Why Are Apple Computers So Much More Expensive Than PCs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
The 5c is expensive? 'Expensive' is a rather subjective term.

Oh my gosh exactly. I bought mine for $400. My Note 3? It was exactly DOUBLE that.

My coworker just bought a 5c for AT&T for $250 from someone. It was in mint condition.

?Sent from a larger than life device. Using Tapatalk?

BBFunGuy

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
The one thing setting them apart is the OS.

With regards to your arguments concerning aesthetics, or anything else consider:

I was trying to decide which method of transport to buy. A car, or a bike. Chose the bike because I preferred how it looked, and the parts are made from better quality materials.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
The one thing setting them apart is the OS.

With regards to your arguments concerning aesthetics, or anything else consider:

I was trying to decide which method of transport to buy. A car, or a bike. Chose the bike because I preferred how it looked, and the parts are made from better quality materials.

I think I've missed your correlation between the two. I'd think a better comparison would be between two different car manufactures. Not between a car and a bike.

A car is a mechanically driven vessel where a bike is a human driven one. They have cars that can drive themselves whereas that isn't possible with a bike.

I think a Mac to PC comparison isn't like apples to oranges as a car is to a bike. I think for me a Mac is like a BMW/Mercedes/etc and a PC is like a Kia/Hyundai/etc. Both will get the job done, one just may do so with more style, reliability, and with less depreciation in the long run.

abazigal

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I guess the real question is - expensive relative to what? Pit a Mac against another PC of equivalent specs and build and you will probably find that the price difference isn't really that much. Take the iMac for example. That 27" IPS 2k monitor with integrated speakers and webcam easily costs half the price of the computer, so people who claim they can build an equivalent computer for less are likely flat-out lying.

Or take the 2013 Mac Pro, which can actually be cheaper than an equivalently spec'd workstation.

Also, I find that Apple products generally cause me fewer problems, so I expect an extra outlay to quickly pay for itself in the form of better productivity and fewer problems overall.

So all in all, for the quality I am getting, I don't really feel I am really paying any more compared to the next best alternative.

BBFunGuy

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I think I've missed your correlation between the two. I'd think a better comparison would be between two different car manufactures. Not between a car and a bike.

A car is a mechanically driven vessel where a bike is a human driven one. They have cars that can drive themselves whereas that isn't possible with a bike.

I think a Mac to PC comparison isn't like apples to oranges as a car is to a bike. I think for me a Mac is like a BMW/Mercedes/etc and a PC is like a Kia/Hyundai/etc. Both will get the job done, one just may do so with more style, reliability, and with less depreciation in the long run.

Think it is because you see a difference between a PC and Mac, other than the operating system. Expensive 'windows laptops' also hold their value well.

A PC or Mac can both do graphic design, or word-processing, but the journey to that destination is made different by the OS, which is more expensive to produce than a piece of milled aluminium.

Wow, you have owned all those cars! Good for you.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Think it is because you see a difference between a PC and Mac, other than the operating system. Expensive 'windows laptops' also hold their value well.

A PC or Mac can both do graphic design, or word-processing, but the journey to that destination is made different by the OS, which is more expensive to produce than a piece of milled aluminium.

Wow, you have owned all those cars! Good for you.

I have not owned all those cars, however being related to ASE certified mechanics does help me with product knowledge. Not to mention having them as friends and being pushed into changing my own oil too. Basic learning such as a Chilton manual can even tell you differences in quality of car parts.

Anyways, if you compare the quality of parts, performance, and longevity there are easy ways to gauge worth. For example; Look at the resale of a Mac VS a PC with similar specs and year of release, See the monetary effect? Same with cars. You'll never see any Kia/Hyundai/etc with exact specs across the board go for resale that a BMW/Mercedes/etc will.

u9e2e9us.jpg

a8uma8u2.jpg

7upypu5a.jpg

nasure2u.jpg

This is even giving the Kia slightly BETTER specs! I'm pretty sure this is the most accurate comparison table between car models and computer models.

?Sent from the colored one using Tapatalk?

BBFunGuy

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I am still far from conceding that iPCs are more expensive due to their zazziness. For me, two brands of car being manufactured from the same parts, and then being sold by different companies would be more accurate, which is why I used the curious bike/ car analogy, hoping that someone would draw an entirely car-focused analogy, such as yours, allowing me to present the lengthy riposte you now read.

Your impressive use of the internet to push colourful( audience) images into my face is compelling, the notion that it is enough to bend me at once to your will, misguided. The argument you made lacks an easily readable format. Whatever hypnotic suggestions, and spells, contained within the text did not reach me, as it was too tricky to compare fields.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I am still far from conceding that iPCs are more expensive due to their zazziness. For me, two brands of car being manufactured from the same parts, and then being sold by different companies would be more accurate, which is why I used the curious bike/ car analogy, hoping that someone would draw an entirely car-focused analogy, such as yours, allowing me to present the lengthy riposte you now read.

Your impressive use of the internet to push colourful( audience) images into my face is compelling, the notion that it is enough to bend me at once to your will, misguided. The argument you made lacks an easily readable format. Whatever hypnotic suggestions, and spells, contained within the text did not reach me, as it was too tricky to compare fields.

Be careful. Amongst all her vast knowledge and other skills, Ms. Rain knows magic...even dark magic...and if you're not careful she may turn your *** into a frog. 😜

Sent from 4 f IV 🔘

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Be careful. Amongst all her vast knowledge and other skills, Ms. Rain knows magic...even dark magic...and if you're not careful she may turn your *** into a frog. 😜

Sent from 4 f IV 🔘

OMG. I just died of laugher! You sir, Are positively excellent at well timed jokes. Though I do have some magic...

The magic to juggle all my devices without losing any. LOL

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I custom build my pcs. They are ugly but functional and stable. I tried using a mac on several occasions and to me it's like driving on the "wrong" side of the road in the UK. Apple builds beautiful products, however I'm a windows person. I bought an iphone but imo, PCs rule.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
It can take a little adjustment getting used to a Mac but once you adjust it's a beautiful thing.

Sent from 1 f IV 🔘

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I custom build my pcs. They are ugly but functional and stable. I tried using a mac on several occasions and to me it's like driving on the "wrong" side of the road in the UK. Apple builds beautiful products, however I'm a windows person. I bought an iphone but imo, PCs rule.

That's what I'm worried about. Adjustment to the way they have desktop set up. Of course I think that learning a Mac would be a bit like learning Windows 8. No regular start menu... I didn't realize how much I leaned on that feature.

I'd heard there is a start menu back on Windows 8? Omg! I'm not doomed after all!

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/141702-how-to-bring-the-start-menu-and-button-back-to-windows-8

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
That's what I'm worried about. Adjustment to the way they have desktop set up. Of course I think that learning a Mac would be a bit like learning Windows 8. No regular start menu... I didn't realize how much I leaned on that feature.

I'd heard there is a start menu back on Windows 8? Omg! I'm not doomed after all!

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/141702-how-to-bring-the-start-menu-and-button-back-to-windows-8

I think for you learning a Mac would be like learning how to breath or blink. If you can use Windows I think using OS X is would come naturally and you'd be delighted with how easy things are. Just my opinion.

Sent from 1 f IV 🔘

goku_vegeta

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
An equivalent quality Windows PC will cost nearly the same.

Not necessarily. Dell computers, desktops and laptops alike, are built well, especially the XPS series.

Also, Toshiba laptops are built quite well. All at a much lower price point than a similarly speced Mac. I believe the reason for the "Apple tax" as it has been dubbed, is really how Apple operates their business, it's based on hardware sales and margins.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Not necessarily. Dell computers, desktops and laptops alike, are built well, especially the XPS series.

Also, Toshiba laptops are built quite well. All at a much lower price point than a similarly speced Mac. I believe the reason for the "Apple tax" as it has been dubbed, is really how Apple operates their business, it's based on hardware sales and margins.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk

It's also not just about the CPU, RAM, SSDs, graphics cards, and OSes. I can't think of any other computer that looks like an iMac or a Mac Pro. Most all-in-one designs are plasticy. ...though there have been some MacBook Pro/Air copies. Whether or not the thoughtful design of Apple computers is of value to you is, of course, subjective. The Mac Pro? Like it or not its unique and the design is thoughtful...not just another rectangular box.

Sent from my MF003LL/A 🔘

Dustin Moretz

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
The best or nothing? You must be joking right XD. The baseline Macbook air costs $900, has a dual core i5 with a base clock of 1.3, thats lower than the i5 in my $450 pc, yes its turbo clocked but still, 2.7 Ghz. It has 4GB of ram, integrated graphics and 128GB SSD. Yes its an SSD, no that does not make a computer insanely expensive,look up some prices. I love the look of OS X, but its too limiting and they charge you up the *** for it, honestly I could get the same computer running Windows for $500. For $900 I'd expect something better than petty integrated graphics

Dustin Moretz

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
A computer is a tool, not a fashion accessory; and you say most all in one designs are plastic-like? have you seen the HP Sprout? the MSI AG270? I personally don't buy desktops from any company because they are all rip offs but apple takes the cake for most overpriced, I make them but when it comes to a laptop I'd take a quality ROG laptop over any mac because they aren't limited hardware-wise and they too like apple have good support,better to be honest. Apple is overpriced and they have a limited OS, yes they do that on purpose because its aimed at people who don't know how to service their own computers but honestly if you don't know how to fix your computer you shouldn't be buying a computer that costs more than $400

Status
Not open for further replies.