Apple will not stand anymore in Front of Android / samsung

Antron

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
About that...

and

Have had Android devices since 2009. Not a single virus so far.

Glad to hear that. My friends daughter had an iPhone and she went to android because of all the bells and whistles. Now, she plans on going back to the iPhone when the iPhone 6 comes out because she's tired of getting messages to defrag her android phone. Too funny. If you like android that's cool. I like the HTC m8. Rock solid phone. Keep up your passion JeffDever, I like it ;)

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Antron

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
So...Notifications and widgets and prediction keyboards are obvious, but icon grids are not. Ok.

And um...strictly speaking...the first Android phone did NOT look like an iPhone. Here is what the G1 actually looked like:

http://www.creativeapplications.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/android1a.jpg

Notice:

1 - Primary interface is not an icon grid. It is a desktop.

2 - Hardware keyboard

3 - Multiple hardware buttons for navigation.

Google changed the design, but the design it changed too still did not look like an iPhone.

Oh my...glad they copied Apple after all. My friend had that phone too! Don't see how they lived with it. Lol!

JeffDenver

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Glad to hear that. My friends daughter had an iPhone and she went to android because of all the bells and whistles. Now, she plans on going back to the iPhone when the iPhone 6 comes out because she's tired of getting messages to defrag her android phone.
Did she disable her security to sideload apps from somewhere other than Google Play? I'm willing to bet she did.

I've known dozens of people with Android phones. No viruses yet. I can tell you from experience, the Malware hysteria is greatly exaggerated. As that link states, the vast majority of malware comes from people sideloading pirated apps. Google treats you like an adult and allows you to disable security if you want to...but malware is one of the risks you choose to take if you do.

JeffDenver

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
One...More...Thing!

This comes from iOS Gravity:

Samsung might be ditching Android for their own OS called Tizen.
Will never happen. Ever. Samsung likes making money too much. And no one is going to buy a Tizen phone.

I know lots of people with Samsung phones, but no one buys Samsung phones for the stupid touchwiz UI...in fact a lot of people hate it. It's a liability, not an asset. People buy Samsung for the hardware, not the superfluous and laggy UI. And Tizen is an OS based on touchwiz.

At this point they will struggle just to get carriers to carry Tizen phones at all. Even Windows phone will be dramatically more popular.

Antron

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Did she disable her security to sideload apps from somewhere other than Google Play? I'm willing to bet she did.

I've known dozens of people with Android phones. No viruses yet. I can tell you from experience, the Malware hysteria is greatly exaggerated. As that link states, the vast majority of malware comes from people sideloading pirated apps. Google treats you like an adult and allows you to disable security if you want to...but malware is one of the risks you choose to take if you do.

That's cool that android has that feature. I didn't know that. That's why I like talking to people that have different devices. I like learning about all the platforms.

JeffDenver

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Oh my...glad they copied Apple after all. My friend had that phone too! Don't see how they lived with it. Lol!
The Droid 1 was awesome. It's only real weakness was RAM...but for the time it had a great display (more than double the resolution of iPhones at that time), and had storage expandable to 48 gigs. The camera had a better macro mode than anything else at the time as well. The iPhone 4 was the first iPhone that could arguably be said to equal the Droid 1, and even that is debatable IMO.

The G1 was more limited, but it was also the first Android phone. So I basically look at it as a prototype.

Antron

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Will never happen. Ever. Samsung likes making money too much. And no one is going to buy a Tizen phone.

I know lots of people with Samsung phones, but no one buys Samsung phones for the stupid touchwiz UI...in fact a lot of people hate it. It's a liability, not an asset. People buy Samsung for the hardware, not the superfluous and laggy UI. And Tizen is an OS based on touchwiz.

At this point they will struggle just to get carriers to carry Tizen phones at all. Even Windows phone will be dramatically more popular.

Gotcha. A friend of mine talked about Tizen a little bit but I don't know much about it. Let me ask you this though. Why do you think Samsung phones are more popular than HTC? I went to Best Buy to play around with the M8 and Galaxy s5 and I like the M8 way better. I know the Galaxy has more features but what do you think?

JeffDenver

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
That's cool that android has that feature. I didn't know that. That's why I like talking to people that have different devices. I like learning about all the platforms.
On google approved devices (which means, devices that are allowed to have Google Apps installed by default) security settings will only allow you install apps from the Play store. In order to sideload app (or use apps from any other market, like Amazons) you have to disable security in your settings. Otherwise it will stop your installation.

When you jailbreak an iPhone it is doing the same thing. It is bypassing Apple's security. Thats the main reason Apple forbids jailbreaking. They want control over security.

JeffDenver

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Gotcha. A friend of mine talked about Tizen a little bit but I don't know much about it. Let me ask you this though. Why do you think Samsung phones are more popular than HTC?
Hardware.

Samsung has a history of making good/great hardware (fast CPUs, high quality displays ect) that include features people want (SD, removable battery). There was a trend around the time the GS2 came out where Google was trying to push Android vendors towards the iPhone model (no SD expansion, and embedded batteries). Samsung resisted this trend while still providing great specs. And a lot of people liked them for it. That was before the touchwiz backlash started.

I went to Best Buy to play around with the M8 and Galaxy s5 and I like the M8 way better.
The M8 has an awful camera. It is only 4MP and it's quality is worse than the much older and much cheaper Nexus 5.

View attachment 57907

The did finally bring back SD support...but it is probably too little too late. There is really no reason to buy an M8 at all except for the case and the stereo speakers. The Galaxy S5 has a better camera, SD, Removable battery, the best display of any phone on the market right now, and is waterproof.

I owned an HTC Rezound...I loved the hardware, but I grew to despise Sense (HTC's custom UI, similar to Touchwiz). I will never own another Android phone that does not use Vanilla Android. I've since installed a Vanilla Android ROM onto my Rezound...it runs significantly better and has the latest version of Android now.

Antron

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Hardware.

Samsung has a history of making good/great hardware (fast CPUs, high quality displays ect) that include features people want (SD, removable battery). There was a trend around the time the GS2 came out where Google was trying to push Android vendors towards the iPhone model (no SD expansion, and embedded batteries). Samsung resisted this trend while still providing great specs. And a lot of people liked them for it. That was before the touchwiz backlash started.

The M8 has an awful camera. It is only 4MP and it's quality is worse than the much older and much cheaper Nexus 5.

View attachment 57907

The did finally bring back SD support...but it is probably too little too late. There is really no reason to buy an M8 at all except for the case and the stereo speakers. The Galaxy S5 has a better camera, SD, Removable battery, the best display of any phone on the market right now, and is waterproof.

I owned an HTC Rezound...I loved the hardware, but I grew to despise Sense (HTC's custom UI, similar to Touchwiz). I will never own another Android phone that does not use Vanilla Android. I've since installed a Vanilla Android ROM onto my Rezound...it runs significantly better and has the latest version of Android
now.

Good deal. You know your tech. I respect that. I got to run but it was nice collaborating with you. See you around the forums!

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Exactly...Stealing is only bad when you're stealing from Apple. When Apple does it, we're supposed to turn a blind eye. Or even applaud it like Apple people are doing now.

No one ever made the argument that Widgets should be patentable, or that iOS should not have them. Google is not the one going around suing everyone for "stealing" ideas they didn't even invent. Apple is the one doing that.

Back the truck up there, Jeff. The issue isn?t ?copying? per se. Sure, Apple complains about that. But the issue is the patent issues. It?s not that Samsung DID what they did (copy Apple?s functionality). The issue was HOW they did it - by violating Apple?s patent without licensing said patent. THAT is the issue. The volley of lawsuits between Apple and Samsung (including Google) was about PATENT VIOLATIONS and NOT about copying functionality, per se. So far, Apple has proven that in a court of law TWICE in the past year or so. That pretty much makes it ?fact?.

z33dev33l

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
To those of you arguing about who did it first, you're all wrong. LG made the first smartphone in a similar style to the iPhone, the LG Prada

LG Prada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In many ways, it gave birth to this generation.

The HTC G1 (Dream) entered production in october of 2006, a few months before they had the iPhone so the touch screen interface would've come about whether or not Apple had come into play. It was a matter of building an OS behind it. The hardware would've evolved as such either way aside from Samsung who has blatantly ripped off Apple on several occasions en route to becoming the powerhouse they are.

z33dev33l

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So...Notifications and widgets and prediction keyboards are obvious, but icon grids are not. Ok.

And um...strictly speaking...the first Android phone did NOT look like an iPhone. Here is what the G1 actually looked like:

http://www.creativeapplications.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/android1a.jpg

Notice:

1 - Primary interface is not an icon grid. It is a desktop.

2 - Hardware keyboard

3 - Multiple hardware buttons for navigation.

Google changed the design, but the design it changed too still did not look like an iPhone.

The phone in the first picture is not the G1...it's a Motorola Droid. That is a motorola/Verizon phone. It ALSO had the exact same attributes I just listed above...it simply had a slightly larger display.

So unless you are trying to argue that Apple "invented" the full-screen display (or the idea of an icon Grid), I'm not sure how Google copied the iPhone at all.

Static row of icons? Symbian had that half a decade earlier.

z33dev33l

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hardware.

View attachment 57907

I owned an HTC Rezound...I loved the hardware, but I grew to despise Sense (HTC's custom UI, similar to Touchwiz). I will never own another Android phone that does not use Vanilla Android. I've since installed a Vanilla Android ROM onto my Rezound...it runs significantly better and has the latest version of Android now.

Samsung is big because prior to the galaxy S, there wasn't a high end Android phone that rivaled the iPhone in any fashion. At the time, the iPhone was only available on one carrier in the US and a few select carriers worldwide. They only dealt with the upper echelon of carriers. In the US, that was ATT who was in second place. The Galaxy S series was the first high quality smart phone to be made available to absolutely everyone worldwide and in doing so they built a name for themselves that few can keep up with. The Galaxy S devices have great specs, I won't deny that. That said, after the Captivate they went to the cheap plasticky materials that they've since been building them out of and they're seldom a pleasure to hold and have a higher rate of hardware failure than any other major OEM in the world. They rode in on their name and their marketing. In all actuality, their phones aren't of a particularly high quality, especially for the price.

JeffDenver

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR