It appears Apple is a good Listener

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
WWDC announcement of iOS 8 showcased a lot of wonderful features that the Apple Community has been asking for a while now.

Actionable Notifications was a top feature wanted by the masses as well as a recent taken full screen photos on the call screen that didn't sit well with a good sized portion of the iMore members that we polled. It seems from a reliable source that it's been reintroduced in Beta 2 which I welcome whole heartily.

It's refreshing to know that a company in this day and age takes the time to listen to it's customer base and bring real solutions to the ones that buy and use there products. I believe this will continue with the Hardware announcements in the coming months

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
WWDC announcement of iOS 8 showcased a lot of wonderful features that the Apple Community has been asking for a while now.

Actionable Notifications was a top feature wanted by the masses as well as a recent taken full screen photos on the call screen that didn't sit well with a good sized portion of the iMore members that we polled. It seems from a reliable source that it's been reintroduced in Beta 2 which I welcome whole heartily.

It's refreshing to know that a company in this day and age takes the time to listen to it's customer base and bring real solutions to the ones that buy and use there products. I believe this will continue with the Hardware announcements in the coming months

AMEN.....:)

Inkymycat

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
It would've be nice if Apple would listen more to there customers. The only reason maybe why they are listening now as people are leaving to go to other platforms. There are so many features I like on the android os but I have to much invested in my apple products as well as I like the apps better that apple has.

In ios 8 I would like to see the option of being able to edit the little bar below that has the airplane, wifi, Bluetooth, Do not disturb buttons and so on. Why isn't the privacy button on this little bar or some of the other options. With the android OS you can arrange the icons the way you like them. I've been emailing apple about this since ios 7. Just my two cents

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app

Jerry_

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Number of people have been asking for an arrow key on the keyboard to move the cursor (pointing to the good position with a finger is a PITA) since v5 (and probably before).

Still waiting for it ..

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Number of people have been asking for an arrow key on the keyboard to move the cursor (pointing to the good position with a finger is a PITA) since v5 (and probably before).

Still waiting for it ..

That wouldn't make any sense. Remember theses are touch screen devices, and the whole point of touch screen is to use as few dedicated buttons as possible.

Jerry_

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I've never found it uncomfortable to simple put my finger on my screen, and use the virtual magnifying glass to put my cursor where I want it.

I usually hit aside and then the magnifying glass is half hidden by your finger.

Others have also repeatedly complant about this.

The situation is worse on iPad than on iPhone.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I usually hit aside and then the magnifying glass is half hidden by your finger.

Others have also repeatedly complant about this.

The situation is worse on iPad than on iPhone.
I've never heard or seen anyone complain about that. I've never even thought of it as a problem of sorts. I've visited multiple iPhone and tech forums and tech news sites for several years, and yours is the first complaint I've seen about this. I reckon there's a first for everything. :)

Sent from from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I've never heard or seen anyone complain about that. I've never even thought of it as a problem of sorts. I've visited multiple iPhone and tech forums and tech news sites for several years, and yours is the first complaint I've seen about this. I reckon there's a first for everything. :)

Yeah I've never seen anyone complain about it either.

Jerry_

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
The advantage of all these forums is that they will keep postings for long, long time.

Just used the search feature on iMore with the keyword cursor and had a number of hits.
Ok, not all are about cursor navigation, but I pulled out a few which I am quoting hereafter. Didn't go to many, just a very basic collection, but - if interestec - you will find more without any problem.

A new keyboard design with Left/Right-Keys to set the cursor.

Would love to see arrows in the keyboard so I can place the cursor exactly where I need it instead of being a bit I hit or miss.

Is there a tweak that will give you a way to backspace your cursor/caret without deleting letters? (Maybe using volume buttons?) Sometimes I really miss being able to do that without doing a long press.

I too am VERY frustrated with this... On my IPad 2, I've typed up something (say in Facebook) and want to go back to the beginning of what I typed to change something, but I can't... So far, the only thing that I've been able to do is backspace all the way back to where I want to make the change and then retype... I have tried tapping the screen where I want to go, but it has not worked at all (either with my finger or even a stylus)... I saw the the magnifier thing folks have mentioned, but I was unable to do anything with that for making corrections either...

Maybe I'm too used to using my HTC EVO 4G and the fact there are cursor/arrow keys so that you can move around in your text?! I SO wish that Apple would improve their standard keyboard (especially since they won't allow anyone else to make the software to overwrite it)... I have seen improved keyboards in apps, but then I would have to open that app everytime I want to type, and then copy/paste into Facebook, or even in my mail...

Is it just me and I'm doing something wrong or are other folks having this issue as well?!?! :confused:

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Where would you put an arrow? The space bar is already too small. So which character or key would you sacrifice for a cursor arrow? Maybe with iOS 8 you'll find a keyboard with the cursor arrow, or something similar.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
This has absolutely been an issue for many users for many years; for me, one of the first tweaks I install after jailbreaking is always SwipeSelection, which lets you move the cursor and select text simply by swiping across your keyboard. It feels absolutely native (I'm non-jailbroken now on the iOS 8 beta, but still find myself trying to use SwipeSelection because it feels so right), and I'm really excited to see that the developer is actively looking into bringing it to iOS 8 now that Apple is allowing third-party keyboards.

Jerry_

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Where would you put an arrow? The space bar is already too small. So which character or key would you sacrifice for a cursor arrow? Maybe with iOS 8 you'll find a keyboard with the cursor arrow, or something similar.

Some apps (f.i. IAWriter) have introduced an extra row of keys to allow for arrow keys amongst others. This would be my way to go also for the standard keyboard.

Alternately:

Apple has allowed for a split keyboard which reduces the size of the buttons to leave a blank in the middle, so reduced keys should not be an issue to allow for a few extra keys.

If third party keyboards willl be supported by iOS, as mentioned by Massie, then we will very soon see such solutions if Apple doesn't introduce them.

cmajpwc

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
The only thing I would like to see is the magnifying glass appear below the line of text when the line of text you are trying to is at the top of the screen. If I make a mistake, it is almost impossible to figure out where the cursor is at the top of the screen. If the window appears below the text after a certain point on the screen, it will make it a lot easier.

I don't know if I'm the only one who notices this or wants this, but it would be nice.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Arrows would be cool. The android keyboards have them. Not sure were they would go but apple can figure it out.

Yeah my Android keyboard of choice, Swiftkey, has them so maybe Swiftkey for iOS will have them too once it goes live.

Personally though I am more than happy with using the screen magnifier as built in to the OS. i've been happy with it since 2007 and I reckon i'll be happy with it for years to come too.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Yeah my Android keyboard of choice, Swiftkey, has them so maybe Swiftkey for iOS will have them too once it goes live.

Personally though I am more than happy with using the screen magnifier as built in to the OS. i've been happy with it since 2007 and I reckon i'll be happy with it for years to come too.

I like Swype and Swiftkey as well. I'm excited that iOS 8 will be getting these this year.

I've also been extremely happy with the magnifying glass, it works well, never had a problem with it :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods