"Multiple analyst estimates predict that Apple will see a year-over-year fall in iPad sales in Q2 2014, with the decline ranging anywhere from 23% to 0.7%. So whats the reason for this fall in sales? Former Apple exec Jean-Louis Gasse thinks that the simplicity of the iPad, and its lack of Pro features is restricting the iPads growth.

Gasse says that the iPads simplicity was a welcome change when it was introduced, and appealed to people who were not familiar with traditional computers, buts its limitations like the lack of filesystem access, side-by-side multitasking etc. has prevented it from being used for real productivity tasks. He argues that the fall in sales is a direct cause of people realising that the iPad isnt ready to replace their PCs and laptops.From Gasses blog:
    The iPad is a computer, it has a file system, directories, and the like why hide these details from users? Why prevent us from hunting around for the bits and bobs we need to assemble a brochure or a trip itinerary?None of this is news to Apple execs, but they also know that success doesnt depend on What, on a simple feature list. The next step in iPad growth will depend on How new features are integrated into the user experience. Its a tricky game of the Best of Both Worldsand it tripped up Microsoft.
    Apples competitors are using these weak spots to their advantage in advertising campaigns and sales pitches, and as users become more familiar with technology, theyll increasingly start hitting roadblocks while doing tasks on the iPad. Gasse highlights plenty of basic, common tasks that are much easier to perform on a Mac than on an iPad. These tasks include making a travel itinerary or writing a blog post involving data from multiple sources.While trying to work on the iPad, I also have experienced these frustrations, where apps arent able to talk to each other, or share data. The Open In menu that does allow sharing of files ends up creating multiple copies of the file in each apps own sandboxed folder, leading to a further mess.Do you agree with Gasses reasoning that the iPad is too limited, and that to grow further, Apple has to add advanced features to the device?

Courtesy: iPhoneHacks

Original Link: iPad sales won't grow unless device gets more "pro" features
    04-21-2014 05:49 PM
    So unless Apple turns the iPad into a tablet like the Microsoft Surface, iPads won't sell anymore?

Sent from my iPhone 5S or Jailbroken 5th gen iPod Touch using Tapatalk
    04-21-2014 06:36 PM
    But the iPad is selling a lot as it is... Its not like its failing or anything.
    ladyc0524 and taz323 like this.
    04-21-2014 06:54 PM
    So unless Apple turns the iPad into a tablet like the Microsoft Surface, iPads won't sell anymore?

Ok this ^ post was badly worded.
    So unless Apple makes the iPad similar to the Microsoft Surface, iPad sales won't grow as much as before.

Just_Me_D likes this.
    04-21-2014 07:55 PM
    So unless Apple makes the iPad similar to the Microsoft Surface, iPad sales won't grow as much as before.

I'd say that with Touch ID, more people would buy it.
    04-21-2014 08:03 PM

Apple's already suing Samsung, they don't want to get sued by Microsoft.
    04-21-2014 08:03 PM
    If ios had some sort of file system that would be great but I don't see people not buying it for that reason
    Sounds like the Verizon people saying I can't talk and browse the web at the same time lol

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    04-21-2014 10:24 PM

(laughing)........Yep, that's the gist of the complaint.
    Kashan Osama likes this.
    04-22-2014 10:06 AM
    I watch so many TV shows and see iPads being used in then. My local news even uses iPads and iPhones on their morning and noon broadcasts and have gone paperless because of them. I just don't see how iPad sales can not continue as they are.
    Kashan Osama likes this.
    04-23-2014 01:57 AM