Wifi: do you turn it off when not connected?

fatfury

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Just curious to see if anyone turns off their wifi when not connected or if you keep it on to let it notify you of a hotspot?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I never turn anything of except for Bluetooth, 'cause I don't use Bluetooth at all.

As I have three external chargers with me all the time, I don't feel like I have to be careful with battery usage
huheqe2u.jpg

2* 2600 mAh and one of 5000 mAh

Last edited:

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I leave mine off if I know I am nowhere near WI-FI so it is not hunting for the signal running the battery down. Only if I am at a Starbucks or place i know there is free WI-FI and I need it I will turn it on and at home all the time.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Just curious to see if anyone turns off their wifi when not connected or if you keep it on to let it notify you of a hotspot?

I never turn off wifi, just "ask to join networks". I don't see any impact on battery life leaving it on all the time. Leaving it on also means location services can also use it to ping for an approximate location when it needs to instead of firing up the GPS all the time.

fatfury

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
I never turn off wifi, just "ask to join networks". I don't see any impact on battery life leaving it on all the time. Leaving it on also means location services can also use it to ping for an approximate location when it needs to instead of firing up the GPS all the time.

I did not know this. So sounds like it would be more battery efficient to keep it on then?

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I usually have either wifi or cellular data on, rarely do I have both on.

Sent from my iPhone 5S or Jailbroken 5th gen iPod Touch using Tapatalk

BeyondtheTech

Jul 2, 2008
Visit site
I leave it on because Apple hasn't given me a way to shut itself up every time it keeps reminding me that Turning Wi-Fi on improves location accuracy.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

williamsbh76

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Most days I turn it off when leaving home. Only one of the buildings I work on has a wifi network that I access (for security reasons) and they block almost everything on that network too. No since wasting that battery power all day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bravesfan007

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I keep mine on so when I go home it automatically picks up the network rather than me remembering to turn it back on. Same way with other places I go.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73