To me the biggest thing is the customer service. If I have a problem I can go to my local Apple store and speak with someone that knows what they are doing. I don't have to call a customer service number just to be told to reboot by someone that I can't understand.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums
    03-31-2014 09:36 PM
    They're expensive because we will pay a premium. They charge us because they can get away with it and also because of the quality.
    thatgirl87 likes this.
    04-01-2014 12:25 AM
    They're expensive because we will pay a premium. They charge us because they can get away with it and also because of the quality.
    There was a time when customers understood that with patience and unity, they could dictate prices.
    anon(73368) likes this.
    04-01-2014 09:43 AM
    You've got to be kidding! Do you really believe that?
    04-04-2014 10:16 AM
    You've got to be kidding! Do you really believe that?
    To whom are you replying?
    04-04-2014 10:33 AM
    I love the quality and integration of Apple computers. There's a premium to be payed but IMO it's worth it.

Sent from my MF003LL/A 🔘
    04-04-2014 10:42 AM
    Brand name fee
    You might be right--at least partially--with this... $$$
    04-04-2014 05:22 PM
    When my Dell finally got too old, and I needed another computer, I got the mid 2012 MacBook Pro. It does what I want, and is fast as the day I bought it. I have no problems with it. It it actually more powerful than the Dell desktop. The learning curve was very easy to switch from windows. I guess you get what you pay for is true. It is worth the price.
    Haalcyon likes this.
    04-04-2014 06:27 PM
    One thing about Laptops is that they last a good long time too, definitely longer than how long a Smartphone might be used by someone. This gives more time to enjoy a higher priced purchase than anything else.
    04-05-2014 12:31 AM
    One thing about Laptops is that they last a good long time too, definitely longer than how long a Smartphone might be used by someone. This gives more time to enjoy a higher priced purchase than anything else.
    Very very true indeed.

Sent from my ME308LL/A ⚫️
    04-05-2014 12:35 AM
    Apple builds devices with high quality materials and hardware, a lot of Windows computers are made of cheap plastic, that are unreliable and break down over time. Apple products do not tend to have this same problem

04-05-2014 01:26 AM
    All plastic, breaks down over time, even( or may be even especially, perhaps there should be research done, time enought to post, time enough to learn) the i5c. A lot of Windows computers are not made out of plastic, as they are typically metal based. Please do not make iMore a hub of misinformation.
    04-05-2014 09:32 AM
    All plastic, breaks down over time, even( or may be even especially, perhaps there should be research done, time enought to post, time enough to learn) the i5c. A lot of Windows computers are not made out of plastic, as they are typically metal based. Please do not make iMore a hub of misinformation.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to give inaccurate information, I was more referring to laptops in the past, as I have an old windows laptop that appears plastic based.

04-05-2014 07:27 PM
    I don't think it is inaccurate to say that most Windows laptops sold today have plastic chassis' and not a chassis made from aluminum or magnesium (or some other desirable metal). However, like Macbooks, metal chassised Windows laptops tend to cost more, you have to pay to play.

Sent from my LG-V5OO (my other tablets are iPads) 📱
    DanielSwanborough likes this.
    04-05-2014 07:32 PM
    I don't think it is inaccurate to say that most Windows laptops sold today have plastic chassis' and not a chassis made from aluminum or magnesium (or some other desirable metal). However, like Macbooks, metal chassised Windows laptops tend to cost more, you have to pay to play.

Sent from my LG-V5OO (my other tablets are iPads) 📱
    Thanks! I didn't think I was completely wrong!

04-05-2014 07:34 PM
    You just generalised, but why is i5c expensive then? Can you see the point you have made about plastic is invalidated by that, even discounting than you meant laptops.
    04-06-2014 08:14 AM
    You just generalised, but why is i5c expensive then? Can you see the point you have made about plastic is invalidated by that, even discounting than you meant laptops.
    The 5c is expensive? 'Expensive' is a rather subjective term.
    iOS Gravity likes this.
    04-06-2014 08:35 AM
    The 5c is expensive? 'Expensive' is a rather subjective term.
    Oh my gosh exactly. I bought mine for $400. My Note 3? It was exactly DOUBLE that.

My coworker just bought a 5c for AT&T for $250 from someone. It was in mint condition.

Sent from a larger than life device. Using Tapatalk
    Haalcyon likes this.
    04-06-2014 10:55 AM
    OP:

Why Are Apple Computers So Much More Expensive Than PCs?

04-06-2014 12:29 PM
    The one thing setting them apart is the OS.

With regards to your arguments concerning aesthetics, or anything else consider:

I was trying to decide which method of transport to buy. A car, or a bike. Chose the bike because I preferred how it looked, and the parts are made from better quality materials.
    04-06-2014 04:40 PM
    The one thing setting them apart is the OS.

With regards to your arguments concerning aesthetics, or anything else consider:

I was trying to decide which method of transport to buy. A car, or a bike. Chose the bike because I preferred how it looked, and the parts are made from better quality materials.
    I think I've missed your correlation between the two. I'd think a better comparison would be between two different car manufactures. Not between a car and a bike.

A car is a mechanically driven vessel where a bike is a human driven one. They have cars that can drive themselves whereas that isn't possible with a bike.

I think a Mac to PC comparison isn't like apples to oranges as a car is to a bike. I think for me a Mac is like a BMW/Mercedes/etc and a PC is like a Kia/Hyundai/etc. Both will get the job done, one just may do so with more style, reliability, and with less depreciation in the long run.

04-07-2014 05:06 AM
    I guess the real question is - expensive relative to what? Pit a Mac against another PC of equivalent specs and build and you will probably find that the price difference isn't really that much. Take the iMac for example. That 27" IPS 2k monitor with integrated speakers and webcam easily costs half the price of the computer, so people who claim they can build an equivalent computer for less are likely flat-out lying.

Or take the 2013 Mac Pro, which can actually be cheaper than an equivalently spec'd workstation.

Also, I find that Apple products generally cause me fewer problems, so I expect an extra outlay to quickly pay for itself in the form of better productivity and fewer problems overall.

So all in all, for the quality I am getting, I don't really feel I am really paying any more compared to the next best alternative.
    wbeard385 likes this.
    04-07-2014 09:17 AM
    I think I've missed your correlation between the two. I'd think a better comparison would be between two different car manufactures. Not between a car and a bike.

A car is a mechanically driven vessel where a bike is a human driven one. They have cars that can drive themselves whereas that isn't possible with a bike.

I think a Mac to PC comparison isn't like apples to oranges as a car is to a bike. I think for me a Mac is like a BMW/Mercedes/etc and a PC is like a Kia/Hyundai/etc. Both will get the job done, one just may do so with more style, reliability, and with less depreciation in the long run.

Think it is because you see a difference between a PC and Mac, other than the operating system. Expensive 'windows laptops' also hold their value well.

A PC or Mac can both do graphic design, or word-processing, but the journey to that destination is made different by the OS, which is more expensive to produce than a piece of milled aluminium.

Wow, you have owned all those cars! Good for you.
    04-07-2014 10:31 AM
    Think it is because you see a difference between a PC and Mac, other than the operating system. Expensive 'windows laptops' also hold their value well.

A PC or Mac can both do graphic design, or word-processing, but the journey to that destination is made different by the OS, which is more expensive to produce than a piece of milled aluminium.

Wow, you have owned all those cars! Good for you.
    I have not owned all those cars, however being related to ASE certified mechanics does help me with product knowledge. Not to mention having them as friends and being pushed into changing my own oil too. Basic learning such as a Chilton manual can even tell you differences in quality of car parts.

Anyways, if you compare the quality of parts, performance, and longevity there are easy ways to gauge worth. For example; Look at the resale of a Mac VS a PC with similar specs and year of release, See the monetary effect? Same with cars. You'll never see any Kia/Hyundai/etc with exact specs across the board go for resale that a BMW/Mercedes/etc will.

This is even giving the Kia slightly BETTER specs! I'm pretty sure this is the most accurate comparison table between car models and computer models.

Sent from the colored one using Tapatalk
    04-07-2014 12:20 PM
    I am still far from conceding that iPCs are more expensive due to their zazziness. For me, two brands of car being manufactured from the same parts, and then being sold by different companies would be more accurate, which is why I used the curious bike/ car analogy, hoping that someone would draw an entirely car-focused analogy, such as yours, allowing me to present the lengthy riposte you now read.

Your impressive use of the internet to push colourful( audience) images into my face is compelling, the notion that it is enough to bend me at once to your will, misguided. The argument you made lacks an easily readable format. Whatever hypnotic suggestions, and spells, contained within the text did not reach me, as it was too tricky to compare fields.
    04-07-2014 08:11 PM
98 1234