The iPhone may be late to features, but only Android users care

z33dev33l

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You guys should've seen how "lively" the CrackBerry forums were after WWDC. Certainly kept all of us mods busy lol.

When you really look at it, everyone borrows concepts and features from others and puts their own spin on it. Apple more often than not seems to be able to hit the sweet spot and make their versions very user friendly. As I said over on CB...it's not about who does it first, but it's about who does it best!

Exactly! I mean, the argument is basically, "We have this poorly implemented option that's kinda like that... You stole it." In the face of something lightyears better...

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't even think we will have a successful tablet if ideas weren't 'copied' and improved upon. There would be no iPad and iPhone to accelerate growth.

Innovation cannot happen in a vacuum...

agarwal.apar

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
"Innovation cannot happen in a vacuum..." - Well said, a beer from my side :D

I don't even think we will have a successful tablet if ideas weren't 'copied' and improved upon. There would be no iPad and iPhone to accelerate growth.

Innovation cannot happen in a vacuum...

Antron

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Innovation synonyms: variation, alteration, "change", "modification"

"Today we're going to REINVENT the phone." - Steve Jobs, 2007

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Short on innovation, but long on price-fixing. $$$.

What you call price fixing, I call holding value. As customer, I'm thrilled whenever apple helps to maintain value in their products. I wish some of the other manufacturers would but they are all about exploiting their customers.

Touch ID, 64 bit architecture, iTunes ecosystem, etc. etc. all help apple hold value.

BBFunGuy

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
It is seriously ok to have your own private definition of price-fixing. That makes you a snowflake. Screw dictionaries.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Whenever Apple announces a new version of iOS it is often criticized as ?playing catch up? to Android. Third party keyboards in the upcoming iOS 8 is a good example of iOS adding something that Android users had for years. In digging through my article archives I found this article that is still applicable to today:

The iPhone may be late to features, but only Android users care - CNET

But what say you? If you own an iPhone how do you feel when Apple adds features that have long been on Android? And if you own an Android phone how do you feel when Apple adds features to iOS that you have had for a long time? Is Apple really playing catch up?

Personally I think it's kinda cute that somebody still reads Cnet ...

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I don't see it as copying. They have had the technology probably longer than Google. But they take their time so that when that technology is used, it's going to work great. That's why the iPhone is a much more stable phone than the Androids.

Sent from from my iPhone 5

I agree Apple is known for waiting until something is just right before releasing but the keyboard is a bad example. They are allowing 3rd party ones.. Not ones they made. So it's about simply letting the OS do it. There really isn't anything to perfect.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using iMore Forums.

z33dev33l

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I agree Apple is known for waiting until something is just right before releasing but the keyboard is a bad example. They are allowing 3rd party ones.. Not ones they made. So it's about simply letting the OS do it. There really isn't anything to perfect.

I'm excited though considering with iOS 7, my only complaint was that the keyboard was near unusable and incredibly dumb by smartphone standards. I do hope that some keyboards retain the visuals of the iPhone as opposed to putting on their visually underwhelming appearances.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm excited though considering with iOS 7, my only complaint was that the keyboard was near unusable and incredibly dumb by smartphone standards. I do hope that some keyboards retain the visuals of the iPhone as opposed to putting on their visually underwhelming appearances.

But one could make an appearance you like... You wouldn't know till it happened :).

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Everyone is always playing catch up to everyone else. Some companies just do it differently. Apple doesn't just throw features into their devices on a whim, that's how they always operate. So to some I guess it looks like they are playing catch up on the features list. IMO Android still needs to catch WAY up on polish, cohesiveness, usability, and stability.

Ever since I tried Swiftkey on Android I've wanted it on my iPhone. Now Apple has finally decided they are able to deliver an enjoyable Swiftkey experience on the iPhone. IMO this is only good.

z33dev33l

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Everyone is always playing catch up to everyone else. Some companies just do it differently. Apple doesn't just throw features into their devices on a whim, that's how they always operate. So to some I guess it looks like they are playing catch up on the features list. IMO Android still needs to catch WAY up on polish, cohesiveness, usability, and stability.

Ever since I tried Swiftkey on Android I've wanted it on my iPhone. Now Apple has finally decided they are able to deliver an enjoyable Swiftkey experience on the iPhone. IMO this is only good.

That's why I respect Microsoft and Apple's approach to making a quality product. Not just a feature-packed one.

Antron

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
mepavuhe.jpg

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Oh I agree it's good. I'm glad Apple is expanding to these things for their users. All it can do is benefit the consumer :).

Alik Malix

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Personally, I feel Apple has always been a copy cat. That's not a bad thing though as they generally copy it and make it more polished than Android and as polished as Windows Phone.

Hey z33dev33l, nice to see you on this side of the pond...
I gotta reply to your post though with the same points as on Android Central. If Apple was always a copy cat, why did they lead the smartphone industry to what it is today... The biggest competitor to iOS is Android and even from the start they had to trash their current project and start with what Apple was doing... The Day Google Had to 'Start Over' on Android - Fred Vogelstein - The Atlantic

Sorry, dude, you're not going to change history... the entire Android platform we know today was inspired by the "USELESS" iPhone in 2007...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro