As the title states, will Apple, at some point in the near future, be forced or will have to seriously consider including a file system on it's i-devices, specifically, the iPad?
    04-22-2014 10:09 AM
    No. Too much issues arise when someone has access to their file system and they have no clue what they're are doing.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    04-22-2014 10:16 AM
    I could see a iCloud based file storage app coming some day....
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    04-22-2014 10:19 AM
    I could see a iCloud based file storage app coming some day....
    I was thinking the same thing - something similar to Dropbox.
    04-22-2014 10:31 AM
    Maybe a "My Documents" folder but that's it.

Sent from my Jailbroken 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    04-22-2014 11:13 AM
    If it was to happen it would most likely be buried in advanced settings requiring a pass code to enable it
    Tartarus and Just_Me_D like this.
    04-22-2014 11:35 AM
    I have to admit to loathing cloud based storage systems with a passion. I only use Dropbox because I got 50Gb free when I bought my Samsung phone and even then I really don't use it that much.

I would much rather a device-based storage solution with a file structure that was accessible to the user so that I could upload/download whatever I want to my device. I wouldn't even mind if the structure took the form of a number of set folders, such as music, files, pictures, videos etc, as long as I could choose what to put on and take off the device whenever I wanted.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    04-22-2014 11:45 AM
    True, but most companies are pushing cloud based now..... I would bet in the next 3-5 years nothing will be local on mobile devices..
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    04-22-2014 11:47 AM
    We all know Apple - Is Apple ever forced to do anything? They will do it or not but never be forced to, Only if it is in their benefit.
    Last edited by Jaguarr40; 04-23-2014 at 02:55 PM.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    04-22-2014 11:57 AM
    I have to admit to loathing cloud based storage systems with a passion. I only use Dropbox because I got 50Gb free when I bought my Samsung phone and even then I really don't use it that much.

I would much rather a device-based storage solution with a file structure that was accessible to the user so that I could upload/download whatever I want to my device. I wouldn't even mind if the structure took the form of a number of set folders, such as music, files, pictures, videos etc, as long as I could choose what to put on and take off the device whenever I wanted.
    Same here. I use Box because I got the app free during the holidays and it came with 50 gb of storage. I do wish there was a better way.

Sent from from my iPhone 5
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    04-22-2014 12:00 PM
    True, but most companies are pushing cloud based now..... I would bet in the next 3-5 years nothing will be local on mobile devices..
    This is not something I look forward to at all

I like cloud services for backup but I prefer to keep my files locally
    04-22-2014 12:00 PM
    Hopefully companies change their ways because I don't see it happening anytime soon
    04-22-2014 12:02 PM
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    No, and This ....
    What baffles me was Apple's decision to 86 iDisk just as DropBox and all the other Cloud based storage systems including their own iCloud came to maturity. W*T*F Apple? ... SMH.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    04-22-2014 12:15 PM
    I don't need one.

What files are everyone trying to manage on their phone? There even any files on mine to manage. I don't even want any files on there that I would have to manage...
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    04-22-2014 12:33 PM
    I don't need one.

What files are everyone trying to manage on their phone? There even any files on mine to manage. I don't even want any files on there that I would have to manage...
    I'm not saying it's needed but I would use it if one was available

I'm the kind of guy that runs his PC thru the windows explorer not the desktop
    04-22-2014 12:48 PM
    I don't need one.

The most common use case I hear of is people want to be able to select multiple documents of different types to attach to an email. Right now you would have to use an app that allowed that and also had access to all the documents.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    04-22-2014 12:53 PM
    Guess I got confused about "file system" and assumed you were referring to root access. Everything is moving to the cloud nowadays
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    04-22-2014 02:59 PM
    Guess I got confused about "file system" and assumed you were referring to root access. Everything is moving to the cloud nowadays
    I understand. There are a lot of people who would like to be able to save and manipulate files directly on the device like you can on a computer or non-Apple device.
    04-22-2014 03:12 PM
    Think it's bound to happen, but agree it will prob be cloud based.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    04-22-2014 03:28 PM
    I would say no, as I don't think it's needed. I do think they should further the "Share" thing though. And allow me to chose where to save Pages/Keynote/Numbers files, as in my device or not. And also allow me to airdrop files between apps and desktop, but let them manage where they save them.
    04-23-2014 01:54 PM
    I hope they do something because no OS file storage is one thing I would really really like.

Even if it is cloud based as long as it's universal to the OS it would be good
    Or even a folder system to store files with out access to ios files would be good also
    As long as you can access it anywhere in the OS to be able to attach files to emails etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    04-23-2014 11:41 PM
    I don't need one.

Excel docs, word docs, spreadsheets, etc. Common files that many people would like to manage without a third party app. Not root access. Just documents. Those are the files. I think it's fine that you don't want files on your phone. It doesn't mean that because you don't want to that there shouldn't be an argument for it to be there. If it was, you simply will have the option not to use it. Lots of people like vegetables. I hate them. With a passion. But I can't go around asking why everyone likes them if I don't. I just don't eat that stuff because I'm not being force-fed it.
    04-24-2014 02:23 AM
    I think this recent article by Rene highlights exactly *why* some sort of native first party file chooser is needed if iOS devices are going to move beyond the 'consumption device' label and be useful for 'real work'. Note, this isn't the same as a file system, which I don't think most people except for those who care about root access care about. Two completely different things.

And just to throw in a couple pre-emptive strikes:

1. No Sean, I'm not just name dropping Rene Ritchie's name here, I share the same frustrations as him, and it's not just Android fanboys who have a legitimate use for native document management (NOT A FILE SYSTEM - there is a difference!).

2. I know that third party options exist. I'm currently using those third party options you're probably about to refer to. However, those third party options are a poor band-aid and an inferior solution to a native first party option.

Article below:
    iOS 8 wants: Better email attachment handling | iMore
    05-02-2014 11:08 AM
    I don't need one.

You may not have any files to manage, and no one is going to force you at gunpoint to manage files that you don't want to manage if the feature is added. Some of us, however, have a real legitimate need for this.

At the risk of sounding snarky, some of us use our iPad for more than just sharing pictures and watching videos. Trying to incorporate any sort of workflow for 'real work' (as the popular phrase goes), is a nightmare without the use of third party apps, which are a poor band aid and an inferior solution compared to a native model.

Just try to reply to an email, and attach a PDF file from a different email. In the quest to make everything super simple and streamlined, Apple's actually made very simple tasks exceedingly complex.
    05-02-2014 11:13 AM
    It be nice if they would at least let you download a app or something. But that would require apple opening up and changing a fair bit of their philosophies first I think. Very hard to do.
    05-02-2014 10:11 PM
33 12