The iPhone may be late to features, but only Android users care

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Hey z33dev33l, nice to see you on this side of the pond...
I gotta reply to your post though with the same points as on Android Central. If Apple was always a copy cat, why did they lead the smartphone industry to what it is today... The biggest competitor to iOS is Android and even from the start they had to trash their current project and start with what Apple was doing... The Day Google Had to 'Start Over' on Android - Fred Vogelstein - The Atlantic

Sorry, dude, you're not going change history... the entire Android platform we know today was inspired by the "USELESS" iPhone in 2007...

Well said, and the iPhone wouldn't have been born if past mistakes in the mobile space was not used for information used towards making a better phone and product...

cbobb123

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
It's pretty clear that a lot of the ideas for iOS 8 were nicked from Android, but to be honest, this is how tech companies generally work. The same could be said for any of the tech companies, whether it be Apple, Google, Palm, Microsoft, etc. I don't really care as long as it drives phone manufacturers to compete with each other by create better devices.

Posted via iMore App

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It's pretty clear that a lot of the ideas for iOS 8 were nicked from Android, but to be honest, this is how tech companies generally work. The same could be said for any of the tech companies, whether it be Apple, Google, Palm, Microsoft, etc. I don't really care as long as it drives phone manufacturers to compete with each other by create better devices.

Posted via iMore App

This is true, it's how the industry works...

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

Posted via iMore App

I actually feel as though apple took ideas from the jail breaking community not android.

AgentHeracles

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
You forgot about Microsoft BOB and Windows ME. Now granted BOB was released on primitive hardware and would do better with todays computers.

Last edited:

cbobb123

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
@FFR Things like 3rd party/predictive keyboards, widgets, spotlight improvements and developers being able to make short video demos to promote their apps do seem to be taken from android IMO.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
@FFR Things like 3rd party/predictive keyboards, widgets, spotlight improvements and developers being able to make short video demos to promote their apps do seem to be taken from android IMO.

Sent from my Nexus 5

But does it really matter where the ideas were taken from? Just posing a legitimate question and not inciting anything. :)

cbobb123

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
But does it really matter where the ideas were taken from? Just posing a legitimate question and not inciting anything. :)

No it doesn't matter. All I'm saying is that some(not all) of the features in IOS 8 originated from android. As I said in my original post it's good that the companies are "borrowing" ideas from each other to keep up with competition.

Sent from my Nexus 5

z33dev33l

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hey z33dev33l, nice to see you on this side of the pond...
I gotta reply to your post though with the same points as on Android Central. If Apple was always a copy cat, why did they lead the smartphone industry to what it is today... The biggest competitor to iOS is Android and even from the start they had to trash their current project and start with what Apple was doing... The Day Google Had to 'Start Over' on Android - Fred Vogelstein - The Atlantic

Sorry, dude, you're not going to change history... the entire Android platform we know today was inspired by the "USELESS" iPhone in 2007...

It caused them to realize that touch was the way of the future since pretty much every mobile phone with a touchscreen prior to the iPhone was about as aesthetically pleasing as a schoolbus fire.

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I know when Apple would introduce NFC, these Android deep ****s would start moaning again but just wait and watch. The day it gets on iOS, companies would actually start supporting NFC in departmental stores etc.

Sorry.... but many stores support NFC right now and have for quite some time. Currently using a 5S.. but when I had my Note 3, I made NFC payments at my gas station, Bestbuy, grocery store and a ton of other places.

I see this almost everywhere I shop.

NFC-credit-debit-cards-london-buses.jpg

But why would a iPhone user even notice a NFC payment option when the device is incapable of using it in the first place? i.e. None of my vehicles use diesel fuel, so when I pull into a gas station I dont bother to see if they sell diesel fuel. Why should I?

I really enjoyed paying with my phone... cant wait for the new iPhone to do the same!!

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

Sent from my Nexus 5

Widgets: were first introduced by apple on the mac, back in 2005. Now they are bringing it to iOS(Yosemite is getting widgets 2.0 as well). I remember installing iwidgets when I used to jailbreak my iPhone.

Keyboard: again jail breaking community from the beginning;iKeywi, Fleksy, predictivekeyboard and Touchpal.

Spotlight improvements: are you kidding? Apple holds all the patents regarding spotlight. Their main reason for introducing these features are TO CIRCUMVENT google search.

Video previews: iTunes had video previews for movies, tv shows, music, etc. from the beginning, they are simply adding them to the App Store.

cbobb123

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Widgets: were first introduced by apple on the mac, back in 2005. Now they are bringing it to iOS(Yosemite is getting widgets 2.0 as well). I remember installing iwidgets when I used to jailbreak my iPhone.

Keyboard: again jail breaking community from the beginning;iKeywi, Fleksy, predictivekeyboard and Touchpal.

Spotlight improvements: are you kidding? Apple holds all the patents regarding spotlight. Their main reason for introducing these features are TO CIRCUMVENT google search.

Video previews: iTunes had video previews for movies, tv shows, music, etc. from the beginning, they are simply adding them to the App Store.
Why should people have to jailbreak their iPhones to get these features? If these features you say were all "originally" Apple ideas(which I highly doubt) then why did it take them 7 years to introduce these features into the iPhone. Can you honestly say that if Android wasn't around, IOS would be where it is today? But I have to give credit to apple as well because if it wasn't for the iPhone in 2007 I would be typing this message on a QWERTY keyboard. The point I'm trying to make is that Apple has "borrowed" some things from Android vice versa, but as I said in my original post - I don't really care as long as it drives phone manufacturers to compete with each other by creating better devices.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Why should people have to jailbreak their iPhones to get these features? If these features you say were all "originally" Apple ideas(which I highly doubt) then why did it take them 7 years to introduce these features into the iPhone. Can you honestly say that if Android wasn't around, IOS would be where it is today?

-Well with iOS 8 they won't.

-that's apple for you. They wanted to get it right.

-Yes. However if palm never existed, things eould be very different. The concepts introduced by palm with web os was more important to mobile computing than the paradigms ushered in by Andy Rubin at sidekick or android.
In fact what concepts has apple stolen from android, that wasn't done on the Mac first?

But I have to give credit to apple as well because if it wasn't for the iPhone in 2007 I would be typing this message on a QWERTY keyboard. The point I'm trying to make is that Apple has "borrowed" some things from Android vice versa, but as I said in my original post - I don't really care as long as it drives phone manufacturers to compete with each other by creating better devices.

Better devices??
You mean different devices, not better.

The iPhone ushered in a multitouch and capacitive touchscreens.

What has android or google or the competition have added since then, nothing.
Nokia, Motorola, sony ericsson, htc,
and BlackBerry are all dead, there is no competition, they simply cannot compete against apple.

cbobb123

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site

-Yes. However if palm never existed, things eould be very different. The concepts introduced by palm with web os was more important to mobile computing than the paradigms ushered in by Andy Rubin at sidekick or android.
In fact what concepts has apple stolen from android, that wasn't done on the Mac first?
Are you trying to imply that all of the Mac's features were stolen by Android lol?

Better devices??

and BlackBerry are all dead, there is no competition, they simply cannot compete against apple.
I agree with your first sentence, that's about it. You said that widgets were "first" introduced in Macs. However by that logic, it would like saying that Apple "copied" Motorola with the fingerprint scanner(which I doubt). When in reality I think that Samsung "copied" the fingerprint scanner idea from Apple to compete. In September, we will most likely see Apple introduce a 4.7" iPhone to compete with Android and give Android users a reason to switch sides. Otherwise if they weren't threatened by Android, they would stick to the standard 4" iPhone. Furthermore it also seems that Apple is going to release a 5.5" phablet which was originally introduced in the note series from Samsung to compete with them. It wouldn't surprise me if I see Apple in the next few years introduce water/dust proof iPhones. This is why I have no problem with other companies "copying" each other if it means better phones for me, but you can't seem to get your head around Apple taking a few ideas from other companies to compete and make their devices better. Like Steve once said "Good artists copy; great artists steal", it is all about competition my friend. I'm not an Android fanboy, I'm just trying to make a point. I have a Nexus 5, iPhone 4s and an iPad air. I personally can't wait for the new iPhone.:tongue:

z33dev33l

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Better devices??

Thanks for saying, "Ushered in." as they definitely weren't the first to use it. Most great innovations in this day and age are just improvements on yesterday's technology and most of it is software as a lot of OEMs feel they've perfected the mobile phone and only need to focus on the software or at least that that should be the primary focal point. Since you're talking hardware, what hardware has Apple really come to create since the initial introduction of multitouch which has actually been around since the eighties but they did it on a phone first?

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I agree with your first sentence, that's about it. You said that widgets were "first" introduced in Macs. However by that logic, it would like saying that Apple "copied" Motorola with the fingerprint scanner(which I doubt). When in reality I think that Samsung "copied" the fingerprint scanner idea from Apple to compete. In September, we will most likely see Apple introduce a 4.7" iPhone to compete with Android and give Android users a reason to switch sides. Otherwise if they weren't threatened by Android, they would stick to the standard 4" iPhone. Furthermore it also seems that Apple is going to release a 5.5" phablet which was originally introduced in the note series from Samsung to compete with them. It wouldn't surprise me if I see Apple in the next few years introduce water/dust proof iPhones. This is why I have no problem with other companies "copying" each other if it means better phones for me, but you can't seem to get your head around Apple taking a few ideas from other companies to compete and make their devices better. Like Steve once said "Good artists copy; great artists steal", it is all about competition my friend. I'm not an Android fanboy, I'm just trying to make a point. I have a Nexus 5, iPhone 4s and an iPad air. I personally can't wait for the new iPhone.:tongue:

Apple didn't copy Motorola, they launched Touch ID, a completely different technology. Motorola's implementation never worked, so they abandoned it.

It's more like a comparison between a v8, a flat six, a rotary engine, and an electric engine.

In regards to apple introducting a larger screen iPhone:

4amytemy.jpg

They were already thier first back in the mid 90's, oh look do I see a stylus . Lol. :)

Actually Steve stole that from Picasso, ;) But seriously you don't seem to understand it, and very few people in tech actually do.
It has to do with art history, it's the difference between aping and assimilating, between leading and following.

Apple leads the industry.
Do you disagree?

In regards to competition, it's an illusion.
Just look at all the incumbents for proof. They are all gone.

Good luck with the iPhone 6.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for saying, "Ushered in." as they definitely weren't the first to use it. Most great innovations in this day and age are just improvements on yesterday's technology and most of it is software as a lot of OEMs feel they've perfected the mobile phone and only need to focus on the software or at least that that should be the primary focal point. Since you're talking hardware, what hardware has Apple really come to create since the initial introduction of multitouch which has actually been around since the eighties but they did it on a phone first?

Phone first??
What devices, consumer or otherwise, could I purchase before the iPhone, that featured multi touch?

What would you consider innovative?

Regarding yesterday's technology and improvements, Replacing a horse with an engine fits your description pretty well as being "meh" and not very innovative.

I mean they had a steam engine and a cart anybody can put them together. Lol :)

Regarding other advances in hardware, how about 64 bit MOBILE COMPUTING???
Or how about a FUNCTIONING fingerprint scanner (capacitive or otherwise), on a mobile phone no less.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal