Samsung deemed Steve Jobs? death to be the best time to go against iPhone

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Another day, another confidential document disclosed in the ongoing Samsung-Apple legal proceedings, but this time what was produced may be the most controversial yet.

In an AppleInsider report on April 16th, regarding emails brought forth as part of the legal proceedings, Samsung?s Vice President Michael Pennington decided, after mere days of Steve Jobs? death, that it was the perfect time to go for a more aggressive marketing approach against the then-just-launched iPhone 4s and iOS 5.

It was these written statements by Pennington that spurred that seemingly ruthless change of strategy:

?Unfortunately, Steve Job's [sic] passing has led to a huge wave of press coverage of Apple's and iPhone's 'superiority,' all created by the 'passionate, tireless, perfectionist...What consumer wouldn't feel great about purchasing a device developed by such a person. Sorry to continue to push this issue, but I have seen this far too long and I know this is our best opportunity to attack iPhone," Pennington had written.

As a consequence, these statements actually initiated Samsung?s Chief Marketing Officer Todd Pendleton to leverage the ease in which to switch to Android by deeply debunking Apple?s ecosystem and services, with personalization features in Android as the primary benefit boasted.

Certainly, it is seen how, as far as Samsung?s marketing is concerned, there is no tactic a company cannot pursue in the quest for product superiority.

Source: Samsung email targeted Steve Jobs' death as "our best opportunity to attack iPhone"

Last edited:

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Samsung deemed Steve Jobs? death as the best time to go against iPhone

Using someone's death is low. They should be ashamed. Then again, Samsung also makes weapons.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Re: Samsung deemed Steve Jobs? death as the best time to go against iPhone

I'm sorry, but I don't find this to be that bad. Of course they were going to start more attacks. Even within mere days of his passing. With all that press coverage, Samsung did stand to lose some business. That's all this is. Business. Based on that email, Pennington didn't have something personal against Steve Jobs. These are insider emails. The only difference between this happening now or like 25 years ago is that it would be open for the public to eventually see. Stuff like this goes on and always has.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
This was one individual at Samsung making a tactless remark in an email. Let's not crucify Samsung for that one person's insensitivity. What company doesn't have a resident i***t?

Sent from from my iPhone 5

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
This was one individual at Samsung making a tactless remark in an email. Let's not crucify Samsung for that one person's insensitivity. What company doesn't have a resident i***t?

I feel like if all it took was one person then they're pretty much seeking validation for why they don't like a company

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Then why can't I help thinking that Apple would handle the passing of a rival's CEO with more grace and class?

You have to consider this was a private email that was brought to light in court. It was not a public statement. A fly on a computer at Apple may have seen no telling what on a private email.

EauRouge

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Interesting. They saw an opportunity and went for it. I don't hold it against them- all's fair in love and business. The onus of stopping this was on the customers not to "fall for it", not for Samsung not to try this tactic

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Then why can't I help thinking that Apple would handle the passing of a rival's CEO with more grace and class?

Because Apple wouldn't be in the same position to try and beat another rival company in marketing. I bet you if Apple was in Samsung's position, there would have been a couple of emails like that floating around. Apple isn't the all moral high and mighty of the world.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

I'm sorry, but I don't find this to be that bad. Of course they were going to start more attacks. Even within mere days of his passing. With all that press coverage, Samsung did stand to lose some business. That's all this is. Business. Based on that email, Pennington didn't have something personal against Steve Jobs. These are insider emails. The only difference between this happening now or like 25 years ago is that it would be open for the public to eventually see. Stuff like this goes on and always has.

I don't understand about losing business. Who buys a device because the CEO of the company died?

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site

I guess it is the sense of one company losing it's power......

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2