Can Apple virtualize profile(kind of desktop) or apps etc ?

agarwal.apar

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Rather than Touch Id which isn't ground-breaking technology, I would want them to either setup a virtualized application infrastructure or tie-up with Citrix . I will explain myself here -

These days, application(s) is the fad and everyone just wants more and more apps(even though most of the downloaded apps aren't being used) , or like to keep songs/movie on their iPhone/iPad. What Apple can do is.. Along with the ability to download the apps/songs/movies on their devices locally, they should push a certain profile(kind of a desktop) on user's device which will have user's data. So, once user launches his/her customized profile, he would be presented with a certain set of apps etc which he/she would like to use. And all of this would be virtualized, this entire thing is called "application/desktop streaming"

I know that most of the companies have BYOD and user just need to put a Citrix Receiver and they are all set but I am talking about the Apple apps and movie/songs downloaded from iTunes.

As of now Citrix does this, but if Apple brings this to their system, I am sure THIS would again put them leap years forward against their competitors

Let me know your thoughts on this!

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Rather than Touch Id which isn't ground-breaking technology, I would want them to either setup a virtualized application infrastructure or tie-up with Citrix . I will explain myself here -

These days, application(s) is the fad and everyone just wants more and more apps(even though most of the downloaded apps aren't being used) , or like to keep songs/movie on their iPhone/iPad. What Apple can do is.. Along with the ability to download the apps/songs/movies on their devices locally, they should push a certain profile(kind of a desktop) on user's device which will have user's data. So, once user launches his/her customized profile, he would be presented with a certain set of apps etc which he/she would like to use. And all of this would be virtualized, this entire thing is called "application/desktop streaming"

I know that most of the companies have BYOD and user just need to put a Citrix Receiver and they are all set but I am talking about the Apple apps and movie/songs downloaded from iTunes.

As of now Citrix does this, but if Apple brings this to their system, I am sure THIS would again put them leap years forward against their competitors

Let me know your thoughts on this!

I think TouchID is rather groundbreaking. It works nearly perfectly on 7.1.1, and is an improvement over the initial release.

It looks like between XenDesktop and Workspace, that Citrix has your use cases covered. So, not sure why Apple would want to compete with Citrix, VMware, and others in this space.
XenDesktop - Virtual Desktop Delivery - Citrix
Overview - Citrix

agarwal.apar

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Yup, Citrix has this covered. I am a Xendesktop/Xenapp and Vmware engineer :)

I am not saying to compete with Citrix, but this way Apple will be able to introduce something new to their eco-system moreover, it will be a HUGE benefit for end users as they won't be stuck in thinking whether to buy 16, 32 or 64 GB device.

I think TouchID is rather groundbreaking. It works nearly perfectly on 7.1.1, and is an improvement over the initial release.

It looks like between XenDesktop and Workspace, that Citrix has your use cases covered. So, not sure why Apple would want to compete with Citrix, VMware, and others in this space.
XenDesktop - Virtual Desktop Delivery - Citrix
Overview - Citrix

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Cool. What I understand now is that Apple should get into the hosted VDI or DaaS business? Or is the thought to offer cloud based storage that's an iOS level virtual partition that's accessible and available via a symlink? This assues an always available network. Sounds like iCloud could do this if the app and storage features were extended and enhanced.

agarwal.apar

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Yep, they should chip in VDI now. I am sure Samsung is busy with some more gimmicky features which they will introduce in their next flagship while Apple needs to think way forward to stay alive in business. Likes of Tim Cook and Jony Ive know how to make money and design the perfect product but someone in Apple need to propose these solutions. I am sure THIS will be again revolutionary!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW