The iPhone may be late to features, but only Android users care

z33dev33l

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Apple didn't copy Motorola, they launched Touch ID, a completely different technology. Motorola's implementation never worked, so they abandoned it.

There was a totally functional fingerprint scanner on some Windows Mobile devices. Giving a biometric scanner a new name does not instantly make it something new and compelling. That's an Apple sales trick.

It's more like a comparison between a v8, a flat six, a rotary engine, and an electric engine.

Motorola screwed the pooch but there were phones before that did it excellently.

In regards to apple introducting a larger screen iPhone:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/19/4amytemy.jpg

They were already thier first back in the mid 90's, oh look do I see a stylus . Lol. :)

The Newton was anything but a phone. It was a PDA with the one added feature of decent handwriting recognition. Outside of that, it was like every other PDA on the market. Even that wasn't new tech, it was just the first time it was so portable.

Actually Steve stole that from Picasso, ;) But seriously you don't seem to understand it, and very few people in tech actually do.
It has to do with art history, it's the difference between aping and assimilating, between leading and following.

Apple leads the industry.
Do you disagree?

In what regard does Apple lead the industry? I'd argue that, at least in the last 5 years, Apple has stolen much more from other OEMs than they have stolen from Apple. The last real clincher was capacitive screen but then you have those half-wits at Samsung trying to make a fingerprint scanner which was just sad...

In regards to competition, it's an illusion.
Just look at all the incumbents for proof. They are all gone.

Good luck with the iPhone 6.

Funny... Apple is behind in pretty much every market and even Windows Phone is beating it in a plethora of countries.

z33dev33l

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Phone first??
What devices, consumer or otherwise, could I purchase before the iPhone, that featured multi touch?

What would you consider innovative?

Regarding yesterday's technology and improvements, Replacing a horse with an engine fits your description pretty well as being "meh" and not very innovative.

I mean they had a steam engine and a cart anybody can put them together. Lol :)

Regarding other advances in hardware, how about 64 bit MOBILE COMPUTING???
Or how about a FUNCTIONING fingerprint scanner (capacitive or otherwise), on a mobile phone no less.

Like I said, Apple did multi-touch first... That was the last real clincher. Of course I'm not arguing for Android, they're constantly stealing ideas wherever they can get them but Apple took from Windows Phone even in it's infancy. Windows Phone does very much the same thing, takes an idea and improves upon it. Siri was the first decent voice assistant? Google tried to copy and had more features but you were left with a monotonous and dull experience, Windows Phone has the personality, the voice actress from HALO and pretty much all the features of Google Now. It did it best. In that scenario, is Siri the horse-drawn buggy because everyone does this and this is the comparison I speak of.

64 bit mobile computing is nice and all but all it really adds for us is faster processing of images. Perhaps with some of the APIs we now have access to there will be some more profound utilization but at present, there really isn't any and it's been proven that ARM chips will play just as nicely.

cbobb123

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Apple didn't copy Motorola, they launched Touch ID, a completely different technology. Motorola's implementation never worked, so they abandoned it.

It's more like a comparison between a v8, a flat six, a rotary engine, and an electric engine.

In regards to apple introducting a larger screen iPhone:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/19/4amytemy.jpg

They were already thier first back in the mid 90's, oh look do I see a stylus . Lol. :)

Actually Steve stole that from Picasso, ;) But seriously you don't seem to understand it, and very few people in tech actually do.
It has to do with art history, it's the difference between aping and assimilating, between leading and following.

Apple leads the industry.
Do you disagree?

In regards to competition, it's an illusion.
Just look at all the incumbents for proof. They are all gone.

Good luck with the iPhone 6.

1. If you read my previous post then you'll see that I never said that Apple copied Motorola. Quite the opposite actually.

2. What an immature thing to say lol. I was talking about phones in the smartphone era; not some crap made in the 90's. It's like saying every mobile phone made after Motorola in 1973 was a copy. I could also say that the first phone with a big screen and stylus didn't work properly back then but when Samsung introduced it in 2011, they made it work and now apple wants piece of that cake by making a 5.5 inch model. Another example could be Apple made the iPad so Android followed this trend. But when Google made the Nexus 7 in 2012, Apple introduced the iPad mini shortly after. See how it works both ways?

3. 80% market share?(although most from cheap droids)

4. I guess we're never going to see eye-to-eye so can we just agree to disagree?

Sent from my Nexus 5

z33dev33l

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
1. If you read my previous post then you'll see that I never said that Apple copied Motorola. Quite the opposite actually.

2. What an immature thing to say lol. I was talking about phones in the smartphone era; not some crap made in the 90's. It's like saying every mobile phone made after Motorola in 1973 was a copy. I could also say that the first phone with a big screen and stylus didn't work properly back then but when Samsung introduced it in 2011, they made it work and now apple wants piece of that cake by making a 5.5 inch model. Another example could be Apple made the iPad so Android followed this trend. But when Google made the Nexus 7 in 2012, Apple introduced the iPad mini shortly after. See how it works both ways?

4. I guess we're never going to see eye-to-eye so can we just agree to disagree?

Sent from my Nexus 5

Actually, the Dell Streak was released before the Note and had an optional stylus.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
There was a totally functional fingerprint scanner on some Windows Mobile devices. Giving a biometric scanner a new name does not instantly make it something new and compelling. That's an Apple sales trick.

Motorola screwed the pooch but there were phones before that did it excellently.

The Newton was anything but a phone. It was a PDA with the one added feature of decent handwriting recognition. Outside of that, it was like every other PDA on the market. Even that wasn't new tech, it was just the first time it was so portable.

In what regard does Apple lead the industry? I'd argue that, at least in the last 5 years, Apple has stolen much more from other OEMs than they have stolen from Apple. The last real clincher was capacitive screen but then you have those half-wits at Samsung trying to make a fingerprint scanner which was just sad...

Funny... Apple is behind in pretty much every market and even Windows Phone is beating it in a plethora of countries.

BS my h5500 fingerprint scanner never worked, neither did the one on my sony laptop.

Actually there wasn't a functional one, care to give some examples? How about utilizing apples capacitive implementation, just one example.

You do also realize apple did more than name it Touch ID, it's built directly into the OS. Never been done before. Even the tech used to read your fingerprint and store data is different from all past implementations. It's like your comparing the iPhone to a soda can because they are both made out of aluminum.

It was a gimmick for Motorola, it's a platform on iOS. If you don't understand the distinction...

The newton had a modem option in 1993!you could fax and email it just wasn't Wireless.it also featured a 6 inch display and a stylus.
"it was like every other..."

Please show me a competitor to the newton back in '93, losing credibility here zee.

Yeah Samsung. lol. They told me I was holding it wrong when I demoed the s5 at mwc.

Apple leads in profits, developers, app library l ( both quailty and size), customer service, customer satisfaction, customer retention. iTunes etc. etc etc.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Like I said, Apple did multi-touch first... That was the last real clincher. Of course I'm not arguing for Android, they're constantly stealing ideas wherever they can get them but Apple took from Windows Phone even in it's infancy. Windows Phone does very much the same thing, takes an idea and improves upon it. Siri was the first decent voice assistant? Google tried to copy and had more features but you were left with a monotonous and dull experience, Windows Phone has the personality, the voice actress from HALO and pretty much all the features of Google Now. It did it best. In that scenario, is Siri the horse-drawn buggy because everyone does this and this is the comparison I speak of.

64 bit mobile computing is nice and all but all it really adds for us is faster processing of images. Perhaps with some of the APIs we now have access to there will be some more profound utilization but at present, there really isn't any and it's been proven that ARM chips will play just as nicely.

lol you sound like that Qualcomm vp moron.
64 bit is the future and I guarantee you will hear google speak about it at length next week.
I'm not even going to compare iOS to wp.

z33dev33l

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
BS my h5500 fingerprint scanner never worked, neither did the one on my sony laptop.

Actually there wasn't a functional one, care to give some examples? How about utilizing apples capacitive implementation, just one example.

You do also realize apple did more than name it Touch ID, it's built directly into the OS. Never been done before. Even the tech used to read your fingerprint and store data is different from all past implementations. It's like your comparing the iPhone to a soda can because they are both made out of aluminum.
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/WX310J
First to use it as part of the OS back in 2006 but I had a touchscreen WinMo device in 2008 that did the same. I could actually lock and unlock different parts of the phone with fingerprints or secure lock documents, etc. and I never had any issues.

It was a gimmick for Motorola, it's a platform on iOS. If you don't understand the distinction...

Totally agree. Motorola cheapened it to a point lower than face unlock.

The newton had a modem option in 1993!you could fax and email it just wasn't Wireless.it also featured a 6 inch display and a stylus.
"it was like every other..."

Please show me a competitor to the newton back in '93, losing credibility here zee.

The Psion series was comparable though the Newton was more feature packed. It wasn't really a market anyone cared about til Palm made their advances in it.

Yeah Samsung. lol. They told me I was holding it wrong when I demoed the s5 at mwc.

What a joke of an OEM

Apple leads in profits, developers, app library l ( both quailty and size), customer service, customer satisfaction, customer retention. iTunes etc. etc etc.

Quality is doubtful since it's been proven that iOS apps crash more despite all being optimized for so few phones. I had pretty poor customer service with Apple and their Genius bar at the Apple store here in Austin has all the intellectual integrity of a fieldmouse on meth. Customer retention... They're losing market share yearly in a growing market... Kinda don't see that. iTunes is overpriced and only works well on their devices. I'll take a cheap subscription to Xbox music any day. Unlimited downloads at 4.99 a month.

z33dev33l

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
lol you sound like that Qualcomm vp moron.
64 bit is the future and I guarantee you will hear google speak about it at length next week.
I'm not even going to compare iOS to wp.

It's the only comparable OS in terms of quality and we beat out Apple in several markets, some of which are actually pretty important Markets. Windows Phone is on a constant rise, Apple is constantly falling. Eventually we'll meet in the middle. It's funny, on AndroidCentral I'm actually defending the iPhone right now.

Oh, I know it's the future... The distant future... For when we actually need 5 gigs of RAM on a smartphone as the 32 bit architecture caps at 4... That's a way away though and for now and for some time, it's a gimmick.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

Sent from my Nexus 5

1.Fair enough

2.you want to limit the scope of personal computing history to prove your point go ahead, but it's a pretty weak point.
Did Motorola phone come with a 6 inch display and a stylus, no. That was a very poor comparison. The newton could send a fax could the Motorola? Again you guys seem hell bent on ignoring apples past achievements to further your premise.

Here is where we disagree on Samsung's success. I personally feel that the note is a failure. 10 million sold in 6 months. That's nothing, during the same period apple sold 95 million iPhones!!!!

3. Sell-in vs sell-through & and the market research houses have been caught artificially inflating android and windows numbers.

4. Perhaps.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Why are we griping and arguing? We should just be very happy that Apple, Google, Microsoft and others have created some wonderful gadgets and devices we all love and become addicted to. Hey, I like Ford Trucks. Someone else might like Chevy Trucks. So what? Then there's Ram. Who was first? Have they copied one another? Probably!

Sent from from my iPhone 5

z33dev33l

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This is why I hate both Android and Apple fanboys and why I use both platforms.

Sent from my Nexus 5

At present, I have an iPhone 5s, a Moto X, a Lumia 1520, a Lumia 1020, a Blackberry Z10, a Nokia N9 and a Jolla Phone all within reach. I'm OS agnostic though when I go out and about, I usually take my Windows Phone.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/WX310J
First to use it as part of the OS back in 2006 but I had a touchscreen WinMo device in 2008 that did the same. I could actually lock and unlock different parts of the phone with fingerprints or secure lock documents, etc. and I never had any issues.

That's not even the same technology as Touch ID, and will not come close in application or implantation.

Zee there are different types of fingerprint sensors/readers:
Capacitive
Optical
Thermal
Pressure
Rf
Ultrasonic
Then you have to decide if you want a static or a swipe reader.

Touch ID is a capacitive sensor with a static reader. That has never been done on a phone and I haven't even seen it in a laptop.

Totally agree. Motorola cheapened it to a point lower than face unlock.
The Psion series was comparable though the Newton was more feature packed. It wasn't really a market anyone cared about til Palm made their advances in it.

Actually no. I had the psion series 3,5,&7.
It is nothing like the newton. Not in appearance or functionality.

No one cared about it lol.
My misguided misinformed friend, psion went on to become Symbian.

Quality is doubtful since it's been proven that iOS apps crash more despite all being optimized for so few phones. I had pretty poor customer service with Apple and their Genius bar at the Apple store here in Austin has all the intellectual integrity of a fieldmouse on meth. Customer retention... They're losing market share yearly in a growing market... Kinda don't see that. iTunes is overpriced and only works well on their devices. I'll take a cheap subscription to Xbox music any day. Unlimited downloads at 4.99 a month.

The app quality on iOS is superior to android.

When it comes to Genius Bar mileage may vary. But apple care is second to none.

Are they losing marketshare or perceived marketshare?
You do understand the distinction.
Apple has gone from selling 10 million iPhones in its first year to selling 150 million iPhones in 2013 to selling 100 million in its first six months of 2014.

Where have they lost marketshare?

Apple has sold a total of 500 million iPhones since 2007. High margin, high end, iPhones.
They are unmatched in the industry.

I would rather buy my media. Different folks.

z33dev33l

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That's not even the same technology as Touch ID, and will not come close in application or implantation.

Zee there are different types of fingerprint sensors/readers:
Capacitive
Optical
Thermal
Pressure
Rf
Ultrasonic
Then you have to decide if you want a static or a swipe reader.

Touch ID is a capacitive sensor with a static reader. That has never been done on a phone and I haven't even seen it in a laptop.

The one I had in 2008 had a fingerprint sensor made by Eikon that I'm quite certain was capacitive. I can't find the phone because when I bing anything about a fingerprint sensor it's Apple and Motorola bickering about who did it first but I know it was in a very unfortunate place on the upper right hand side of the phone's bezel. It worked well though, ugly as sin but it worked with those silly light up blue arrows that constantly drank my battery.

Actually no. I had the psion series 3,5,&7.
It is nothing like the newton. Not in appearance or functionality.

No one cared about it lol.
My misguided misinformed friend, psion went on to become Symbian.

I'm aware of that... I was actually a Symbian user for about two years. Way ahead of their time most of the time.

The app quality on iOS is superior to android.

I don't care for Android but if that's the case, why do they crash more?

When it comes to Genius Bar mileage may vary. But apple care is second to none.

I've heard the good and the bad. Never had a company treat me personally as nice as Nokia and none worse than Samsung so I hope they're somewhere on the higher end but a company who will send you a phone out as a replacement with no having to send it/bring it back in first is rare. Apple is good if you have an Apple store to walk into. Over the phone, not so much.

Are they losing marketshare or perceived marketshare?
You do understand the distinction.
Apple has gone from selling 10 million iPhones in its first year to selling 150 million iPhones in 2013 to selling 100 million in its first six months of 2014.

During Apple's first year, they were entering a market that barely existed with an overpriced commodity that few saw as more than a status symbol. Now, it's a huge market and they're falling further and further behind.

Where have they lost marketshare?

Well, most major markets. Even in the US staggeringly enough considering that we're all marketing suckers here.

Apple has sold a total of 500 million iPhones since 2007. High margin, high end, iPhones.
They are unmatched in the industry.

That's purely opinion. They're often very fragile prior to the 5, even then there are sturdier out there. In terms of overall build quality, it's between Apple and Nokia but I don't think there's a clear winner there.

I would rather buy my media. Different folks.

Me too, at that price I also get to keep 5 of the songs so I'm basically paying $2 or less for a consistent streaming service of music that I want to hear in an impressive library.

Antron

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
It's funny, on AndroidCentral I'm actually defending the iPhone right now.

Yes. He indeed is...

"When you buy an Apple product, you're buying a quality built device that yes, may not have the best specs but is flawlessly optimized to utilize them. Not only that but rather than playing the coin flip game with the OEMs or resorting to rooting you're paying for a consistent and, in this time, unparalleled update system for a pretty good period of time, longer than most need. You're also paying for some of the best support in the technological world and the promise that your phone won't be bogged down in two months. They are what people, at least those that care about the consumer, strive to be. Nokia is working towards it but they're not quite to the extreme that Apple is."

"More reliable, more secure, better camera, maintains battery better, the audio recording is much better, no common network dropping, audio quality is better, it doesn't fail miserably at every drop test like the Nexus 5... Should I continue?"

Very well said. ;)

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
[INFO]
P.U.P.P.A.H
(Be Polite, Understanding, Patient, Professional, Attentive and Helpful)

• Be polite. We ask that you keep your language clean and polite.
  • Be understanding and patient. You may be a power user or developer, but the person you?re talking to on the other end may be a complete newbie. Be patient, and provide all details possible if you?re posting about a problem (descriptive thread title always helps).
  • Be a pro. Don?t get into arguments over dumb things. If someone responds in a poor or rude fashion, ignore it. If you notice a pattern of rude or poor behavior from a particular member, report them to our moderators. If you don?t have anything nice to say, don?t say anything at all. In a nutshell, ?think before you post?.
  • Be attentive and helpful. Answer questions in a timely manner when you can, and provide thoughts and suggestions that might lead to the solution of a members? problem.
[/INFO]

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
[INFO]
P.U.P.P.A.H
(Be Polite, Understanding, Patient, Professional, Attentive and Helpful)

• Be polite. We ask that you keep your language clean and polite.
  • Be understanding and patient. You may be a power user or developer, but the person you?re talking to on the other end may be a complete newbie. Be patient, and provide all details possible if you?re posting about a problem (descriptive thread title always helps).
  • Be a pro. Don?t get into arguments over dumb things. If someone responds in a poor or rude fashion, ignore it. If you notice a pattern of rude or poor behavior from a particular member, report them to our moderators. If you don?t have anything nice to say, don?t say anything at all. In a nutshell, ?think before you post?.
  • Be attentive and helpful. Answer questions in a timely manner when you can, and provide thoughts and suggestions that might lead to the solution of a members? problem.
[/INFO]

Who isn't abiding by that? My latest comment wasn't sarcasm. I really do respect people like him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't matter to me. I feel that all phone will take others idea and make it to their own. Everyone is different and they will be comfortable with whatever phone they choose and right now I am very comfortable with iPhone

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods