Do Apple users find google "creepy"?

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Its my choice. I can still use Google's services if I want to. I only use Hangouts, email, Google Play, and Google Drive. I can make a hangouts account using a non Google account. I will use Outlook for email and Office online as a replacement for drive.

Wasn't discounting your choice. Was merely curious if you found the services better than Google. Wasn't judging or anything

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I don't find it creepy at all. I know they aren't using my data for anything malicious, and I've got nothing to hide.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I'll use a example of the girl from venture beat who decided to quit the entire internet because of paranoia about her identity being compromised or whatever. It was such a over exaggerated reaction. Oh, and she has since rejoined the internet, so I guess it didn't last long.

Really, I think a lot of people should stop going straight to the doom watch and just relax. Everyone's just assuming their identities are being stolen, sold, and prostituted out. And it's ridiculous quite frankly.

Call me naive, but I would like, you know, evidence that these company's are doing this before i just go to complete paranoia.

Last edited:

petalmasher

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
It's creepy because of how much it knows about you. As someone who used androids before getting a company IPhone, I am hooked on their services and have been for a long time, so they have quite a bit of info on me. I know that just about all companies are collecting information, but Google throws it back at you. When I open google now it knows just what kinds of news stories I want to see, what products I'm on the market for, where I work and how long my commute is, what time my favorite sports teams are playing. It's all very convenient, but I can see why it might cross the line into somewhat creepy territory. Google is like the stalker you never knew you wanted.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
It's creepy because of how much it knows about you. As someone who used androids before getting a company IPhone, I am hooked on their services and have been for a long time, so they have quite a bit of info on me. I know that just about all companies are collecting information, but Google throws it back at you. When I open google now it knows just what kinds of news stories I want to see, what products I'm on the market for, where I work and how long my commute is, what time my favorite sports teams are playing. It's all very convenient, but I can see why it might cross the line into somewhat creepy territory. Google is like the stalker you never knew you wanted.

Stalkers can be good. Especially, if they have a nice phone.

Sent from my MF003LL/A 🔘

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
I don't know if I'd describe it as creepy, but it is kind of disconcerting the amount of information they collect about users who sign up for their services. I understand it's the cost of doing business (using their services), so I generally try to at least be aware of what I say/do when using their services. I think they've done a wonderful job with their online services (for the most part), and the price of being able to use them is giving up information about myself. I have been making a conscious effort to use my iCloud account for more things lately (email, docs, contacts, etc.) as I feel Apple's iCloud is a more "private" place to keep those types of things. Apple's main business is selling devices and services and not so much targeting ads based on my browsing habits. That said, anything that goes on the Internet has the potential for being used for purposes of which you may not be aware. You just have to be careful with the information you upload.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I do worry about the increasing invasiveness of Google. But they are good at what they do. I do like my Gmail and YouTube, although YouTube has gotten bad. I use the app Jasmine for YouTube videos. Jasmine leaves out the BS.

Sent from from my iPhone 5

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
It's the way it is now, we either adapt to it or get off the internet. That's about as far as our choices are concerned

Sent from my iPhone 5s

DS1331

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Creepy? No.

Deeply reaching? Absolutely. They have their hand in pretty much everything you do online.

And you don't think apple would if they could? They would love to have their hands in on everything like Google does

Posted via the Android iMore App!

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Google should worship the ground that Apple walks on for not getting into the search business. I'd bet that if Apple started a search model like Google, it would probably overtake Google in 6-8 years from now.

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Google should worship the ground that Apple walks on for not getting into the search business. I'd bet that if Apple started a search model like Google, it would probably overtake Google in 6-8 years from now.

Wasn't there something about apple trying to purchase yahoo!? I might have the wrong information but I did hear that a while back

Sent from my iPhone 5s

DS1331

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
I disagree. Apple is not in the advertising business so they have no need to get their hands on everything. They make their money from hardware and media sales.

I don't believe that at all. Every business is based in making money and having your hand in everything makes you even more money so I believe apple would want to be involved in everything that Google is if it was a good opportunity for them to make money

Posted via the Android iMore App!

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
It's specific to the type of information that is available to Google at a whim vs. the NSA. There's simply no comparison there...Google, while quite far reaching, is not getting to the level of information that the NSA is privy to if they want to be. Google primarily focuses on advertising and money...if they're making a dime, that is where their focus is. NSA is focused on the entire SPECTRUM of information that you have ever put online, and that is creepy as hell. We're not talking your purchase trends online...we're talking every little detail of information you've ever shared, applied for, uploaded, downloaded, commented on, etc...your entire e-life. It's accumulated to an absolutely ridiculous point...and used in whatever fashion they see fit.

Imagine it kind of like this...think of a person who knows you the best and has known you that way the longest. The details they can recall, the traits they know you have and the history that person can recall about you. Now think about a co-worker or neighbor that has met you a few times and might see you a couple of times per week. The first person is not even on the level of the NSA...the second person is Google.

That analogy is an interesting analogy. Google has more employees than the NSA and a business model that requires them to know as much about you as they can gather. The analogy assumes I accept an irrational worry about the NSA. The program simply cannot be what most fear. They lack the manpower to do such a thing.

It's a bit silly to say the NSA has access to worlds more than Google when they're using companies like Google to retrieve the information. Sure, they can put together several of these databases, but that generally applies more towards gaining more people than more information about any typical individual. Most that use Google use a variety of Google services giving Google more information than you're admitting.

I'm not really worried about what Google, or the NSA, has on me. I'm just not going to pretend they're all that different.

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
That analogy is an interesting analogy. Google has more employees than the NSA and a business model that requires them to know as much about you as they can gather. The analogy assumes I accept an irrational worry about the NSA. The program simply cannot be what most fear. They lack the manpower to do such a thing.

It's a bit silly to say the NSA has access to worlds more than Google when they're using companies like Google to retrieve the information. Sure, they can put together several of these databases, but that generally applies more towards gaining more people than more information about any typical individual. Most that use Google use a variety of Google services giving Google more information than you're admitting.

I'm not really worried about what Google, or the NSA, has on me. I'm just not going to pretend they're all that different.

This was a great rebuttals to what you qouted. I'm going to give you some background of me really quick. I was a 35N in the military for 7 years. 5 of those years I was stationed in Ft. Meade Md. at the national security agency. Reading this post about what the NSA has at it's disposal and what they know is hilarious. Google has the same amount of knowledge if not more on you then the NSA could possibly have, and a much larger staff. Much much larger staff. Don't underestimate Google and their intentions because they're not "The Government"