Back in 2009, over here in Europe, the mandarins in Brussels decreed that all cell phones should use a common charging solution. Currently it is a 'voluntary standard' but if they get their way they want to make it mandatory for all cell phones sold in Europe to use a common charging socket, probably micro-USB

Interestingly, Apple did sign up to the micro-USB voluntary standard in 2009.

Should this become law and therefore mandatory for all phones sold in Europe to sport the same charging socket, I wonder what this will mean for Apple (and the other phone manufacturers who use their own proprietary charging solution) worldwide? Will they make two phones, one for Europe and one for the rest of the world, much like they do the various iterations of the current line-up with different radio frequencies for different markets, obviously at increased cost, or will they adopt the micro-USB across all their devices going forward?

Interesting point. What are your thoughts?
    donemt likes this.
    04-27-2014 11:40 AM
    Thank you to the kind mod who changed the thread title and corrected my typo.
    pr1nce likes this.
    04-27-2014 11:44 AM
    You're welcome.
    04-27-2014 12:19 PM
    Micro USB phones are everywhere. The only phone that I know that doesn't have one is the iPhone. I don't even understand why that should even be a law...
    04-27-2014 12:25 PM
    Micro USB phones are everywhere. The only phone that I know that doesn't have one is the iPhone. I don't even understand why that should even be a law...
    Whilst a lot of the cell phone manufacturers are moving to a standard charging socket, some still aren't. Up until very recently, so many had their own proprietary solution it was starting to get untenable.

Apple are pretty much the only company now who still use their own proprietary socket. Don't get me wrong, the lightning connector is leaps and bounds ahead of the old 30 pin connector but it does mean I still have to carry two chargers with me when one could suffice (actually three chargers, lightning for iPhone 5, 30 pin for my iPad2 and Micro USB for everything else).

The two links in my first post (detailed again below) provide more information. I realise this is a European thing and most of the forums are based elsewhere and therefore have no interest in this, I just thought it was an interesting question as it could really impact on either Apple's sales numbers in the Euro zone or their overall profits by having to adopt a different charging solution to the one they currently use.

From 2009 - European Union's 'One charger for all' starts sampling, coming this year

From 2014 - EU law to require that all cellphones charge through a common standard
    04-29-2014 04:40 AM
    Doesn't Apple already include the microUSB to lightning adapter in the box in Europe?
    04-29-2014 10:47 AM
    Doesn't Apple already include the lightning to microUSB adapter in the box in Europe?
    Nope. You can but it for 10 I think.
    04-29-2014 10:48 AM
    If they'd share the lightning standard across manufacturers, that'd be great
    04-29-2014 12:07 PM
    If they'd share the lightning standard across manufacturers, that'd be great
    There's no way that'll happen. Apple is very keen on keeping their technology theirs. Remember how Steve said he wanted to destroy Android because it's a blatant ripoff of IOS and the iPhone? Yeah, good luck getting Apple to share their lightning technology.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
    04-29-2014 02:41 PM
    Doesn't Apple already include the microUSB to lightning adapter in the box in Europe?
    I can't answer for the rest of Europe but definitely not in the UK, more's the pity.
    04-29-2014 05:51 PM
    I can't answer for the rest of Europe but definitely not in the UK, more's the pity.
    Thought maybe they were doing this already. If it becomes a requirement in the near future I imagine they would start bundling the adapter with iDevices in the EU.
    04-29-2014 08:46 PM