Apple will not stand anymore in Front of Android / samsung

Antron

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Hold up the Touchpad did a lot of things well it was powerful and the Multitasking made it very productive

I'm sure it was very productive. A friend of mine told me how he watched a demo of it and how impressed he was by it. Unfortunately it was discontinued, thus...it is finished. :)

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure it was very productive. A friend of mine told me how he watched a demo of it and how impressed he was by it. Unfortunately it was discontinued, thus...it is finished. :)

True I might be one of the last people using one

JeffDenver

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
So Apple has basically removed any pretense they might have had about stealing. Apparently, Stealing is awful when Samsung does it, but magical and innovative when Apple does it.

Great artists steal: The iOS 8 features inspired by Android

Apple has taken the wraps off iOS 8, its newest mobile operating system, at its WWDC keynote. There were lots of new features added to iOS, but any observer familiar with Android saw quite a few things that seem... familiar. That's because many of Apple's announced upgrades were things the Android OS has boasted for years.

Third party keyboards - Apple finally relinquished its grip on the system keyboard, allowing third parties to replace Apple's solution with something of their own. This was another thing Android had with its initial implementation of on-screen typing in Android 1.5.

Hotwords, music recognition, and streaming voice recognition - Google released Voice Actions, Apple released Siri, then Google countered with Google Now. Since then, the two have been compared in countless voice recognition shoot outs.

Google was the first to experiment with hotword detection on Google Glass and again later on in the Google Now Launcher that shipped with the Nexus 5. As long as the device was awake, saying "OK Google" would fire up the voice recognizer without having to touch the device. Now, iOS 8 matches that with "Hey Siri," which you can shout at the device to have it start listening.

Notification Actions - A notification pops up and... what do you do with it? Android has allowed developers to add up to two action buttons to a notification since Android 4.1, which means you can often deal with a notification right from the notification drawer. Now Apple is jumping on the bandwagon with its own version of the feature, and it looks very much like the Android implementation.

Widgets - Widgets have been a mainstay of Android since 1.0, with third parties allowed to get in on the action in 1.5 and above. Android uses a completely customizable desktop with a mix of icons and widgets. Apple's version of the idea is a little more limited—iOS 8 widgets are small app extensions that take up a spot in the Notification Center.

Great artists steal: The iOS 8 features inspired by Android | Ars Technica

The issue here is not that Apple stole, but that they are such colossal hypocrites. This level of hypocrisy is so highly concentrated that you'd think they would need to take medication for it. I honestly can't see how anyone could defend them at this point...they are doing the exact same thing they accused Samsung of doing.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So Apple has basically removed any pretense they might have had about stealing. Apparently, Stealing is awful when Samsung does it, but magical and innovative when Apple does it.

The issue here is not that Apple stole, but that they are such colossal hypocrites. This level of hypocrisy is so highly concentrated that you'd think they would need to take medication for it. I honestly can't see how anyone could defend them at this point...they are doing the exact same thing they accused Samsung of doing.

If you're a technology business owner and a large segment of your customers and potential customers tell you that they'd like to see you implement some of the things that your competitors have implemented, are you telling me that you would not do so? If you did comply with their demand, is it stealing or giving them what they want?

Antron

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the problem with Samsung is that they were using patented technology from Apple. Like JustMe'D stated if consumers want a feature added that a competitor has I don't see anything wrong with them adding it their way.

Example: Widgets have long been on android and though Apple is adding it to iOS, it's done in a different way than on android.

Just my thoughts :)

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the problem with Samsung is that they were using patented technology from Apple. Like JustMe'D stated if consumers want a feature added that a competitor has I don't see anything wrong with them adding it their way.

Example: Widgets have long been on android and though Apple is adding it to iOS, it's done in a different way than on android.

Just my thoughts :)

Very much on spot, sir. As far as “widgets” go, they’ve been around for many years on many platforms. Windows had ’em. OS X had ’em. Mobile platforms have had ’em. They are not patentable. Perhaps the implementation of them is/could be, but the concept of widgets, in and of themselves, are not.

Apple sued Samsung because of patent infringements. BTW, the “rectangular phone with rounded corners” was patented by Apple, so yeah, there’s that.

And here’s an interesting article on the whole thing from an Android fanboy:

New iOS 8 Features That Android Actually Needs to Adopt | Droid Life

JeffDenver

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
If you're a technology business owner and a large segment of your customers and potential customers tell you that they'd like to see you implement some of the things that your competitors have implemented, are you telling me that you would not do so?
Oh of course I would. In fact, I'd have done it a lot sooner. It's not like this is new...Apple users have been asking for Widgets since forever.

But...

1) Apple has filed MANY high profile lawsuits complaining about copying.

2) Apple (and it's users) have been critical of these features in the past. They said widgets are pointless and battery wasting. They said the same thing about live wallpaper (introduced in iOS7). They basically said that all these features are things they didn't want anyway, which is why they didn't care that Android had them.

So my point is that Apple is being a little hypocritical here.

If you did comply with their demand, is it stealing or giving them what they want?
It's both.

I don't have a problem with Apple "stealing"....I never considered this sort of thing stealing to begin with. But they are being hypocrites. It is like a thief complaining he is being robbed. This is clear evidence that Apple lawsuits were not about preventing theft (since Apple clearly has no problem with theft) but with depleting their competition instead. They were competing in the courtroom instead of the market.

JeffDenver

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Very much on spot, sir. As far as “widgets” go, they’ve been around for many years on many platforms. Windows had ’em. OS X had ’em. Mobile platforms have had ’em. They are not patentable. Perhaps the implementation of them is/could be, but the concept of widgets, in and of themselves, are not.

Apple sued Samsung because of patent infringements. BTW, the “rectangular phone with rounded corners” was patented by Apple, so yeah, there’s that.
Exactly...Stealing is only bad when you're stealing from Apple. When Apple does it, we're supposed to turn a blind eye. Or even applaud it like Apple people are doing now.

No one ever made the argument that Widgets should be patentable, or that iOS should not have them. Google is not the one going around suing everyone for "stealing" ideas they didn't even invent. Apple is the one doing that.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Exactly...Stealing is only bad when you're stealing from Apple. When Apple does it, we're supposed to turn a blind eye. Or even applaud it like Apple people are doing now.

No one ever made the argument that Widgets should be patentable, or that iOS should not have them. Google is not the one going around suing everyone for "stealing" ideas they didn't even invent. Apple is the one doing that.

Then the proper parties, who are the only ones who should be offended, should sue Apple. Plain and simple.

Antron

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1401918019.052795.jpg

Apple?s products came first, then Samsung?s.

(Couldn't help myself lol)

JeffDenver

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Then the proper parties, who are the only ones who should be offended, should sue Apple. Plain and simple.
Maybe...but I think it is unreasonable to expect people not to criticize Apple for this behavior. And I think it still makes them hypocrites...whether or not the other parties sue them back.

There is a cognitive dissonance in the Apple community where their fans will excuse behavior from Apple that they would criticize if it was anyone else.

Antron

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1401918106.315977.jpg

Here?s what Google?s Android looked like before and after Apple?s iPhone.

JeffDenver

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
View attachment 57905

Here’s what Google’s Android looked like before and after Apple’s iPhone.
So...Notifications and widgets and prediction keyboards are obvious, but icon grids are not. Ok.

And um...strictly speaking...the first Android phone did NOT look like an iPhone. Here is what the G1 actually looked like:

android1a.jpg

Notice:

1 - Primary interface is not an icon grid. It is a desktop.

2 - Hardware keyboard

3 - Multiple hardware buttons for navigation.

Google changed the design, but the design it changed too still did not look like an iPhone.

The phone in the first picture is not the G1...it's a Motorola Droid. That is a motorola/Verizon phone. It ALSO had the exact same attributes I just listed above...it simply had a slightly larger display.

So unless you are trying to argue that Apple "invented" the full-screen display (or the idea of an icon Grid), I'm not sure how Google copied the iPhone at all.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73