Why iOS doesn't have a file manager ?(O dear i know it is old)

Kashan Osama

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I do agree with that "design philosophy" though,and the fact that most people are fine with it...but not on every other flinging logic...rant over thankyou *starts using iphonr again* :D :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
Yep i was thinking the same,i think iOS isn't meant to be for my liking...but still there are few general things which i will always be ridiculed about apple's approach...

Atleast modern androids with 2gb rams and kitkat have reached the slickness and smoothness of ios...though that was not the case 2 years back...even till late 2012...it is only after jellybean things have changed drastically...though android offers zero security..at this time it is a better bet than wp/bb...and yes apps do really matter,i have learned that from iOS's apps...they are not dumb they seriously matter....and wp's app quality is well below par,so as bb's...so android it is...

Plot twist: *continuous with installing pro widgets and auxo* :D:D:D

Yea I believe for all the bells and whistles people should move to Android. Apple seems to release features when they feel it is safe and integrates seamlessly with their operating system. Therefore using iOS you tend to wait an extra year for the latest and greatest technologies while android users get them right away. There are pros and cons here. I like the way Apple does it. I get a great device with minor hiccups. Everything also works as intended until age eventually catches all these devices now days.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
And "Apple doesn't want you to have it...seriously????

It's true. If they want us to have that, they'll give it to us in a limited fashion how I described. Apple really has no need for us to be able to fiddle around with the OS and it's file system. It's a cliche now, but, that's what Android is for.

Kashan Osama

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
It's true. If they want us to have that, they'll give it to us in a limited fashion how I described. Apple really has no need for us to be able to fiddle around with the OS and it's file system. It's a cliche now, but, that's what Android is for.

But...i am not demanding root access:(just an innocent file-manager...viruses/malwares always require themselves to execute from root permission or AppStore..in this case nothing will be affected imho...and even to a grea extent it would be mostly like those old sd card viruses...that only got detected when we connected the sd card via a pc...

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
By the way, something else that has become a cliche when it comes to this. Just use Dropbox (or insert whatever app you use). Just a couple of extra steps and suffices for me in the meanwhile.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I mean Idk what bothered you with my complain,Can't I complain if I have invested in Apple,I am not blaming but just complaining man...Things do incur to one at a later stage....

It is ridiculous to say that Apple doesn't want you to have it period...and yes this logic of yours,it ain't logic and purely rhetoric...it is shutting one's mouth up...I am not complaining for the sake of complaining,Apple could have it without compromising that so-called security.... I don't know how to answers this ridiculousness,give what logic you can to defend Apple/iOS,I won't do that...

It's not ridiculous to say that...it's just the truth bud. You can complain all you want, and I'll make sure to respond to it in like fashion. You're upset about something that isn't in Apple's feature philosophy. Sitting there and trying to convince everyone that it is something that has to be added to the device to make you happy is a completely irrelevant activity to most people because honestly, a vast majority of iPhone users don't need and don't care about the file system manager. Bottom line, it's just silly...like complaining that IMAX cameras aren't developed at a more consumer cost level...or that Ferrari doesn't offer a line of salad dressings.

Kashan Osama

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
It's not ridiculous to say that...it's just the truth bud. You can complain all you want, and I'll make sure to respond to it in like fashion. You're upset about something that isn't in Apple's feature philosophy. Sitting there and trying to convince everyone that it is something that has to be added to the device to make you happy is a completely irrelevant activity to most people because honestly, a vast majority of iPhone users don't need and don't care about the file system manager. Bottom line, it's just silly...like complaining that IMAX cameras aren't developed at a more consumer cost level...or that Ferrari doesn't offer a line of salad dressings.

[h=1]“people don't know what they want until you show it to them.”..[/h]

well those last two arguments were too much of a stretch,a file manager isn't like complaining about iMAX cameras etc...don't stretch your analogies too much...

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I knew coming in that I would be missing a file manager with iPhones, and if I wanted it I would have gone with Android, but I like Apple's offerings currently so I have no issue.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
What files are everyone trying to manage on their iPhone with a file browser? I don't get it.

This is the best part of the whole discussion...the OP (and people like him) will answer that they just want a basic file system manager, except that is NOT what they want. If Apple were to introduce a native file system management ability, the whining and complaining would then move to a deeper access. It would not stop until you had root access similar to what you find on Android devices or through a jailbreak.

The hilarious part is that if there are some people who truly do want a simple file system manager...they can EASILY access one, but no...they want Apple to give it to you. They want Apple to hand you this file system manager on a silver platter and give you the keys to the vault. It's so asinine!

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
This is the best part of the whole discussion...the OP (and people like him) will answer that they just want a basic file system manager, except that is NOT what they want. If Apple were to introduce a native file system management ability, the whining and complaining would then move to a deeper access. It would not stop until you had root access similar to what you find on Android devices or through a jailbreak.

The hilarious part is that if there are some people who truly do want a simple file system manager...they can EASILY access one, but no...they want Apple to give it to you. They want Apple to hand you this file system manager on a silver platter and give you the keys to the vault. It's so asinine!

Why is this hilarious, unless you're trying to be snarky for snark's sake? I think you're assuming to much, to be honest. Even Rene Ritchie has stated how badly he wants a files.app functionality in iOS. Not so he can get full root access, but so he can store and transfer non-photo files between different apps. I want the exact same thing. Something as simple as uploading a resume to a job site in an iOS browser is impossible with the current setup.

I don't want a full file system manager, I just want to be able to store documents in their own local container (like photos.app) and use documents between apps like I can use photos now. That's all. I'm honestly surprised that this hasn't become a feature yet, and it's a simple thing like this where Android has a legitimate advantage, IMHO.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It's hilarious because what you're asking for is NOT the real reason this file system access and management is pushed for so often...this is clear from the kinds of things you find within the android community and their rooting adventures. Let's be real here...the entire desire is a niche...the people who want it to do like you said (and other small, convenience based functions) is a niche of a niche.

People act as if there is no option on the iPhone to perform such tasks...and this is what is funny to me. People want a native function instead of using these very common work arounds. And while there's nothing wrong with an opinion or desire (for instance, I'd like the iPhone to be water proof or at least similar to what the Samsung "Active" line offers), but in the case you're describing, you have options, and ones that are really quite effortless if I'm honest.

The dark side of a file management system (even a simple one) is what everyone likes to skip over...people like to focus on the productivity and good it will do for them, but they forget that these things bring with them a very wide opportunity for exploits (and ones that can be difficult to impossible to control because of what a access like this really allows to the OS itself).

I'll be honest with you...you can name drop Rene Ritchie all day long, I could personally care less, he's just a person in the world with an opinion (not unlike myself or you). The reality is that even if hundreds of thousands of people out there wanted this feature...hell, even a million of them...in the end, they're going to cater to the majority, and within that, the majority prefers a clean, safe and protected file system...Apple knows this, and they base their feature philosophy on this safety net, which in turn keeps so so many people in their pocket. Why would they just up and change it because a niche of the market complains that "Android has a legitimate advantage"? What value is there in an advantage when Apple leads the pack in sales and customer satisfaction?

And here's the kicker...I wouldn't mind a file system manager either. I think there are a few things that could become more fluid with that functionality...but there's no way I'd trade off what I have come to love about iOS just for that small convenience factor.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
It's hilarious because what you're asking for is NOT the real reason this file system access and management is pushed for so often...this is clear from the kinds of things you find within the android community and their rooting adventures.

Fair point. But not everyone wants full file manager access for root level permission, as I mentioned above.

Let's be real here...the entire desire is a niche...the people who want it to do like you said (and other small, convenience based functions) is a niche of a niche.

I honestly think the era of a phone/tablet being a pure consumption device is slowly passing, especially for the iPad. I don't think it's as niche as you think, especially with more enterprises using iPads at work.

People act as if there is no option on the iPhone to perform such tasks...and this is what is funny to me. People want a native function instead of using these very common work arounds. And while there's nothing wrong with an opinion or desire (for instance, I'd like the iPhone to be water proof or at least similar to what the Samsung "Active" line offers), but in the case you're describing, you have options, and ones that are really quite effortless if I'm honest.

Options, yes. Effortless....ehhh. Speaking from personal experience, getting them to work fluidly has been a ham-fisted experience. Just last week I was trying to figure out how to be able to upload a MS Word file on a website from cloud storage, being that Safari only looks at photos. Tried using Readdle's Documents web browser and also Mercury browser (which was said to have Dropbox integration), but they both only looked to photos for uploading files. Coincidentally, iMore ran an article just today about different web browsers, looks like iCab has this functionality so I'll try that out next. Nevertheless, a native files.app would make the process a whole metric-ton easier.

The dark side of a file management system (even a simple one) is what everyone likes to skip over...people like to focus on the productivity and good it will do for them, but they forget that these things bring with them a very wide opportunity for exploits (and ones that can be difficult to impossible to control because of what a access like this really allows to the OS itself).

I agree, but the Mac does just fine hosting local files without being an infection prone target. I'm sure Apple could find a way to keep files 'contained' so they couldn't get into other parts of the OS they don't need to. Also, I'm in support of a files.app container, not a file system. Big difference.

I'll be honest with you...you can name drop Rene Ritchie all day long, I could personally care less, he's just a person in the world with an opinion (not unlike myself or you).

The only reason I 'name dropped' Rene was to point out that it's not just Android fanboys who want this functionality.

And here's the kicker...I wouldn't mind a file system manager either. I think there are a few things that could become more fluid with that functionality...but there's no way I'd trade off what I have come to love about iOS just for that small convenience factor.

I'm not leaving iOS over this feature (or lack thereof) either. That being said, I think that some sort of a solution needs to come about eventually. Maybe iCloud will eventually have file storage capabilities (not just iWork documents) to fill this role. Who knows? Didn't Mobile Me used to have similar functionality (this was before I was into Apple products)?

Last edited:

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
You know, I just realized that if Chrome for iOS let you use Google Drive for uploading/downloading capabilities, then almost all of my gripes would be taken care of. Come to think of it, Gmail for iOS can't tap into Drive either. I have to use Mailbox with it tied into my Dropbox account in order to have any file management access with my Google email account....ironic. You'd think that Google would let their own apps use their own cloud storage service for file management purposes. It's crazy.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
What files are everyone trying to manage on their iPhone with a file browser? I don't get it.

Basically anything that I use Dropbox for. PDF's, Excel docs, etc. I don't want a file browser though. Not even trying to manage them, lol. Just so that my files can be saved to a "File Roll" so to speak like a camera roll. Hell, I wouldn't even care if they were able to be viewed on the iDevice itself. Just a way to quickly attach something and eliminate the workarounds that I already use to get sh*t done quicker. Whoever wants an actual file browser on the iPhone needs to either jailbreak and take what comes along with that or just go Android. That said, if it doesn't happen, I'll still live and breathe the same way I've done without a files.app