my part.

z33dev33l

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My issue is that they've changed the way drivers work in Windows 8. I have massively struggled with our work computer to make it compatible with all the hardware devices.

My problem with getting a Mac would be that it's too simple. Like my adjustment to having no back button on my iPhone. That took some work on my part.

That's one of my biggest complaints as well. I feel as though I could slam my face repeatedly into the keyboard and be productive but not as productive. I like macs. There's just a lot that they can't do... I think my biggest complaint is Safari... I need my IE.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
That's one of my biggest complaints as well. I feel as though I could slam my face repeatedly into the keyboard and be productive but not as productive. I like macs. There's just a lot that they can't do... I think my biggest complaint is Safari... I need my IE.

As in... Internet Explorer?!?

I use Chrome and Firefox myself.

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site

What can macs not do?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

z33dev33l

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
As in... Internet Explorer?!?

I use Chrome and Firefox myself.

I refuse to use any Google service at all... Firefox has too serious of memory leaks.

I feel a lot of people are still dwelling on IE 6-9. I don't blame them. They were awful. The latest iterations though are amazing.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I refuse to use any Google service at all... Firefox has too serious of memory leaks.

I feel a lot of people are still dwelling on IE 6-9. I don't blame them. They were awful. The latest iterations though are amazing.

Hey whatever works for you.

I just never have liked IE. Even newer iterations.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox