I've been searched (including my car) while driving without a warrant or a reason before. Police also read messages from my cousins iPhone due to the notification lock screen messages. I don't think the cops should have the right to search your car, home or cell phone, without a warrant or reasonable cause but you know what if they really want to they will do it anyways.
    That sucks!! I hate you had to go through that
    05-02-2014 12:51 AM
    Dear god, please tell me this isn't a thing in the States?

There is no way on this green earth I would give anyone the passwords for my phone. If it is a minor traffic stop and doesn't relate to any kind of perceived cellphone use whilst driving (illegal in the UK, not sure about the USA) then they can Foxtrot Oscar.
    There are a lot of states in the USA that prohibit driving while talking on a cell phone. Arkansas recently passed a hands free law but I was talking to a cop last night while driving and a state trooper got behind me and followed me the whole way home but didn't do anything. I usually use my earphones that came with my phone when I'm driving but I forgot them at home yesterday.

As for the cops searching my phone, I don't care. I have nothing to hide. Search my car. Search my phone. I don't care.

If they're trying to prove texting while driving, I don't text and drive for obvious reasons.
    05-05-2014 04:47 PM
    It seriously has nothing to do with what you do not have to hide or not but your right to privacy. Your cell phone contains important and sensitive information and is part of you and should be protected under the law as such as much as any other property. A warrant is a must if a cell phone is to be seized and ordered searched.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums
    Yeah I understand why some would care I was just saying I wouldn't. Lol
    05-07-2014 01:13 AM
    I wouldn't unlock it if I had a pass code. No reason to.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using iMore Forums.
    05-09-2014 11:10 AM
    Well I never heard of this happening in canada (Toronto) but supposedly I heard a police can ask to check your phone at anytime if they feel that they need to, which I disagree with because for most people a persons phone is their privacy and police shouldn't have that right to invade people's privacy specially if it's for no reason

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app
    05-13-2014 10:08 PM
    *UPDATE

'In an unanimous decision, the Court ruled against the Obama administration ' NBC NEWS

The decision came on Wednesday June 25th that the US Supreme Court has ruled that police will need a search warrant to search your cellphone.

Great news that our right to privacy had been upheld!
    pr1nce and kataran like this.
    06-25-2014 12:54 PM
    *UPDATE

'In an unanimous decision, the Court ruled against the Obama administration ' NBC NEWS

The decision came on Wednesday June 25th that the US Supreme Court has ruled that police will need a search warrant to search your cellphone.

Good new indeed...
    pr1nce and Elizabeth2 like this.
    06-25-2014 01:08 PM
    *UPDATE

Great news!
    Elizabeth2 likes this.
    06-25-2014 01:31 PM
    Good deal!

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums
    06-25-2014 01:36 PM
    With the technological advancement of cellphone they are no longer just used in making and receiving phone calls and text messages. They have the capacity to hold enormous amounts of data that you as a cellphone owner have taken responsible steps either required by your employer or by yourself to password protect.

To give your password unwillingly against your better judgement is a violation of your right to privacy.

The ruling today puts a cellphone and it's contents under the protection of the 4th amendment protection against unlawful search and seizure.
    kataran and Just_Me_D like this.
    06-25-2014 02:16 PM
    Can't wait to wave my smartphone is an officers face and say Crunch you can't see it la la la

Disclaimer- this is when I get tazed
    06-25-2014 02:26 PM
    All kidding aside this is a fair and logical ruling and I agree with Elizabeth's statements
    06-25-2014 02:28 PM
    With the technological advancement of cellphone they are no longer just used in making and receiving phone calls and text messages. They have the capacity to hold enormous amounts of data that you as a cellphone owner have taken responsible steps either required by your employer or by yourself to password protect.

To give your password unwillingly against your better judgement is a violation of your right to privacy.

The ruling today puts a cellphone and it's contents under the protection of the 4th amendment protection against unlawful search and seizure.
    'nuf said...
    06-25-2014 02:43 PM
    No they should not.
    06-25-2014 04:37 PM
39 12