Another day, another confidential document disclosed in the ongoing Samsung-Apple legal proceedings, but this time what was produced may be the most controversial yet.

In an AppleInsider report on April 16th, regarding emails brought forth as part of the legal proceedings, Samsungs Vice President Michael Pennington decided, after mere days of Steve Jobs death, that it was the perfect time to go for a more aggressive marketing approach against the then-just-launched iPhone 4s and iOS 5.

It was these written statements by Pennington that spurred that seemingly ruthless change of strategy:

Unfortunately, Steve Job's [sic] passing has led to a huge wave of press coverage of Apple's and iPhone's 'superiority,' all created by the 'passionate, tireless, perfectionist...What consumer wouldn't feel great about purchasing a device developed by such a person. Sorry to continue to push this issue, but I have seen this far too long and I know this is our best opportunity to attack iPhone," Pennington had written.

As a consequence, these statements actually initiated Samsungs Chief Marketing Officer Todd Pendleton to leverage the ease in which to switch to Android by deeply debunking Apples ecosystem and services, with personalization features in Android as the primary benefit boasted.

Certainly, it is seen how, as far as Samsungs marketing is concerned, there is no tactic a company cannot pursue in the quest for product superiority.

Source: Samsung email targeted Steve Jobs' death as "our best opportunity to attack iPhone"
    Last edited by Speedygi; 04-20-2014 at 10:08 PM.
    04-20-2014 09:49 PM
    Using someone's death is low. They should be ashamed. Then again, Samsung also makes weapons.
    04-20-2014 09:52 PM
    Using someone's death is low. They should be ashamed. Then again, Samsung also makes weapons.
    What weapons?
    04-20-2014 10:15 PM
    What weapons?
    They're also a full time Korean weapons manufacturer. Samsung Techwin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Speedygi likes this.
    04-20-2014 10:53 PM
    They're also a full time Korean weapons manufacturer. Samsung Techwin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Cool. I didn't know this...
    04-20-2014 11:04 PM
    That is so wrong.
    04-20-2014 11:04 PM
    Cool. I didn't know this...
    I started understanding the aggressive advertising after reading this a few years ago.
    Speedygi likes this.
    04-20-2014 11:10 PM
    I'm sorry, but I don't find this to be that bad. Of course they were going to start more attacks. Even within mere days of his passing. With all that press coverage, Samsung did stand to lose some business. That's all this is. Business. Based on that email, Pennington didn't have something personal against Steve Jobs. These are insider emails. The only difference between this happening now or like 25 years ago is that it would be open for the public to eventually see. Stuff like this goes on and always has.
    04-21-2014 01:18 PM
    Honestly, this is just businesses doing business things.
    donemt and Speedygi like this.
    04-21-2014 05:31 PM
    Honestly, this is just businesses doing business things.
    Then why can't I help thinking that Apple would handle the passing of a rival's CEO with more grace and class?
    04-22-2014 08:15 AM
    This was one individual at Samsung making a tactless remark in an email. Let's not crucify Samsung for that one person's insensitivity. What company doesn't have a resident i***t?

Sent from from my iPhone 5
    04-22-2014 08:27 AM
    This was one individual at Samsung making a tactless remark in an email. Let's not crucify Samsung for that one person's insensitivity. What company doesn't have a resident i***t?

I feel like if all it took was one person then they're pretty much seeking validation for why they don't like a company
    04-22-2014 08:48 AM
    Then why can't I help thinking that Apple would handle the passing of a rival's CEO with more grace and class?
    It would be meaningless, no one knows who the hell he is.
    04-22-2014 11:31 AM
    Ever watch shark tank?

It all comes down to $$$$$
    04-22-2014 11:32 AM
    You have to consider this was a private email that was brought to light in court. It was not a public statement. A fly on a computer at Apple may have seen no telling what on a private email.

Speedygi likes this.
    04-22-2014 11:48 AM
    Interesting. They saw an opportunity and went for it. I don't hold it against them- all's fair in love and business. The onus of stopping this was on the customers not to "fall for it", not for Samsung not to try this tactic
    04-22-2014 12:42 PM
    Because Apple wouldn't be in the same position to try and beat another rival company in marketing. I bet you if Apple was in Samsung's position, there would have been a couple of emails like that floating around. Apple isn't the all moral high and mighty of the world.
    04-22-2014 01:54 PM
    Ever watch shark tank?

It all comes down to $$$$$
    Yeah.
    04-22-2014 03:47 PM
    I'm sorry, but I don't find this to be that bad. Of course they were going to start more attacks. Even within mere days of his passing. With all that press coverage, Samsung did stand to lose some business. That's all this is. Business. Based on that email, Pennington didn't have something personal against Steve Jobs. These are insider emails. The only difference between this happening now or like 25 years ago is that it would be open for the public to eventually see. Stuff like this goes on and always has.
    I don't understand about losing business. Who buys a device because the CEO of the company died?
    04-22-2014 03:49 PM
    I guess it is the sense of one company losing it's power......
    Speedygi likes this.
    04-22-2014 03:52 PM
    I don't understand about losing business. Who buys a device because the CEO of the company died?
    The statement he made in that email about people wanting to buy products from someone who was held in high regard is plausible to me. I could see how people wanted to buy Apple products after hearing of his death and reading up on him given the sensationalism on media stories nowadays.
    04-22-2014 04:09 PM