Samsung might be ditching Android for their own OS called Tizen.
    The Master Plan: Why Samsung Is Ditching Android - Forbes
    Antron, nikkisharif and Just_Me_D like this.
    06-04-2014 05:43 PM
    I wonder how many of those Samsung fans are die hard Android fans...this will definitely shake things up!!! Gotta love competition & options!
    06-04-2014 06:21 PM
    The Android purists who happen to like Samsung's design (which is beyond me to be honest) might jump ship fast.
    Last edited by Speedygi; 06-06-2014 at 07:49 AM.
    06-06-2014 05:43 AM
    If this happened I'd love to see the sales numbers for the first Tizen halo device. There would no doubt be a drop off but how much of one would be interesting. This would also be an interesting experiment in brute force development. Just because Samsung's install base is so large they have an immediate advantage in getting developer's attention, but that by itself isn't a compelling reason to make an ecosystem around Tizen.

Additionally it is a great test of marketing. The answer to, "Why skin Android" has always been about creating an experience that users will want to come back to and not just be a manufacturer for Google. Take Google out of the equation and how many devices do you sell?

But I don't think it will be as drastic as the Forbes article suggests. Google and Android are a strong brand now and taking them out of the the next S phone (not a Galaxy if there is no Android) would just lead to a strong backlash.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    06-06-2014 08:41 AM
    Who's path??....If I'm not mistaken, there were others before Apple that had their own operating system.
    06-06-2014 09:22 AM
    Who's path??....If I'm not mistaken, there were others before Apple that had their own operating system.
    They're more following Nokia's path minus the quality.
    06-06-2014 09:57 AM
    They're more following Nokia's path minus the quality.
    ....And you know the quality of the Tizen operating system because you have worked with it extensively??
    06-06-2014 10:02 AM
    ....And you know the quality of the Tizen operating system because you have worked with it extensively??
    No, I know the quality of Samsung's Fisher Price toys.
    06-06-2014 10:28 AM
    Oh okay....Thanks for the info.
    06-06-2014 10:45 AM
    Samsung has a pretty good software suite. On Android it tends to be an also ran but none of the apps are bad. If Samsung can translate that software to Tizen, they'll have most of the essentials in place. It will be awful hard to build a new mobile os up with competition from Android and iOS. Even Microsoft and Blackberry struggle from the "no apps" perception and they've been players for a long time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Algus; 06-08-2014 at 09:03 PM.
    06-07-2014 09:56 PM
    Plastic they may be but the most recent Galaxy phone is also water and dust resistant. Kind of hard to lump that in with Fischer Price toys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    06-08-2014 11:12 AM