Most advanced Mobile OS my....

helmania

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I have one serious problem with my iphone 5. In fact come to think of it, I've had this problem with ALL of my previous apple devices and after many OS updates, apple never effing care to fix it. By now I'm sure you are dying to know what this big problem is, well it has to do with the EFFING fact that the worthless iOS 7 keeps eating up my space.

I gradually noticed my available space (gigs) kept on getting smaller and smaller and it got to a point yesterday where I only had under 2 gigs left. There was a game on the app-store I wanted to download but could not. So since I've dealt with this ridiculous problem before in the past, I knew exactly what I had to do: I hard reset my iphone and restored from my last iCould backup and after an hour for everything to download back mambo jumbo, I had 6.8 gig available. So I recovered 4.8 gigs. But as I am writing this rant, I've watched about 30 mins of you-tube videos and 1 hour of netflix and I'm suddenly at 6.2.

Now I understand a thing or two about the way computers stream videos from the internet. They cache (download) the file into a temp folder. The problem with iOS is that it RARELY EVER clean out its temp files. So they just sit there and hog all my space. Now only once I was downloading a file which was bigger than the available space and I noticed all of my video streaming apps had the word "cleaning" under all of them while the app I wanted was in "waiting" mode. However that seemed to have been just a lucky glitch as that never happened again.

So for iOS 8, my most wanted feature is the most basic one that should have been on board since iOS5: Make the OS clean its temp folders every day cause I'm getting sick n tired of having to reinstall just to get my gigs back.

Thx for listening to my rant. :mad:

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Re: Most advanced Mobile OS my a$$

Why not get a device that has more storage? You can't really blame Apple if you purchased a device that doesn't fit your needs.

helmania

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

Why not get a device that has more storage? You can't really blame Apple if you purchased a device that doesn't fit your needs.

I'm sorry but your reply is idiotic at best and I'm not trying to be a jerk to you here but let use reason for a minute. If the OS doesn't clean its temp folder and swallows 4 gigs of my space. The SAME THING would happen regardless if I had a 32 gig or 64 gig iphone. My point here is, for example, I stream a lot of movies and videos on my computer and at any point and time, I always have the same amount of space I'm SUPPOSE to have. You know why? Because windows 7 cleans it's temp folder as soon as the temp file has exceeded its need (though it does keep the low size temp stuff a little bit longer) and gives me back that space AS IT SHOULD. iOS needs to do the same. There is no point in having my gigs being held hostage by temp files that are of no use to me. On top of that, it's doesn't stop at a certain point, it always keeps on taking more space. So I believe a 32 gig iPhone with 15 true gigs available would eventually come down to 2 gigs and less.

I hope this is clearer for you now.

Thx for your comment.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

I'm sorry but your reply is idiotic at best and I'm not trying to be a jerk to you here but let use reason for a minute. If the OS doesn't clean its temp folder and swallows 4 gigs of my space. The SAME THING would happen regardless if I had a 32 gig or 64 gig iphone. My point here is, for example, I stream a lot of movies and videos on my computer and at any point and time, I always have the same amount of space I'm SUPPOSE to have. You know why? Because windows 7 cleans it's temp folder as soon as the temp file has exceeded its need (though it does keep the low size temp stuff a little bit longer) and gives me back that space AS IT SHOULD. iOS needs to do the same. There is no point in having my gigs being held hostage by temp files that are of no use to me. On top of that, it's doesn't stop at a certain point, it always keeps on taking more space. So I believe a 32 gig iPhone with 15 true gigs available would eventually come down to 2 gigs and less.

Thx for your comment.

It has 27.9 available if you get the 32GB version... I only have around 2GB taken up by the "other" on my iPod Touch 5th Generation and iPhone 4S.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I really don't know what to tell you. My youngest son streams a great deal of videos via Netflix, Hulu Plus and YouTube on my iPad Mini and not once have we experienced the problem you're experiencing. Granted, my iPad Mini is the 64 GB version, however, even when I had the 16 GB iPad 2, I still did not experience those problems, and I used to stream a great deal of ESPN college football games with it.

helmania

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

I really don't know what to tell you. My youngest son streams a great deal of videos via Netflix, Hulu Plus and YouTube on my iPad Mini and not once have we experienced the problem you're experiencing. Granted, my iPad Mini is the 64 GB version, however, even when I had the 16 GB iPad 2, I still did not experience those problems, and I used to stream a great deal of ESPN college football games with it.

Yes this is not something most people will ever notice unless you monitor your available space religiously like I do. Do this just for kicks, check what the available space on your ipad is and write it down. Then, back up everything to iCould or locat itunes, erase all data and settings and do a new install from the last backup you just did. After about an hour (depending on how much you have on there) when everything has been restored, check your available space now and I guarantee you it will be at least 3 to 4 gigs more. I read in other places where that dreadful "other" hijacked as much as 12 gigs from 32 gig iphones.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I believe you. I've just never had to deal with it, thankfully. Also, I rarely restore from a backup. I'm a fan of restoring as new...:)

helmania

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

It has 27.9 available if you get the 32GB version... I only have around 2GB taken up by the "other" on my iPod Touch 5th Generation and iPhone 4S.

That is another problem because itunes always show me around 2 gigs as well but as my restore clearly showed, it was over 4 gigs.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

I agree with the OP. Except the part where he insulted someone replying. Not that it's been a big problem for me, but the time it takes iOS to clean up cache is ridiculous sometimes. This is why we always see posts about what is taking up "Other" in space. I don't necessarily want a setting to go manually clean up cache, but I want the OS to handle it at a faster rate. And the same goes for the number of pictures the OS saves. If you send a picture from your camera roll in a message, that picture is now saved in the camera roll, the message itself, in an album (if you've created an album), AND photo stream (if you have photo stream on). A copy of the same pic in 4 different places is just a clustermuck.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

I have seen this happen over time with my kids iPads they use Netflix daily .. It takes about 6 months before I notice it and have to restore to gain the space back.
On the flip side I never attributed it to streaming .. They install and delete apps like crazy so I always thought it was left overs. I do notice some apps like to bloat up like FB for example.. My question would be what's apps are getting bigger taking up space ? Can you see it ? Like say Netflix size got bigger after a day of streaming ? If you can pinpoint the app I would delete the app and reinstall it might free up space without a restore. I think this is a issue that most don't notice day to day. If apple allowed so sort of file system a restore would not be needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site

I think what OP is trying to say, through all the non-nonsensical rants implying that his issue *must* be happening on other devices, that he's having the "other" bug. Where his iPhone is showing X.X gig of "other" usage when plugged in to iTunes.

I will say that this isn't an iOS only issue, as I've had similar on my Androids. In all honesty though, I can fix it easier on my Androids as I have a file manager there though. The fix I've done for X.X gig of "other" is a backup/restore through iCloud. As "other" isn't there unless it's data I actually want. Had a friend syncing their iMovie edit files, and that was taking 4.3 gig in "other".

helmania

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

Well, thx for all the replies. This is a serious problem (not a bug) and I sincerely home apple does something about it in iOS 8. A manual option wouldn't hurt either. And yes, Facebook, Twitter, and a few others all bloat up after a while. Because once again, iOS saves files/data that we have no use for. But netflix and YouTube don't bloat up, however, they still are a big culprit to this problem. Perhaps as someone suggested, I delete n reinstall these apps, maybe that'll be a faster way to deal with the problem. Time to find my passwords!

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

Thx for your comment.

No need for this. :)

williamsbh76

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

I don't know if you are Jailbroken but I can suggest a Cydia app called iCleaner. It gets rid of photos in text threads and a lot of the temp junk that will clog your phone. I have been using it since I started jailbreaking and it has always worked extremely well for me.

Honestly, I think this is a huge problem across every OS out there from Mac to PC, Android to iPhone, whatever. As Apps and OS's get more features and more robust interfaces, storage is getting to be a premium and the useless junk has to go at some point.

z33dev33l

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Thx for your comment.

First of all, there is no call for this blatant disrespect. That was highly uncalled for.

Second, iOS is far from the most "Advanced" OS. It's actually on the lower end of that scale. It's recent update was mostly borrowing features from other operating systems and a fingerprint scanner for good measures. Apple has gotten complacent in their spot in the mobile industry and can hold that way for some time because people will buy for the brand. Technically speaking, in terms of advancement, Android wins simply because it offers the most options and features. That said, I wouldn't use a laggy unstable mess like Android so I mostly stick with the middle ground at Windows Phone.

I didn't care to go into that spiel but I wanted to both ask you to stop being rude and stay on topic at the same time.

BBFunGuy

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site

No need for this. :)

If someone goes looking for support, monolithic rant, or not, how would you describe being told to buy a different device?

The 'other data' is annoying on my Z10, and if a different device had a better filing system, that would be more attractive to me than the idiotic :p fingerprint scanner, 'wireless' charging, 24MP selfie-cam. Who is not annoyed by useless data in their storage? That is a rhetorical question.

z33dev33l

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

If someone goes looking for support, monolithic rant, or not, how would you describe being told to buy a different device?

The 'other data' is annoying on my Z10, and if a different device had a better filing system, that would be more attractive to me than the idiotic :p fingerprint scanner, 'wireless' charging, 24MP selfie-cam. Who is not annoyed by useless data in their storage? That is a rhetorical question.

That post made little sense to me and was all over the place.

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site

Well, thx for all the replies. This is a serious problem (not a bug) and I sincerely home apple does something about it in iOS 8. A manual option wouldn't hurt either. And yes, Facebook, Twitter, and a few others all bloat up after a while. Because once again, iOS saves files/data that we have no use for. But netflix and YouTube don't bloat up, however, they still are a big culprit to this problem. Perhaps as someone suggested, I delete n reinstall these apps, maybe that'll be a faster way to deal with the problem. Time to find my passwords!

A bug is defined as something non-intentional. Could even be said to be simply something that happens to you but not everyone else. Do you really think, if *EVERYONE* had this issue, they would continue to use an iPhone?

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

As per the forum rules, no personal attacks, derogatory personal remarks, or rude posts are allowed.

helmania

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

I did apologize somewhere, but that post apparently was not approved. However my woes are over. I read about an app called "CM Security" and it seems to be the real deal, completely gets rid of all clutter. At last my mission is complete.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit