What precautions should I take before switching from old phone to new?

UrSongSucks

May 9, 2014
Visit site
Is there a set list of precautions you guys recommend aside from the sticky about backing up and wiping before I switch from my old, broken iPhone to the new one thats on it's way here today?

My iPhone 5's chassis bent and the accelerometer and both cameras crapped out on me. I just ordered the new one through Asurion but I remember hearing about people who forget to turn off iMessage on an old device and then texting wouldn't work on their new Android and things like that. I know that wouldn't apply but it made me paranoid about what else I should do before sending the damaged phone to them.

I know full well about iCloud back ups, and I also did an iTunes backup. I will most definitely factory reset the thing as well, just not sure what else to look out for.

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
After backing up your iPhone contents to your computer, take the phone and go to >settings > iCloud/ and turn off "find my phone" if it's turned on. Then go to >general >reset > reset all settings/ then after erase all content and settings/
After that, the broken phone should be good to go

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore

Relax you sound knowledgable and performing the right steps

Your iCloud backup will restore your new iPhone to exact specs and settings that you had in your old device it will be like your still using your old phone

iMessage is not a problem going from iPhone to iPhone

No real need to wipe your old device because Apple allows you to sign in to multiple devices at the same time. The only thing you need to load manually is your music and imported videos

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Welcome Ariel and thank you for your input

I welcome you both to go to introductions and tell our great community about your selfs so we can properly meet you both

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I see you need to send back your damaged device after you get your new device set up you can do as Ariel noted or just restore it thru iTunes

UrSongSucks

May 9, 2014
Visit site
Thank you both very much! I went ahead and did as followed. Of course the replacement 5 they sent me must've been refurbished and neither the compass, the parallax, nor the level app work on it at all. It did turn from landscape to portrait, so Im assuming it's some sort of hardware issue. Of course that just means I have to wait another couple days to receive a newer 5C instead. Can't complain I guess