I opened the box containing my brand new iPhone 5S and found it stuffed with paper.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
i'm thinking an apple factory worker might've pocketed the phone.Then shoving the paper inside the box to bring up the weight of the box.

I think it's safe to say that would never happen, those workers are under such tight security. If caught they would immediately be taken out, beaten, and then shot. Then the Chinese police would come, and shoot them again just to drive home the message ... :straight-face:

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
From big w.Like a kmart wallmart type of store.It was fully sealed with plastic still on.Unless someone can reseal it i'm thinking an apple factory worker might've pocketed the phone.Then shoving the paper inside the box to bring up the weight of the box.

Doubtful because the paper would have been written in Chinese and the OP never mentioned that

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I think it's safe to say that would never happen, those workers are under such tight security. If caught they would immediately be taken out, beaten, and then shot. Then the Chinese police would come, and shoot them again just to drive home the message ... :straight-face:

Well if this is the case wouldn't the OP find the body of the worker in the box itself😉

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
You are definitely taking this incredibly well.

I always try to take something positive from every problem and what i've learnt from this is to open the box in the store in front of the sales rep before leaving.

I hope you get this sorted soon.

mwboost

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Unless it was taken somewhere in the delivery process.Just blank A4 paper cut to fit in the box.
Another bad thing about this is this is giving me more time to look at all different phones lol.

I've been back and forth between iphone and samsung for years. Can anyone tell me have they put the newer galaxies side by side with a 5s and looked at screen quality?

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I've seen the G3 side by side and the older iphone 4 had a better quality in my opinion

Please keep us informed on your situation we are hoping for a quick resolve on your issue and feel for your plite even if you decide on a different device we hope to continue conversing with you in the future

People like you are rare and sort after here and in real life. I mean that 😊

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I heard this happen in the past with UPS or one of the shipping companies. It sucks that this happens and I hope that you get your money back and can get a new, real iPhone this time.

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Something similar was happening with iPads a couple Christmas' ago here in Vancouver. People were buying iPads, replacing it with a slab of clay, re-shrink wrapping the box, then returning it. They'd then turn around and sell the iPad.

mwboost

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Cheers all. I'm really ticked off but just trying to keep my cool. I'm meant to be contacted tomorrow morining.I'll just ring them first thing instead.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
We would always open the box, instal the battery, fire up the phone, and check for defects before the customer left the store. We also would do the same with laptops. It was good customer service and would have prevent the issue the OP is having.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
We would always open the box, instal the battery, fire up the phone, and check for defects before the customer left the store. We also would do the same with laptops. It was good customer service and would have prevent the issue the OP is having.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

They probably just can't wait to be rid of me.

mwboost

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
So i called them up this morning. The phone has been disabled. They could'nt or were'nt allowed to tell me what happened to it. :-S
Anyways i was offered another one or refund.I ended up going for a refund. My options are now a 5S or S5.I like both ios and android equally but at this time i think i prefer the S5. Just the customizing and more options.

I figured the 5S must of been taken before it got into Aus. As everything was taken but not the charger. As they did not want charger becuase it was'nt for there country.